Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 23/7/2012 11:50:07 AM   
Harley Quinn

They are great, I'm ignoring the fact you're not a fan of Mr Dresden I'm reading Hammered at the moment. They do actually make me laugh out loud in parts. I don't have a Kindle at the moment. I think Santa may be bringing me one.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 181
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 23/7/2012 2:07:00 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

They are great, I'm ignoring the fact you're not a fan of Mr Dresden I'm reading Hammered at the moment. They do actually make me laugh out loud in parts. I don't have a Kindle at the moment. I think Santa may be bringing me one.

Well, if Santa delivers, gimme a shout

It's not that I'm not a fan of Dresden - I love the concept and thought the short-lived TV show was really enjoyable - but I just couldn't get past the first book which I found to be very poorly written.  Someday I'll give them another shot, but they're not exactly high in my to-read list.

I've been checking out a lot of urban fantasy titles recently, which explains how I came across the Iron Druid series, and its been a bit of a mixed bag so far.  Some have been really excellent, others not so much.  My favourite so far by a long stretch has to be Mike Carey's Felix Castor series.  I've enjoyed Carey's writing for DC/Vertigo comics, so I knew I was in good hands and he delivered the goods.  Others I've enjoyed (in case you're tired of waiting for the next Jim Butcher!):

Mike Shevdon - Courts of the Feyre series (Sisty-one Nails, The Road to Bedlam and Strangeness & Charm): If you enjoyed Gaiman's Neverwhere, you'll love this - London's underground supernatural community is revealled to a man on the tube who becomes embroiled in the politics of the Feyre.

Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series (Rivers of London, Moon Over Soho, Whispers Underground): The Bill meets Harry Potter, as a cop with a sensitivity to the supernatural finds himself transferred to the Met's Wizardry & Magic Division.

Mark Hodder - The Burton & Swinburne series (The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack, The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man, Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon): Steampunk meets magic with this alternative history tale from 19th Century London (London again - doesn't anything happen anywhere else? ) featuring the aforenamed adventurers.

Jonathan L Howard - Johannes Cabal series (The Necromancer, The Detective, The Fear Institute): Howard has created a great anti-hero in Cabal, a thoroughly detestable human being who sees other people as a means to an end, yet who you still cheer on.  Here he deals with a Satanic pact (1st book), an Eastern European revolution (2nd book) and Lovecraftian horrors (3rd book).

Brian Ruckley - The Edinburgh Dead: the inhabitants of 1820's Edinburgh (yay! not London!) start to experience reanimated corpses and grisly murders.  Cue Adam Quire of the Edinburgh Constabulary, whose investigation of the crime starts to uncover some horrific practices.  Genuinely creepy and highly recommended.

Jesse Bullington - The Sad Tale Of The Brothers Grossbart & The Enterprise of Death: Most UF seems to be either Victorian steampunk or present day.  These books are a welcome change, being set as they are in medieval/renaissance Europe.  Darkly humourous, satirical and laced with the gothic, these are a couple of gruesome and enjoyable reads.

China Mieville - The New Crobuzon series (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, The Iron Council), The Kraken, King Rat, Un Lun Dun: Easily one of the best authors in the field as far as I'm concerned, Mieville writes with an eloquence that is practically unmatched in urban fantasy - we're talking Gaiman/Barker levels of inventiveness here!  The New Crobuzon books are part sci-fi, part steampunk, part fantasy, but all essential.  The others are the more routine UF approach, examining the fantastic just under the city's skin (the city being, of course, London!).  I've yet to be disappointed by Mieville, and having just started the latest (Railsea), I doubt I will.

If anyone wants to make any more recommendations in this genre, I'd be glad to have them

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 182
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 23/7/2012 3:23:47 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Well, if Santa delivers, gimme a shout

It's not that I'm not a fan of Dresden - I love the concept and thought the short-lived TV show was really enjoyable - but I just couldn't get past the first book which I found to be very poorly written.  Someday I'll give them another shot, but they're not exactly high in my to-read list.

I've been checking out a lot of urban fantasy titles recently, which explains how I came across the Iron Druid series, and its been a bit of a mixed bag so far.  Some have been really excellent, others not so much.  My favourite so far by a long stretch has to be Mike Carey's Felix Castor series.  I've enjoyed Carey's writing for DC/Vertigo comics, so I knew I was in good hands and he delivered the goods.  Others I've enjoyed (in case you're tired of waiting for the next Jim Butcher!):

Mike Shevdon - Courts of the Feyre series (Sisty-one Nails, The Road to Bedlam and Strangeness & Charm): If you enjoyed Gaiman's Neverwhere, you'll love this - London's underground supernatural community is revealled to a man on the tube who becomes embroiled in the politics of the Feyre.

Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series (Rivers of London, Moon Over Soho, Whispers Underground): The Bill meets Harry Potter, as a cop with a sensitivity to the supernatural finds himself transferred to the Met's Wizardry & Magic Division.

Mark Hodder - The Burton & Swinburne series (The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack, The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man, Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon): Steampunk meets magic with this alternative history tale from 19th Century London (London again - doesn't anything happen anywhere else? ) featuring the aforenamed adventurers.

Jonathan L Howard - Johannes Cabal series (The Necromancer, The Detective, The Fear Institute): Howard has created a great anti-hero in Cabal, a thoroughly detestable human being who sees other people as a means to an end, yet who you still cheer on.  Here he deals with a Satanic pact (1st book), an Eastern European revolution (2nd book) and Lovecraftian horrors (3rd book).

Brian Ruckley - The Edinburgh Dead: the inhabitants of 1820's Edinburgh (yay! not London!) start to experience reanimated corpses and grisly murders.  Cue Adam Quire of the Edinburgh Constabulary, whose investigation of the crime starts to uncover some horrific practices.  Genuinely creepy and highly recommended.

Jesse Bullington - The Sad Tale Of The Brothers Grossbart & The Enterprise of Death: Most UF seems to be either Victorian steampunk or present day.  These books are a welcome change, being set as they are in medieval/renaissance Europe.  Darkly humourous, satirical and laced with the gothic, these are a couple of gruesome and enjoyable reads.

China Mieville - The New Crobuzon series (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, The Iron Council), The Kraken, King Rat, Un Lun Dun: Easily one of the best authors in the field as far as I'm concerned, Mieville writes with an eloquence that is practically unmatched in urban fantasy - we're talking Gaiman/Barker levels of inventiveness here!  The New Crobuzon books are part sci-fi, part steampunk, part fantasy, but all essential.  The others are the more routine UF approach, examining the fantastic just under the city's skin (the city being, of course, London!).  I've yet to be disappointed by Mieville, and having just started the latest (Railsea), I doubt I will.

If anyone wants to make any more recommendations in this genre, I'd be glad to have them

Storm Front isn't great I'll grant you if you can get past it and Fool Moon then the writing quality really picks up and Harry's world become's very rich and fulfilling.

I've read all of the Felix castor books and they are brilliant.

The spellcrackers.com series are very good set in modern day London.

The October Daye series about a changeling more PI with magic and the fae are very good.

The Dark London series I've only read the first one and am trying to get the 2nd one.

The parasol protectorate series is a steam-punk series which are worth a read.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 183
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 26/7/2012 7:17:34 PM   
Harley Quinn

So was reading a sample chapter of a book called Fated by Benedict Jacka and it had this line in it.

"Most mages rely on word of mouth, though younger ones use the internet. I've even heard of one guy in Chicago who advertises in the phone book under "Wizard", though that's probably an urban legend.

I sqeeed like a fangirl. So that's 3 references to Harry I know off in different forms.

Post #: 184
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 18/8/2012 2:40:51 PM   
WilliamMunny

At last, a release date!

November 27th!

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33582.0.html

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

Post #: 185
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 4/10/2012 1:12:33 PM   
Chief

I've just started these and I'm halfway through Grave Peril but I feel like I've missed something, where the fuck did Michael come from? He just sort of appeared at the start of this book like they were old buddies, no mention of him in previous books and next to no back story in this one.

I'm still enjoying them though and I'm fairly flying through them.

Post #: 186
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 8/10/2012 1:38:37 PM   
sharkboy

Any fans of urban fantasy read the Nightside books by Simon R Green?  There are a dozen in the series and I've really rattled through them so far - 10 down, 2 to go! - and found them to be great fun so far.   I've got them on the kindle, but as far as I know they sell as a series of 2-book omnibuses in the UK.  They've evolved a lot during the series and the later books are much wittier in their approach, but if you like the traditional UF staple of the battered detective going against the supernatural, you'll be in for a treat.  Especially when this particular detective has a few supernatural secrets of his own up his sleeve.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 187
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 19/10/2012 11:22:24 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I've just started these and I'm halfway through Grave Peril but I feel like I've missed something, where the fuck did Michael come from? He just sort of appeared at the start of this book like they were old buddies, no mention of him in previous books and next to no back story in this one.

I think there is a short story that explains Michael and you do get more of Michael & Charity's history as the series develops.Glad you're enjoying them.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 188
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 19/10/2012 1:09:17 PM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

I think there is a short story that explains Michael and you do get more of Michael & Charity's history as the series develops.Glad you're enjoying them.

To be honest now, I'm not so sure. I like the idea and the story but it's Dresden himself as a character I'm not too fond of. I think it's his attempts at humour, wit or snappy answers that get to me. They just aren't as funny or smart as the author thinks they are and it's putting me off.

The predictability bugs me too. I think I'm on the fifth book and it seems that in every book he gets very tired at some point and just as he's going to get some sleep something else happens. Every. Time.

Minor criticisms but I just don't think these are for me. I think I should look into something similar but better written.

Post #: 189
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 20/10/2012 10:46:46 AM   
Harley Quinn

Have never thought about the repetitiveness of them before. If you go back through the last few pages you may find recommendations. Sharky's not a fan of Harry Dresden but enjoy's the Iron Druid Chronicles which are very good and very funny.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 190
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 22/10/2012 11:30:00 AM   
Chief

Having said the above, I finished one and started the next book anyway (I've got them all on my Kindle).

I didn't want to read the whole thread incase of spoilers.

Post #: 191
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 14/11/2012 10:58:38 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

So was reading a sample chapter of a book called Fated by Benedict Jacka and it had this line in it.

"Most mages rely on word of mouth, though younger ones use the internet. I've even heard of one guy in Chicago who advertises in the phone book under "Wizard", though that's probably an urban legend.

I sqeeed like a fangirl. So that's 3 references to Harry I know off in different forms.

I couldn't help but notice that reference either Harley, had a chuckle to myself. On another note I received a review copy of Cold Days and it's a cracking read as always.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 192
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/11/2012 7:18:04 PM   
WilliamMunny

Picked up Cold Days on Monday as Waterstones once again broke the release date - finished it in one reading.

Wow. After a slight downturn in Ghost Story, the Dresden Files are back on form.

Some questions answered, a lot more asked and Dresden has certainly made an impact as the new Winter Knight

Sharky - were the Nightside books a gift from your generous aunt? I too have a very generous aunt and i'm sure she wouldn't mind trading Drop me a PM if you want to do a swap

< Message edited by WilliamMunny -- 28/11/2012 8:00:30 PM >

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 193
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/11/2012 9:08:33 AM   
Chief

Even though I claim not not enjoy them, I've just started book 10.

Post #: 194
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/11/2012 10:28:39 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Minor criticisms but I just don't think these are for me. I think I should look into something similar but better written.

I know you're sticking with the Dresden books, but if you're still in the market for a well-written alternative, look no further than Mike Carey's Felix Castor books which for my money have been the standard that the rest of the urban fantasy writers should aspire to.  If you're a comic fan, you'll hopefully already be familiar with Carey's writing (and if not check out Lucifer, his Sandman-linked series).  Well good!

WWLD?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 195
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/11/2012 12:12:11 PM   
The Hooded Man

Here's a wee review I wrote for followingthenerd.com http://www.followingthenerd.com/ftn_news/book-review-ftn-reviews-the-dresden-files-cold-days/

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 196
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/11/2012 1:55:32 PM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

I know you're sticking with the Dresden books, but if you're still in the market for a well-written alternative, look no further than Mike Carey's Felix Castor books which for my money have been the standard that the rest of the urban fantasy writers should aspire to.  If you're a comic fan, you'll hopefully already be familiar with Carey's writing (and if not check out Lucifer, his Sandman-linked series).  Well good!

Cheers Sharky. After I've finished the ones I've acquired I'm going to move onto something totally different. I feel like some zombie action.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 197
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/11/2012 3:07:51 PM   
sharkboy

Zombies, you say?  Look no further!

First in a series, this is a fast-paced, brutal depiction of a post-zombie apocalypse world

WWLD?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 198
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/11/2012 3:23:34 PM   
The Hooded Man

Moody's a fantastic writer. You can't go wrong there.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 199
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/11/2012 2:45:14 PM   
Chief

Looks like it's right up my alley, cheers Sharky. Now I'll just have to peruse that CD from my American aunt and see if it's there.

Post #: 200
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 7/12/2012 5:23:12 PM   
sanchia

I'm about halfway through so far. I am finding the glut of film references and quotes are starting to really grate on me. I don't remember there being so many in his previous books and there are just too many within this particular book. That said even though I have read all the previous books I have just realised that very little of them has actually stuck in my mind on any level and I am struggling to remember events which they are referring to.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 201
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/12/2012 2:22:01 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

I couldn't help but notice that reference either Harley, had a chuckle to myself. On another note I received a review copy of Cold Days and it's a cracking read as always.

I read it to my Mum who went "ohh it's Harry!"

@Sharky Felix Castor it fantastic. My only "problem" with them is he references a hell of a lot of places I know well in London the Tram tunnel in High Holborn being the main one and I can't walk past it in the dark now. Much to Mr HQ's amusement.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 202
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 18/12/2012 10:27:15 AM   
Chief

quote:

Zombies, you say?  Look no further!

First in a series, this is a fast-paced, brutal depiction of a post-zombie apocalypse world

I don't want to hijack this thread, but just to let you know I'm about halfway through Autumn. Not a lot happened yet to be honest but I've got a feeling it's just scene setting/tension building at the moment. I'd also recommend:

for a good zombie book.

Sorry, back to Dresden folks!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 203
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 6/1/2013 2:29:16 PM   
Harley Quinn

I really disliked the newest book it took me five days to read it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 204
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/1/2013 9:27:18 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Traitor! I cast thee out!

I loved it, far better than Ghost Story and i thought it was a genuine return to form, can't wait to see where the Winter Knight story is going to go. What did you dislike about it?

Also, JB has announced his latest series which is going to be a steampunk kind of thing apparently.

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 205
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/1/2013 11:59:32 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

quote:

Traitor! I cast thee out!

I loved it, far better than Ghost Story and i thought it was a genuine return to form, can't wait to see where the Winter Knight story is going to go. What did you dislike about it?

Also, JB has announced his latest series which is going to be a steampunk kind of thing apparently.

*Hangs head in shame*

Sorry.

It was better than Ghost Story I grant you. I don't know what I disliked... I think the whole issue with Lea never felt resolved, the issue with Molly just felt like a regurgitation of what happened with the other "lady" The Island was a fab idea but needed more information. It felt like maybe too much was happening and too many stories in one book. So nothing was made clear and not in the good "ohh JB has answered five of my questions but has given me ten more." The pop culture quotes were too many and felt like padding.

I saw that about the stream punk series. I've read a couple of good steam punk series so this intrigues me.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 31/1/2013 12:02:07 PM >

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 206
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 20/11/2013 3:03:34 PM   
WilliamMunny

Skin Game. Is. Finished! Whoop!

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,39730.0.html

Teaming up with Nicodemus to explore the underworld, my oh my Harry, just what kind of trouble have you gotten yourself into this time?

No release date as yet though, hopefully early next year!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 207
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/11/2013 4:19:47 PM   
Harley Quinn

Sqee good news. Am struggling with books to read at the moment.

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 208
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 24/6/2014 10:47:33 AM   
Harley Quinn

Munny! Where are you?

I've read Skin Game I need to discuss it stat!

Post #: 209
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 24/6/2014 5:29:21 PM   
sanchia

Is it an improvement on the last couple of books which I felt were drifting a little and seemed to have quite a bit of filler to make up for slight plot?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI