Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 17/2/2010 8:54:19 PM   
Rgirvan44

Its not like there is a massive amount of traffic in that forum as it is. Having a subforum seems a little limiting. As a BR owner now I have had no problems with the way it is currently set up - plus you will have repeat DVD and Blu Ray threads which dilutes discussion even further.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 181
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 17/2/2010 9:19:21 PM   
UTB

But the repetition goes on anyway, there are countless threads that relate to a film already out on DVD being released on Blu Ray. If we had a separate forum these could go in there.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 182
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 11/3/2010 12:32:07 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Any update on when these changes are going to happen?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 183
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 22/3/2010 7:37:03 PM   
punchdrunk

I can't seem to leave a message in the Blogs with the code on, I write the message enter the correct code and then when the screen comes back my post isn't, Is this a delay so that it can be approved? Is my system not working right? 

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 184
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 9/5/2010 5:21:03 PM   
Scruffybobby

It may have already been mentioned, but can we have a "jump to page" function? It can be a bit of bugger finding stuff in a long running thread only being able to jump back or foward 3 pages or so.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 185
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 9/5/2010 8:56:12 PM   
Jim

No idea if this is the right thread but here goes.

I just bought an Android phone the other week and I've discovered this rather nifty app called Tapatalk that makes reading forums much easier by formatting them appropriately for the phone screen. Seems forum owners need to download and install a small, free plugin on their end to give users this capability. I'm using it on a couple of other forums that I visit and it's really very useful. Is there any chance Empire would consider adding this?

Website and info is here http://www.tapatalk.com/ as you can see it's for iPhone, Android and a couple others.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 186
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 9/6/2010 7:37:01 AM   
WesleyLawrence

i agree with u..

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 187
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 9/6/2010 7:44:41 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

It may have already been mentioned, but can we have a "jump to page" function? It can be a bit of bugger finding stuff in a long running thread only being able to jump back or foward 3 pages or so.

Just change the page number in the URL, for example, with this thread...

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2188259&mpage=7&key=&NID=0#2748625

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 188
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 9/6/2010 8:57:57 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim

No idea if this is the right thread but here goes.

I just bought an Android phone the other week and I've discovered this rather nifty app called Tapatalk that makes reading forums much easier by formatting them appropriately for the phone screen. Seems forum owners need to download and install a small, free plugin on their end to give users this capability. I'm using it on a couple of other forums that I visit and it's really very useful. Is there any chance Empire would consider adding this?

Website and info is here http://www.tapatalk.com/ as you can see it's for iPhone, Android and a couple others.

Jim, you might be better off posting this in the Iphone forum. First, it's probably more likely to be noticed by Empire as it is a more new and shiny place and second, there is some stuff on something called androids in there already.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 189
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 22/7/2010 11:29:17 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

Hmm this was January 2009.... any chance ? It's a total pain seeing all these random words from the forum main index page.

You could also do with making the links in some of the special forums actually work "Comment on this article" leads nowhere in many. Just now - the game review section.

Changing your own user title would be nice too - and spare up Moderator time

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 190
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 29/7/2010 1:01:14 PM   
UTB

Please can we disable coolstar's 'New Post' button? 

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 191
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/8/2010 6:36:06 PM   
DJ Satan

Any updates on these proposed changes? Lots of good ideas here.

Another suggestion that I will know will never happen: Can the avatars of users who are not coming back be altered? Either faded out or removed entirely. I keep seeing old posts I want to reply to and then realise the original poster is no longer here.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 192
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/9/2010 4:19:25 PM   
Gram123

Is there any intetion to implement any of the suggestions made in this thread?

What happened to the original "We'll give you until 15 March [2009] to make your suggestions"?? We've overan that by 18 months.

My suggestion is: if you've requested that people give you suggestions for improving the site, you should address those suggestions in some capacity!

To be honest, it feels like we're using outdated forum software. It's often slow to open pages (especially via Firefox, for some reason, where the smileys and other minor images take forever to open).

The font system is still weird - something I shouted about maybe a year ago (I think in a different thread?).
The original issue - text formats like coloured fonts and bold disappearing after you submit the post - seems to have stopped (or at least I haven't experienced it for a while) However, font behaviour is still dodgy. Most recently, I've noticed that if I edit a message that has non-standard font in it (e.g. Courier, for it's fixed-width-ness), and copy and paste a piece of that text, the pasted text looks different to the text I've just copied! Wha?!? This never used to happen. What's going on?

The Search facility sometimes just doesn't seem to work - you enter your search terms for something you know you wrote some time ago, and it just fails to find it. I've sometimes had better results using Google and searching for Empire Online Forum plus the search item....
E.g., we know the words "blu ray" have been used multiple times in this thread.
Go to Search, enter the Search Term "blu ray" (without quotes). Set the forum to Empire Online. Other options are set to:
- Topics and Replies
- Subject
- within -- All topics
- single-byte chars
- Top 300 results, match all words
And what does it come back with? One thread. And it ain't this one. 

I don't know, it just feels like the whole thing needs overhauling. Little seems to have changed in the 4.5+ years since I joined. Is anything happening? Planned for the future?

Oh, and I can't remember if there's been a response to this in a different thread (I've tried the Search, it doesn't work!), but here's my earlier suggestion, made in May 2009, which certainly got no response in this thread, and which other people have also suggested multiple times:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
I think a Blu Ray forum is becoming more desirable over time.
[...]
If it's not considered big enough to get it's own full forum, perhaps "BD Discussion" could be added as a sub-forum of DVD Discussion, as with Objects of Desire under Actors and Auters.

If it's a no go, then maybe just renaming DVD Discussion to "DVD & Blu Ray Discussion" or similar?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 193
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/9/2010 6:18:55 PM   
elab49

I've not heard anything about code changes in the time I've been green, sadly. What I would say though is that last time it was adjusted slightly to deal with the PM spammers - limiting the no. of people who could be PM'd - the entire PM system pretty much fell over.

I tend to the 'don't tinker' corner now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 194
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/9/2010 6:20:23 PM   
elab49

Also - isn't the problem with the two separate words blu and ray the search facilities inability to deal with words of 3 letters or less?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 195
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/10/2010 12:58:59 AM   
Gram123

Is it? Fair enough, however, that just shows the limitations of the search facility, I s'pose.

Another search I've tried was for something I wrote about a HK actress in the 60s who played the role of Mulan. I was trying to remember her name. I'm 99% certain it was in Knowledge Base (the other 1% is World Cinema). It was probably a couple of years ago that I wrote it. Can't get any results if I specify "Mulan" (more than 3 chars!) as the search, Knowledge Base as the forum and "Within" "All Topics" as the time filter.

Actually, I've just found it via a Google search - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2254450&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#2255281
The thread was actually from early 2009, and the person I was looking for, Chen Yunchang.

So, what's the issue here? I'm sure we can search for things more than a year old, can't we? If not, it's another limitation to the search function, that could do with upgrading IMHO.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 196
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 9/11/2010 12:16:56 AM   
bobthegrinch

Isn't it about time the forums had one of those 'type the characters you see' boxes on the forums to see if it prevents some of the spamming that appears in every talk back now? Also is there anyway that the spellcheck thing could be changed to the English dictionary as I'm always getting the red squiggle under words and when I check them, I've spelt it right. I know it's only a little thing but I'm English, Empire is British and the American way of spelling certain words is just wrong. Like the classic colour/color.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 197
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 20/1/2011 12:01:25 PM   
flemingstuart

Hello, seems to be nice forum, i am new here..

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 198
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 18/3/2011 3:41:52 AM   
Spaldron

Erm.. ok am I back here again. Testing..

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 18/3/2011 4:17:12 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to flemingstuart)
Post #: 199
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 18/4/2011 9:11:36 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

A Blu-Ray subforum is something I've championed for a while now, it's such a simple change that would make a world of difference....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 200
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/4/2011 4:20:35 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobthegrinch

Isn't it about time the forums had one of those 'type the characters you see' boxes on the forums to see if it prevents some of the spamming that appears in every talk back now? Also is there anyway that the spellcheck thing could be changed to the English dictionary as I'm always getting the red squiggle under words and when I check them, I've spelt it right. I know it's only a little thing but I'm English, Empire is British and the American way of spelling certain words is just wrong. Like the classic colour/color.

Can I just second this. A captcha first, then UK English please?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to bobthegrinch)
Post #: 201
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/4/2011 11:23:17 AM   
elab49

We've asked about the captcha, which seems an obvious way to go since the various other spam filters being tried clearly aren't working. Personally I prefer the symbol one rather than the squiggly writing - I often find those illegible.

I'm not sure the spellcheck is possible - I've used a variety of sites and never found one with a spellcheck that's anything other than useless.

quote:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 202
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 6/7/2011 9:53:12 PM   
WilliamMunny

Hug smilie please.

Thanks you!

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 203
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 29/7/2011 2:22:26 PM   
Fincher

I would love if the empire ipad app was connected to the forum.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 204
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/7/2011 6:25:12 PM   
eliza3

hay all
It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.
eliza3

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 205
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 25/9/2011 1:54:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

The fourms are looking a bit old now - even from when this thread was started. For instance - embedding videos is something most up to date forums should be able to handle

The sheer number of sub forums could be cut down, or tided up without too much hassle. But to be honest, I think the place needs a coat of paint - it has been over half a decade since the place was last revamped - lot has happened in that time.

(in reply to eliza3)
Post #: 206
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 25/9/2011 2:03:17 PM   
MonsterCat

Can someone tell Pigeon Army not to be a big poo-poo head meanie? He changed my sig and made me cry.

Thanx.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 207
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 25/9/2011 2:50:00 PM   
elab49

Do you mean title?

Although, frankly, for The Departed comment you deserve all you get.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 208
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 25/9/2011 3:08:26 PM   
MonsterCat

Well, he changed my title and my sig, and then I changed my sig again to get back at him.

Two can play at that game, you little gumdrop.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 209
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 10/12/2011 12:17:07 AM   
Rgirvan44

So like, will anything ever come of these pages?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI