Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Dresden Files Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Dresden Files Fan Club - 28/1/2009 9:08:15 PM   
WilliamMunny

Harry Dresden - Wizard
                    Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates.                                                                                                         No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

The everday world is not as "everyday" as it seems, its actually full of strange and supernatural things - and most of them don't play well with humans.....

After wandering through the forum, the name Harry Dresden seems to have cropped up quite a lot recently and i was surprised to find that there wasn't a thread devoted to this great series of books!

For the uninitiated
The Dresden Files is a world in which magic exists...............as do faeries, vampires, fallen angels, trolls, gruffs, ghosts, ghouls and all manner of nasties. Set in modern day Chicago, the books follow the adventures of one Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, who is Chicagos only practicing wizard (he advertises in the phone book under "wizards"). Ably advised by his assistant Bob (a bleached human skull inhabited by an utterly amoral, sex obsessed spirit of air and knowledge with hundreds of years of magical knowhow) Harry is a detective by trade. When something goes bump in the night or Chicago PD run into something that defies conventional logic, then its down to Harry to unravel the goings on, though naturally things rarely run smoothly

I don't want to go into too much detail for fear of spoilers, but if you like fantasy writing with blood, guts, sex, murder, mystery and general magical mahyem told with dark humour then get yourself to your nearest bookshop and take a punt on The Dresden Files.

The author is Jim Butcher (graphic novel fans may recognise the name from some recent Batman stories), there are 10 books in the series so far, with another due out in April. The first of the series is called Storm Front and involves 2 people found dead in a hotel room........who have had their hearts ripped out through their chests by person(s) unknown.....i'm not going to tell you what happens so you'll have to go buy / borrow / steal the book to find out

For those of you who are already fans, then pull up a stool (taking care not to bash into the 13 pillars), help yourself to a bottle of Macs best dark ale (served at room temp naturally) and feel free to share your thoughts on all things Dresden!

< Message edited by WilliamMunny -- 28/1/2009 9:12:35 PM >

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.
Post #: 1
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/1/2009 9:26:28 AM   
Harley Quinn

How I love Harry.

I can't wait for the new book to come out. Harry and Morgan on the same team should make for an intresting read.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 2
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/1/2009 11:13:33 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

I can't wait for the new book to come out. Harry and Morgan on the same team should make for an intresting read.

Oh yes!

I am currently preoccupied trying to work out:

Spoilers for Small Favor ahead - highlight to read
who Harry is going to give the swords to, especially now that he has 2 of them! I was thinking that Charity may end up getting Amoracchius in kind of a role reversal with Michael stuck at home and Charity fighting the good fight, though i am probably wayyyyy off

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 3
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/1/2009 11:21:15 AM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

So far I've read Storm Front, Fool Moon and Grave Peril. And maaaaaaan, do I want to know what happens next with Susan!!

...But general poverty means I can't just buy the entire series in one go, so I'm having to ration myself.

I love Harry and the books so far - very, very funny and managing to keep pathos despite all the blood guts and fantasy-horror.

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

Post #: 4
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 29/1/2009 1:36:26 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

So far I've read Storm Front, Fool Moon and Grave Peril. And maaaaaaan, do I want to know what happens next with Susan!!

...But general poverty means I can't just buy the entire series in one go, so I'm having to ration myself.

I love Harry and the books so far - very, very funny and managing to keep pathos despite all the blood guts and fantasy-horror.

You have got so much good stuff to come that i'm almost jealous!

I think the books actually get better as the series progresses, the characters start to fill out more and without wanting to spoil  it for you, there are some very cool, and very badass bad guys still to come!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 5
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/1/2009 10:05:17 AM   
Harley Quinn

I love that Jim Butcher actually has a bit of respect for both Harry and the Reader what limited love scenes there are in the books are brief and left up to the imagination of the reader I'm thinking of one in a later book.   I'm trying to be vague so I don't ruin it for anyone. 

Turn coat is out in April.

The Warden Morgan has been accused of treason against the Wizards of the White Council--and there's only one, final punishment for that crime. He's on the run, wants his name cleared, and needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog. Someone like Harry Dresden.

Now, Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep a less-than-agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head--someone like Harry.

I'm really excited about this book as things that have been hinted at through the last couple of books may finally be coming to a head.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Post #: 6
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/1/2009 4:29:38 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I love the Dresden Files, I love Harry and Susan and Michael so much. I've only read the first 8 though, can't afford the others right now. I love the humour Harry has, he's a fantastic character. I can't stand Murphy though, she just makes me want to slap her silly.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 7
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/1/2009 4:52:56 PM   
Harley Quinn

See I like Murphy. I'm not keen on Charity though.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 8
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 6/4/2009 12:20:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

Well Harry Fans the new book is out tomorrow and I've ordered it online.

Very excited. 

Post #: 9
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 6/4/2009 1:28:41 PM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Well Harry Fans the new book is out tomorrow and I've ordered it online.

Very excited. 

Yep, yep, yep!

I am making a major detour on the trip back from work to pick up my copy. Can't wait!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 10
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 6/4/2009 2:57:22 PM   
Harley Quinn

It turns out Waterstones are out of stock and they will ship it to me as soon as.

I am so annoyed I need to read Harry's latest adventure.

Post #: 11
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 7/4/2009 8:50:48 PM   
JV

I have read them all, except for Small Favour, which is currently sitting next to my bed. I started reading it but couldn't get into it so have moved onto a Cormac McCarthy novel instead. I will read Small Favour next though, defo, but it just wasn't what I wanted to read right now.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

Post #: 12
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/4/2009 9:56:26 AM   
Harley Quinn

I 'm about 10 chapters into Harry's latest adventure and it's great. 

There has been no mention of Bob the skull yet though. I'm a bit worried.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 13
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 15/4/2009 11:19:36 PM   
The Hooded Man

Only read the first one but looking forward to Full Moon, it's on the shelf in the spare room.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 14
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 16/4/2009 10:09:12 AM   
Harley Quinn

Read them hooded man they do actually get better and better as the books progress. 

I finished Harry's latest adventure last night and things that he mentions briefly in the first book tie in nicely with this one.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 15
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 9:49:17 AM   
WilliamMunny

I had to delay my purchase for a couple of days as Foyles didn't have any in stock, but i picked a copy up last night, went home, plonked myself in my comfy chair and read the whole damn thing in one sitting

Spoilers ahead - highlight to read
Morgan dead! Must say that came as a real shock. I was half expecting him to turn out to be part of the Black Council, but nope.

As usual Jim Butcher has answered some questions, but asked even more. Now when's the next one out?

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 16
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 10:08:56 AM   
Harley Quinn

I know the end of the book my whole heart broke for Harry. So many questions answered so many more asked. 

I don't know when the new book is out, next year I guess.

Is it wrong to be a little bit in love with Harry?

My only complaint about the newest book and it is a tiny thing, was that there was not enough Bob but I trust Jim Butcher to know that he know's what his doing with his character's and that there's a reason why.   I think each book improves on the last one. 

Post #: 17
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 10:45:29 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

My only complaint about the newest book and it is a tiny thing, was that there was not enough Bob but I trust Jim Butcher to know that he know's what his doing with his character's and that there's a reason why.   I think each book improves on the last one. 

I think you could probably be forgiven for falling for him, but:

Spoilers for Dead Beat - highlight to read
After he took that death curse from the former denarion in Dead Beat i think Harry's love life is doomed to failure!

As for Bob, Harry kept Bob hidden from Molly Carpenter even after she became his apprentice at first, and as Bob was supposed to have been destroyed by the Wardens when they took down Kemmler and with Morgan actually in Harry's apartment, Harry wouldn't have wanted to risk Morgan finding out about him!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 18
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 10:51:06 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

quote:

I think you could probably be forgiven for falling for him, but:

Spoilers for Dead Beat - highlight to read
After he took that death curse from the former denarion in Dead Beat i think Harry's love life is doomed to failure!

As for Bob, Harry kept Bob hidden from Molly Carpenter even after she became his apprentice at first, and as Bob was supposed to have been destroyed by the Wardens when they took down Kemmler and with Morgan actually in Harry's apartment, Harry wouldn't have wanted to risk Morgan finding out about him!

I forgot about that! I know what your saying but it was shame not to have seen more of him. 

Post #: 19
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 11:05:11 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

I forgot about that! I know what your saying but it was shame not to have seen more of him. 

One of the things i love about the series is how interlinked all of the plots are, even when its not immediately apparent!

Bob is one of my favourite characters and even though he didn't feature much in Turn Coat, one brief exchange with Harry did have me in stitches:

"plus they have boobs Harry!"

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 20
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 11:13:39 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

One of the things i love about the series is how interlinked all of the plots are, even when its not immediately apparent!

Bob is one of my favourite characters and even though he didn't feature much in Turn Coat, one brief exchange with Harry did have me in stitches:

"plus they have boobs Harry!"

I agree with that.  So many things that seem like throw away plot points become, these huge moments where you go well I didn't see that coming.

I loved that exchange.

I also loved when Molly is preparing to use her womanly wiles on the man and Morgan leer's at her.  I thought that was done well.

Post #: 21
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 11:20:20 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

I also loved when Molly is preparing to use her womanly wiles on the man and Morgan leer's at her.  I thought that was done well.

Dirty old git, he's at least 2 centuries older than she is

While we're on the subject, I think that Molly is on a slippery slope - it wouldn't surprise me if she went over to the dark side so to speak.

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 22
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 11:28:58 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

quote:

Dirty old git, he's at least 2 centuries older than she is

While we're on the subject, I think that Molly is on a slippery slope - it wouldn't surprise me if she went over to the dark side so to speak.

I know but Morgan said a man can look at a beautiful woman.

I disagree I don't think Harry will let her neither will her parent's. Frankly with a mother like Charity I'd be too scared to put a foot out of line.

What she did in this book was wrong but done for the right reason's.  She's learning and she does love Harry (in a platonic way).  I think Harry will intorduce her to Bob and Bob will help her, when his finished leetching.

Post #: 23
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 11:44:38 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

I disagree I don't think Harry will let her neither will her parent's. Frankly with a mother like Charity I'd be too scared to put a foot out of line.

What she did in this book was wrong but done for the right reason's.  She's learning and she does love Harry (in a platonic way).  I think Harry will intorduce her to Bob and Bob will help her, when his finished leetching.

Spoilers for Proven Guilty
When Harry talks about warlocks and psychic damage, he says that in forcing your way into someone's mind it also changes the mind of the warlock, making them more inclined to do the same again. Molly has invaded the minds of 2 of her friends (to get them off their drug dependencies), she also went into harry's mind to check for any damage in Small Favour (and found what Mab had done) and now she has tried to do the same to Luccio. That's several times she has done this even though she knows she'll get her (and harry's) head chopped off if she is caught! It only took a few snidy comments from Morgan to have her ready to kill him - there is a lot of unresolved anger there! Even though she was doing it for the right reasons, its a slippery slope

Plus, most of Charity's attention will be on Michael now, and Michael being crippled while helping Harry was only briefly mentioned in Turn Coat but i thought there was a bit of tension there. I don't think it will take much of a push to get her to do something stupid!

Though this is all theory. And i'm probably wrong, but its fun to guess anyway

And Bob will never finish letching - its one of the things that makes him so endearing

< Message edited by WilliamMunny -- 17/4/2009 11:47:31 AM >

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 24
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 17/4/2009 11:55:37 AM   
Harley Quinn

Is the issue with Michael permanant?

I forgot that she had crossed the line with Harry. I hope she doesn't "turn to the darkside" because unless Harry can do some fancy footwork his dead too.

Bob is the best.

Post #: 25
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/4/2009 9:49:08 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

Is the issue with Michael permanant?

Not entirely sure - from memory he was fairly badly hurt, but he was only briefly mentioned by Harry in Turncoat - Harry said that he was spoiler crippled, so i'd guess the injuries are pretty permanent end spoiler.

And yes, Bob is indeed the best

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 26
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/4/2009 9:52:50 AM   
Harley Quinn

I think Harry is going to get some help from a heavenly source at some point it, I don't know if it will be to help Micahel, the issues with the two items in his possesion or for somthing else yet.

I could be wrong though.

Post #: 27
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/4/2009 9:58:15 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

I think Harry is going to get some help from a heavenly source at some point it, I don't know if it will be to help Micahel, the issues with the two items in his possesion or for somthing else yet.

I could be wrong though.

That's an interesting idea spoilers and Harry has already been given a helping hand by Uriel who gave him the power to use soulfire when Lasciel "died" and he lost Hellfire. So the powers that be have definitely got an eye on him already! end spoilers

Harry really does need to get a move on with the 2 items in question. I feel sorry for Sanya - the poor bloke must be knackered having to do all the work on his own!

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 28
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/4/2009 10:05:24 AM   
Harley Quinn

Bob told him that he would have to return the favor and that he was on the radar. Well he did find someone for the first item, but they refused it.  I wonder if one of Michael's children will pick up the mantel. The eldest son maybe?

The small plot points about bloodlines I think are part of a larger story.

I also having a nagging suspicion Harry's mum is still around somewhere and she might be in the shadow's somewhere.

This is really hard being vauge so as not to ruin anything for anyone else.

Post #: 29
RE: The Dresden Files Fan Club - 30/4/2009 10:17:41 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

This is really hard being vauge so as not to ruin anything for anyone else.

Yes, it really is!

I agree with you on Harry's mum spoilersi think that Mab may have her tucked away somewhere - Harry's mum had strong links with the sidhe, and Mab has a really strong interest in Harry, she might be using Harry's mum as part of a plan to force harry into accepting the mantle of the winter knight end spoilers

As for the items yet more spoilers!I think that Thomas could take Amoracchius - amoracchius is the one of the swords associated with love - michael has a big loving family, and although Thomas is a vampire, Mab has said that he is mortal enough that he could be the winter knight and Jim Butcher has really emphasised the love between Thomas and Justine so i think he could end up with it (vampire holy knight? That would kick arse). As for fidelacchius, thats the faith sword, and i have no idea who could take that one - murphy was my pick but she said no.end of spoilers.

I hope we get more of Bob in the next one, and hopefully some more of Ramirez too - i think he's quite cool

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Dresden Files Fan Club Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI