Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ALIENS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: ALIENS Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ALIENS - 25/1/2012 7:37:31 PM   
djdarrenjames

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

quote:

I prefer Alien3 to that of Aliens.
There I've said it,I now expect to be lynched.

A bit of explanation and expansion please, it may hold the mob at bay...

I will explain all later.
It might be long winded reply

Of course you are welcome to your very bold opinion, I for one would love to hear why.
They are two very different movies just happen to be in the same universe and for all its faults and problems in production, it turned out alright.
I really liked it but not better than Aliens or Alien.

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 631
RE: ALIENS - 25/1/2012 7:52:36 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: djdarrenjames

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course you are welcome to your very bold opinion, I for one would love to hear why.
They are two very different movies just happen to be in the same universe and for all its faults and problems in production, it turned out alright.

If it's the 'assembly cut', you're talking about, then I can understand, as it's infinitely better than the theatrical cut. If not, however, then sir, you are nuts!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to djdarrenjames)
Post #: 632
RE: ALIENS - 25/1/2012 8:52:07 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If it's the 'assembly cut', you're talking about, then I can understand, as it's infinitely better than the theatrical cut. If not, however, then sir, you are nuts!

Yeah its that one
The theatrical release was far to short and ,above all else,Paul McGanns being in said film was actaully worth it,as he was non existent in the theatre release.
But i'll say mroe laters.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 633
RE: ALIENS - 26/1/2012 4:29:57 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah its that one
The theatrical release was far to short and ,above all else,Paul McGanns being in said film was actaully worth it,as he was non existent in the theatre release.
But i'll say mroe laters.

I haven't seen the Assembly cut yet, will have to check it out. I'm eagerly awaiting your explanation... don't get me wrong I love Aliens but I'm more then accepting of other peoples' opinions.
Should this be in the unpopular opinions thread though?

Post #: 634
RE: ALIENS - 27/1/2012 8:11:01 PM   
gazpop

I just started watching the Prometheus trailer. Then clicked it off as I realised I don't want to spoil the show when it comes out. Has anyone else managed to avoid it? I personally dont think we should watch it. But there's always gonna be some who cant resist........

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 635
ALIENS - 27/1/2012 11:27:58 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

I just started watching the Prometheus trailer. Then clicked it off as I realised I don't want to spoil the show when it comes out. Has anyone else managed to avoid it? I personally dont think we should watch it. But there's always gonna be some who cant resist........

Mate, I've watched that trailer about FIFTY times. It really is a great teaser. CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS FILM.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 636
RE: ALIENS - 27/1/2012 11:29:11 PM   
gazpop

Amen brother. Cant believe its taken so long for someone to re-enter the Alien universe

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 637
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 12:00:54 AM   
Cool Breeze

The trailer is worth taking a look at gazpop, t doesnt really give anything away except convey an overall mood of suspense and danger.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 638
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 3:33:10 AM   
djdarrenjames

quote:

no, knowing scott, he's gonna give us just enough to get hyped enough without killing us!
i know for a afact that the 2  minutes we have to pick apart will reveal to us fuck all about the big picture.

This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 639
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 3:42:35 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

The trailer is worth taking a look at gazpop, t doesnt really give anything away except convey an overall mood of suspense and danger.

I agree with this. I was a tad apprehensive too about watching the trailer and said that I wouldn't! But I'm glad I did as it really whets your appetite for the film.

Art

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 640
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 10:46:45 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

Mate, I've watched that trailer about FIFTY times. It really is a great teaser. CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS FILM.

Me too, I watched it about 10 times in a row, pausing about every shot It is THE film I am most excited about.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 641
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 11:01:17 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

quote:

Me too, I watched it about 10 times in a row, pausing about every shot It is THE film I am most excited about.

Seconded, I even made the mistake of reading Empire's trailer breakdown for it, I just couldn't resist. In a year for cinema that is look pretty exciting, this is right at the top. Sir Ridders is a master.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 642
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 4:02:32 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

quote:

Seconded, I even made the mistake of reading Empire's trailer breakdown for it, I just couldn't resist. In a year for cinema that is look pretty exciting, this is right at the top. Sir Ridders is a master.

I hear you guys, and I got about a minute in (what are those cool vehicles?) but then shut it off. A lot of the posters on this thread are my fave people on the forum (plus you all love Aliens so you rock!) but, you know? I'm gonna keep my head below the parapet on this one and try to ram in as many 'shocks' as poss when it comes out. But good luck to you all; I'm actually kinda jealous you lot have seen more than I have. I just can't win

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 643
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 5:08:05 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Why I prefer Alien3 To that of Aliens?

Hmm, well let me just say Aliens is a far more rounded, developed film than that of Alien3,its a better film in that sense.

But if you gave me the choice now to watch either Alien3 or Alien3 Assembly Cut over that of Jim Cameron's Aliens, I'd take either Alien3 film in an instant.

Why?, well both versions have "issues”, more so the theatre release, but it's the atmosphere of Alien3 that just resonates with me. I love the depressing no-hope situation it is surrounded in, I like the fact you have an odd sympathy towards characters you should have very little with i.e. murderers, rapists and just generally nasty people, I love the films score by Elliot Goldenthal (Heat),I like the brutal performance of a more rounded and hardened Ripley (along with Charles Dance and speech-king-Charles Dutton) and I like the fact it is set in a dirty,grimey,lost-hope of an environment that has a strange beauty about it.

The other thing I love about Alien3 is the quotes certain characters come out with.
This is possibly all leaned towards Dutton's character i.e. Dillon, who comes out with the most spine-chilling quotes that have ever been said in anything Film to date.

" We're all gonna die. The only question is when. This is as good a place as any to take our first steps to heaven. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or on your fucking knees... begging?! I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say fuck that thing! Let's fight it!”

When he says this and the score comes in, it is truly powerful stuff.

Another very small quote from this film that also brings a chill down my spine is when Ripley, being in Bishops2 company, and says "no!” and closes the gate. Again the score plays a big part of the feel of the scene but the pure essence of Ripley
Basically saying "I've had enough of this shit, and I've had enough of the company or you” is another sign of Ripley's great strength and determination.

While the films ending is beautiful. Ripley, after all she has been through, seen friends/colleagues come and go because of this beast, finally takes her own way out, she joins her friends. And yet again Elliot's Goldenthal's score is brilliantly paced and carries a massive chunk of emotion.
If you play the ending in your head then the score here is just brilliant in every possible way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agCmezMPXqM

If you are interested in watching Alien3 again then the best bet is the assembly cut. Of course its also not without its issues, but the story is far more universal and less short.
Paul McCann performance as Golic is frightenly perplexed and, towards the end, sinister. Though of all its great cast I would have still liked to have seen the Late Pete Postlethwaite take a bigger role in the film, maybe even P.McGanns character? ,Poslethwaite as Golic would have given the character more physicality about him that maybe McGann lacks.

But anyway that why I love the indifferent Alien3.

Now let me also put this straight, I do also like Aliens, hell it has Michael Biehn (Terminator, Abyss)  in it kicking ass. The films performances are great, the Films tempo is brilliantly performed, the score is great especially when Ripley takes control of the hardened-army-car and bursts through the exterior of the companies building, the music in that part is great, the final battle between Ripley and The Queen is brilliant and pure cult. Hell I also love Aliens full-stop, yet Alien3 has a hold of me that no other film has ever had.

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 28/1/2012 5:09:27 PM >

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 644
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 5:11:46 PM   
gazpop

I, and many others I'm sure, hereby applaud your honesty (some clapping gifs please tech-people)
You're still wrong though. Joke. Ish. Not.

Post #: 645
ALIENS - 28/1/2012 5:46:08 PM   
Snake-Eyes

We have TWO threads on ALIENS...?

ALIEN 3 is better than ALIENS...?!

Snake-Eyes is confused...

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 646
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 5:51:12 PM   
gazpop

No Snake, I'M confused. It's almost like you're saying it's bad to have 2 threads on Aliens? And now the Mods have probably been alerted. Thanks mate, thanks a bunch!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 647
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 6:08:58 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

No Snake, I'M confused. It's almost like you're saying it's bad to have 2 threads on Aliens? And now the Mods have probably been alerted. Thanks mate, thanks a bunch!

oops! sorry mate!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 648
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 9:37:43 PM   
MartinBlank76

For belfast fans of Hicks, Michael Biehn is appearing in the Heroes and Legends convention in February.

I must go and annoy him by asking questions about aliens while he attempts to talk about his new film.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 649
RE: ALIENS - 28/1/2012 10:45:57 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

For belfast fans of Hicks, Michael Biehn is appearing in the Heroes and Legends convention in February.

I must go and annoy him by asking questions about aliens while he attempts to talk about his new film.

Please annoy him
I hear he (rightly) goes on a mild rant when people ask him questions with regards to Alien3 and his ill-timed death.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 650
RE: ALIENS - 29/1/2012 5:20:34 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

Please annoy him
I hear he (rightly) goes on a mild rant when people ask him questions with regards to Alien3 and his ill-timed death.

Yeah, I think they used a model of his body without asking for his death? Not too sure on this one, but something went down.

Post #: 651
RE: ALIENS - 21/3/2012 6:32:40 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

ALIENS on E4 tonight at 10pm

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 652
RE: ALIENS - 21/3/2012 8:17:22 PM   
Sutty

I think it is fair to say that Aliens is better than Alien. Aliens is also Camerons best movie. Yeah, better than The Terminator too.

This is only my opinion of course.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 653
RE: ALIENS - 21/3/2012 9:33:59 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

I think it is fair to say that Aliens is better than Alien. Aliens is also Camerons best movie. Yeah, better than The Terminator too.

Alien just edges it for me, but they're both 5 star films.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 654
RE: ALIENS - 22/3/2012 2:31:52 AM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

I got to say that I think any suspense drawn out in Alien can be matched if not surpassed in the far superior sequel. And it has Hudson! Game over man!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 655
RE: ALIENS - 22/3/2012 8:19:00 AM   
darthbane

quote:

quote:

quote:

I got to say that I think any suspense drawn out in Alien can be matched if not surpassed in the far superior sequel. And it has Hudson! Game over man!!

This^
Especially the sequence when the characters realise that their defenses have been breached and they barricade themselves in to make a stand. The motion detectors are genius! That pulsing sound creates so much tension. Then the realisation that the character have locked themselves in with the Aliens who are crawling through the ceiling........
WOW!!!!
Sorry Alien fans, Aliens is better. Not by much, but it is better

< Message edited by darthbane -- 22/3/2012 8:20:58 AM >

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 656
RE: ALIENS - 22/3/2012 9:32:12 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

quote:

This^
Especially the sequence when the characters realise that their defenses have been breached and they barricade themselves in to make a stand. The motion detectors are genius! That pulsing sound creates so much tension. Then the realisation that the character have locked themselves in with the Aliens who are crawling through the ceiling........
WOW!!!!

I find them too different to compare: one essentially a horror film and the other an action-siege film.  Even the aliens act completely different in each. Both great films. That's good enough for me.

"Hudson, come here COME here.
Look into my eye. "

< Message edited by st3veebee -- 22/3/2012 12:21:41 PM >

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 657
RE: ALIENS - 22/3/2012 10:18:04 AM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

quote:

This^
WOW!!!!

I find them too different to compare: one essentially a horror film and the other an action-siege film.  Even the aliens act completely different in each. Both great films. That's good enough for me.

Hudons, come here COME here.
Look into my eye.

I completely agree that they are two different films, although they do share similarities in terms of generating tension. Although you can compare them, as I do, purely in terms of how much you enjoy them, how they make you feel. Alien is a masterpiece in my mind, but i enjoy Aliens more

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 658
RE: ALIENS - 22/3/2012 10:58:59 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Alien wins it hands down for me everytime.
I find Aliens (deep breath),abit boring.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 22/3/2012 11:05:15 AM >

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 659
RE: ALIENS - 22/3/2012 11:45:48 AM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Alien wins it hands down for me everytime.
I find Aliens (deep breath),abit boring.

BORING!?
How What Why

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: ALIENS Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI