Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Aliens

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Aliens Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aliens - 27/1/2009 5:54:28 PM  1 votes
ky

Watched the special edition for the first time in ages the other night. Great enterainment, some beautifully macho locker-room banter between the marines ("stop your grinnin' and drop your linen") and Ripley kicks ass.

Only thing was that there seemed to be less aliens in it than I remembered.

What do we think of the film? Any other memorable lines?

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 7:20:06 PM   
Tech_Noir

So much said about this classic already, there's little else to add.

Personally prefer the theatrical cut.

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 2
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 7:29:35 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

So much said about this classic already, there's little else to add.

Personally prefer the theatrical cut.
Same here.The theatrical cut flows a lot better(though the special edition is interesting and worth a watch).Aliens is probably my most rewatched Dvd and i endlessly quote this film.Whenever i get killed playing video games i just shout ''THATS IT MAN! GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!''.

They should have ended the series here but sadly they thought the fans would love to see most of the survivors of this film die horrible deaths in the first few minutes of the third movie.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 27/1/2009 7:30:15 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 3
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 7:36:25 PM   
Tech_Noir

Weaver carries the film (which is pretty obvious since she's in every scene) but the supporting characters should also get equal praise. Some aren't even in the film all that but we remember them. If you think about it Bishop is barely in it.

Favourite has to be this man though.

His lack of backstory kinda helped make him so cool.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 4
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 7:46:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 5
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 7:50:48 PM   
darth silas

I think people often forget that Aliens is an ensemble film.Weaver is the star of course,but the supporting cast are all excellent.Lets face it how many times do people quote Ripley in this film? Its the likes of Hicks,Apone,Drake,Bishop,Vasquez,and especially Hudson who are all the most memorable and have the best lines.

''ALL RIGHT SWEETHEARTS WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR BREAKFEAST IN BED?''

''HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS CHICKEN SHIT OUTFIT?''

''HEY MAN,I ONLY NEED TO KNOW ONE THING..WHERE.THEY.ARE.''

''SOMEBODY WAKE UP HICKS!''

''OK, WE WASTE HIM.NO OFFENCE!''

''I MAY BE SYNTHETIC,BUT IM NOT STUPID''.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 6
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 7:55:57 PM   
Tech_Noir

Even Newt has more memorable lines than Sigourney.

Post #: 7
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 8:01:46 PM   
darth silas

quote:

Even Newt has more memorable lines than Sigourney.
For all the wrong reasons! Shes kinda annoying at times but didnt deserve to drown in her cryotube after surviving for over a month on her own on a planet full of nasty Aliens.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 8
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 8:05:33 PM   
Tech_Noir

As child actors go Carrie Henn was pretty good.

Never once annoyed me. Maybe if she was in the film more she might - which may possibly be the reason I don't like parts of the special edition.

Post #: 9
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 8:10:30 PM   
darth silas

She wasnt too bad.Its her high pitched screaming which got on my nerves.''RRRRRRIIIIIIIIPPPPPPLLLLLEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!''

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 10
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 8:13:14 PM   
Timon

Gentlemen! I don't mean to knock Mr Ky's thread but may I direct your attention to The Aliens Appreciation Thread featuring a Q&A with Frost himself. Oh yes.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 11
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 8:13:37 PM   
KnightofZyryab

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."

I always quote this, even if out of context.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 12
RE: Aliens - 27/1/2009 8:19:25 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Gentlemen! I don't mean to knock Mr Ky's thread but may I direct your attention to The Aliens Appreciation Thread featuring a Q&A with Frost himself. Oh yes.

Be nice if the forums had a blend option, so these posts can be connected onto this other thread.

Hey Empire! Get working!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: Aliens - 28/1/2009 7:26:40 PM   
ky

quote:

Cheers, Timon. Was looking for an Aliens thread bedore I started this one but obviously didn't look hard enough!! (Love the Indy avatar by the way, can't get any to work on mine for some reason

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Aliens - 28/1/2009 7:50:52 PM   
DazDaMan

There's always room for another Aliens appreciation thread, isn't there?

Me?  I much prefer the theatrical cut to the Special-Ed.  Just flows a lot more naturally, even without the whole "Ripley has a daughter" backstory to it, making the bond between her and Newt more tangible.  Mewstly. 

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 15
RE: Aliens - 28/1/2009 7:56:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

Just read through that Aliens thread. I am shocked no one commented on the Frost interview. He was good marine - would even call your folks if you didn't make it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 16
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 4:13:17 PM   
Tech_Noir

One of the best movie settings ever, the whole Hadley's Hope colony, interior and exterior.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 4:30:43 PM   
MI Cruise

I bought the Alien/Predator total destruction set, and it contains Aliens theatrical and directors cut versions, however I havent had a chance to watch them yet.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 18
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 4:37:38 PM   
Tech_Noir

Also love the APC.

In the novelisation the gun at the top is used when they flee from the first attack.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 19
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 5:41:05 PM   
HughesRoss

Hate people who say Alien is better than Aliens and Vice Versa.  You can not watch the one without the other as they are both classic films.  The biggest regret in my cinema love is the treatment that Fincher had by the the Executives for Alien3.  We should have a trilogy in our DVD collection that will never ever get beaten as Fincher's idea and love for the Alien Franchise should have warrented a third up there with the first two.  Even Resurection has some good moments.  How good is Aliens- Not even the awful experience of Paul (what are you doing) Anderson's AVP can spoil my love for these wonderful 2 films.

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 20
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 5:57:22 PM   
Tech_Noir

Alien 3 shouldn't have included Ripley, her story was done by the end of Aliens.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 21
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 6:10:13 PM   
HughesRoss

Interesting!!!! I would have thought that idea be better served for the 4th, I never quite bought the Clone idea.

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 22
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 6:37:26 PM   
Tech_Noir

One of the things I liked about Alien 3, the Company truly came across as a threatening force - never got that with Alien or Aliens.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 23
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 6:55:44 PM   
darth silas

Ripleys story was indeed over by the end of Aliens.She went back and faced her fears and triumphed.You also get the impression that she and Hicks would get together and would adopt Newt.

What they should have done next was a Colonial Marines prequel.Who wouldnt have wanted to see Hicks,Hudson,Vasquez,Frost,Drake et al in their own movie using all the high tech artillery wed seen in Aliens?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 24
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 7:04:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

The Company wasn't really involved in what happened in Aliens. That was all down to Carter. Its one of those little things I like about it - the big bag Weyland Yutani didn't seem to fussed by the Alien.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 25
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 7:06:41 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The Company wasn't really involved in what happened in Aliens. That was all down to Carter. Its one of those little things I like about it - the big bag Weyland Yutani didn't seem to fussed by the Alien.

Bit of a mistake there, in Alien it was a big deal in Aliens it wasn't.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 7:08:58 PM   
HughesRoss

I like the Company angle Sir Tech! and it could have been expanded in AVP as we had the link with good old Lance but DAMN YOU ANDERSON.  I quite like Ridley Scott's idea for a prequel based on the ship discovered in the original and how it got there with those pesky little eggs, but Scott as admitted AVP has killed off that idea...DAMN YOU ANDERSON!!!!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 7:10:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Bit of a mistake there, in Alien it was a big deal in Aliens it wasn't.

It has been something of a plot hole ever since release. If the Company knew about the planet and the ship why did they not send someone out after the events of Alien?

Cameron kinda sidesteps the whole issue, making Weyland Yutani pretty uneasy about the whole story and placing the outbreak squarely on the shoulders of one man. THEN in Alien 3 the Company is back to being all evil. Their motivations change every darn film.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 28
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 7:27:56 PM   
Tech_Noir

The problems with the Company arose with the first film, if they knew about the ship and this valuable cargo why send some space truckers to retrieve it? They should have sent a proper science/military team from the start.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 29
RE: Aliens - 31/1/2009 7:34:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

The problems with the Company arose with the first film, if they knew about the ship and this valuable cargo why send some space truckers to retrieve it? They should have sent a proper science/military team from the start.

Well I doubt they would have wanted the military involved. And Ash was pretty well equipped for the science side of things. I would also guess space exploration was still pretty new and there wouldn't have been a huge number of ships avaliable. A sort of right place right time deal.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Aliens Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI