Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 1:58:18 PM   
theram05

Its fallen apart of late, I dont even read it anymore to be honest now that I cant enter the comp.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 121
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 2:10:45 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

I don't even get sent the weekly email anymore.

Not seen it for over a year now.

I've never been sent the newsletter, despite signing up over 3 years ago and posting the odd reminder in the bugs thread.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 122
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 8:43:08 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho
It's a little bit funny.

I speak as a lady who knows exactly what you're talking about! Why, if I had a nickel for every time my assumed gender had to be corrected.....I'd buy something for two dollars.

Acho has the right attitude about it. It's not worth getting all het up and indignant.

I wasn't being indignant....I was being picky

Meh...I shall formerly retract my previous suggestion (I'd edit it, but I just can't be arsed), as I can't be bothered to....be bothered.

Acho does indeed have the right attitude....as does Gimli. Leave them guessing, I like it. Perhaps they'll have the same reaction the guys at work did when we were talking about boobs and girls in uniform

Oh and....one more vote for not being able to change usernames. I'm still getting the hang of remembering who's who!

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 123
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 31/1/2009 11:21:38 AM   
richCie

i will stage a protest if name changing is allowed! who's with me?

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 124
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 3/2/2009 8:26:07 AM   
theram05

Not me, I'll be all for it in some form or other.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 125
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 3/2/2009 8:39:04 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

It wont be.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 126
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 3/2/2009 8:40:23 AM   
theram05

Ah nuts, thought I was finally going to get rid of the 05.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 127
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 3/2/2009 8:43:28 AM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

It wont be.

i know. i like bold claims though :)

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 128
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 5/2/2009 3:53:53 PM   
DJ Satan

Just remembered one thing I would like to see.

Can links be a different colour? They show up a different colour when posts are previewed but end up he normal colour when posted. This can make them hard to spot.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 129
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 5/2/2009 4:06:30 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Would be possible to disable the reply function or, at the very least, lock threads for threads for films that have just opened? (Untill the film in question has opened, of course) I can see morons giving one star reviews to films like Watchmen and Terminator Salvation before they've actually seen those films. It may actually cut back on the bullshit that Moderators have to read.

< Message edited by Stewie_Griffin -- 5/2/2009 4:08:29 PM >

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 130
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/3/2009 3:47:24 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Just remembered one thing I would like to see.

Can links be a different colour? They show up a different colour when posts are previewed but end up he normal colour when posted. This can make them hard to spot.

Unfortunately, it's probably gonna be up to the poster to add the appropriate colour and underline tags when creating the post, but we can raise it with the powers that be.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 131
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/3/2009 5:05:30 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

With the name-changing, how about you have to have been registered for a year before you can have a namechange, the per 500 post/6 months limit and requesting from a mod/Subtitle change ideas are all also good. As for the post count thing, anytime someone has attempted to use that to lord over someone, they usually get derided mercilessly, so I really don't think it's a big deal to keep it.

Also, I know this will never happen, but I'll ask anyway. A chatroom?

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 1/3/2009 5:12:07 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 132
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/3/2009 7:13:22 PM   
Funkyrae

There is a function that gets used occasionally called gabbly, it's been on here a couple of times and never really took off.  It's much the same sort of thing as a chatroom but couldn't really be moderated as you could sign in under any name you liked and it's run from a different site.

I have to say I can't really see the point of a chatroom on here to be honest DH.  It's far easier to use things like MSN for chatting and a chatroom sort of moves away from the fact that this is a forum.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 133
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/3/2009 9:19:29 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I have to say I can't really see the point of a chatroom on here to be honest DH.  It's far easier to use things like MSN for chatting and a chatroom sort of moves away from the fact that this is a forum.

Well, maybe. Just that another forum I joined has it as built in thing (lot smaller than Empire is, so probably much easier for them to do), and I thought it would just make the forum a little more fun for newbies to get to know people etc. Anyway, just a thought!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 134
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/3/2009 10:00:24 PM   
Funkyrae

No, I completely see your point and agree with how it could help forge better relations, but I think Empire's a bit too big for it really.  Not that it's up to me or that I have any say in the matter anyway

That's me that is!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 135
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/3/2009 10:26:30 PM   
Starscream

We should be able to post pictures in Future Films threads like the orange forum use to have.

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 136
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 14/3/2009 5:59:12 PM   
smila darcy

There have been loads of great suggestions in here, apart from the name changing one!

Mine's about the Actors & Auteurs/ Objects of Desire forums.  I think perhaps a little clean up in there wouldn't go amiss.  There are threads in there that maybe would be better off in Musings.  As for OfD, I think it would be better if it worked in the same way as Mammoth Threads in Off Topic.  By this I mean threads over x amount of posts get transferred over and also that threads can't be started there. 

How long do we have, twenty minutes and thirty seconds? Let's go!

All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 137
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 29/3/2009 2:43:06 PM   
Olaf

Don't know if it's possible, but what about being able to hotlink Flickr images?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to smila darcy)
Post #: 138
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 29/3/2009 9:47:09 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

We should be able to post pictures in Future Films threads like the orange forum use to have.

we can't do that?

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 139
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/3/2009 1:33:58 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Don't know if it's possible, but what about being able to hotlink Flickr images?

Wouldn't that be an issue with flickr rather than Empire?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 140
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 1/4/2009 10:59:41 PM   
Olaf

Yeah, I guess. What about png files?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 141
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/4/2009 4:06:59 PM   
JonathanMardukas

Why was jonty_agutter who started a thread http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2323689 looking for a small piece of advice on a scene for an assignment treated so unfairly. Even if it is Empire's policy to lock such threads I believe they would be better to send the thread starter a PM rather than demeaning him after 4 posts. Clearly as he was new to the site, he was unaware of what he was doing. I cannot see why this thread had to be locked anyway. He wasnt asking for a 10 page essay, merely a suggestion.

P.S - Still love the site and mag, this is just an observation.

< Message edited by JonathanMardukas -- 15/4/2009 4:08:28 PM >

G: Hey, guy. They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta's brother, Tio.
Spanish actor: Como?
G: Oh, you're gonna be in a coma, all right.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 142
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/4/2009 4:25:35 PM   
Peppermint

He wasn't treated unfairly.  He was given a link to the guidelines in his thread and even though he was new, it doesn't mean that the guidelines don't apply to him.  Also, we can't make an exception on this otherwise we'll have to start doing so for everyone.

In addition, there is a thread about the guidelines which people are asked to read before they begin posting.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to JonathanMardukas)
Post #: 143
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/4/2009 4:31:40 PM   
JonathanMardukas

Ok, fair points. I totally understand the guidelines issue etc. But it seemed from the response to his question that all he had to put into his 1st post was e.g. "my favourite scene is the opening one" and the thread would not have been locked.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 144
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/4/2009 4:34:44 PM   
Peppermint

It may not have been, though I'm not sure as I'm not the Mod that locked it.  We do kind of expect people to start a discussion with those kind of threads though, otherwise they're just a standard homework thread and we lock them straightaway.

I think that thread would have needed more than saying "My favourite scene is the one where you can spot Hitchcock's cameo" though

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to JonathanMardukas)
Post #: 145
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/4/2009 4:37:33 PM   
JonathanMardukas

Ok, no problem, Curiosity is fulfilled and your points well made!

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 146
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 3/5/2009 4:21:29 PM   
Spiked

I am new to this forum, but so far I have had a great time here on what seems to be a real nice community site. Looking forward to getting to know you all, and thanks for making me seem welcome. I have been on sites in the past where the newbie just gets chewed out for being new. Its pathetic!

See you around!

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 147
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 7/5/2009 4:19:30 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spiked

I am new to this forum, but so far I have had a great time here on what seems to be a real nice community site. Looking forward to getting to know you all, and thanks for making me seem welcome. I have been on sites in the past where the newbie just gets chewed out for being new. Its pathetic!

See you around!

Hi spiked there is a new members thread in off topic. You will get greeted nicely in there.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 148
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 18/5/2009 10:10:19 PM   
Gram123

I think a Blu Ray forum is becoming more desirable over time.

In DVD Discussion, there are lots of blu threads these days. Currently there are:
9 blu ray threads on page 1
4 on page 2
9 on page 3
etc

If it's not considered big enough to get it's own full forum, perhaps "BD Discussion" could be added as a sub-forum of DVD Discussion, as with Objects of Desire under Actors and Auters.

If it's a no go, then maybe just renaming DVD Discussion to "DVD & Blu Ray Discussion" or similar?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 149
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/5/2009 8:38:26 AM   
Pigeon Army

Spurred on by a recent discussion in "People on this forum" (Off Topic Mammoth Threads), I have something to suggest. If you don't agree, that's super. If you do, however, which I hope you do, I would be incredibly grateful to see it acted upon.

The whole "don't talk about banned members" thing strikes me as a bit odd. I mean, it's not like the banned members will feasibly ever see it again, and there are members who have done good things before they went off the rails or whose bannings are a) sudden and unnoticed until later, b) part of a larger picture which makes them hilarious (I mean, Executive Producer still gets a lot of airplay around these parts, and he was banned), or c) in the very rare case, under unusual and possibly questionable circumstances (I think people have mentioned the one banning that's confused me). I don't see the need for a blanket banning of all discussion about a banned member and everything they did - we're all adults here, and once again, if they're banned, the implication is they'll never see it again. I know this place isn't a democracy, but I don't see the need for the supression of discussion of the banned - how else are we to learn what is bad and what is good than by having them there as examples? Not only that, but the rule seems a bit self-defeating in the manner of Herostratus - by banning the mentioning of their name, it has the opposite effect and makes them more interesting and discussion of them more prolific.

Note, this is pretty much the only problem I have with the Empire system as it runs today, and it's only a recent complaint. I think it's something that does need addressing.

Please don't ban me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI