Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 22/1/2009 7:30:49 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Since then I've found that Favourite Films can often be a good source for discussion of films that aren't new releases - the TWBB thread (he says self-advertising), for instance, has thrown up a couple of good discussions. 

true, but that forum doesnt seem to get anywhere near as many hits as movie musings....

to me it seems the best discussions come about perhaps unintentionally (although i agree, your TWBB thread is good) i think it was your list when Fight Club came up and that provoked a relatively lengthy and intelligent debate over the film. then again there was a good(ish) debate again recently in Lists and Top 10's over the coen brothers

< Message edited by richCie -- 22/1/2009 7:32:28 PM >

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 91
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 22/1/2009 11:24:56 PM   
Rinc

I think a lot of regular posters ignore Movie Musings, so often the best debates are in Favourite Films and Lists. Just because Musings gets the most posts doesn't make it the best forum for everything.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 92
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 5:07:26 AM   
doubtlesswonder

I don't know how popular thisidea will be, but on another forum that I visit, they have little gender signs next to people's usernames (like a pink feminine sign or a blue masculine one). It's down to the individual whether they want it to be shown because there are on their edit profile page for 'male', 'female' or 'rather not say'.

I know it's not a major thing, but I know there are a few people here (myself included!) who get sick of having to tell people what gender thay are. It seems that a lot of people assume the posters on this forum are all male...

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 93
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 11:34:48 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

You  really have got a bee in your bonnett about this, haven't you?

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 94
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 12:18:23 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

Leave him alone...

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 95
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 12:32:39 PM   
parsonage84

How about getting rid of Save your favourite threads? surely they are amongst the more pointless ones and are used just to build post counts

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 96
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 12:41:25 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

How about getting rid of Save your favourite threads? surely they are amongst the more pointless ones and are used just to build post counts

Dont go in there. Problem solved.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 97
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 12:52:12 PM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Some people would change their names every day, just to piss us off. Never underestimate the level of arsehole in this place.

Perhaps a username could only be changed once, or maybe it could be changed every 500 or so posts? Perhaps only users with over a certain level of posts could change their username?

Just some suggestions, dont be shocked, but I'm trying to be helpful.....

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 98
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 12:55:30 PM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

[awaiting approval]

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 99
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 4:20:12 PM   
Harley Quinn

If you could change names, how would the mods know if that name was in use or not?

We could end up with two people on the boards with the same name.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 100
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 4:41:25 PM   
homersimpson_esq

There's a list of all the forum members somewhere - I'm sure it wouldn't be too tricky to check.

Rammy, I had to read your post above twice looking for offensive double entendre of some sort - shocking that it was a straight, genuinely helpful post!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 101
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 4:52:46 PM   
Harley Quinn

That's a thought, bet it's a bastard long list though.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 102
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 9:53:05 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

quote:

Leave him alone...

....You aren't funny

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 103
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 9:56:14 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

Leave him alone...

....You aren't funny

It's a little bit funny.

I speak as a lady who knows exactly what you're talking about! Why, if I had a nickel for every time my assumed gender had to be corrected.....I'd buy something for two dollars.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 104
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 27/1/2009 10:33:18 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

actually thats not a bad idea...

But sometimes the topic of discussion does drift, especially in the larger threads.

You could just go and read what is being discussed, I'd find it alot more useful to see what threads are updated rather than guessing what someone is trying to get across in their heading

Meanwhile...

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 105
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 12:34:51 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Perhaps a username could only be changed once, or maybe it could be changed every 500 or so posts? Perhaps only users with over a certain level of posts could change their username?

I think the main reason why people want there usernames changed is because they're not easy to abbreviate, which is just a really stupid reason.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 106
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 12:37:05 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho
It's a little bit funny.

I speak as a lady who knows exactly what you're talking about! Why, if I had a nickel for every time my assumed gender had to be corrected.....I'd buy something for two dollars.

Acho has the right attitude about it. It's not worth getting all het up and indignant.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 107
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 12:38:23 AM   
Acho

quote:

quote:

I think the main reason why people want there usernames changed is because they're not easy to abbreviate, which is just a really stupid reason.

Try telling that to !xHoTRoDx! 

Post #: 108
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 12:41:59 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

What kind of moron would choose that as their username?

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 109
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 12:47:05 AM   
Acho

Someone on the first page of the Member List (I wasn't going any further than page one to research my post!)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffen
Acho has the right attitude about it. It's not worth getting all het up and indignant.

Is too!

*throws girly strop*

Post #: 110
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 5:09:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Leave him alone...

....You aren't funny

It's a little bit funny.

Don't correct them, just leave 'em guessing. More fun that way

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 111
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 8:22:31 AM   
theram05

quote:

quote:

Nah, I'd just be happy to get the 05 off my name.

Post #: 112
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 11:59:20 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

actually thats not a bad idea...

But sometimes the topic of discussion does drift, especially in the larger threads.

You could just go and read what is being discussed, I'd find it alot more useful to see what threads are updated rather than guessing what someone is trying to get across in their heading

I think the topic should be changed more often in some threads - for example the tv threads so you can see what episode is currently being discussed and avoid spoilers if you haven't seen it yet..

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 113
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 28/1/2009 2:46:38 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Leave him alone...

....You aren't funny

It's a little bit funny.

Don't correct them, just leave 'em guessing. More fun that way

Gimli, you're a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. 

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 114
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 29/1/2009 11:30:11 AM   
aliahmed

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how i can find out who the competition winners are if there ever are any?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 115
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 29/1/2009 11:51:55 AM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: aliahmed

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how i can find out who the competition winners are if there ever are any?

No one knows who they are . They are all nameless faceless nobody's that simply dont exist . I have never won anything anyhoo . Not from Empire at least . When i was 10 i won a giant Hulk poster from Marvel that was the length of my bedroom door .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to aliahmed)
Post #: 116
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 9:06:53 AM   
theram05

These 2 names rugularly win.

Helen Hewitt
Chris O Hara

< Message edited by theram05 -- 30/1/2009 9:07:26 AM >

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 117
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 12:49:15 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: aliahmed

Hi Guys,

I won an Empire comp. So it does happen.

Took them a few months to notify me though.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to aliahmed)
Post #: 118
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 1:41:43 PM   
theram05

I won, then they banned me from entering anymore.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 119
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 30/1/2009 1:57:32 PM   
jediwarrior

I don't even get sent the weekly email anymore.

Not seen it for over a year now.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI