Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. - 16/1/2006 10:22:07 AM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabal

Goners sounds like it could be interesting, if somewhat unoriginal. Whedon certainly has the potential to write good scripts. But Wonder Woman, although not something I'd get excited about anyway, will turn out to be pretty bad I think. Whedon can't work with the intellectual properties of other people. Set him any sort of limit, like a pre-established universe for a character and an iron-clad canon, and he comes up with crap. No big loss however.

Based on what exactly?

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to Cabal)
Post #: 31
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 16/1/2006 10:23:46 AM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubleshiny

I'm quite excited to see Goners, seeing as it's an original Joss Whedon story. Wonder Woman will be great I'm sure but I really want to see what he can come up with on his own. By the way, my mate runs the website for it, www.gonersmovie.com

Plot-wise, all Whedon will divulge is that it's about a young woman, and involves heroics.

Oh yeah. Real original.

Enough with this hack - more on the REAL king of TV Aaron Sorkin. Surely his upcoming effort deserves more attention than this broken record?

Well I'm now conviced hes crap!

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 32
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 16/1/2006 10:28:31 AM   
Ripper

quote:

So, when an article is put up on the news section, and our opinion is sought, it has to be positive? We MUST respond to it with joyus rapture? i read to see what he's doing next. IMO he seems to be following his worn out formula of "kick ass babe" to lure in fanboys but hey, that isn't positive so I guess I'm not entitled to post, am I?

Facist.

What do you feel is gained by just posting totally unconstructive critisism on any thread to do with Whedon? At least think of a real argument, something which does not end in 'what a hack!' And dont you think its hypocritical to claim everyone else is kissing his arse when you seem to be doing little else to Aaron Sorkin's?

And how the hell is the guy a facist? He's giving his point of view which imo seems a tottally reasonable one. If anything, its you who are the facist, not him.

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 33
- 16/1/2006 2:39:19 PM   
The Judge

"What I like is more of the same!!" you're not in bad hands with Joss 'Girls fight stuff' Whedon...

Hey Joss...any ideas for a new film?... What? A girl fighting stuff...you rock, here is some cash!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
RE: - 16/1/2006 3:33:24 PM   
Ripper

The only detail we know at the moment is there is a female main character who will share one aspect with Buffy. So why oh why are people saying that this is just a film which is only a baby step away from being a remake of the aforementioned slayer?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to The Judge)
Post #: 35
RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. - 16/1/2006 3:37:26 PM   
Mozza

quote:

Whedon can't work with the intellectual properties of other people. Set him any sort of limit, like a pre-established universe for a character and an iron-clad canon, and he comes up with crap. No big loss however.

Which would, in fact, make him a person who works best with original ideas?

One of the rarest things in Hollywood, I think you'll agree!

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 36
RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. - 16/1/2006 4:25:19 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

quote:

Goners sounds like it could be interesting, if somewhat unoriginal. Whedon certainly has the potential to write good scripts. But Wonder Woman, although not something I'd get excited about anyway, will turn out to be pretty bad I think. Whedon can't work with the intellectual properties of other people. Set him any sort of limit, like a pre-established universe for a character and an iron-clad canon, and he comes up with crap. No big loss however.

Based on what exactly?

Quite. His run on X-Men has been great.

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 37
RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. - 16/1/2006 5:18:29 PM   
Zatoichi

quote:

Whedon can't work with the intellectual properties of other people. Set him any sort of limit, like a pre-established universe for a character and an iron-clad canon, and he comes up with crap. No big loss however.

Have you ever seen Firefly?

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 38
RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. - 16/1/2006 9:19:15 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

quote:

Have you ever seen Firefly?

Why would he need to when blindly useing blanket statements is easier?

- George Dubya Bush

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 39
Wonder Whedon - 17/1/2006 5:00:44 PM   
The Jackle

So the guy has a thing for women who (if they wanted to) could kick his arse. Good for him. Man after my own heart which is good because it gives us Buffy like heroines to drool over. Bring on Wonder woman! Mind you though, no one can replace Buffy or ever will, she's just too special.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 40
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 18/1/2006 2:17:42 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

quote:

So, when an article is put up on the news section, and our opinion is sought, it has to be positive? We MUST respond to it with joyus rapture? i read to see what he's doing next. IMO he seems to be following his worn out formula of "kick ass babe" to lure in fanboys but hey, that isn't positive so I guess I'm not entitled to post, am I?

Facist.

What do you feel is gained by just posting totally unconstructive critisism on any thread to do with Whedon? At least think of a real argument, something which does not end in 'what a hack!' And dont you think its hypocritical to claim everyone else is kissing his arse when you seem to be doing little else to Aaron Sorkin's?

And how the hell is the guy a facist? He's giving his point of view which imo seems a tottally reasonable one. If anything, its you who are the facist, not him.

The unoriginal concepts? The smug scripts? Have you read my posts? I've also posted fair points of view, but they're overlooked by people like you who can't tolerate a counterpoint of view and dismiss an alternative viewpoint.

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 41
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 18/1/2006 4:00:58 PM   
Katamarang

quote:

Facist.

I think there's a difference between the 'kick ass babes' and heroes who just happen to be female. Lara Croft is a kick ass babe, but Buffy is a hero because she's a fully formed character who besides being the slayer has lots of relateable qualities like the way she feels under pressure and doesn't always do the right thing. She's the everywoman, rather than just being there for boys to oggle at.
Also there are loads of films with male heroes but when another one comes out no one complains about that being unoriginal do they?

< Message edited by Katamarang -- 18/1/2006 4:16:56 PM >

It's so funny I'm haemorrhaging inside.

http://www.savethetivoli.co.uk/
please help save my local cinema cheers

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 42
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 18/1/2006 5:05:09 PM   
Dave B

quote:

The unoriginal concepts? The smug scripts? Have you read my posts? I've also posted fair points of view, but they're overlooked by people like you who can't tolerate a counterpoint of view and dismiss an alternative viewpoint.

So because some of your posts have been ignored in the past (not every post can be responed to you know) you just scream that Whedon's a hack in order to get some attention?

In respone to your critisums I will say Joss Whedon has used three concepts, and totally different to each other. Buffy is about growing up and finding your place in the World but being unable to. The horror's the Buffy encounters (vampires, demon's etc) are just metaphors for the everyday things a teenager and young adult have to go through. Growing up is about taking responsibility and like any normal person, Buffy sometimes fails, which is what makes her such an interesting character.

Angel is very different to Buffy. As Angel is a lot older than Buffy, he doesn't have to deal with the angst of growing up, instead it's about redemption and not only making up for the past but coming to terms with it. Angel's already figured out his place in the World but struggles with the fact that whatever he does, it can never make up for the acts he commited as a vampire. Yes the show contains strong female characters (thats a problem how?) but unlike Buffy, it's not about feminisum.

Firefly is about a group of people you aren't wanted in the World (or 'Verse). Everyday things such as eating and buying enough fuel to do the next job become major problems in their lives. Mal is not as well defined as either Buffy or Angel, keeping his past hidden from the rest of his crew (and therefore the audience), yet his motivations are still understandable. He'll have no problem putting the lives of his crew in danger, if it means saving them in the long run. For instance going to Miranda in Serenity and passing through Reaver space was near suicide but it was the only way of finding out about River's past and thus giving him and his crew a chance to defend themselves against both River and the Government.

So, three completely different shows with completely different themes and characters. As for the smug dialogue and scripts, I can see where your coming from but Whedon manages to give depth and substance to the worlds he creates and the characters, making the drama and emotion seem real. Yes there's a lot of jokey dialogue, which does irritate a lot of people but for me it Whedon's way of making sure the series doesn't take itself too seriously, therefore going up it's own backside, like Star Trek for instance. Also, he'll never undermine the real emotion or drama for a joke, such as the death of Buffy's mum (a very depressing episode) or the scene's after Book's death in Serenity, Mal's character is taken to a dark place and Whedon doesn't pull any punches.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 43
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 18/1/2006 7:49:50 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Don't you like the West Wing?

So do I by the way, but come on. Pot, kettle and a whole lot of darkness with a comment like that.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 44
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 18/1/2006 9:58:12 PM   
Joedini

Joe, there is no way that Joss and unoriginal concepts can be placed in the same sentence. If you can give me show's that Buffy, Angel and Firefly were "copied" from then we can talk on that one. In the meantime you are simply wrong

However I agree that at the moment, what we have heared about Goners, does sound like he is retreading old ground - but not enough has been revealed about it yet. I am for some reasom looking forward to this more than Wonder Woman though

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI