Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

"It's Like Buffy, But Scary"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> "It's Like Buffy, But Scary" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"It's Like Buffy, But Scary" - 12/1/2006 3:04:15 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Any Whedon project is worth it - 12/1/2006 3:31:57 PM   
Wrath

And to have two is even more so. Just a shame he probably won't go back to TV for a while.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Whedon Not Good For Other's IPs. - 12/1/2006 3:55:11 PM   
Cabal

Goners sounds like it could be interesting, if somewhat unoriginal. Whedon certainly has the potential to write good scripts. But Wonder Woman, although not something I'd get excited about anyway, will turn out to be pretty bad I think. Whedon can't work with the intellectual properties of other people. Set him any sort of limit, like a pre-established universe for a character and an iron-clad canon, and he comes up with crap. No big loss however.

I hope he doesn't come back to TV for a while, unless it's with Firefly, as if he does another heroine led drama with [insert genre here] it'll be too much like his older projects. He needs to get some new interests.

Post #: 3
Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 12/1/2006 3:56:24 PM   
discodave101

Forget about Wonder Woman (how uninspired a movie choice to do for someone so talented) and go straight to this goners project AFTER doing a BUFFY movie!!!

Post #: 4
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 12/1/2006 4:06:22 PM   
Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

Forget about Wonder Woman (how uninspired a movie choice to do for someone so talented) and go straight to this goners project AFTER doing a BUFFY movie!!!

While I love Buffy and Angel, it's time to leave it alone. No Spike spin-off, no TV movie, just end it. The only Buffy spin-off that could work would be Ripper as that would be something completely different.

Can't say much on Goners at the moment as Whedon has yet to reveal much but anything by Whedon is a must see in my book so I'm looking forward to it. The horror element sounds interesting and I agree that Buffy lacked anything truly scary so it should be a change of pace. It's also way to early to say Whedon's being unoriginal with focusing on another strong female character as we don't know any details of this character.

As for Wonder Woman, can't say I'm all that bothered either way. I'm sure it will be good but I can't gather that much enthusiasm for the film.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 5
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 12/1/2006 5:56:11 PM   
doubleshiny

I'm quite excited to see Goners, seeing as it's an original Joss Whedon story. Wonder Woman will be great I'm sure but I really want to see what he can come up with on his own. By the way, my mate runs the website for it, www.gonersmovie.com

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 6
- 12/1/2006 6:14:13 PM   
tmancour

Screw the Buffy crap. If he wants to play with horror, fine. Comic Books, too. WE WANT OUR FIREFLY BACK ON TV! Hear me Joss? Don't make me stop this car!

Post #: 7
*Tantrum* - 12/1/2006 8:33:27 PM   
F_raser

Is it selfish that I just want Josh to drop everything else and get on with getting Firefly back on tele? I don't care if it is! I want it, I want it, I want it, and I want it right now. Now! Now! Now!

Post #: 8
- 12/1/2006 9:08:40 PM   
billythehick

yet more secrecy. what is up with hollywood and being under-the radar? cos they just saturate us with crap in the end anyway! (now there's some interesting imagery)

Post #: 9
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 12/1/2006 9:44:52 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubleshiny

I'm quite excited to see Goners, seeing as it's an original Joss Whedon story. Wonder Woman will be great I'm sure but I really want to see what he can come up with on his own. By the way, my mate runs the website for it, www.gonersmovie.com

Plot-wise, all Whedon will divulge is that it's about a young woman, and involves heroics.

Oh yeah. Real original.

Enough with this hack - more on the REAL king of TV Aaron Sorkin. Surely his upcoming effort deserves more attention than this broken record?

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to doubleshiny)
Post #: 10
- 12/1/2006 10:08:31 PM   
ElFie

I want a Buffy movie and a new Firefly series - he needs to make some time for those please.

Post #: 11
Serenity 2 or Firefly 2 - 13/1/2006 1:26:54 AM   
mbever94

Don't care for Buffy or Wonder who? And Goner what? Just want some shiney new episodes on Sci-Fi about the Serenity crew. I watch DVD sales too and everything in the top 10 is going to have a sequel of some kind made of it. I, like so many others, didn't know it existed until it hit Sci-Fi or Serenity was promoted. Have they learned nothing from Trek? If the fans want something we will get it. Long live Serenity and its crew for many episodes or sequels to come.

Post #: 12
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 13/1/2006 2:07:36 AM   
Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

Plot-wise, all Whedon will divulge is that it's about a young woman, and involves heroics.

Oh yeah. Real original.

Enough with this hack - more on the REAL king of TV Aaron Sorkin. Surely his upcoming effort deserves more attention than this broken record?

Just because you didn't like Serenity doesn't mean you need to post in every thread about Joss Whedon, telling us he's a hack. You're worse than directorscut. There are loads of people who are interested in upcoming films from Whedon and we want to hear about them. If you don't that fine, just don't look in the threads and everyone's happy. I agree there were way to many Serenity threads when the film was released and I know how fanboys/girls can be irritating but that's all passed now. Just relax, there's room enough for both Sorkin and Whedon.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 13
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 13/1/2006 10:31:23 AM   
Joe

So, when an article is put up on the news section, and our opinion is sought, it has to be positive? We MUST respond to it with joyus rapture? i read to see what he's doing next. IMO he seems to be following his worn out formula of "kick ass babe" to lure in fanboys but hey, that isn't positive so I guess I'm not entitled to post, am I?

Facist.

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 14
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 13/1/2006 11:07:18 AM   
Angelus

Of course you're entitled to post, but it seems whenever there's a thread on anything Whedon-related, there you are, screaming "Hack!" Don't you think you'd be better off diverting your attentions to things you actually do like? Personally, if I don't like something, I just ignore it.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 15
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 13/1/2006 11:53:40 AM   
Dave B

quote:

So, when an article is put up on the news section, and our opinion is sought, it has to be positive? We MUST respond to it with joyus rapture? i read to see what he's doing next. IMO he seems to be following his worn out formula of "kick ass babe" to lure in fanboys but hey, that isn't positive so I guess I'm not entitled to post, am I?

Facist.

But as Angelus said you seem to post in every thread about Joss Whedon, telling us he's a hack, just to piss off his fans. If you hate everything about Joss Whedon, why do you continue to look in threads about him? It's not like you have anything constructive to say either, your just screaming 'hack' at every opportune moment. We know almost next to nothing about Goners and already your slating the film. If you want to say something constructive (and that includes constructive criticism) then post where you like but doesn't it seem a little petty to post the same thing in every Joss Whedon thread?

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 16
Oh how they'll study Whedon in the future... - 13/1/2006 3:56:05 PM   
bunnydee

Whedon is charismatic in a trillion different ways... And he does it all by sticking to the "little girl that could" routine... I'm certainly not worried about Goners, I'm really looking forward to it. Joss has never disappointed me in the past, and I'm sure he won't now.

And as for other projects "of the past" which we'd like him to do (Spike movie, Serenity comics, and anything else we can get him to tell us about the characters that are already close to our heart), he's also proven that he's up for multitasking till he drops, so I'm not worried about that either.

Post #: 17
Wonder Woman? Yawn... - 13/1/2006 5:09:34 PM   
eirehead

I don't understand why you'd want to do Wonder Woman, Joss, the TV show was so fantastically bad. More Firefly! More Serenity! That's the good stuff!

Post #: 18
Wonder Why - 13/1/2006 7:34:45 PM   
Movie Mogul

Well, OK, so I'd rather have Serenity 2, or an Buffy film, but Joss has always delivered the goods - Dialogue-free episodes, musical horror...the man's a genius. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this one should seriously rock. Even if I can't for the life of me think why.

Post #: 19
- 13/1/2006 9:20:46 PM   
Kaine

"I don't understand why you'd want to do Wonder Woman, Joss, the TV show was so fantastically bad."
- eirehead

Although I agree, the TV series was horrific, think about Buffy the movie. It was just as bad and Joss made a great TV series out of it. Why not go the other way and take a bad TV series and make a great movie out of it? As for a Serenity 2, I don't think we will see one on the big screen since it did so poorly but I hope Sci-Fi or another network will pick up a made for TV movie, mini-series, or dare I say... resurrect the actual series!

Post #: 20
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 14/1/2006 12:01:15 AM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

quote:

Facist.

But as Angelus said you seem to post in every thread about Joss Whedon, telling us he's a hack, just to piss off his fans. If you hate everything about Joss Whedon, why do you continue to look in threads about him? It's not like you have anything constructive to say either, your just screaming 'hack' at every opportune moment. We know almost next to nothing about Goners and already your slating the film. If you want to say something constructive (and that includes constructive criticism) then post where you like but doesn't it seem a little petty to post the same thing in every Joss Whedon thread?

But I've noticed that any constructive criticism is ignored - I said previously in the thread that it isn't an original concept for him, in fact it's one he has used throughout, yet there's no discussion. You just pick out what you want out of my posts to level the insulting accusation that I dismiss his work without explaining why, something I have done quite often.

Any constructive criticism I've posted in the past (unoriginality, shallow dialoge delivered with a witter-than-thou smugness to cover up a lack of depth) is widely ignored.

Put it this way - why can you come on and constantly hail him, yet those of us who can't stand the guy are castigated should we show that we disagree?

You say I always post criticisms, yet weigh it up and I guarantee you've posted a lot more singing his praises. At the moment, whether you like him or not, Whedon is widely discussed on this forum. It's only fair that those who disagree that he's the best thing since sliced bread have as much of a chance to disagree.

My first post on this thread was the first post I've ever made with reference to Goners, and I'm entitled to say that I don't think it will be good just as much as you have to come on and say you're looking forward to it. It wasn't the same as every post as you say, if you check you will see I said it is an unoriginal concept - but you don't want ot see that do you?

Many people dismiss movies on this board as soon as the project is announced when there are certain people involved - just check post with regards to the latest J-Lo or Rob Schneider movie.

Many people come on here and criticise certain film makers quite often, just because I don't like Whedon doesn't give you the right to dismiss my criticism in the quite frankly insulting manner in which you have. I have offered constructive criticism, you just choose to ignore it. 

Eric Cantona

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 21
RE: Wish he wasn't wasting time on Wonder Woman - 14/1/2006 1:43:32 AM   
Dave B

quote:

But I've noticed that any constructive criticism is ignored - I said previously in the thread that it isn't an original concept for him, in fact it's one he has used throughout, yet there's no discussion. You just pick out what you want out of my posts to level the insulting accusation that I dismiss his work without explaining why, something I have done quite often.

Any constructive criticism I've posted in the past (unoriginality, shallow dialoge delivered with a witter-than-thou smugness to cover up a lack of depth) is widely ignored.

I apologise if I haven't responded to any other you criticism's in the past and I certainly didn't mean to insult you. However I just feel you go into every thread about Joss Whedon, telling us you don't like him, when you got the point across perfectly well beforehand.

quote:

Put it this way - why can you come on and constantly hail him, yet those of us who can't stand the guy are castigated should we show that we disagree?

As other posters will tell, I've respond to many of the criticisms leveled at Whedon with a responsible counter argument and there have been some excellent discussions on his work. Again, I apologise if I haven't responded to one of your previous arguments.

quote:

You say I always post criticisms, yet weigh it up and I guarantee you've posted a lot more singing his praises. At the moment, whether you like him or not, Whedon is widely discussed on this forum. It's only fair that those who disagree that he's the best thing since sliced bread have as much of a chance to disagree.

Agreed but just saying he's a hack is not a good starting point for discussion.

quote:

My first post on this thread was the first post I've ever made with reference to Goners, and I'm entitled to say that I don't think it will be good just as much as you have to come on and say you're looking forward to it. It wasn't the same as every post as you say, if you check you will see I said it is an unoriginal concept - but you don't want ot see that do you?

But my point is that we don't know the concept. All we know it that it features a strong female character and some horror, that's not a concept. Yes at the moment it does sound unoriginal for Whedon (which I have stated in the past) but you can't judge it on that thin bit of information. 

quote:

Many people dismiss movies on this board as soon as the project is announced when there are certain people involved - just check post with regards to the latest J-Lo or Rob Schneider movie.

I hate anything Rob Schneider's in, therefore I don't go into threads about Rob Schneider saying he's a good-for-nothing idiot, that would be pointless. Therefore I just ignore any posts about him.

quote:

Many people come on here and criticise certain film makers quite often, just because I don't like Whedon doesn't give you the right to dismiss my criticism in the quite frankly insulting manner in which you have. I have offered constructive criticism, you just choose to ignore it. 

I certainly didn't mean to insult you and I'm sorry if I did. I am defiantly not saying your not entitled to your opinion on Whedon, it just gets very repetitive when you post in every thread about him, telling us you think he's a hack. That's fair enough but we get the picture.

BTW, sorry about the structure and repetitiveness of the post, I just wanted to cover all the points.

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 22
Whedon latecomers - 14/1/2006 1:48:46 AM   
NemesisYojimbo

1st up: eirehead - you do know that WW stretches far beyong the lame TV show. I doubt that Whedon/Warner Bros. are going to be looking to the TV show for any reference. You do know that WW is a decades-old comic book character, not just a character created for the TV show. WW is DC's 3rd biggest character behind Supes and Bats. When they announce the Spiderman films were you like "Why are they making a film about this lame 70s TV show!"?. LOL. At the very least go wikipedia, read up. 2nd: What with all the Buffy hate. "Buffy Sucks, Firefly Rules!!" WTF. You may not like Buffy but come on to say it sucks when you enjoy other Whedon-works which share the same tone and humour is silly. Also No Buffy, No Firefly!I'm hoping Goners turns out decent, with good director and cast. Joss Whedon has yet to disappoint me when it comes to his creations. Buffy is probably my favourite TV show, due it's excellence and growing up with it. Angel owned. Firefly was an excellent show I'd love to see return to TV. I'm sure that if the show had continued it would have joined Buffy as my fav show.

Post #: 23
Whedon latecomers - 14/1/2006 1:48:50 AM   
NemesisYojimbo

1st up: eirehead - you do know that WW stretches far beyong the lame TV show. I doubt that Whedon/Warner Bros. are going to be looking to the TV show for any reference. You do know that WW is a decades-old comic book character, not just a character created for the TV show. WW is DC's 3rd biggest character behind Supes and Bats. When they announce the Spiderman films were you like "Why are they making a film about this lame 70s TV show!"?. LOL. At the very least go wikipedia, read up. 2nd: What with all the Buffy hate. "Buffy Sucks, Firefly Rules!!" WTF. You may not like Buffy but come on to say it sucks when you enjoy other Whedon-works which share the same tone and humour is silly. Also No Buffy, No Firefly!I'm hoping Goners turns out decent, with good director and cast. Joss Whedon has yet to disappoint me when it comes to his creations. Buffy is probably my favourite TV show, due it's excellence and growing up with it. Angel owned. Firefly was an excellent show I'd love to see return to TV. I'm sure that if the show had continued it would have joined Buffy as my fav show.

Post #: 24
Deeply Sorry for the double post - connection acting up - 14/1/2006 1:52:26 AM   
NemesisYojimbo

Also the purpose of my post was not to be condescending, but to enlighten.

Post #: 25
RE: Whedon latecomers - 14/1/2006 10:39:37 AM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: NemesisYojimbo

2nd: What with all the Buffy hate. "Buffy Sucks, Firefly Rules!!" WTF. You may not like Buffy but come on to say it sucks when you enjoy other Whedon-works which share the same tone and humour is silly.

Erm, not really - the tone is a lot darker on Firefly, I prefer the concept, the characters and the cast playing them. Firefly is very different to Buffy (which was far too smug and post-post-post-post-modern for me) and it's definitely possible for someone to love one whilst not liking the other. Just because I like the fact Jayne has a song written about him doesn't mean I have to change my opinion on Once More, With Feeling (which I thought was a bit poo).

< Message edited by Buddy Ackerman -- 14/1/2006 11:36:15 AM >

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

(in reply to NemesisYojimbo)
Post #: 26
Buffy - 14/1/2006 11:03:02 AM   
peterd

What I like is more of the same!! A Big Screen Buffy Surprise Would be wonderful (BSBS)

Post #: 27
RE: Whedon latecomers - 14/1/2006 11:07:35 AM   
elab49

I think Joe is perfectly correct about the ability - indeed the requirement - for contrary viewpoints to be posted civilly to enable discussions to take place on a discussion board.

But if all he has seen is limited Buffy - hence the kick-ass babe comment - I am not sure what the support for his criticism is other than he doesn't like this particular type of production. That said - if you use a cliche to draw them in you keep them by the quality of episodes like Hush and The Body. Unlike JJ Abrahms, eg, who used a cliche to draw them in and just gave them more badly-written ones of the same with a sickening level of empty anti-climaxes. I just want to watch good shows that don't make me feel like I am leaking IQ points.

As for "Whedon certainly has the potential to write good scripts.". Potential? Well how far beyond potential do you go with work like Toy Story? (With not a kick ass babe in sight).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Buddy Ackerman)
Post #: 28
RE: Whedon latecomers - 14/1/2006 8:11:32 PM   
furrybastard

Angel and Firefly were about kick-ass babes!? What the hell was I watching then!?!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: Whedon latecomers - 15/1/2006 2:55:36 PM   
doubleshiny

I don't think that Joss Whedon should really be called 'unoriginal' just because Goners will feature a female hero. If someone directed three films back to back all with male heroes,no-one would bat an eyelid. Whedon is a feminist writer, accusing him of being unoriginal because of that is like saying that Wes Craven shouldn't direct horror, or Paul WS Anderson shouldn't direct shit films.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> "It's Like Buffy, But Scary" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI