Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ALIENS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: ALIENS Page: <<   < prev  21 22 23 [24] 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ALIENS - 8/4/2012 10:38:20 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: djdarrenjames

quote:

Going to see this on the big screen on Tuesday!

Where's it on?

Filmhouse in Edinburgh

Oooh, that'd be awesome. Is it the normal edition, or the special?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 691
RE: ALIENS - 8/4/2012 10:58:18 AM   
Rgirvan44

its a 70mm print from the intial run so won't be speical edition.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 692
RE: ALIENS - 8/4/2012 11:09:54 AM   
DazDaMan

So it's the better version then....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 693
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 8:30:22 AM   
Sutty

I liked the special edition... Loved the scene with Ripley learning about the fate of her daughter. It really adds to her relationship with Newt,like she is making up for not being there for her own daughter. And Hudson giving the skinny on what weapons they have on the drop to LV-426 is cool. And the Centurian guns are wicked! They were called the centurians weren't they? Century? Something like that. Yeah, the special ed is better I reckon.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 694
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 2:18:39 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

I liked the special edition... Loved the scene with Ripley learning about the fate of her daughter. It really adds to her relationship with Newt,like she is making up for not being there for her own daughter. And Hudson giving the skinny on what weapons they have on the drop to LV-426 is cool. And the Centurian guns are wicked! They were called the centurians weren't they? Century? Something like that. Yeah, the special ed is better I reckon.

Sentrys?

I prefer the extended cut. You could complain about the length but it adds so much more and the longer middle section only adds to the tension and the coming pay off! I wish they had kept the Burke cocoon section (see on youtube). Infact, I wonder why they decided to cut it out in addition to the "egg" scene in Alien- both were awesome.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 695
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 3:14:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The extended cut is great - the sentry guns definitely add to the tension, especially when the aliens stop attacking and the guns are like showing no rounds left whatsoever.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 696
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 4:27:58 PM   
Spaldron

Like the above posts state the extended cut is the superior version of Aliens.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 697
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 4:33:23 PM   
matty_b

It's really not. The sentry guns bit is good, but everything else is superfluous, particularly everything involving the colonists before they find the eggs.

Hadley's Hope is much more effective when deserted and ripped to pieces with no-one in sight.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 698
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 4:40:44 PM   
MonsterCat

I watched the theatrical cut yesterday, and to be honest I didn't miss the extra scenes.

Like Matthew said, it's mostly superfluous, especially the stuff with Newt's family stumbling upon the derelict.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 9/4/2012 4:41:06 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 699
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 5:05:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think the film is so good it works both ways, personally I think the perfect version of Aliens for me would be to lose all the extra scenes apart from the sentry guns.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 700
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 5:59:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

The Special Edition of Aliens personally for me is the definitive version! Because of the following,

1) we get to see Ripley mourning the loss of her daughter, explaining her strong motherly love for Newt

2) the fucking Sentry gun scene! Just love how the Xenobuggers keep coming, and coming until we're down to the last rounds...builds up the tension perfectly

And other scenes beside.

But whether your a fan of the theatrical or the extended it makes no difference, because either way Aliens is fucking awesome!!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 701
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 7:53:08 PM   
djdarrenjames

I liked seeing hadley'shope before the outbreak. It gives a face to the disaster and character to the deserted corridors when the marines get there. To see it bustling with kids and normal folk raises the cost that was paid and what Burke did. These were real people rather than just unseen and unnamed numbers.
"Must have ben one hell of a fight"

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 702
RE: ALIENS - 9/4/2012 10:22:23 PM   
Sutty

I don't know how one could say that the extra scenes in the special edition don't add to the movie. They do. In spades. Without the scenes with Newts family the terraformers become mere cyphers later on and you miss out on Newts loss. And as stated previously, Ripley finding out that her daughter is now dead adds so much more to her motherly instinct towards Newt, being more than just a "hero quest" to save a child.

And yeah, the Sentrys are awesome. And as I also mentioned on a previous post I LOVE Hudsons run down on what type of weaponry the soldiers are taking to LV-426. More Hudson the better!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to djdarrenjames)
Post #: 703
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 1:16:37 PM   
matty_b

I don't think we need to see those things, to feel Newt's loss though. And I'll stand by my point that our first sight of Hadley's Hope being this torn-to-shit place is hugely eerie and effective - which you'd lose by seeing the colonists before it.

I also don't think we need to have bond between Ripley and Newt hammered over our heads with the 'lost daughter' sequence, either.

But other people like those scenes, and fair enough, it's just an opinion.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 704
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 5:59:41 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I don't think we need to see those things, to feel Newt's loss though. And I'll stand by my point that our first sight of Hadley's Hope being this torn-to-shit place is hugely eerie and effective - which you'd lose by seeing the colonists before it.

Agree. I don't like the extra scenes. I prefer us (the audience) to find out they have lost contact (with the colonists) at the same time as Ripley, it makes it more powerful. It's almost like Ripley is playing catch-up with the audience with that extra scene
I'd agree that Ripley finidng out about her daughter is a powerful scene, but again it's pretty pointless, really making me think she's a selfish cow for leaving her in the first place. For Ripley to have a back-story kind of spoils it for me.
I prefer the version that scared the shit out of me at the cinema after sneaking in aged 14.

< Message edited by jonson -- 10/4/2012 6:00:19 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 705
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 6:17:47 PM   
Spaldron

May end up having to miss tonight's screening of this, will just have to console myself with the boxset.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 706
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 6:55:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

It's sold out anyway - going down just now for a few pints! Cannot wait.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 707
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 7:59:11 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

You lucky sod!!!! With regards to the special edition I've realised that all my repeat viewings over the past few years have actually been the extended cut so if I rewatched the normal version I'd probably miss those scenes.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 708
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:17:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

Just back from the screening. No idea what print they used but it looked GREAT. Little to no fading - looked crisp and nice and grainy.

Post #: 709
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:29:42 PM   
Whistler

quote:

Just back from the screening. No idea what print they used but it looked GREAT. Little to no fading - looked crisp and nice and grainy.

That was awesome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 710
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:30:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

There was a minor hiccup which showed the skill with which it takes to spool and play a 70mm film. But it didn't matter/

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 711
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:34:17 PM   
Whistler

I assume you're talking about the double screen towards the end? I found it pretty amusing. It's been ages since I saw the theatrical cut - I forgot how much was actually missing. It's still just as good though.

(Also, if you heard someone shouting "It's all over man!" at the start, that was my buddy ha)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 712
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:34:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I assume you're talking about the double screen towards the end? I found it pretty amusing. It's been ages since I saw the theatrical cut - I forgot how much was actually missing. It's still just as good though.

(Also, if you heard someone shouting "It's all over man!" at the start, that was my buddy ha)

I was directly in front of you guys then.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 10/4/2012 11:35:07 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 713
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:38:32 PM   
Whistler

Cool . I bet you were literally in the seat in front of me, ha.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 714
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:48:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Yeah, I heard you saying afterwards "well someone had to do it" - or words to that effect!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 715
RE: ALIENS - 10/4/2012 11:59:40 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I heard you saying afterwards "well someone had to do it" - or words to that effect!

I wanted to start the clap myself but I didn't have the balls in case people didn't join me. As if they wouldn't! What a loser I am...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 716
RE: ALIENS - 11/4/2012 12:05:24 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

May end up having to miss tonight's screening of this, will just have to console myself with the boxset.

Just be sure and lemme know when you intend to do this, as Prometheus is out very, very soon!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 717
RE: Aliens - 11/4/2012 8:24:23 AM   
Russ Whitfield

Thanks for the coffee.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 718
RE: Aliens - 2/9/2012 1:24:47 AM   
max314

A grin-stopping, linen-dropping express elevator to Hell.

★★★★★

< Message edited by max314 -- 2/9/2012 1:25:03 AM >

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 719
RE: ALIENS - 29/7/2013 12:28:09 PM   
moremovies

Looks like i am going to have to watch this version becasue i am a big fan of the alien movie's but never seen the extended versions.

http://givememoviereviews.wordpress.com

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 23 [24] 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: ALIENS Page: <<   < prev  21 22 23 [24] 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI