Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

William To Conquer The Big Screen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> William To Conquer The Big Screen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
William To Conquer The Big Screen - 28/1/2009 2:00:54 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
casting? - 28/1/2009 2:00:54 PM   
robrob75

How about Will Smith for Harold and Shia The Beef for William?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Neeson - 28/1/2009 2:02:05 PM   
fish that roared

The man made phantom menace watchable and was fantastic in Taken. King Harold was tall and he is old enough to play it with enough gravitas.
William on the other hand was only in his late 30's when he invaded so that could be more difficult to place, possibly Peter Sarsgard but seems like a lazy choice especially as Liam is in his 50s

Post #: 3
Bleeding Bloom - 28/1/2009 2:12:17 PM   
bartycrouch

Oh you so know that Orlando Bloom will be involved and that the film will end up with him, er, 'meeting a maiden.'

Of course, I hope not.

And I wonder if the writers will be accurate to how it actually all went down. I am of course talking about Robin Hood POT, landing at Dover and then walking along Hadrian's Wall the next day? Impressive.

Post #: 4
Billy Vs. Harry - 28/1/2009 2:18:39 PM   
BethN21286

Fassbender Vs. Bale...
...I can dream can't I?

More likely to be some heinous marriage of Bloom versus Ferrell

Post #: 5
RE: William To Conquer The Big Screen - 28/1/2009 2:35:49 PM   
lukeyboy

I'm gonna have to jump on the Bale bandwagon for this one!

Christian Bale for William
Daniel Day Lewis for Harold

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 6
Neeson? Hell yeah! - 28/1/2009 3:42:49 PM   
Marwood

Harold would fit him like a glove, if age is an issue then maybe Christian Bale playing him throughout the period this is going to cover.
For William, why not an actual French actor to play him? Sounds like "picking the only French actor everyone knows" but how about Vincent Cassell? He could certainly play up Williams villainous qualities (if he's to be shown in that light) but I'd like to see him play a rounded character as usually he's best known in English language films for playing criminals and scumbags.

Post #: 7
Harold - 28/1/2009 3:55:44 PM   
montimer

Surely this could be the ideal role to bring John Simm to the masses as King Harold.

As for William, lord only knows, but he must be in his late thirties or early fourties; Chris Ecclestone maybe? I can see him playing an absolute shitbag.

I'd also be happy to see Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson in either role.

Just for the love of god keep Ray Winstone and Clive Owen well away from it.

There is one thing that worries me about this film, the plan to start filming by the end of the year despite the lack of even a first draft of the script.

Post #: 8
- 28/1/2009 4:07:17 PM   
jamiemulls

Harold - Liam Neeson/Kevin McKidd
William - Vincent Cassell

Post #: 9
Say No to Neeson! - 28/1/2009 4:21:50 PM   
Evil_Monkey25

Am I the only one who thinks that, in recent years, you could close your eyes during a Liam Neeson film and pretend you're watching any one of them without a problem? Batman Begins, Kingdom of Heaven, even bloody Narnia. He's become a little one-dimensional, in my opinion.

This could be pretty good... or it could be King Arthur...

Post #: 10
shut it monkey boy! - 28/1/2009 7:11:30 PM   
richie fingers

neeson a fuckin legend. any film he the king. hope this a good one, troy was excellent, alexanda was shite, dont follow suit.

Post #: 11
- 28/1/2009 7:47:43 PM   
Adrian

tenner says they change it so that the americans win it.

Post #: 12
RE: - 28/1/2009 8:02:00 PM   
Sphinx

Oooh cool - 

Gary Oldman - Harold
Vincent Cassel would be a great choice for william!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 28/1/2009 8:21:19 PM   
Gabriel

An EMPIRE forum discussing casting and no-one's mentioned Jason Statham? Thank christ...

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 14
Neutral - 28/1/2009 8:42:43 PM   
nybras

Liam Neeson, Russell Crowe or Daniel Day Lewis

Post #: 15
- 28/1/2009 8:58:49 PM   
Bond

Ray Winstone for Harold & Russel Crowe for William!

Post #: 16
Time for Young British Blood - 28/1/2009 9:15:15 PM   
acertree

I'm fed up of the same names that keep getting suggested. You'd think there were only about half a dozen actors working today. YAWN

Get some new young blood involved like the Andrew Buchan, Rob Pattinson's and Sam Riley's of this world. The historical characters werent that old when the key events took place.

Post #: 17
English Pig Dogs - 28/1/2009 9:15:15 PM   
Arfpint

Oh God, time to bring out the petrol and some St George flags...it can surely only be Mel Gibson as William and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a suitably weak and evil 'Arry.

Bring on the pain!

Post #: 18
These need to be young actors - 28/1/2009 9:22:08 PM   
hollyoa

Harold was a tall good looking young guy. Rob Pattinson would fit well.

Post #: 19
- 28/1/2009 9:27:12 PM   
Rosie9amgee

Neeson is way too old! Mind, so is my fav pic for William, Ciaran Hinds. Perhaps Christopher Eccleston would do - or would his gruff northern persona better suit Harold? Remember William was a redhead - could Damien Lewis be commanding enough for the role? And Harold was a fair haired Saxon - a man's man, whom everybody admired. I'm getting images of Eomer in LotR's - Carl Urban, or even Viggo himself!?

Post #: 20
RE: - 28/1/2009 10:04:11 PM   
Pigeon Army

Nathan Fillion for Harold. Mark Strong for William.

Best. Historical Epic. Ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Rosie9amgee)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 28/1/2009 10:46:44 PM   
muchobenny

Good call! Jason Statham to play Harold AND William. Now that's a movie right there!

(in reply to Gabriel)
Post #: 22
WOW, THAT'S AN EPIC MOVIE I WANNA SEE..... - 28/1/2009 11:35:33 PM   
boredbluekoala

But can we please have it a little more neutral than ooh let's say Braveheart, I prefer Ridley Scott's approach with Kingdom of Heaven, where he depicted war as hell but had honourable men on both sides. we'll see......

Post #: 23
Some Character Actors Please! - 29/1/2009 4:14:09 AM   
Calsterman

Sam Worthington for Harold and Maybe Guy Pierce for William

Post #: 24
RE: 1066 - 29/1/2009 9:40:48 AM   
Timon

After going to the Bayeux Tapestry last April, I have to concur with Emily that there is a lot of story to tell, especially the fact that Harold and William were allies.

I have to say though, some of the above casting choices are odd - Nathan Fillion, Sam Worthington, Guy Peace? Or we THAT short on British actors?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Calsterman)
Post #: 25
RE: 1066 - 29/1/2009 11:33:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

After going to the Bayeux Tapestry last April, I have to concur with Emily that there is a lot of story to tell, especially the fact that Harold and William were allies.

I have to say though, some of the above casting choices are odd - Nathan Fillion, Sam Worthington, Guy Peace? Or we THAT short on British actors?

Haven't you heard? No casting rumour thread is complete without Nathan Fillion being dropped in there somewhere. Double points if you can drop a) Mark Strong or b) another Firefly/Serenity cast member in the mix.

Though Mark Strong would be awesome in any role here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
american accents - 29/1/2009 12:19:32 PM   
samthemanokayman

lets hope the studio or somebody else insists on tom cruise playing one of the leads and speaking in an american accent

Post #: 27
10 years ago Jason Patric - 29/1/2009 2:55:36 PM   
dandonnelly5000

I remember reading an article in total film 10 years ago that there would be a film about William the Conqueror and King Harold II exploring their friendship it was meant to star Jason Patric this was just after Jason Patric decided to be a mainstream actor again and he did sleepers and were waiting to speed Cruise control to come out after speed 2 released nothing was ever heard of about this project again and Jason Patric has barely done a mainstream movie sense but I have to say this project sounds very similar to the one that was being proposed 10 years ago

Post #: 28
RE: William To Conquer The Big Screen - 31/1/2009 8:42:34 PM   
lanceTiger

1066': Lester's Harold Conquers Rivals.   The battle hots up in the race to tell the epic tale of the great battle of Hastings, leaving several pretenders to the throne battered and bruised. With a quality script and high class retinue of cast and crew already attached, the producers of '1066' www.1066thefilmplc.com www.1066themovie.biz continue to crush the opposition. "We are the vanguard on this topic, and pride ourselves on being the ambassadors for what is arguably one of the most important conflicts in human history. We have seen a massive surge in interest in '1066' from the public and industry alike, the hits on our websites are at record levels and our myspace site www.myspace.com/haroldgodwinson is attracting hundreds of new recruits from around the world daily" says Robin Jacob Director and co writer of 1066. "They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and it is very satisfying to know that we have inspired so many people with '1066', there has been global coverage of the subject, some excellent and some very poor indeed, just PR puff pieces masquerading as news, surprisingly the worst offender was a globally respected British National newspaper renowned for its accuracy, but thatís show business!"   With the recent announcement that Felix Lester will play alongside his father Oliver star Mark Lester as Harold's son Godwin, the project has also attached Ian Whyte (alien Vs Predator) as King Hardrada and Martin Klebba diminutive star of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise as Turold man servant to William Duke of Normandy. But who else do the producers have in their sights? "That is an interesting question and one that we have tried to avoid" says Jacob " With so many powerful and charismatic roles to fill the list would be pretty extensive, there is some incredible talent out there who like to be challenged, enjoy taking risks and have a true understanding of the real purpose of filmmaking, we are working hard to penetrate the 'firewall' that surrounds them and to do so we must avoid some of the more unscrupulous PR tactics that others may employ to retain our credibility with both the talent and their agents, at the end of the day we have a powerful historically accurate script that has and will do the talking for us."   The impressive list of technical attachments includes Peter Hannon who has taken the role of 2nd Unit Cinematographer (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Gathering Storm) SFX Supervisor Ian Wingrove (Troy, AVP, Sleepy Hollow) Fight Director Anthony De Longis (Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull) and as Stunt Supervisor industry legend Rocky Taylor who's impressive CV contains amongst others 17 Bond movies, The Da Vinci Code and Titanic. What was the deciding factor that brought this talent to the project? "I guess it would have to be the epic nature of the story and the way in which we believe it should be told " Jacob continues  "These guys are some of the best in the world, they bring with them years of experience and '1066' will allow them the freedom to use all the skills at their disposal, we want '1066' to be as 'real' as possible, we will limit the use of CGI and we will employ some of the traditional methods of film making that are slowly being lost to technology, for example we plan to use 10,000 live extras for the final battle scene, a huge undertaking but the story deserves to be told with authenticity at it's heart, it is after all one of the most important and influential battles in history."    Please direct all enquiries to lance@tigerfilms.biz    

Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> William To Conquer The Big Screen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI