Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tomb Raider Reboot Is Coming

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Tomb Raider Reboot Is Coming Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tomb Raider Reboot Is Coming - 28/1/2009 8:27:57 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 28/1/2009 8:27:57 AM   
Metalion

In other words: If the title of the third follows the same pattern it should be something like Lara Croft Tomb Raider The Cradle of Life: Put your title here.

Man, imagine what that would look like if there were, like, 10 films.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Here we go again... - 28/1/2009 8:58:38 AM   
Marwood

I do think that there's a decent film in this game franchise somewhere but the previous attempts were pretty dire...not terrible but just generally rubbish. Still I think they did reasonably well box office wise so the studio obviously thinks there's still something there.
I'm not sure a total reboot of the character would be necessary, just do what the Bond franchise does every time they change the actor playing him: character essentially the same but direction different and previous incarnation's adventures are pretty much ignored.
Just telling them now to keep Paul fucking Anderson away from this or it'll be the third failure to successfully adapt the character and pretty much bury the franchise. God damn he sucks.

Post #: 3
More DFW goodness - 28/1/2009 9:05:37 AM   
inkedbeatnik

INT:An English aristocrat, Helen 'Scarlet O'Hara* sits inside a train carriage reading Infinite Jest. Beautiful mind style little comments below the margin swirl around her head, while the music from Requiem for a dream plays in the background.

O'Hara is searching for the missing Aztec footnote famed to contain the real answer to the meaning of life.

Mickey Rourke ** storms in.

O'hara: Who are you?
Rourke holds up a badge: I'm the Grammar police
O'Hara: I have committed no crime***
Rourke: I'm citing you for a Foster Wallace violation.
O'Hara: You won't stop me
Rourke: I may be a broken piece of meat but I'll try.

Helen O'Hara stands up, her coat falling to the floor, and revealing the requisite hotpants, ridiculously type top combination preferred by grammatical archeologists. From her holsters she withdraws to spinning ** s and throws them at Grammar policeman Rourke. they embed in his chest but he simply laughs the bleeding man-boobs off.

Rourke: You're all out of punctuation.
O'Hara: You naughty naughty boy (suggestive wink)

O'Hara throws Infinite Jest ar Rourke. It lands at his feet

Rourke: You throw like a girl

The book explodes, a hidden footnote clusterbomb inside the pages. Millions of *s shower Rourke.

Rourke: ARRRGGGGHH

O'Hara sweeps her head back in slow motion. Cue Nickelback

*Name change followed a lengthy dispute with Eidos
**So hot right now
*** for no reason

This is neither funny nor clever, but I'm at work and painfully bored

Post #: 4
- 28/1/2009 9:23:10 AM   
stripey_camel

I read somewhere recently that Megan Fox was in talks for the role of Lara. I've got a feeling if she did don the hotpants and guns combo that guys would come flocking to the cinema and leave behind a nice line of drool!

Post #: 5
- 28/1/2009 9:24:59 AM   
Old_Pyrate

The franchise has a strong central character and as we know from (some of) the Indiana Jones films, relic hunting has good story potential.

However, in order to work, you have to have a writer who wants to deliver a decent script rather than just get paid and a director who wants to return to the good old days of adventure films when they actually did the stunts, rather than using CGI to create the danger (e.g. the thoroughly unconvincing train crash in Wanted).

Post #: 6
Don't Know What To Say About This. - 28/1/2009 9:35:28 AM   
joanna likes films

Was I the only one who really enjoyed the first two Lara Croft movies? Yes, more or less the reasons were the love intrests (Craig in the first and Butler in the second) but it was good enough entertment for a few hours and had a gripping storyline. Now they want to reboot this all over again. I don't know what to say about this, I'm a fan of the movies and the games but why are they bothering when they know it's going to fail everytime they make a videogame to a movie? Many have been good to me and some were disappointing but I'm not rooting for this.

Post #: 7
WTF!!! - 28/1/2009 11:30:54 AM   
Noelg25

Leave them alone!! The first two were fine...Angelina Jolie IS Lara Croft!! LEAVE IT!!!

Post #: 8
RE: WTF!!! - 28/1/2009 11:41:32 AM   
Histeria

Flawed as the TR films were (especially the second), they were pretty damn enjoyable. And very importantly, Jolie absolutley nailed the part of Lara - getting the look,  moves, attitude and (thankfully) the accent spot on.

If the rumours of Megan Fox prove true, I suspect this will be a mess of Elektra proportions.

Shame Ms Jolie is too expensive and too 'serious' an actress for this these days.

I'm sure there is an actress who could play it as well, but off the top of my head, I can't think of one.

< Message edited by Histeria -- 28/1/2009 11:43:20 AM >

(in reply to Noelg25)
Post #: 9
The original is still the best - 28/1/2009 12:38:43 PM   
Dr Science

Rhona Mitra is Lara Croft - she got her big break being Lara Croft for the game launch - google it if you don't believe me. As an actress she's average at best, but as Lara Croft she is perfect. The only creative talent that could do this justice is Joss Whedon - writer/producer/director/whatever - he has to be involved.

Post #: 10
RE: Tomb Raider Reboot Is Coming - 28/1/2009 1:05:09 PM   
LBBT

I really loved Angelina, I can't think of anybody else as Lara Croft.
Because everybody who is gonna play Lara Croft will be judged on Angelina's work before them*.
So no one will do good or Angelina has done something wrong. (not by my opinion)

*sorry about my poor English

Post #: 11
- 28/1/2009 1:16:52 PM   
ghulley

why even bother with it? Ohh big titted bitch who never seems to die. Gears of War or Mass Effect or even Grand Theft Auto would be a more interesting video game adaptations rather than doing a known failed film frachise once again.

But hay ifs its Megan Fox then sure, see you at the cinema!

Post #: 12
Fox is a little young ... - 28/1/2009 2:13:39 PM   
Nicky C

... and skinny IMHO. Maybe if she puts on some muscle and does some kung fu!? The original 2 were SO bad that I only got halfway through the 2nd one before I switched it off in disgust. If the new one is brave enough to ACTUALLY HAVE A STORY then maybe, just maybe, it will be cool. Basically, don't let anyone who worked on the others near it. It's sad, because Jolie was the only good thing in it. Spot on accent!

Post #: 13
- 28/1/2009 2:13:40 PM   
waltham1979

Anyone else think that Carla Gugino should play Lara Croft???

Post #: 14
RE: - 28/1/2009 3:48:16 PM   
KeithM

Are actual English actresses so thin on the ground that American actresses are the only option?

If they can't even be bothered to get that bit right, what hope is there for the integrity of the rest of it?

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 28/1/2009 3:56:39 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

Are actual English actresses so thin on the ground that American actresses are the only option?

If they can't even be bothered to get that bit right, what hope is there for the integrity of the rest of it?

I am inclined to agree with you (although it was simply my desire to see Carla Gugino in a vest top and hot pants the inspired my choice!)

Honestly though, I am struggling to think of an english actress - other than maybe the aforementioned Rohona Mitra - who would fit 'ahem' the role?!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 28/1/2009 4:17:02 PM   
KeithM

I'm sure there are plenty in drama colleges, struggling in tv, or just breaking through into film who would kill for the role.  However, if it all comes down to 'can they sell tickets?', the recognition factor will probably be far more important than their actual suitability for the role or for their acting ability.  Which does narrow down the potential list of suitable English actresses considerably.  Which is why, if they think like that, the prospects are bleak tbh.

The most likely way this has any chance of being any good is if they make choices based on artistic concerns, not marketing ones.  It's easier to market a Tomb Raider film with an lesser known actress if it's good, than trying to convince people to see a bad one with a famous actress in the role.  Imo.  Opening weekend maybe not, but if they want more than merely an ok return, the quality of the film itself will be the most important factor.

However, if they can manage to do both - famous actress and a good movie, then they will have a winner.  Won't be holding my breath though.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 17
Biel's Bourne to be Bond - 28/1/2009 5:56:44 PM   
picknmix

I think Jessica Biel would be dynamite, hot in the pants, she can handle the action and has a believable english accent. If this is done right this could rival Bond/Bourne.

Post #: 18
- 28/1/2009 6:29:04 PM   
tejrai

oh great, another film they're gonna make 'darker'. i cant stand this obsession with 'darkness'. i personally loved the very camp very enjoyable first Lara Croft film

Post #: 19
- 28/1/2009 8:21:09 PM   
John Firth

The first film was damn good fun. No brains required, but fun nonetheless. The second, though, was atrocious. I was both happy and unhappy in equal measure seeing Simon Yam in it, as he's a fantastic actor, but he's done far too much rubbish for a paycheque in Hong Kong already.

Post #: 20
Y'KNOW YA GETTIN OLD WHEN........... - 28/1/2009 10:53:53 PM   
boredbluekoala

They keep tryin to re-boot (tiresome bloody phrase) a franchise in the same decade it was launched in. The Hulk and the Punisher have been so far, Superman is next as we keep being reminded. Ahh well, can't blame em for tryin huh?

Post #: 21
RE: WTF!!! - 29/1/2009 12:12:47 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Histeria

Flawed as the TR films were (especially the second), they were pretty damn enjoyable. And very importantly, Jolie absolutley nailed the part of Lara - getting the look,  moves, attitude and (thankfully) the accent spot on.

Spot on. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Histeria
Shame Ms Jolie is too expensive and too 'serious' an actress for this these days.

Ahem - Wanted?  Sky Captain? 

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Histeria)
Post #: 22
RE: WTF!!! - 29/1/2009 7:27:50 AM   
Tech_Noir

Rhona Mitra anyone?

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 23
RE: WTF!!! - 29/1/2009 10:31:17 AM   
Timon

Or Emily Blunt? But I agree, just go back to Rhona Mitra. She oesn't command a huge salary so perhaps they'll be able to afford a decent writer/director.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 24
- 29/1/2009 1:25:41 PM   
Big Red

I suppose Rhona Mitra would be the obvious choice!!
I think there's great potential in a new Tomb Raider film but we'll have to see.

Post #: 25
- 29/1/2009 2:00:11 PM   
Laura T

I too heard rumours of Megan Fox being in talks to star. I'm not sure, can she do an english accent?? Why not cast an English actress for an English role?

Post #: 26
- 29/1/2009 2:58:51 PM   
Big Red

I think there's great potential in a new Tomb Raider film but we'll have to see.

Post #: 27
- 29/1/2009 3:45:15 PM   
Big Red

Post #: 28
- 29/1/2009 3:47:04 PM   
Big Red

Post #: 29
RE: - 30/1/2009 10:11:01 AM   
FGT

Good to see some other people liked the first 2 films. Perfect Popcorn films and La Jolie looked great. As far fetched and silly as any Bond or Indiana Jones film, I wonder if it's more to do with Angelina not conforming to the accepted roles that attractive women should play? The films are based on computer games.why expect anything other than entertainment from them?

What would Dexter do?

(in reply to Big Red)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Tomb Raider Reboot Is Coming Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI