Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 9:10:22 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

In my experience with Forums I've always found the best way to deal with Post Counts is to leave them displayed, but set it so posts in Off Topic forums don't count. It might not work on here, which is a much bigger forum than a lot of other places, but it does mean that the people who are interested in post counts can't just go into Fun and Games and post shit all day long. To be honest I don't really see the point in the post count anyway. Having a large post count means people can see you've posted a lot and perhaps are seen as a more established member of the forum, but surely posting a lot means your name will get recognised anyway due to the frequency of seeing it. Did that make sense?!

I don't agree with that. Many posts in Off-Topic have far more weight to them to compared to what's posted in Movie Musings.

I agree about Fun and Games though. That can go.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 61
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:14:05 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I don't agree with that. Many posts in Off-Topic have far more weight to them to compared to what's posted in Movie Musings.

What a good idea.  Let's get rid of the one forum where none of the Mods have to step in and stop people arguing

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 62
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:17:52 PM   
clownfoot

Can we get a new vending machine in Musings? The cheese and pickle sandwich selection is jammed and I'm tottally Hank at the moment.  

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 63
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:26:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Can we choose to turn off avs.  This makes it easier to have a look at the site while at work 

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 64
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:34:45 PM   
DJ Satan

It's not been mentioned yet but can we keep the ban of images in the signature. Some forums I use are almost unusable as each sig takes up half a page of graphics.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 65
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:37:46 PM   
rikkie

quote:

It's not been mentioned yet but can we keep the ban of images in the signature. Some forums I use are almost unusable as each sig takes up half a page of graphics.

Hell yeah - I made the mistake of looking at the Sci-Fi channel's BSG forums and there are practically unreadable because of the ridiculous images in people's sigs.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 66
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:46:26 PM   
Spider

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

In my experience with Forums I've always found the best way to deal with Post Counts is to leave them displayed, but set it so posts in Off Topic forums don't count. It might not work on here, which is a much bigger forum than a lot of other places, but it does mean that the people who are interested in post counts can't just go into Fun and Games and post shit all day long. To be honest I don't really see the point in the post count anyway. Having a large post count means people can see you've posted a lot and perhaps are seen as a more established member of the forum, but surely posting a lot means your name will get recognised anyway due to the frequency of seeing it. Did that make sense?!

It's not Off Topic, it's places like Mammoth Threads or Fun And Games where the posts are all one line or less. It makes a mockery of the post count really since there's people who will only post in Movie forums and have a relatively puny count. I would be happy to see it go though.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 67
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 2:30:42 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

If this comes into effect, we should make an exception for Acho, just because it's Acho.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 68
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 2:34:31 PM   
Felix

Its already in effect Stewie. See, we're not the gestapo some people make us out to be...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 69
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 2:36:53 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Its already in effect Stewie. See, we're not the gestapo some people make us out to be...

Well I didn't know that.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 70
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 2:39:54 PM   
Felix

From the Guidelines...

quote:

Smilies in sigs are allowed if they are no larger than 5K and if they are comparable in visual size to post smilies used on the forum. Banners are definitely not allowed. Signature smilies not meeting these limits will be removed by a mod and the user notified by PM.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 71
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 5:17:58 PM   
richCie

ok i've decided to 100% support the idea of seperating the main page generated threads from the forum.
check out this travesty of a thread:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=277454&mpage=1&key=&NID=14714#2181572

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 72
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 5:32:43 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Can we choose to turn off avs.  This makes it easier to have a look at the site while at work 

You can do that already, go to My Empire -> My Forum Preferences and there's a checkbox listed by Speed Options.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 73
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 17/1/2009 8:44:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

With regards to the post count, if there was ever a reason to discredit the idea that a high post count equals quality posts, then it's me.

I have no idea why people should think those with a high post count have better things to say. Common sense would dictate otherwise.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 74
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 2:05:17 PM   
richCie

i am getting a little annoyed with the condensing everything to one thread thing. the eden lake thread in movie musings i feel warranted a seperate thread, after all it wasnt a review but a discussion of the film and its themes. i think this policy stifles discussion rather than encourages it, and i feel it's a policy that needs some serious reconsideration.

if donavan was to post his Original post in the review topic it would change the focus of the thread and anyone who turned up half way through simply to post a review then they'd seem entirely out of place.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 75
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 4:39:47 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

I would be 100% against people being able to change their usernames. That way madness lies!

Even if it was done or had to be done by a mod?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 76
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 4:47:32 PM   
rikkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

I would be 100% against people being able to change their usernames. That way madness lies!

Yup.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 77
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 5:05:11 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

Yup.

I've just read the rest of the thread I see it covers a big discussion on this already.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 78
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 5:37:53 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

If this comes into effect, we should make an exception for Acho, just because it's Acho.

Aw, thanks Stewie!

Although maybe I should draw attention to it in this thread...!

Based on what's been said so far, I agree with condensing the number of forums. Soundtracks as a sub-forum of Audiophile, combining all the DVD ones, that kind of thing.

And a definite yes to removing some of the lesser used smilies which are on the left panel, clicking on 'more smileys' means having extra windows open.

Post #: 79
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 8:51:41 PM   
rich

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 80
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 10:15:06 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

If you've gotta change anything, stop the title changes in replies so that I can see the topic that is actually being discussed in the most recent reply.

actually thats not a bad idea...

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 81
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 10:29:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

But what would we do about the ED < LOTR thread?! That title is changed frequently to reflect the true nature of LOTR being greater than ED. 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 82
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 19/1/2009 10:51:17 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

But what would we do about the ED < LOTR thread?! That title is changed frequently to reflect the true nature of LOTR being greater than ED. 

exceptions can be made!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 83
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 20/1/2009 12:55:50 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

You mean propagating the lie that LOTR is in some way superior to ED? Quality is better than Quantity remember.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 84
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 20/1/2009 10:30:23 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

actually thats not a bad idea...

But sometimes the topic of discussion does drift, especially in the larger threads.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 85
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 20/1/2009 10:52:24 AM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

i am getting a little annoyed with the condensing everything to one thread thing. the eden lake thread in movie musings i feel warranted a seperate thread, after all it wasnt a review but a discussion of the film and its themes. i think this policy stifles discussion rather than encourages it, and i feel it's a policy that needs some serious reconsideration.

I agree with this 100%, sometimes mods can be a little too lock happy.

I also like the post count, keep it where it is

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 86
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 20/1/2009 12:36:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I think this is of relevance on this thread. 

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 87
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 20/1/2009 3:01:08 PM   
richCie

generally i find that movie musings leaves alot to be desired, there is very little serious discussion going on, something which i'd rather enjoy, which is why i think that seperate discussion threads are a good thing (not lots of them but one for each film like homer suggested in that thread he linked)

Post #: 88
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 22/1/2009 2:20:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Since then I've found that Favourite Films can often be a good source for discussion of films that aren't new releases - the TWBB thread (he says self-advertising), for instance, has thrown up a couple of good discussions. 

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 89
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 22/1/2009 3:04:18 PM   
Rinc

Changing usernames would be madness!

The post count should also stay as 99.9% of people on here welcome newbies. That said on the Film Reviews forum i'll often scan a thread and just read the reviews from users with quite a few posts, but that's mainly because there's so many people with 1 or 2 posts who just post rubbish.

Condensing some of the forums would be good. Like making Golden Oldies a sub forum of Favourite Films, Soundtracks a sub forum of Audiophile and DVD Club a sub forum of DVD Discussion. Also as Homer said Knowledge Base belongs in On Another Topic.

And yes get rid of the review section!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI