Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 1/1/2010 8:40:02 PM   
WilliamMunny

Bought 3 copies of Storm Front as Christmas presents - already had 2 appreciative texts back and my sister hasn't started reading her copy yet but i'm sure she'll like it - so 2 more added to the Dresden fan club and probably one more to come

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 61
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 1/1/2010 8:51:21 PM   
Harley Quinn

That's so cool Munny. I was debating buying Storm Front for new boyf. Think I might now!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 62
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 13/1/2010 3:44:40 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

That's so cool Munny. I was debating buying Storm Front for new boyf. Think I might now!

Definitely. If he doesn't appreciate them then dump him!

Only 3 months till Changes (and this time i will show some kind of restraint and not read the whole thing in one sitting)

I've been sating my Dresden File cravings with Jim Butchers other series - The Codex Alera. On the second one at the moment, and to be honest they aren't a patch on the Dresden Files.

They are ok but nothing special really, have any of the other Dresdenites given them a go?

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 63
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 20/1/2010 6:18:02 PM   
Harley Quinn

*Runs into thread breathless*

Munny, Munny. have you seen wiki and the plot synopis for Changes.? OHMYGOD! OHMYGOD!

Is that true? How can it have happened? What will it mean for Harry?*

Being nicely vauge so as not to spoil things for people who don't want to know or haven't read that far into the series yet!

*Jumps up and down*

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Post #: 64
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 21/1/2010 9:56:14 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

*Runs into thread breathless*

Munny, Munny. have you seen wiki and the plot synopis for Changes.? OHMYGOD! OHMYGOD!

Is that true? How can it have happened? What will it mean for Harry?*

Being nicely vauge so as not to spoil things for people who don't want to know or haven't read that far into the series yet!

*Jumps up and down*

*calms down a clearly overexcited Harley*

Yep! I have seen the plot synopsis and the opening line of the book!

Now, as for the is it true and how can it have happened:

HUGE COLOSSAL MAHOOSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR MOST OF THE SERIES ALONG WITH (PROBABLY COMPLETELY WRONG) SPECULATION FOR CHANGES - HIGHLIGHT TO READ

Is it true? Yep, i think so. And as for the how it happened: pure speculation here but i am guessing Susan got pregnant in Death Masks when she comes back to Chicago to kill Ortega. Death Masks has the only sex scene in the books which Jim Butcher has actually really devoted some narrative to - usually he just implies it and JB has gone on record saying that he doesn't really like writing those kind of scenes (he's not LKH) so the fact that he actually devoted a page or two to it means that it must be important.

EVEN MORE SPECULATION, WITH SPOILERS FOR CHANGES AHEAD!

Now, as for the what it means for Harry. We already know that he has a highly developed protective instinct regarding women generally, which goes doubly for Susan - hell, he started a war with the vampire courts because they hurt her, so if his daughter has been taken by the red court then i think Harry would cheerfully throw all the laws of magic out the window in order to get her back.

It really comes down to how he's going to do it. Will he take up Mabs offer and take the mantle of the winter knight? Will he take back Lasciels coin (i'm not convinced Lasciels shadow is gone btw, but that's a whole different conversation)and go all denarian on the red courts collective arses (if the red court do indeed actually have arses. If not then i'm sure Harry'll find something else to kick)?, will he take up one (or both) of the holy blades he is still holding onto and use them?

GAH! So many questions, and still 3 months to wait!

< Message edited by WilliamMunny -- 21/1/2010 10:07:42 AM >

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 65
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 21/1/2010 1:35:21 PM   
Harley Quinn

Sorry was a bit overexcited.

You make some good points.

Would the person we are referring to be fully human?
Would the baddies really hurt her?

I doubt he'll pick up a sword, he tried that before and it all went abit wrong.
I do think the shadow has gone for good.
He could take up the offer, that would be intresting.

Post #: 66
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 21/1/2010 2:12:01 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Sorry was a bit overexcited.

You make some good points.

Would the person we are referring to be fully human?
Would the baddies really hurt her?

I doubt he'll pick up a sword, he tried that before and it all went abit wrong.
I do think the shadow has gone for good.
He could take up the offer, that would be intresting.

S'ok! I'm excited too!

SPOILERS AHOY!

Would she be fully human? Good question. Answer: No idea. Dad is a full blown wizard, mum is a half turned red court vamp. According to Dresden, magic mostly comes from the mothers side of the family, so whether she'd be a wizard or not i am not sure. And i don't know whether the kid would have inherited the red court "infection" from Susan either. Could be a perfectly normal little girl, could be a wizard with a blood craving!

Would the baddies really hurt her? Well, its Ortega's wife who has her according to the blurb, and even though it was technically McCoy who killed Ortega in the end - the blackstaff is awesome, you've got to love a guy who will drop a satellite on the bad guys when he gets pissed off, i imagine that Ortegas wife will still hold Harry responsible as it was him that Ortega went to chicago to duel. And i don't think that a major league red court vamp will have any real problems with hurting a child, so yes i think they would.

End of spoilers!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 67
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 21/1/2010 2:16:28 PM   
Harley Quinn

Cannot bloody wait for this book now!

May pre-order it so I'm guaranteed my copy the day it's released.

Post #: 68
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 23/1/2010 10:52:41 AM   
Harley Quinn

Another bout of insomnia last night, another strange Harry Question.

How old is Harry? How can he be named after David Copperfield?

So very sleepy!!!

Post #: 69
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/1/2010 11:33:01 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Another bout of insomnia last night, another strange Harry Question.

How old is Harry? How can he be named after David Copperfield?

So very sleepy!!!

I know your pain! Insomnia is a pain in the arse!

According to the dresden forums, Harry is in his early-mid thirties, which just about fits in with the Copperfield name.

Practically a toddler in wizard lifespan terms!

2 and a bit months to go to Changes

I've also got quite into the Codex Alera - the first one is not brilliant but it gets better. Still nowhere near as good as the Dresden Files - but its meeting my Jim Butcher fix

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 70
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/1/2010 5:59:18 PM   
Harley Quinn

Thanks Munny, it's the first time the new blokey has dealt with it. I got up at 3:30 for two hours and read because I was tossing and turning so badly and disturbing him. I managed roughly 2 and half hours sleep on Friday. Was very pissed off and grumpy all day Saturday till I had wine and then Ta-Da perked right up.

I did google David Copperfield and guesstimated Harry's name and came to a similar conclusion. Why does my mind drift to Harry when I can't sleep?

I'll give the Alera ones ago. Got loads of reading to do for my course so will have to try and slot them in somewhere.

Post #: 71
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 16/2/2010 8:57:04 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

I did google David Copperfield and guesstimated Harry's name and came to a similar conclusion. Why does my mind drift to Harry when I can't sleep?

You've got great taste, that's why. Though pondering any of the questions from the books is liable to leave you awake for longer while you try and figure things out!

MAHOOSIVE SPOILER ABOUT THE SITUATION AT THE END OF SMALL FAVOUR!!!

On the Jim Butcher forums, Jim has confirmed that Nicodemus is alive and is now scared of Harry!!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 72
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 8/3/2010 9:16:39 AM   
WilliamMunny

Well, it seems as if i am talking to myself, but that's ok. Harry does that, which means its cool.

My copy of Changes has been pre-ordered, and its less than a month to go!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 73
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 8/3/2010 12:28:44 PM   
Harley Quinn

Am all excited now!

Post #: 74
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 9/3/2010 7:50:39 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Am all excited now!

You're always excited - it's part of what makes you so endearing

3 weeks to go, and then some questions will be answered.........and a bunch more will be asked

Did you know that JB is planning 20 dresden files, and then a big apocolyptic trilogy to finish the series?! Plus he has an epic fantasy series in mind. Plus any additions to the Codex Alera. The man is a writing machine!

< Message edited by WilliamMunny -- 9/3/2010 7:51:17 PM >

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 75
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 9/3/2010 8:43:45 PM   
Harley Quinn

Thanks Munny.

Only 20???? I need many many more Harry adventures than that!

Post #: 76
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 10/3/2010 10:18:12 AM   
WilliamMunny

20 dresden files, plus the additional 3 for the ending trilogy so that's 23 books, and he's doing some more short stories too - rumour has it that these will be released in a compilation which hopefully will be available in the UK.

So there is plenty more Dresden to come! And JB gets the TV rights back next year, so with any luck a decent network will make a bid and do the series justice on the small screen!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 77
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 11/3/2010 7:14:36 PM   
Harley Quinn

OK 23 books is cool.

Ohhhh a new Dresden Files done well... intresting.

Post #: 78
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/3/2010 7:46:17 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Ohhhh a new Dresden Files done well... intresting.

So much potential! And with 12 books + short stories already out, there is already enough material for 3 series of programming. A decent special effects budget and some recognisible (but not too expensive actors - i've said it before, but Seth Green as Butters would be perfect, i'd also put some grey streaks in Wesley Snipes' hair and have him as Morgan - he's skint and has trouble with the taxman so i'm sure he'd take the gig) and you'd be onto a ratings winner!

If you are interested, there are a couple of chapters from Changes up on the Dresden website now - i am studiously avoiding them as i don't have the patience to read a couple of chapters and then have to stop!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 79
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/3/2010 8:13:58 PM   
Harley Quinn

I read the first Chapter and loved it. Am looking forward to the new book even more now.

Post #: 80
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/3/2010 10:37:05 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

I read the first Chapter and loved it. Am looking forward to the new book even more now.

Is that even possible?!?

2 and a bit weeks. I may try and read the whole lot before the next one arrives!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 81
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/3/2010 9:28:15 AM   
WilliamMunny

One week to go!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 82
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/3/2010 1:36:18 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

One week to go!

Scrap that! Waterstones have broken the release date - i have my grubby hands on a copy of Changes!

6 chapters in and it is already kicking arse - the Merlin is tooled up and looking like he is going to adjust somebodys ears to arse ratio

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 83
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/3/2010 1:50:40 PM   
Harley Quinn

Fuck really??

I want to go and get it now, but know I'll have no time to read it between now and Monday!

Tempting very tempting!

Post #: 84
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/3/2010 2:00:06 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Fuck really??

I want to go and get it now, but know I'll have no time to read it between now and Monday!

Tempting very tempting!

Yep! Not sure if any other stores other than Waterstones have broken the release date, but i've just spent most of my lunch hour reading Not going to spoil anything for you, but its kicking off big-style already!

I am not sure which bit of London you are in, but Waterstones on London Wall, just down from Liverpool Street station had half a dozen copies on the shelves.

I'm sure i read somewhere that fighting temptation is bad for you - and its a 4 day weekend!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 85
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/3/2010 2:03:01 PM   
Harley Quinn

Ohhh man oh man oh man!

I can get to that Waterstones in about 20 minutes.  So tempted.

Didn't realise you were London based Munny!

Post #: 86
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/3/2010 2:07:49 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Ohhh man oh man oh man!

I can get to that Waterstones in about 20 minutes.  So tempted.

Didn't realise you were London based Munny!

I am indeed a Londoner. A sauf-east Londoner to be more specific! And my office is just up from Moorgate tube station, so that Waterstones is nice and convenient for release day (or in this case, before release day) purchases!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 87
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 31/3/2010 2:18:45 PM   
Harley Quinn

Ohhh very nice! That is a good little bookshop that one.

I'm a Norf Londoner

Post #: 88
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 1/4/2010 9:26:26 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Ohhh very nice! That is a good little bookshop that one.

I'm a Norf Londoner

Across the river? Ick

I am now halfway through (would probably have finished it last night, but Arsenal were on). All i have to say is - Harry, what have you done!?!?!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 89
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 5/4/2010 7:57:21 PM   
Harley Quinn

If I ever need prof my boyfriend is a keeper he bought me Changes for Easter and kept laughing at me going ohmygod, ohmygod!

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI