Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:15:54 PM   
Olaf

Maybe you could combine Favourite Films and Lists & Top 10s? There's a lot of overlap with those two.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 31
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:20:15 PM   
James2183

What if instead of having Golden Oldies and World Cinema down the page we had it as a sub forum under Movie Musings at the top? 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 32
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:32:24 PM   
punchdrunk

Plot: Expose the contents of Area 51!!! we demand it!

...actually don't, I don't think our brains could handle the truth.

My request is that Personal Blogs are removed, Off Topic is there if people want to spout random stuff and it's easier for people to access and comment on.  

Verdict:

Empire Forum is a Taut thriller with occational humour, managed by firm but fair Mods and brief mild nudity (with no exposed parts). Just don't take your gran to see it.   

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 33
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:45:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

the empire book club was good for a awhile but there just werent enough people involved.

Aye. plus I kinda stopped putting up suggestions for new books...

With regards to the changing usernames thing, why not instigate an ebay-style system? For a period of a week/two weeks/whatever, the subtitle would be "Formerly homersimpson_esq", or whatever the previous username was. Since only mods can change the subtitle it would be an easily done thing, should name changes become possible. It would stop the trolls from doing it - especially if name changes had to be done via a mod, like the subtitle changes do now. Plus by having a thread for it, it would make the requests public which would further reduce the likelihood of abuse. Then after the week/fortnight/etc, the person who requested a username change could put a request for a regular subtitle, or it could be automated to change after that time period, just like it changes automatically after x posts for those who don't elect to have a personal subtitle. Course, I have no idea how easy these automated things would be, but I don't see huge swathes of people wanting to change their usernames - just those few who, as rgirvan44 said (not an easily abbreviated username, hence the desire for change I suspect!) signed up with relatively little thought for a distinctive name.

I think the idea of having the Golden Oldies and Foreign Film sections as subforums of Movie Musings makes sense. As does limiting Review threads to forum members.

Knowledge Base is a general forum, and would be more appropriate as an Off Topic sub forum.

Bookworms, Joypad, Audiophile and Grandstand, could be grouped together as Other Entertainment, or some other catchier name and might get more traffic that way. Not grouped as one forum mind, else the dreaded page 2 would be reached too fast, but as one forum grouping akin to "On Another Note", etc.

Special Forums are pretty much redundant, except for reading nicholsonmhead's book reviews...

I think reducing the number of forums seen on the main page is significant. At present we have 32 forum lines, and that's quite daunting. By removing the Special Forums, putting DVD Club as a subforum of DVD Discussion and Soundtrack as a subforum of Audiophile, by putting GOlden Oldies and World Cinema as subforums of Movie Musings, it would reduce it to 24 by my calculations. It could possibly be reduced further still, but I'm not sure how at the moment.

I'll give these and other things some more thought and probably post again.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 34
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:49:51 PM   
punchdrunk

Why isn't 'Movie musings' above 'Hall of Fame'? in top billing it would be much easier for newbies.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 35
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:50:31 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

I don't know if this is the kind of thing that Sharkboy was asking from us, and I'll probably get my bollocks cut off for saying this, but how about bringing in some new Moderators? I mean some of you have been doing this for years, and to be honest, It's a little sad. Time to give others a shot at this, don't you think?

Oh yeah, and bringing back Birthday Notifications would be sweet.

Aww, does someone else want a go on the swing?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 36
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:52:44 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

I don't know if this is the kind of thing that Sharkboy was asking from us, and I'll probably get my bollocks cut off for saying this, but how about bringing in some new Moderators? I mean some of you have been doing this for years, and to be honest, It's a little sad. Time to give others a shot at this, don't you think?

You've got a swing?

Bet you don't have a roundabout.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 37
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:53:09 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
but I don't see huge swathes of people wanting to change their usernames - just those few who, as rgirvan44 said (not an easily abbreviated username, hence the desire for change I suspect!) signed up with relatively little thought for a distinctive name.

I don't know. The rate some of you guys go through changes of avatars and titles I wouldn't be surprised if some tried changing every other week!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 38
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:54:14 PM   
Felix

Some people would change their names every day, just to piss us off. Never underestimate the level of arsehole in this place.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 39
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:55:59 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

They would retire the mods, but Empire can't afford all the Gold watches they are due for their years of faithful service.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 40
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:57:20 PM   
richCie

i'm still against the changing of names.

but reducing the forums on the front page is a good idea.

so to recap: invisiotext
remove special forums
reduce off topic to include "other entertainment"
squeeze world cinema and golden oldies into sub forum.

and knowledge base really does need a move...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 41
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:57:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Some people would change their names every day, just to piss us off. Never underestimate the level of arsehole in this place.

This is true. There's a solution that was best put during the 80s. If you're asked too many times to change a username...

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 15/1/2009 9:58:26 PM >

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 42
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 9:58:02 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

It's a valid point, some of the mods have been mods for around half a decade.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 43
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:03:54 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf
quote:

quote:

I don't see the point of his point, So what if the mods have been mods for a long time, I'm not going to modd this place, are you? The ones that have stuck with it for a long time are experienced with keeping a smooth running of the forum and keeping it from becoming IMDB-alike. If you do want to be a Mod I'm sure they will consider new applicants. If they stay in the haunted house for two nights.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 44
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:05:27 PM   
Felix

Its much much worse than that. You have to do stuff with Clowny that would make jonson blush.

And he cant blush, the blood in his body turned to dust about 350 years ago.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 45
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:08:29 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan
I find the post count quite useful to spot newbie members so we can be more helpful with them. (Also a few of the swap areas suggest a minimum post guideline for participation to help rule out passing users).

Sadly there have been cases where post counts have come to act as status on the forum. What if instead of having the post count under their names when they post on the forum their post count could be seen upon clicking their profile? That way there is still a post count for people to see and be aware of, but not so in your face?

That's a fair compromise. (But I would personally prefer them to stay as they are.)

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 46
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:12:12 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see the point of his point, So what if the mods have been mods for a long time, I'm not going to modd this place, are you?

That's a bit of a generalisation.
What's wrong with a bit of change anyway? I'm not saying "do away with all mods!", but I'm sure some of the mods wouldn't mind not having to read everyone's posts (can't say for certain obviously, that require more feedback from mods), and I can't see the problem with a few new mods to freshen things up a bit.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 47
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:14:01 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

Knowledge Base is a general forum, and would be more appropriate as an Off Topic sub forum.

Seconded.
quote:

Bookworms, Joypad, Audiophile and Grandstand, could be grouped together as Other Entertainment, or some other catchier name and might get more traffic that way. Not grouped as one forum mind, else the dreaded page 2 would be reached too fast, but as one forum grouping akin to "On Another Note", etc.

I disagree with that. Most of the time now I only browse the "On Another Note" index and it's nice to see news, off topic, tv, joypad, books, music and sport updates all on one page.

Post #: 48
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:15:50 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

but I don't see huge swathes of people wanting to change their usernames - just those few who, as rgirvan44 said (not an easily abbreviated username, hence the desire for change I suspect!) signed up with relatively little thought for a distinctive name.

I don't know. The rate some of you guys go through changes of avatars and titles I wouldn't be surprised if some tried changing every other week!

I'd make it available for special reasons (see rgiven) but if it's a clear, unique, name without an obviously good reason I would just say no.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 49
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:18:52 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's because they do a good job. As mentioned elsewhere - if it's not broke don't fix it.

Besides, there is a slow turnover of mods already. I know several ex mods and I think I noticed another one lose their green recently* so I'm expecting someone to get promoted any day now.

*Unless it happened ages ago and I'm just really slow at noticing.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 50
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 10:33:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

I'd make it available for special reasons (see rgiven) but if it's a clear, unique, name without an obviously good reason I would just say no.

Yeah, maybe an appeals process. i.e "Hi, I;m Rgirvan44. My name sucks. May I have....instead"

But I would guess the mods wouldn't want to deal with all of the requests.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 51
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 11:13:13 PM   
Felix

I agree, a facility for us to change names would be good, but as you say, only if the person has put their real name or a really sucky one.

DJ, no mods left lately, they just forgot to change the colour of Gothy and GGR's names when they left, so they were changed to black recently.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 52
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 11:35:04 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I take it if changing names is being discussed then the ability to change our own titles wouldn't be out of the question? I remember someone asking about it a while ago and they were told the software didn't allow it, but I guess that could be changed if there was something that could possibly be done about names. Even mods can't change those at the moment, after all.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 16/1/2009 12:02:12 AM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 53
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 11:41:02 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

What if instead of having Golden Oldies and World Cinema down the page we had it as a sub forum under Movie Musings at the top?

Yeah I think that could work, it makes sense (and would get more people talking about old and world cinema which I think is A Good Thing) and could be done in Off Topic as well. It all just looks a bit overwhelming when you first sign up, it took me quite a while to throw myself into it and find my feet.

The thing about having all the forums is that it gives Empire its personality - which is that its very vast, and really quite cliquey. I'm sure there are forum members who have as many posts as me who I really rarely see. That seems quite nice when your a part of a couple of the cliques, but when you're new I think it can be a bit disheartning. For a long time I felt a bit of a ghost on the forums, and people have posted in Off Topic saying they felt the same.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 54
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 11:51:47 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

What, just when I've started to fit in around here?

By the way, it's not christmas anymore. ahem.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 55
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 15/1/2009 11:54:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

Yeah I think that could work, it makes sense (and would get more people talking about old and world cinema which I think is A Good Thing) and could be done in Off Topic as well. It all just looks a bit overwhelming when you first sign up, it took me quite a while to throw myself into it and find my feet.

The thing about having all the forums is that it gives Empire its personality - which is that its very vast, and really quite cliquey. I'm sure there are forum members who have as many posts as me who I really rarely see. That seems quite nice when your a part of a couple of the cliques, but when you're new I think it can be a bit disheartning. For a long time I felt a bit of a ghost on the forums, and people have posted in Off Topic saying they felt the same.

But I suppose that is always going to exist to an extent. I was the same when I started on the forum and it takes a while to build up a voice. Those who get attention quickly tend to slightly trollish and burn out. I have posted maybe twice in the Fun and Games section and wouldn't be surpirsed if there are some long term members I havent seen often.

Maybe making Fun and Games a subforum of Off-Topic would help tidy things up. Not sure. I would guess a lot of people have stronger views on it than me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 56
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 12:00:21 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

What's wrong with a bit of change anyway? I'm not saying "do away with all mods!"

I am.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 57
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 12:08:13 AM   
James2183

I like you too, Stewie 

Post #: 58
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 12:10:22 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

I bet it hurt to say that, even in jest.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 59
RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! - 16/1/2009 1:09:06 AM   
Spider

In my experience with Forums I've always found the best way to deal with Post Counts is to leave them displayed, but set it so posts in Off Topic forums don't count. It might not work on here, which is a much bigger forum than a lot of other places, but it does mean that the people who are interested in post counts can't just go into Fun and Games and post shit all day long. To be honest I don't really see the point in the post count anyway. Having a large post count means people can see you've posted a lot and perhaps are seen as a more established member of the forum, but surely posting a lot means your name will get recognised anyway due to the frequency of seeing it. Did that make sense?!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: Review of the EMPIRE Forums - your thoughts welcome! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI