Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - 2/2/2009 6:43:40 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Down to personal taste, I guess - 2/2/2009 6:43:40 PM   
Arkduune

Sorry, with all due respect, I disagree with your opinion Mr. Freer.
I found this a long, dull, boring, lifeless tale. It had not the charm of Forrest Gump or the fantasy of Big Fish. Benjamin Button I found to be a plain character. Not nearly as interesting as one would expect coming from such a strange perspective. I admit the cinematography was elegant and Cate Blanchett gave a beautiful performance, but Brad Pitt seemed stiff and stagnant. I felt he missed a big opportunity to doing something really special with what that role had to offer. It was a nice idea for a romance story with an intriguing twist, but failed to stand out as something of worth. My opinion only people. If you liked it, whatever, y'know.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Fincher's worst so far... - 2/2/2009 7:11:28 PM   
ARmy2510

Is that review looks like it looks like cause Button has got 13 Oscars nomination? But... this is not a great movie. Esteticly is almost awesome but plot and last 20 minutes are simply bad. This is a copy of Forrest Gump.
Benjamin Button is the worst Fincher's movie so far. There's not so emotional as I expected. Too long, too boring and Pitt was better in "Interview with Vampire". Great Blanchett and greater Swinton but.. WHAT is this movie ABOUT?... Where is the main thought?

Post #: 3
Aging Backwards Brought To Life! - 2/2/2009 8:17:35 PM   
Boydcape

Once hearing the title of David Fincher’s new movie you instantly think ‘why is Fincher doing a movie for kids?’, but it’s only until you hear what the movie’s about do you get so intrigued that you feel like you have to know more. The Curious Case tells a love story which you instantly know is impossible to work out well in the end, but the true art of the film is not the emotional love story; instead it’s the way Fincher depicts Benjamin’s life. You might think that a film of somebody’s entire lifetime could drag on, but no, it is a constant rush of comical and startling cinema, watching how a man can age and adapt through each decade, telling the tale of various key moments in his life. Fincher is truly determined to show the beauty of how Pitt grows and shrinks from the age of 95 to 5. Fincher has gone in a surprising angle in some parts of this film rather; rather than heading for an emotional or picturesque scene he has added comedy or maybe some silliness. This movie is a true challenge for all of actors within it, as they have to show their character develop and age over generations; the results were astonishingly successful. From David Fincher yo would normally expect a serial killer or violent gore, but instead we are presented with a Forrest Gump, or Titanic-like movie which tells a beautiful love story from the past.

FinalVerdict: A masterpiece of a movie which tells the story of a whole lifetime is less than 3 hours: showcasing David Fincher’s true art of storytelling.

Post #: 4
Three stars at best - 2/2/2009 10:34:08 PM   
coopster

Definitely agree with the comments here. Having loved everything Fincher has done (including Alien3) I was thoroughly disappointed. I didn't connect with this in any way and to some extent found the story quite empty and emotionally manipulative (such as Titanic). Can't fault the acting though.

Post #: 5
Amazing...go and see it. - 2/2/2009 11:24:41 PM   
ChesterCopperpot

I've had this on a download for about a month now and it still never ceases to amaze. I totally see where the three star gang are coming from but I have to disagree and say that this is Fincher's most accomplished film yet. I'm going to see it this weekend to soak it all up properly and as a way of making myself feel not quite as guilty as I do for downloading it. BB is one of the most brilliant films I've seen in a long time and I'll be cheering it on come Oscar time. Especially Pitt and Fincher who deserve heap after heap of praise piled on them. This movie is pure magic.

Post #: 6
The Curious Case of Forrest Gump - 3/2/2009 4:53:31 AM   
bbbbeeeennnn

Everyone should see this video: Go to FunnyorDie.com and watch the Curious Case of Forrest Gump. It is video from Curious Case and from Forrest Gump and it shows just how much Eric Roth steals from himself. Everybody seems to be wondering how Fincher pulled off mushy filmmaking and this video shows how: he copied Robert Zemeckis! No, not quite but still, its a pretty funny video.

Post #: 7
big fish paralles not gump - 3/2/2009 6:02:10 AM   
miketang99

this was an amazing movie to watch and i have to agree with many of the reviews that it draws it parallels from forest gump. however aftre reading the empire review, whcih was lovingly wrritten by Mr Freer it changed my mind. to think back over the movie it mad eme think more about big fish the tim burton movie that should have been huge but ended up beign a bit muddled. this movie was much more delicate than both gump and fish and in that respect is much better! i hope fincher does make more of these but in all honesty whatever he makes i will watch! even Zodiac (for which i wathced and felt nothing first time) was still watchable thriller second time round when your expectations for a big show boat finish are removed

Post #: 8
Can't agree with the three stars! - 3/2/2009 4:15:24 PM   
jameslowe

I have no idea what the people were watching who gave this movie poor reveiws. True, it isn't to everyones tastes. True also that it has aspects in common with other movies,....but then so does EVERY MOVIE OUT THERE! Even the 'origionality' of movies like The Matrix draw upon aspects of many other films and resources, so that arguement simply holds no relevance at all. It does indeed have a similar tone to movies such as Titanic and Forest Gump, and wait a minute....didn't they both make bucketloads of money and receive recognition by the academy as fantastic movies so they actually can't be that bad. I thoroughly enjoyed both movies, for what they were. I equally enjoy serial killers, slasher movies, brainless eighties action, and cheesy science fiction. Movies should be recognised for what they are trying to achieve and judged on this basis, not simply on a love and hate basis. There is a beautiful message hidden within this movie, and it is one that compliments the tragedy inherent in it's subject matter. It's a shame that some can't take the time to recognise and appreciate this whether or not it is your 'cup of tea'. Fantastic acting, sets, makeup, special effects and story line. Not to mention sumptuous cinematography. It IS a 5 star movie,....by definition!

Post #: 9
"Her Face Couldn't Be More Weathered" - 3/2/2009 7:57:49 PM   
benskelly

Way to insult a lovely actress, buttmunch. I'll take Julia Ormand's beautiful and age-appropriate face any day of the week. I'm not sure what the point of that comment was but it seems thoughtless and cruel. In my own personal taste, I'd much rather have seen the voluptuous, soft, sensuous Ormand as the heroine here than bony horsefaces like Blanchett and Swinton. To each his own.

Post #: 10
"Her Face Couldn't Be More Weathered" - 3/2/2009 8:02:30 PM   
benskelly

Sorry, repeat.

< Message edited by benskelly -- 3/2/2009 8:04:25 PM >

Post #: 11
- 4/2/2009 2:58:08 PM   
Kittys_Gremlin

Beautiful, moving & heartbreaking. Suppose this could be considered more of a chick flick compared to Fincher's other films (all of which bar alien 3 I love), but I loved seeing him work out of his comfort zone. Although comparisons to Forrest Gump are inevitable, I thought this film was far superior, even spliced with some of Fincher's trademark random shots
My only criticism was that in some parts the storytelling felt slightly uneven as it kept cutting to the present day, but this is only a minor quibble which doesn't deny it any stars =)

Post #: 12
- 5/2/2009 4:41:50 AM   
WiseGuy101

GOOD BUT IM NOT EXPECTING IT TO WIN THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR. PITTS ACTING HAS A SLIGHT CHANCE AT MAKING HIM AN INDUCTEE INTO THE ACADEMY'S LIST OF BEST ACTOR WINNERS. IT WAS THE MAKEUP THAT IMPRESSED ME.

Post #: 13
Benjamin Button - 6/2/2009 10:15:15 PM   
moviemaniac2

The effects are predictably marvellous, and, impeccably inserted into the frame. There is even very little mention of made of the disease inflicted on Benjamin, as the film is played without so much of a sprinkle of whimsy. Pitt has always excelled while working with Fincher, and this is probably the most well-rounded performance he has ever given. It's an extremely complex role to pull off - but he never once oversells it, conveying endlessly conflicted emotions with an almost pragmatic coolness. Blanchett is also excellent, further cementing her status as one of the finest actresses . Henson for her hugely affecting turn as Ben's maternal surrogate. A superbly told, genuinely beautiful tale that will already take some beating for Film of 2009.

Post #: 14
Button - 6/2/2009 10:15:56 PM   
durelius

A wonderful film that made me think alot about my own life. Will Brad Pitt or Cate Blanchet ever give a bad performance ? I think not. This film deserves an oscar for something/someone.

Post #: 15
- 7/2/2009 5:15:43 PM   
Ace Rothstein

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is not to all tastes. It is sentimental, occasionally pretensious and lacks a sense of narrative but the performances are terrific, as is the cinematography and special effects. On a technical level, it is superb but what makes the near three hours fly by is Pitt's terrific performance and a consistently enjoyable storyline. Benjamin Button is not without flaws but is well worth your time. The film has been teared into by some critics( hello, Newsnight review) but Fincher is a great director and although the result does not achieve masterpiece status, the film is Hollywood storytelling at its best.

Post #: 16
- 7/2/2009 5:15:53 PM   
Ace Rothstein

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is not to all tastes. It is sentimental, occasionally pretensious and lacks a sense of narrative but the performances are terrific, as is the cinematography and special effects. On a technical level, it is superb but what makes the near three hours fly by is Pitt's terrific performance and a consistently enjoyable storyline. Benjamin Button is not without flaws but is well worth your time. The film has been teared into by some critics( hello, Newsnight review) but Fincher is a great director and although the result does not achieve masterpiece status, the film is Hollywood storytelling at its best.

Post #: 17
after crying - 7/2/2009 7:23:09 PM   
HarryHavoc

for about a good twenty minutes after the film ended, I just realised I watched such an enjoyable film. It was moving, funny and compelling.

The lightnening scenes had the whole cinema in fits of laughterr :)

Post #: 18
- 7/2/2009 8:03:48 PM   
mccachar02

Maybe a little long but the great acting by all the leads helps it get away with it.

Post #: 19
- 7/2/2009 8:52:05 PM   
Romarth

It’s a fascinating story, and one that is told through meticulously stunning visuals, but it’s difficult to conceal such a surprisingly wide range of clunking clichés and seen-it-before set pieces.

Post #: 20
meh - 7/2/2009 9:22:21 PM   
maxthom

to be honest. it was all a little stale. the settings were good, the lightning scenes were funny, but mainly it was pretty dull, very self-righteous and Benjamin button was a very boring character

Post #: 21
- 8/2/2009 9:28:27 AM   
scotty_da_legend

brilliant movie, emotional amusing shocking and all over fascinating, the movie industry needs more films like this!

Post #: 22
A Beautiful Masterpiece - 8/2/2009 11:26:25 AM   
Ben Lee

I can't understand why this film is receiving such a muted response from the critics in general. In my opinion, this is cinematic gold, worthy of every single one of its 13 Oscar nominations. Constructed with incredible depth and emotion, David Fincher has created a pure masterpiece, full of movie magic.

Technically, the film is goliath, with insiprational visual effects and a powerfully haunting musical score by Alexandre Desplat among many of the tremendous technical credits on display. Pitt is subtly breathtaking in the titular role, whilst he is given superb support from the rest of the top-notch cast.

Overall, this is a mesmerising film from start to finish. Well done to the Academy for recognising Benjamin Button as the classic that it has infinite potential to be!!!

Post #: 23
RE: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - 8/2/2009 12:58:43 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Brad Pitt grows younger with good special effects...and what?

Post #: 24
A Rarity. let's enjoy it. - 8/2/2009 1:24:09 PM   
claudemg

This is a film that gets to your heart more than to your mind. It's one of those movies filmed in the classical tradition. Some of us may have even forgotten what it feels like to be completely swept away by a story and so moved by the outcome. As i sat there and watched TCCOBB, all I could think to myself was 'this is why i go to the movies'. Pure cinematic bliss. Visually, Artistically, intellectually, this film is the best to come along in years.

Post #: 25
RE: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - 8/2/2009 1:32:39 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryan_D_Bell

Brad Pitt grows younger with good special effects...and what?

says the guy with the transformers av.

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 26
Pure quality!! - 8/2/2009 2:23:09 PM   
Deacon Frost

As a fan of Fincher, I was most interested to see what would come of this..I wasn't let down. An unusual, yet strangely compelling tale, beautifully rendered. The technical effects and make up should surely be a cert for oscar glory. As for the story, true, the mammoth running time and quiet nature will be the enemy of the fidgeters out there, if you persevere and allow yourself to be immersed into this, it is a very rewarding experience. A story of depth, humour, heart, seizing the day,cherishing the moments and memory of others, life/death you name it. Five stars absolutely. One of the most ambitious, well executed and accomplished films I have seen in recent years. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Post #: 27
A Perfect Film? - 8/2/2009 7:53:54 PM   
SonnyDaze

An antidote to modern times, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is epic, enthralling and achingly beautiful. It may well be one of the best films I've ever seen...

Post #: 28
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 8/2/2009 8:59:29 PM   
jncorbett

Stunning film, probably the best contender for the Oscars for my money.

So much to enjoy, and definitely want to see it again because I'm sure it's a film that will yield more on repeat viewings.

Post #: 29
RE: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - 8/2/2009 9:34:21 PM   
captainrentboy

Saw it this afternoon. Absolutely stunning visuals, with seamless CGI throughout. The acting was top notch, Pitt was particularly effective whilst playing Benjamin as a young boy with an old man's body, Blanchet and Swinton were also on impressive form.
BUT, I can't help but feel that once you take away the fantastic effects you're left with a film that for a good 40-50 minutes of its runtime felt like it was going nowhere and was occasionally really quite bland, the middle section dragged ever so slightly for me, and only really picked up again when Brad was looking his youngest and was once again reunited with Daisy, and from there it steamrolled on to quite a poignant climax.
I'd give it 3.5 maybe a 4/5 at the very most.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI