Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

PURE QUALITY

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> PURE QUALITY Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PURE QUALITY - 19/3/2009 7:13:43 PM   
chrisdagnall

GREAT MOVIE. SAW THIS TODAY. CLINT'S AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND AND STILL AT THE PEAK OF HIS POWERS. GO SEE!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: PURE QUALITY - 21/3/2009 1:51:51 AM   
Samfran

Was it intentional for alot of scenes to be out of focus or was it a shit cinema screen I saw it at?

"It's simple. Kill the Batman"

(in reply to chrisdagnall)
Post #: 62
RE: PURE QUALITY - 21/3/2009 8:47:25 AM   
skeletonjack

I really enjoyed this, two hours solid entertainment from one of the best there is.
4 Stars

(in reply to Samfran)
Post #: 63
GET OFF MY LAWN!! - 23/3/2009 2:14:03 AM   
monty2

Fantastic film.Best film I've seen Clint in in years.Shares a lt in common with my other favourite film,SCENT OF A WOMAN an inaccesible ex-soldier struggling with their inner demons finding peace with the unlikeliest people. A film which can be as laugh-out loud,tense,and moving. And Clint's co-stars are great! How he meets his match with the teen girl next door,and how he teaches her brother to stand up for himself. Fantastic film.I will be buying it on DVD!

Post #: 64
RE: Very good film - with a few flaws - 23/3/2009 10:49:48 AM   
EdiWan Kenobi

How this film was over looked so tragically at the Oscars is beyond me, I thought it was simply beautiful.

So well performed by Eastwood, he is fantastic, the story really pulled me in without any thumping soundtracks and sweeping close ups on people, or birdseye shots of vast wilderness or cities, it was like watching a play on screen, a great return to real acting.

Well done Clint for one of the best movies I have ever seen.  Moving, funny and real.

WOULD EVERYONE PLEASE STOP GETTING SHOT!

(in reply to Marvel_79)
Post #: 65
Woeful acting - 25/3/2009 11:31:56 PM   
brads23184

This film could've been a lot better if they had some half decent actors to support Eastwood. Even he wasn't at his best! I agree with another reviewer who was embarrassed at how bad some of the deliver was from the priest and the neighbour girl. Not even worthy of the 3 stars. 2 and a half at best...

Post #: 66
- 2/4/2009 7:59:40 PM   
Mikaboshi

It was quite good, but mostly due to Eastwood's performance. Unfortunately I found the supporting cast to be poor most of the time, sometimes the acting was downright terrible, which severely hampered the film. Also the narrative could have been presented with more subtlety.

Post #: 67
just very good movie . - 28/4/2009 10:17:48 PM   
soulfood

Clint Eastwood has done a amazing job on this movie. Also this movie got to be.
One Clint best movie !

Post #: 68
2 hours of utter bollocks... - 1/5/2009 9:04:51 PM   
Jim Bob

...punctuated by half-a-dozen moments of pure Clint cool.

For a spectacularly rubbish film, this is rather good.

< Message edited by Jim Bob -- 1/5/2009 9:06:06 PM >

Post #: 69
RE: Gran Torino - 17/5/2009 6:23:00 PM   
craigmick

Here's my opinion on this film:

Viewed Ė 03 March 2009 Cinema

Isnít it great when you go into a film expecting something in particular, only to discover its something else entirely? That was the case with this come-back vehicle for screen legend Clint Eastwood after a wilderness period directing rather than starring. Clint plays an elderly war veteran who has just lost his wife, is somewhat estranged from his two sons (despite their best intentions) and lives in a street where most of the neighbours are foreign. All he seems to care about is his faithful dog Daisy and his classic 70ís Gran Torino muscle car.

Playing a mean, suspicious and generally unpleasant old guy would perhaps come as not great viewing if it was another actor, but in Clintís hands its charming, funny and extremely engrossing, as this set-in-his-ways man befriends a Chinese family after some trouble with a local gang of hoodlums, and discovers a new lease of life through a young boy who he seeís great potential in.

This is a gentle and emotional tale is held together by some great performances, a quality script and moments that pulled this viewer in and made him think about life and that ticking clock in all of us. If you have anyone who is elderly, be it a friend or relative this is guaranteed to tug at the heart strings, and with Clint still trying to be that tough unstoppable hero-with-an-edge honed so perfectly in Dirty Harry and the like, its also makes for great cinema. Additionally, the other cast members shine despite being newcomers (Clint chose real life kids from similar neighbourhoods to reflect authenticity, and it works).

One of the most memorable visits to the cinema Iíve had in a long while.

Verdict: 5 /5

< Message edited by craigmick -- 17/5/2009 6:24:19 PM >

Click on my name to visit profile.

Post #: 70
Fantastic - 11/6/2009 2:02:47 PM   
peterditoro

It has been a long time since I have left the cinema without being able to say anything more than…utterly brilliant. A fantastic piece of work by Eastwood and his team. Extremely powerful, funny and moving. A film that demonstrates why Clint Eastwood is the legend that he is. Why 4 stars Empire?

Post #: 71
- 13/6/2009 10:51:58 PM   
PureAinmhi

Thought this was absolutely brilliant. Was expecting something completely different when watching but I was pleasantly surprised. A must see and an absolutely electrifying performance by Eastwood.

Post #: 72
Gran Torino Works - 28/6/2009 12:38:54 AM   
Bradlfc

Having just watched this movie and having re-read the Empire verdict I'm struggling to understand why only 4 stars were offered. This movie reminded me of Million Dollar Baby in some ways, not least the tear provoking ending, even if the outcome was a little more predictable. Another great acting and directorial performance by Eastwood. Superb.

Post #: 73
Didn't Expect This To Be Good. - 28/6/2009 9:54:18 AM   
joanna likes films

I was blown away by this film, I didn't expect it to be so damn good. At first, I thought "Yawn, yet a another Clint Eastwood film that's will bag Oscars and be one of those masterpieces people say it is." Then I saw it at my rental place so I gave it a chance, well I was wrong all the way. Eastwood is amazing, totally outstanding this is his best role ever. The film is gripping stuff from the first fifteen minutes to the last few seconds, Walt is a brilliant character and wouldn't be seen much in other films of late. I highly recomemded this to anyone who can sit through this, it has some many laugh out loud moments along with touching and tense scenes. Five stars.

Post #: 74
Didn't Expect This To Be Good. - 28/6/2009 9:54:19 AM   
joanna likes films

I was blown away by this film, I didn't expect it to be so damn good. At first, I thought "Yawn, yet a another Clint Eastwood film that's will bag Oscars and be one of those masterpieces people say it is." Then I saw it at my rental place so I gave it a chance, well I was wrong all the way. Eastwood is amazing, totally outstanding this is his best role ever. The film is gripping stuff from the first fifteen minutes to the last few seconds, Walt is a brilliant character and wouldn't be seen much in other films of late. I highly recomemded this to anyone who can sit through this, it has some many laugh out loud moments along with touching and tense scenes. Five stars.

Post #: 75
Quintessential Eastwood - 23/7/2009 9:47:07 PM   
stevos

Liked it, but why do Warner Bros films have such low volume on their DVD's!!! I can never hear the dialogue!!

Post #: 76
RE: Quintessential Eastwood - 8/9/2009 9:46:07 AM   
LEEJGM

I just saw this last night and I must say it is the best film I've seen this year.  I absolutely loved it and can't recommend it enough. I've always been a fan of Eastwood and he seems to be getting better and better as a director.  The man is truly a genius. 

(in reply to stevos)
Post #: 77
"GRRRRRRR...GET OFF MY LAWN" - 8/9/2009 12:41:03 PM   
THE DALTONATOR

Funny, Moving, Powerful, Gripping and as usual a superb performance from Clint Eastwood.

Post #: 78
RE: "GRRRRRRR...GET OFF MY LAWN" - 8/9/2009 2:52:16 PM   
Achtung Englander

are you guys all on drugs ?

It was riddled with cliche characters and an ending that was utterly unrealistic.

(in reply to THE DALTONATOR)
Post #: 79
RE: "GRRRRRRR...GET OFF MY LAWN" - 8/9/2009 2:58:01 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Achtung Englander

are you guys all on drugs ?

It was riddled with cliche characters and an ending that was utterly unrealistic.

What was unrealistic about the ending? Not baiting, just interested.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 80
RE: "GRRRRRRR...GET OFF MY LAWN" - 8/9/2009 3:04:20 PM   
Achtung Englander

SPOLIERS

He was dying right and his last wish was to give his life to save some Chinese people he knew for 2 weeks after harbouring a predujice of Koreans for over 60 years. Wow - what a transition

During his confession he didn't even feel remorse for the Koreans

< Message edited by Achtung Englander -- 8/9/2009 3:13:48 PM >

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 81
RE: "GRRRRRRR...GET OFF MY LAWN" - 8/9/2009 3:19:48 PM   
gunstar

But the whole film up until that point is about the relationship he built up with his neighbors - that's what the film is about and why I think so many people like it. It shows a man who's attitude does change. I thought the gradual way that his opinion shifted was quite well done.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 82
RE: "GRRRRRRR...GET OFF MY LAWN" - 8/9/2009 3:29:04 PM   
Achtung Englander

ok

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 83
RE: Very good film - with a few flaws - 9/9/2009 3:05:56 PM   
Tank Boy

It was decent, but felt a little contrived.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 84
This movie should have won an oscar - 9/1/2010 12:21:59 PM   
Francis46

I think that the Empire review falls short of stating just how good this is. Gran Torino is the movie business at its peak by one of the all-time legends of the industry. How this film was not given the Best film oscar escapes me.

Post #: 85
RE: This movie should have won an oscar - 11/3/2010 10:04:08 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Finally got round to watching this today and thought it was magnificent!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Francis46)
Post #: 86
RE: This movie should have won an oscar - 12/3/2010 12:24:08 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Must say, I was disappointed by this movie and this coming from someone whose love of everything Eastwood does borders on idolatry.

Up until the last five minutes of the film I was overlooking the terrible acting from some of the supporting cast many of whom I'm assuming had never done any screen acting before (and it showed) and I was all ready to leave thinking it was a good, solid Clint film.

But, then came the ending ...

**** SPOILERS AHEAD ****

The whole point about what the 'gang' did to the girl was the fact that there were 'no witnesses'. And by that, they meant there were plenty of witnesses but because of the fear factor no one would dare stand up as a witness for fear of reprisal. So, why would Clint do what he did knowing this and knowing that no one would dare be a witness? So that his death would therefore most likely be in vain? Secondly, the film then goes and breaks its own rules because suddenly everyone isn't afraid anymore and decides to be a witness. And finally - and maybe this is purely because I have absolutely no faith in the judicial system - I came away thinking "yes, well Clint might have got a few of those kids banged up, but the rest of their buddies will be pumping holes in the Hmong family the next day". Maybe I've lived in North West London too long, but I have Jamaican yardies pretty much on every street and even the police daren't get involved most of the time so the ending just didn't ring true and I went away feeling mighty disappointed.

**** SPOILERS END ****

So, up until the final 5 minutes I would have given it a 7/10 (losing a mark for weak casting and acting) but after those last five minutes I'd have to dock one or two more points.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 87
RE: This movie should have won an oscar - 20/3/2010 9:01:20 PM   
TheSpleen

Finished it today. Hope Eastwood does make it his last film as an actor, it's a great way to go out. He was very good in it. Everyone else was terrible from an acting standpoint but i think maybe he did that on purpose as it amplified anything he did. Saw what the third act would be a mile off so yeah maybe it's a bit predictable but i enjoyed every minute of it.
4 out of 5.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 88
RE: This movie should have won an oscar - 21/4/2010 6:28:07 AM   
empire No. 1

the most grossly overrated film since, perhaps, forest gump. the asian lead was crap. 5/10 i love most eastwood, by the way

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 89
RE: This movie should have won an oscar - 21/4/2010 11:29:48 AM   
Edward Nygma

I wonder if Clint purposely hired some of the worst actors ever around him so that he would shine in comparison...

I like the premise of Gran Torino but the way it was done was just...I don't know you could tell an old man was directing it, lets just say that. In a nutshell, It was kinda like...

"Get off my lawn punk, I hate you and your kiiiiind...grrrr..."
"But I've been working as your personal slave and gave you Asian food...and beer!"
"You're right kid, you're alright...urrr...I have a car y'know"
"Is that relevant?"
"No...no it isn't...but I have it"
"Oh no my sister's in trouble! If only a white old man was there to, I dunno, defend us somehow..."
"I'll be right back kiddo, just gotta go and record a creepy song about my car before I become a hero and therefore stop being a racist old CU Next Tuesday entirely"

The end, all hail the king of cheeeeeeese.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to empire No. 1)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> PURE QUALITY Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI