Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Punisher: War Zone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Punisher: War Zone Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Punisher: War Zone - 2/2/2009 6:57:06 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 2/2/2009 6:57:06 AM   
muchobenny

Certificate U, is that a joke?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 2/2/2009 9:38:42 AM   
captainrentboy

...... That was the review was it? Did the writer of it actually get paid for those 3 lines?
Wow, I know where I want to work now.
I'm still going to see it, after watching The Wire I'm a big fan of Dominic West, so I want to see what he's done with the Jigsaw role. Although from what I've read he's supposedly stupidly OTT, ohh well as long as there are some daft action scenes I'll be entertained.
(I'm not a fan of wasting money btw, it's just that I have A LOT of Odeon vouchers to use)

(in reply to muchobenny)
Post #: 3
Poor Review - 2/2/2009 10:26:43 AM   
BOOOM

I have to say for such a normally in depth magazine this review is the worst of its kind. Barely 2 paragraphs, little detail and full of wrong info ( a U certificate anyone?) this is a shambolic review. Get Kim Newman or someone with some detail to write it. You could talk about its box office failure in the US, maybe analyse why it doesn't translate well to films. Pull your socks up Empire.

Post #: 4
RE: Poor Review - 2/2/2009 12:16:42 PM   
CORLEONE

Got to agree with the others here. Terrible review. Done at 4.59pm on Friday by the looks of it.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to BOOOM)
Post #: 5
RE: Poor Review - 2/2/2009 12:43:40 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well I'm still looking forward to it. Emprie weren't fans of Rambo either and I'm expecting similar levels of violence with this one.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 6
GOOD REVIEW - 2/2/2009 1:02:18 PM   
Halo14

Listen up couch critics. Stop your moaning!!! I would understand your complaints if this were a review of a movie like LOTR, or Terminator Salvation. BUT, it's a review of a very crap movie indeed. ONLY WORTHY OF ONE OR TWO PARAGRAPHS. So, Empire, keep up the good work. And to the rest - SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Have a good day.

Post #: 7
A Jolly Romp? - 2/2/2009 1:04:07 PM   
sanchia

As a U certificate it should be a jolly family friendly romp at least.

Post #: 8
RE: A Jolly Romp? - 2/2/2009 3:11:50 PM   
Bishi

I agree with Rgirvan44, Empire did not think much of Rambo however i thought it was pretty good (i only expected excess gore and not much else so easily pleased i suppose), with 'The Punisher' i really liked Thomas Jane and thought John Travolta was what ruined it. Anyway yes i have to agree a more in depth review is needed please because deep down we know its not going to get fantastic reviews after all its 'The Punisher' all you need to expect is ultra violence (hopefully) with some entertaining fight scenes despite a predictable crap story line.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
- 2/2/2009 4:17:06 PM   
Big Red

There's a reason that this character doesn't work you know?
He's Marvel's second rate Batman.

I dare say Lundgren's movie doesn't look so bad now!

Post #: 10
RE: GOOD REVIEW - 2/2/2009 5:30:02 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halo14

Listen up couch critics. Stop your moaning!!! I would understand your complaints if this were a review of a movie like LOTR, or Terminator Salvation. BUT, it's a review of a very crap movie indeed. ONLY WORTHY OF ONE OR TWO PARAGRAPHS. So, Empire, keep up the good work. And to the rest - SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Have a good day.

You can tell he means business by the use of capitals and the way he swears at the end. Awesome

(in reply to Halo14)
Post #: 11
Poor Review - 2/2/2009 7:11:27 PM   
evileyeperry

I agree, rubbish review. 

I wonder if this Empire magazine employee is recession proof?  It's like a Daily Star review!!

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Poor Review - 2/2/2009 8:15:07 PM   
Bishi

Just noticed i have the Dolph Lundgren version on dvd lol, might watch it for kicks and see what version is best :D

(in reply to evileyeperry)
Post #: 13
RE: Poor Review - 2/2/2009 8:35:09 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bishi

Just noticed i have the Dolph Lundgren version on dvd lol, might watch it for kicks and see what version is best :D

It has a remote controlled car in it y'know.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Bishi)
Post #: 14
RE: Poor Review - 2/2/2009 10:23:08 PM   
darth silas

Is this a sequel to the Thomas Jane movie or yet another reboot? Would be interested in checking it out if they had kept Jane on as Frank Castle.He was an awesome Punisher.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 15
RE: Poor Review - 2/2/2009 11:02:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Is this a sequel to the Thomas Jane movie or yet another reboot? Would be interested in checking it out if they had kept Jane on as Frank Castle.He was an awesome Punisher.

Totally seperate. But he guy playing him is brilliant. Was in Rome playing the badass Titus Pullo. Trust me - Stevenson is more than great for this role.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 16
RE: Poor Review - 3/2/2009 10:11:38 AM   
grucl

What's up with all the moaning about the lenght of the review?
It's a typical short review that will end up in the lower left corner of a page in the review section of the mag along with the other rubbish films of the month.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17
GOOD REVIEW - 3/2/2009 10:16:46 AM   
Djmonki

What do you expect in a review. They have admitted it is rubbish and it's the 1st Punisher film for kids - LOOK it's rated U for Universal (ha ha ha ha ha ha).

But honestly, I'm a massive DC & Marvel Comics fan and I have been to a preview screening - this film is bad. It looks like a comic, it pays like a comic but it's just plain boring.

Post #: 18
RE: Poor Review - 3/2/2009 10:26:53 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Totally seperate. But he guy playing him is brilliant. Was in Rome playing the badass Titus Pullo. Trust me - Stevenson is more than great for this role.

Jane was to much of a pretty boy this stevenson guy actually looks the part! Badass i know the film prob will be a bit crap but i know im gonna love it!!!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 19
thomas jane ahd teh most promise - 4/2/2009 5:27:37 AM   
miketang99

was a shame that second one was soooooo bad thomas jane was perfect for the role but they mad ea film out of the trailer sequenses and what wasnt in the trailer wasnt worth watching! and thats a compliment to the director! they should avoid a direct origin story for punisher and focus on him killign with angst and subtle underuse of flashbacks. shame cos some of te stories in the comics are the best noir stories around!

Post #: 20
RE: thomas jane ahd teh most promise - 5/2/2009 8:08:04 PM   
NineMoons

double p

< Message edited by NineMoons -- 5/2/2009 8:12:42 PM >

Last Ten Films I Watched:

1. A Perfect Getaway ***
2. 300 ***
3. Far from Heaven ****
4. United States of Leland ***
5. Coco Avant Chanel ***
6. Adam ****
7. Bull Durham ****
8. The Ugly Truth ****
9. Moon ****
10. The Proposal ***

(in reply to miketang99)
Post #: 21
RE: thomas jane ahd teh most promise - 5/2/2009 8:11:53 PM   
NineMoons

I enjoyed Tom Jane's Punisher even though Travolta was rubbish. Jane was muscley, angry and pretty, plus he gets to shoot bad-guys with ole leathery Roy Scheider at the start! But my favourite thing is his reason for the vengeance kick. Most guys are looking for revenge cause their wife was killed or something. His *entire extended family* from his parents to his cousins to his aunts and uncles to his kid are all wiped out in one go! Now *that* is trauma!

I'm going to see the new Punisher because I love Ray Stevenson. He was seriously hard and excellent at the violence as Titus Pullo but the man can act too. Not expecting much of the film but maybe it'll get Ray some notice.

Last Ten Films I Watched:

1. A Perfect Getaway ***
2. 300 ***
3. Far from Heaven ****
4. United States of Leland ***
5. Coco Avant Chanel ***
6. Adam ****
7. Bull Durham ****
8. The Ugly Truth ****
9. Moon ****
10. The Proposal ***

(in reply to miketang99)
Post #: 22
RE: The Punisher: War Zone - 5/2/2009 8:14:40 PM   
captainrentboy

Well I actually found a cinema that's showing it (It isn't on at my local at all, c%*ts) so I'll be checking it out tomorrow night. Critics seem to be slamming this flick, yet a lot of nerdy fans on places like IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and AICN all seem to love it. From what I can gather as long as you go in expecting a stupidly violent, non-serious (almost to the extent that it's taking the piss) and badly acted (here and there) entry into the marvel film universe, you'll be ok

Post #: 23
Spot on Empire - 6/2/2009 12:13:37 PM   
otacons folly

This truly does not warrant a lenghty explination of how crap it is.The videogame had better acting for christs sake. run of the mill in the laziest sense.Deserves one more shot to make a good version of an intriguing character.

Post #: 24
RE: Spot on Empire - 6/2/2009 9:34:51 PM   
Ethanial

Saw it this afternoon, wasn't expecting anything above dumb action and good fun, that's all it was, overly violent but cartoony, silly, and lots of crazy stuff happening, I really enjoyed it, shame it's not getting much recognition.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to otacons folly)
Post #: 25
RE: Spot on Empire - 6/2/2009 11:09:59 PM   
captainrentboy

I agree. Yes it was stupid, yes there was pretty much zero plot, and yes some of the acting was pretty poor. But fook me was it an entertaining watch. I went with 3 other mates and we were continuously pissing ourselves once the overly violent action sequences kicked in, it's was absolutely everything I'd expect from a film called 'Punisher', and really shows what a drab and boring affair the Thomas Jane one was.
It's not a flick I'd recommend for art house loving, pretentious film snobs, but if you go expecting a bit of violent stupidity you'll probably love it.
Bring on more 18 rated comic book adaptations, that's what I say. It's a shame this one's done so bloody awfully as I'd have definitely watched a sequel.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 26
RE: Spot on Empire - 7/2/2009 10:03:20 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

I agree. Yes it was stupid, yes there was pretty much zero plot, and yes some of the acting was pretty poor. But fook me was it an entertaining watch. I went with 3 other mates and we were continuously pissing ourselves once the overly violent action sequences kicked in, it's was absolutely everything I'd expect from a film called 'Punisher', and really shows what a drab and boring affair the Thomas Jane one was.
It's not a flick I'd recommend for art house loving, pretentious film snobs, but if you go expecting a bit of violent stupidity you'll probably love it.
Bring on more 18 rated comic book adaptations, that's what I say. It's a shame this one's done so bloody awfully as I'd have definitely watched a sequel.

Pretty much summed it up.

Superb fun that looks stylish with some imaginative action carnage.

****/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 27
RE: The Punisher: War Zone - 10/2/2009 10:37:01 AM   
m539642

Went to see the film last night and i loved it. But i went in as a fan of the Punisher Max comics so i knew what to expect. There was never going to be any amazing plot or dialoge, just over the top violence. This film was blattently made for the fans of that series, some of the scenes where ripped straight from the comics. I thought it was impressive that they took the alot of the characters from the series (mainly the eailer ones) and fit them all into the film in some way, with the obvious lack of Barracuda (sequal?). I thought the comics built up the characters alot better so i went in to the film knowing about them already, so probably somebody who hadnt read the comics wouldnt care as much about them. This is my first post, just felt this film dosnt deserve the slateing its getting. So to sum it up bad acting, not a great plot, but lots of fun and very true to the Punisher Max comics.

Post #: 28
WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? - 10/2/2009 10:38:13 AM   
ROTGUT

Punisher Warzone is entertaining trash - nothing more, nothing less -efficently directed and put together by Lexi Alexander. Easily the best of the three versions so far, Ray Stevenson steps straight out of the comic book and gives us a brooding, hulking portrayal of a man with serious relationship problems. The acting in this film was hammy and over the top - but perfectly in keeping with the mood and spirit of the piece. This is solid three star entertainment, only marred by the fact that because of the lousy American box office we probably won't see another Frank Castle epic anytime soon.

Post #: 29
RE: WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? - 10/2/2009 11:07:23 AM   
ElSloano64

Rotdog summed up Punisher War Zone perfectly; it does what it says on the tin: people get Punished - terminally. The best and most faithful comic book movie of 2008. Ray Stevenson was excellent and the casual violence elevated the movie to the upper echelons of Good Super Hero Movie. I`ll be buying it on DVD when it comes and lastly, I WANT MORE LEXI ALEXANDER PUNISHER FLICKS.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Punisher: War Zone Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI