Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/7/2011 5:31:42 PM   
Harley Quinn

Hooded Man they get much better as the story progresses. I believe that Storm Front was written as a bit of a joke and Jim Butcher could only publish if he had two more books in the series. (I'm sure Munny will be along to correct me, if I'm wrong.)

The beauty of the series is that a throw away line in one book will lead to a massive plot development a few books down the line. There are characters that you've met already as secondary characters that come to mean so much more. Without giving too much away the Teen werewolves become trusted and vital allies to Harry in a few books as an example. There are twists and turns to be had. Questions about who Harry really is, Who his family is, what his willing to sacrifice. They are one of the few series of books that each one improves on the last. I don't know how much of the thread you have read but I often say that for every question Jim Butcher answers about Harry and his world he throws up 5 or 6 others. I had to read one of the books more than once to fully understand what an item actually was. Jim Butcher also does not shy away from the brutal or the tough some of the things that Harry does and goes through are rough. Harry isn't perfect and it's part of his charm. I'll admit as well that Jim Butcher is also willing to break Harry's heart and the readers. I've sobbed through chapters of the books because I'm so invested in the characters and the world they live in.

Sorry to be so vague but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 13/7/2011 8:53:45 PM >

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 151
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/7/2011 9:08:31 PM   
WilliamMunny

I'll echo what Harley has said.

Storm Front was the first book that Jim Butcher wrote as a professional author, it was written as part of a writing course he was taking at the time, and to be honest it kind of shows - JB has admitted in interviews that he wished he could have written it now after several years experience, as it's not his best work. But he did plan out the whole series.

You are just approaching the part when things start to get interesting - there are plot points in part of the book you are on that are still affecting things now, ten books later.

The books do follow a kind of formula - Dresden is a wizard and a private investigator, so it's fairly obvious that most of the books will involve some kind of investigation, and magic being used at some point.

However, JB develops a lot as a writer throughout the series, the next book (Summer Knight) is IMO when things start to really pick up.

Characters develop hugely throughout the series, and (trying to avoid spoilers here) so do the situations and bad guys that Dresden pits himself up against.

While i'll admit the books aren't for everyone - i'd advise you to stick with it for the next 2 or 3 books and see how you feel after that - though i warn you, if you make it to book 7 there is no turning back. One scene involving Dresden, a museum and some fossils will 100% guarantee that you'll have to finish the series

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 152
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/7/2011 9:33:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

I'll echo what Harley has said.

Storm Front was the first book that Jim Butcher wrote as a professional author, it was written as part of a writing course he was taking at the time, and to be honest it kind of shows - JB has admitted in interviews that he wished he could have written it now after several years experience, as it's not his best work. But he did plan out the whole series.

You are just approaching the part when things start to get interesting - there are plot points in part of the book you are on that are still affecting things now, ten books later.

The books do follow a kind of formula - Dresden is a wizard and a private investigator, so it's fairly obvious that most of the books will involve some kind of investigation, and magic being used at some point.

However, JB develops a lot as a writer throughout the series, the next book (Summer Knight) is IMO when things start to really pick up.

Characters develop hugely throughout the series, and (trying to avoid spoilers here) so do the situations and bad guys that Dresden pits himself up against.

While i'll admit the books aren't for everyone - i'd advise you to stick with it for the next 2 or 3 books and see how you feel after that - though i warn you, if you make it to book 7 there is no turning back. One scene involving Dresden, a museum and some fossils will 100% guarantee that you'll have to finish the series

I'd forgotten that the next book is Summer Knight. Yes stick with it the "Ladies" you'll meet in the next book prove vital in the series and also throw up lots of interesting questions about Harry and why he has a real life Fairy Godmother!

It's not only bad guy's who come along there are good guys and some you're not sure of still to be met.

What Munny said is right once you get to the scene at the museum you'll be hooked!

it is so hard to avoid spoilers and try and get the point across that there is so much more to come.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 13/7/2011 10:47:41 PM >

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 153
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/7/2011 10:36:26 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

What Mummy said is right once you get to the scene at the museum you'll be hooked!

Ahem.

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

Post #: 154
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/7/2011 10:48:10 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

quote:

What Mummy said is right once you get to the scene at the museum you'll be hooked!

Ahem.

Changed it sorry!

Post #: 155
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 26/7/2011 7:54:59 PM   
WilliamMunny

Ghost Story release day is here at last!

I haven't picked it up yet, need to finish the latest installment in A Song of Ice and Fire first

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 156
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 26/7/2011 9:06:39 PM   
Harley Quinn

I'm hoping it will be in the post soon, have it on pre-order!

Post #: 157
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 8/8/2011 9:17:51 PM   
WilliamMunny

Picked up Ghost Story earlier (50% off - thanks for the tip HQ). Will start reading it shortly (with a soundtrack of police sirens in the background - gotta love living in London!)

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 158
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 16/8/2011 1:47:41 PM   
Harley Quinn

Your welcome re the tip.

I hate to say this Munny but I actually hated Ghost story it took me over a week to finish it (I normally burn through a Harry book in a day or 2). I figured out who the "murder" was really early on. The only parts I enjoyed were the confirmation that a certain item is really what it had been hinted to, where Maggie is and that a character we thought had gone was still "Whispering about!".

Post #: 159
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/8/2011 10:05:58 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Your welcome re the tip.

I hate to say this Munny but I actually hated Ghost story it took me over a week to finish it (I normally burn through a Harry book in a day or 2). I figured out who the "murder" was really early on. The only parts I enjoyed were the confirmation that a certain item is really what it had been hinted to, where Maggie is and that a character we thought had gone was still "Whispering about!".

As per usual with Dresden books i showed no patience whatsoever and devoured the whole thing in one sitting.

And i didn't like it.

But then i read it again, a lot more carefully - i figured i'd missed something(s), JB had never let me down before, right?

The second reading has changed my opinion on things completely - a bunch of (as per usual with the Dresden novels) apparently minor comments suddenly clicked into place! I need to go find the quotes regarding our suspected whisperer, along with Harrys description of our favourite apprentices' soulgaze before i post my theories, but i'll be back soonish.

Give it another read HQ - i did and things suddenly make sense.

And also, its worth it alone for the "hey, arrogant ghost-bitch" scene with Morty

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 160
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/9/2011 9:43:48 PM   
Harley Quinn

Sorry Munny been a bit frantic in my real life. I will re-read Ghost Story at some point but it was my least fav book and felt like a piece of Dystopic Fiction in some places.

I know this sounds odd but is Harry Based on Bill Hicks? Was watching a show of his and he donned a hat and duster like the Harry on the covers is quite uncanny really.

Stop looking at me like that, he does.

Post #: 161
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/9/2011 10:09:16 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Sorry Munny been a bit frantic in my real life. I will re-read Ghost Story at some point but it was my least fav book and felt like a piece of Dystopic Fiction in some places.

I know this sounds odd but is Harry Based on Bill Hicks? Was watching a show of his and he donned a hat and duster like the Harry on the covers is quite uncanny really.

Stop looking at me like that, he does.

Yeah, i'd gotten some of the gist of it things will turn around honey!

Harry is based upon a combination of Sherlock Holmes and Gandalf (JBs' words in an interview), and the "Harry Dresden" name came about as a result of a jammed VCR and the discovery channel (also JBs' words), so no Bill Hicks - and for the record Harry doesn't do hats. The hats on the covers are the artists interpretation, nothing to do with the books (JB even makes fun of it in Changes - in the car getting changed for the facedown with Ortega).

I could make various puns revolving around looking at you like that but i'll spare you the juvenile innuendo. Just this once

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 162
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/9/2011 10:14:40 PM   
Harley Quinn

Thanks babes here's hoping.

I didn't know that about Harry being based on Gandalf and Sherlock makes sense though. I'm thinking of doing another re-read binge soon when I can get my concentration levels up. Which I'm struggling with at the moment

Boo no juvenile innuendo.

Post #: 163
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/9/2011 11:19:14 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Thanks babes here's hoping.

I didn't know that about Harry being based on Gandalf and Sherlock makes sense though. I'm thinking of doing another re-read binge soon when I can get my concentration levels up. Which I'm struggling with at the moment

Boo no juvenile innuendo.

I'll post up the youtube vids with Jims comments for your viewing pleasure.

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 164
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/9/2011 11:27:40 PM   
Harley Quinn

Yay thank you sugar.

Post #: 165
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 3/10/2011 9:08:28 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Yay thank you sugar.

As promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1iJJ6Yk4E&feature=related

Harry's background starts about 4 mins in to the vid - worth watching the rest of the vids in this series too, this is vid 2 of 7.

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 166
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/2/2012 9:02:20 PM   
WilliamMunny

August-ish for Winter Knight?

I'm going to go insane. Bloody hell, i have even started reading LKH

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 167
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/2/2012 9:21:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

Thought I'd bump this and just whine that I can't find a release date for the new book.

Post #: 168
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/2/2012 9:32:38 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Thought I'd bump this and just whine that I can't find a release date for the new book.

There isn't one as yet. "Fall 2012" is the closest i can get. JB started writing it at the start of jan apparently, so august would be best bet

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 169
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/2/2012 10:11:09 PM   
Harley Quinn

Fuck it, fuck it, fuck it!!! They are getting later and later in the year Easter Dammit I want them in Easter, spring time.

Post #: 170
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 14/3/2012 11:16:22 AM   
The Hooded Man

Took your advice guys and stayed with it and just finished Summer Knight. Loved it.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 171
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 19/3/2012 7:31:53 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Took your advice guys and stayed with it and just finished Summer Knight. Loved it.

Good to hear Hoody, knew you'd come around They get better too, you've got some awesome stuff yet to come!

HQ - Don't moan too much about release dates or JB will open a can of whoopass on you:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,30978.135.html

Harry Dresden - Wizard

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 172
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 21/3/2012 4:16:22 PM   
Harley Quinn

Glad to hear you loved it Hood.

Munny step away from the LKH you know it only leads to disappointment.

Post #: 173
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 21/3/2012 10:17:27 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Munny step away from the LKH you know it only leads to disappointment.

I have stepped away HQ, i reached the "critical mass of shitness" or "Micahs-african-elephant-sized-cock" as it's known in the LKHiverse

I will never stray away again JB, i promise. I just can't stand the badly written porn that is LKH

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 174
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 22/3/2012 10:21:20 PM   
Harley Quinn

Munny you just made me laugh. I wish the old LKH thread still was going the level of snark and bitterness in it was hilarious. Flange's jackonary style reading of a chapter was a highlight.

If you looking for good fantasy to read while you're waiting for more Harry give any of these a try.
The October Daye series
The Mercy Thomas series
Spellcrackers.com
The Dark London series (I've only read one in this series but it was very good.)

All four of them are worth a read and haven't yet descended into stupidity.

Post #: 175
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/3/2012 8:45:31 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Munny you just made me laugh. I wish the old LKH thread still was going the level of snark and bitterness in it was hilarious. Flange's jackonary style reading of a chapter was a highlight.

If you looking for good fantasy to read while you're waiting for more Harry give any of these a try.
The October Daye series
The Mercy Thomas series
Spellcrackers.com
The Dark London series (I've only read one in this series but it was very good.)

All four of them are worth a read and haven't yet descended into stupidity.

Can't find the thread, but i can only imagine the scorn that should rightly be poured on these abominations.

I had actually (semi) enjoyed the earlier books, then i got up to "Micah". I read about 50% of "Incubus Dreams" and realised that what i was reading wasn't fantasy horror but badly written (and i do mean badly written) porn. What a heaping pile of crap

Anywho, i am working my way through Pratchetts' stuff at the moment to kill time before Winter Knight. It's kind of doing the job but i have so many questions that need answering. DAMN YOU JIM BUTCHER!!!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 176
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 1/5/2012 9:50:48 PM   
WilliamMunny

Hey chick! (and possibly some other slightly less obsessed dresden fans)

The manuscript for the next book is due to be handed over to the publishers on the 1st July, so definitely an Autumn release.......

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 177
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/5/2012 5:31:27 PM   
Harley Quinn

Whooo hooo! That has cheered my up a little after a truly obnoxious week.

Post #: 178
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 22/7/2012 11:00:15 PM   
Harley Quinn

Have just discovered a new series that I think you like Munny called the Iron Druid Chronicles the first one is called Hexed. It involves a 2100 Druid and his adventures in Modern Day Arizona. They are very very good and hilarious in parts. He has a dog called Oberon that he can communicate with who majors in snark and obsessing over sausages.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 22/7/2012 11:01:18 PM >

Post #: 179
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 23/7/2012 10:41:26 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Have just discovered a new series that I think you like Munny called the Iron Druid Chronicles the first one is called Hexed. It involves a 2100 Druid and his adventures in Modern Day Arizona. They are very very good and hilarious in parts. He has a dog called Oberon that he can communicate with who majors in snark and obsessing over sausages.

What a coincidence - I just popped into this thread to see if anyone had read them!  I went through the first two in no time at all and I'm well into book 3 (Hammered) now.  I was never really a fan of the Dresden books but these are excellent.  Just the right mixture of humour and drama.  HQ - have you a Kindle?  If so, I've a very generous American aunt

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI