Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gran Torino

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Gran Torino Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gran Torino - 6/2/2009 8:51:30 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
No Stopping Him - 6/2/2009 8:51:30 AM   
kornflake

Seen this about a month ago..great stuff. Whilst only grumbling and grunting through most of the movie, he still manages to outshine most actors half his age in this one film. Hope its not the last time he'll be onscreen. Also seen Changling last night.... brilliant.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: No Stopping Him - 11/2/2009 11:56:51 AM   
kargon

I'm a big Clint fan, so anything he does I'll watch. After seeing the trailer for this I wasn't getting my hopes up. But it's a pretty good film, it's not what I expected at all, which was it taking the American formulaic route for this type of movie. It may not be his greatest but it's alot better than some of his other films which let's face it are substandard. I advise you to give it a look

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to kornflake)
Post #: 3
RE: Gran Torino - 14/2/2009 10:56:22 PM   
m_er

*spoilers ahead*

GRAN TORINO

Excellent. Great entertainment, great script, Clint did it again. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Sod off the negativ reviews. I hugely recommend it. I LOVE THIS MAN eh, Clint's a great direcor and an actor. And, oh, yeah the song (sung a part by Clint himself) was so heart-broken and sweet. I made a quick search and found it and listened at least 15 times one after the other !!!

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

Post #: 4
Phenomenal! - 15/2/2009 1:15:58 AM   
jace007

I won't dwell too much with a review as Empire have taken care of that, very effectively. All I will say is that I saw this in California last December, with a very appreciative audience that clearly loves Clint. For me, Eastwood is the last living American icon of the big screen; Springsteen for music.

Why do fart-arse movies like Benjamin Button get 5-stars and this only gets 4?? Do Empire reviewers like to suck David Fincher's dick? Evidently so.

Post #: 5
- 16/2/2009 1:41:20 PM   
bennie

this is already shaping up to be one of the most overrated movies of the year...the script is poor and simplistic and reads more like a flabby first draft...its contains reams and reams of unnessary expositional dialogue...so many scenes in this movie simply dont ring true...from the OTT grandkids (which in fairness was acknowledged in empires review) to when the Thao wins over the irish foreman with his "manly" talk, one cringe inducing scene seemed to follow the next...also crucially clint failed to get a decent performance out of the young actor who played Thao...what annoyed me the most was how clint played the cumudging rascist...you never where really left with the disgust that should be felt by such behaviour as it was played in an almost comic way...

Post #: 6
- 16/2/2009 2:07:40 PM   
kneerash

I have to agree with bennie this is looking like its going to be vastly overated. No doubt Eastwood is brilliant owning every scene he is in. The problem is everyone else in the film is poor. The kid Tao is simply awful for the majority of the film although he does improve towards the end (working with Clint must have paid off) and the girl Sue is not convincing in the slightest. If it had been anyone else in the role of Walt this would get 1 star, as Eastwood is so good I would go for 3 but no way a great move, just a great, great performance in a poor film and remember Empire this is a review of the film as a whole, not just Clint....

Post #: 7
It's BRILLIANT - 16/2/2009 6:41:07 PM   
Taz69

For the first half it really is like Walt Kowalski is Dirty Harry in his retiremt. All grinding and filled with hatred for others (foreign or just young people in general), but then his heart opens and warms to his to his neighbours. as ours do to him.Alright it looks pretty low budget but it like his direction it's lean and functional with the odd bit of flair (the last scene of the final confrontation is well done). Sure apart from his outstanding turn the acting is also pretty functional but when he's this great you're only seeing Sir Clint.
And lets not forget the coolest of cool american muscle cars - the Gran Torino. I just wish Steve McQueen drove that instead of the Mustang in Bullitt beacuse the Gran Torino looks awesome where the Mustang is just cool-ish.

< Message edited by Taz69 -- 17/2/2009 6:33:22 PM >

Post #: 8
It's BRILLIANT - 16/2/2009 6:41:10 PM   
Taz69

-ishFor the first half it really is like Walt Kowalski is Dirty Harry in his retiremt. All grinding and filled with hatred for others (foreign or just young people in general), but then his heart opens and warms to his to his neighbours. as ours do to him.Alright it looks pretty low budget but it like his direction it's lean and functional with the odd bit of flair (the last scene of the final confrontation is well done). Sure apart from his outstanding turn the acting is also pretty functional but when he's this great you're only seeing Sir Clint.
And lets not forget the coolest of cool american muscle cars - the Gran Torino. I just wish Steve McQueen drove that instead of the Mustang in Bullitt beacuse the Gran Torino looks awesome where the Mustang is just cool.

< Message edited by Taz69 -- 17/2/2009 6:34:36 PM >

Post #: 9
seriously, whats all the fuss about? - 16/2/2009 6:46:22 PM   
gordon_m_b

im first to admit that im not a fan of eastwood, he just doesnt do it for me. changling was brilliant, he CAN direct, but i truely feel this movie should the final nail in his acting coffin. He was poor, simple as. For example; if an actor wants to appear menacing, angry or what-not, he shouldnt growl 10 times in 90mins, its called demonstrating, its what amatuers do. sorry if people dont agree, it is just my opinion. others will enjoy it, and thats fine. for me tho, this is last movie i will watch that includes eastwood in an acting role.

Post #: 10
- 20/2/2009 11:12:07 PM   
Romarth

In terms of acting showmanship - though only from its lead - Eastwood’s swansong is a histrionic marvel, near-essential viewing and a fitting ending (though hopefully not) for the movie icon. In terms of plot, Gran Torino is embarrassingly cliché, disappointingly mundane, and hardly adds to the sum of its parts.

Post #: 11
Gran Torino - 22/2/2009 12:58:58 PM   
moviemaniac2

Clint growls and spits his way through Gran Torino, an often heavy-handed story about redemption and righting society's wrongs but also a story that's so easy to get on board with. Clint plays racist Walt Kowalski, a gruff Korean War veteran who, lives in an Asian neighbourhood with only his prized possession for company - a mint condition 1972 Gran Torino. Gran Torino can be angry and full of despair at society's ills but differs in that it's also sweet and funny when it wants to be too. The movie's success will live and die with Eastwood's character and his performance: Walt Kowalski is a 78-year-old Dirty Harry, his wrath now impotent with age and is reduced to sitting on his front porch sipping beers, shaking his head at the youth of today. Eastwood's take on Walt gives him a rounded persona and there's a certain enjoyment in spending time with him - but only because we know we don't have to live next door. Eastwood understands to never underestimate the power of an audience's empathy with a character. Gran Torino is not without its faults, however. Eastwood's co-stars can't hold their own when pitted against him; Gran Torino is a decent movie to end a career on but Eastwood, and it's a shame he wasn't nominted for an Oscar

Post #: 12
RE: Gran Torino - 23/2/2009 10:30:28 AM   
MOTH

A fairly formulaic drama (although surprisingly amusing in parts), elevated by a great turn from Clint Eastwood, who breathes life and believabilty into a somewhat caricatured character and pretty much exudes the sort of star quality other actors can only dream about. Worth seeing for him alone (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 13
RE: Gran Torino - 25/2/2009 11:17:24 PM   
lympo

I saw this film tonight ans the reception from the audience was superb. The film contained more humour that I thought it would. Towards the end I felt a hatred towards that bloody gang..almost the same feeling towards the pesky kids in Eden Lake.

If you read this,you are stupid.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 14
RE: Gran Torino - 26/2/2009 1:24:43 PM   
chavez

gran torino is a must see. clint still kicks ass. one of the best films i have seen in a while.

(in reply to lympo)
Post #: 15
RE: Gran Torino - 26/2/2009 7:40:17 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Just superb from start to finish, as much as I've enjoyed some of this year's films I've not in the same way I was engrossed in Gran Torino... Clint is superb (where was his oscar nom?) whilst the story engages and amused in equal measure... I even felt a tear at the end... simply excellent

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to chavez)
Post #: 16
- 26/2/2009 7:46:31 PM   
chopperr69

a very funny film, loved it, it made my night

Post #: 17
Loved it - 26/2/2009 11:24:14 PM   
tysmuse

Saw this earlier tonight, I think it's outstanding. There is nothing here that i've not seen before (except maybe the ending) but I've never seen it done this well. Really did make my day/week/year, can't believe this didn't get some AA recognition. Eastwood was remarkable, both in front and behind the camera. I've never really thought Eastwood to be that special, but after seeing this I'm definitely going to check out his other work.

Post #: 18
Good Watch - 27/2/2009 12:49:45 AM   
slimmy

Just finished watching this film and i really enjoyed it. Eastwood was great, sometimes dodgy acting from others, but all round very good. I like the plot and it was well written, and quite funny at times. Not just a definate watch for Eastwood fans, but for everyone who likes films!!

Post #: 19
RE: Good Watch - 27/2/2009 1:49:39 PM   
PerfectlyFlawed

Outstanding piece of cinema.

Clint Eastwood is a true legend in every sense of the word.

10/10

(in reply to slimmy)
Post #: 20
RE: Good Watch - 28/2/2009 7:23:01 PM   
adambatman82

saw this today and adored it. i cant quite understand why clint wasnt nominated for best actor, it was one of the most commanding roles iv seen this (oscar) year. im a big fan of clint's work, and even tho im gutted to see him quit the screen this was the perfect swansong.

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 21
RE: Good Watch - 28/2/2009 7:34:24 PM   
Starscream

Enjoyed it and surprisingly its got its funny moments as well, even though its essentially Dirty Harry the retired years. Clint Eastwood is head and shoulder the best thing about this film other than the Gran Torino itself.

8/10

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 22
Powerful and moving - 28/2/2009 8:21:42 PM   
bretty

Brilliant film with Clint and cast in fine form. This is thoughtful, clever, funny and moving. As Empire points out, if Clint calls it a day after this one, it would be a fitting tribute to a legend.

Post #: 23
Gran Torino - 28/2/2009 10:32:27 PM   
Indio

I thought this was OK but just a little bit of a disappointment to be honest. Eastwood is excellent as always, but some of the other performances (the actors playing Thao and the priest being the main culprits) didn't really come up to scratch. There also seemed to be a few plot holes (we're told the Hmong keep things to themselves, but after the denouement we're then told by the police that there are many witnesses to whats just happened), but overall the film works, its just that while its kind of admirable that Eastwood winds things up in a way that is pretty much the opposite of Unforgiven it all seems to end up seeming a bit of an anticlimax by the time the credits roll.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 24
RE: Gran Torino - 28/2/2009 10:45:08 PM   
MI Cruise

When to the cinema to watch this last night.
If this is the final movie Clint makes then I want to watch it on the bigscreen I was thinking flop or hit.
My first Eastwood movie was The Enforcer and since then he's been my favourite one of my favourite actors.
Gran Torino saw the trailer two days ago and it looked really good, Clint may be 78 but he can still throw a punch to some 20 year old wannabe punks.
The movie was excellent not turing to emotional and not trying to hard to be a coming of age comedy, it stayed the right side of drama and really deserves a 5 star review from Empire. Clint Eastwood has again made a great movie, directing and acting wise.

5/5

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 25
RE: Gran Torino - 28/2/2009 11:38:22 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

we're told the Hmong keep things to themselves, but after the denouement we're then told by the police that there are many witnesses to whats just happened

I think the implication is that the gang live in another part of town, certainly two of their neighbours are a middle-aged white couple, the neighbours being the witnesses.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 26
Gran Torino - 1/3/2009 11:19:54 AM   
Blue Ryan

This filmis superb. Witty, submersive and a truly gritty climax.

Post #: 27
stunning - 1/3/2009 8:26:41 PM   
leroythemasochist

a true legend at work. lean, mean, yet funny and touching. clint is a true original at a time when others are so desperate, for some bizzare reason, carbon copies of one another - he simply doesn't care about what's meant to be fashionable or trendy - he just IS.
A film with a real story at its heart and meat on its bones.
thank you Clint for still making great movies and for never, not once, doing what other people thought you should.
Here's to many more directorial or acting roles from the great man.

Post #: 28
Very good film - with a few flaws - 1/3/2009 8:56:18 PM   
TheHazman

I saw this last night. Really enjoyed it. Clint was great as usual. very scary at momments then very funny and touching in others. It was a simple story but a very engaging one.

The only thing that let it down were some of the other actors. The lad who played tao was terrible at points.

Other than that great

Post #: 29
RE: Very good film - with a few flaws - 2/3/2009 10:40:27 AM   
Goodfella

Thoroughly entertaining. Just like 'Taken' which I watched the day before, this is a fairly typical but still highly enjoyable American thriller. Clint was fantastic and whilst this one won't win any awards it should keep 99.9% of the cinema audience happy.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to TheHazman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Gran Torino Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI