Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BANDS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Poster Mash-Ups >> RE: BANDS Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BANDS - 7/2/2009 6:41:04 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

I was gonna ignore these last few posts and put it down to sour grapes, but that was before I looked at the Chosen 37 (how about they pick a FIXED number of posters each time - like a Top 40... is that so hard?) and saw that NONE of mine made the grade... now I know a couple of them were dubious, but NONE of them?
I got pissed off after the 'Sweets' debacle, and kinda sat out the Sea Creatures and Sports mash-ups. I decided to get involved again cos I'm a music fan and thought I could contribute... how wrong I was!
I've been mashing up posters for family and friends birthdays etc, for years (dating back to about 2001 I think) so have a good feel for what can work and what can't.... no offence to some people on here, but a lot dont work!
And I do believe the criteria for judging these posters was originally stated to be on punnage AND digital skills (I wont use 'photoshop skills', not everyone uses it) but some efforts severely lack the latter... some the former too, but I look for artistic merit over the actual wordplay! Thats just me!
I'm not gonna say any one particular poster should win over another, thats for the judges, but I do wish said judges were more consistent.

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008

(in reply to IrishC)
Post #: 421
RE: BANDS - 7/2/2009 9:11:39 PM   
tommypocket

I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling a little peeved at the chosen final 37 (!) for this round... my guess is the student placement kid compiled them.

I'm obviously aware that this is all just harmless fun and seems pointless getting in a tizz over but really, the last round was a joke from the start; when the winner (and best gag) didn't even comply with the topic I think it's time for Empire to take this a little more seriously considering the effort being put in by some of us. I thought they'd struggle to compile 20, let alone 37 considering nearly all the entries relied upon replacing a word from a film with the EXACT SAME WORD from a band, which is neither funny nor clever (hence why Rihanna-mator was the only conceivable winner in my eyes - a good old-fashioned smart pun).

I'd like to think my efforts have been above average in quality considering I am both a designer AND a writer - and as pleased as I was that Kraftwerk Orange made it, I was amazed to skip through the next 20 in the final gallery only to find that was the only one... I don't want to name and shame but some of the posters that made it were shocking in both intent and execution. I'm sitting out this next round because of this (but mainly because i know jack shit about Star Trek).

I concur that Empire need to have a fixed number each week (20's good) and start being a bit more strict with their selection process - these aren't going up on your mum's fridge, Empire - you're showing the world what clever readers you supposedly have...

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 422
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Poster Mash-Ups >> RE: BANDS Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI