Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 24/11/2012 10:33:08 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

The only British film he's ever made and will ever make is The Following. Which is bad for even a student film.

Come on now, don't be silly. It may not be the best film ever made but I think any student would be proud to have made something like that, especially back in the 90s.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 151
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 24/11/2012 10:39:56 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

The only British film he's ever made and will ever make is The Following. Which is bad for even a student film.

Come on now, don't be silly. It may not be the best film ever made but I think any student would be proud to have made something like that, especially back in the 90s.

This thread boils down to one question and one question only:

Is The Following enough to consider someone one of Britains best directors?

Answer: No.

Thread: End.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 152
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 24/11/2012 10:41:20 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

Answer: No.

And I would agree. I was just saying it's not so bad that a student wouldn't be proud of it.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 153
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 27/11/2012 11:41:59 AM   
ElephantBoy

The Following was his debut film through, as far as debuts go that is pretty damn good, and besides he has gone to better things since so that film was the just the start of that.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 154
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 28/11/2012 3:18:15 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

[]Answer: No.

You do know Following isn't the only film he's made, don't you?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 155
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 28/11/2012 3:22:06 PM   
horribleives

quote:

The only British film he's ever made and will ever make is The Following.

What about The Prestige?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 156
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 28/11/2012 5:42:53 PM   
Woger

I think a lot of the London scenes were filmed in down town LA of all places.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 157
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 28/11/2012 8:20:56 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[]Answer: No.

You do know Following isn't the only film he's made, don't you?

It's the only British film he's made. So my original point stands, is The Following enough to consider someone one of Britains best directors?

Answer: no.

quote:

Post #: 158
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 28/11/2012 8:22:23 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

What about The Prestige?

What about it?

quote:

Post #: 159
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 28/11/2012 9:55:44 PM   
Deviation

I like how you ignore......oh no wait, you're either trolling or really are this stupid. Goodbye.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 160
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 12:24:00 AM   
Powka

Wait... Why does it matter that Nolan's films aren't made in Britain? He's British, that is what matters.

You do realize that eventually every great director from any country will end up making films in the US, right?

Are you saying that Danny Boyle is not "one of Britain's best directors", because he's making films outside of Great Britain?

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 161
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 7:47:20 AM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

Wait... Why does it matter that Nolan's films aren't made in Britain? He's British, that is what matters.

You do realize that eventually every great director from any country will end up making films in the US, right?

Are you saying that Danny Boyle is not "one of Britain's best directors", because he's making films outside of Great Britain?

British-American, actually.

quote:

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 162
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 8:51:45 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

quote:

So Chris Nolan himself is a joint production?

OT: I think he's a damn fine director who's made some of my favourites, so yes.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 163
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 1:15:42 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about The Prestige?

What about it?

By the criteria you yourself applied to the Batman films (specifically the setting and nationality of the characters/creator) The Prestige is as british as The Dark Knight is american.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 164
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 1:38:17 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Predominantly British though. His father is British, he was born in Britain and he was educated in Britain.

So he's British and he's a director which makes him a British director and nothing you say to the contrary has any relevance. Considering you don't have a clue what you're talking about I can't believe we're on page 6 of this topic and you still feel you have something to contribute.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 165
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 1:47:47 PM   
horribleives

Just to clarify:

quote:

'Batman' is an American character and story. It's even set in America. It will always be American regardless of the people involved in the film.

I'm not even gonna bother replacing the words 'Batman' and 'american' for 'The Prestige' and 'british' (for a start it would be grammatically incorrect) but you get the idea.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 166
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 6:13:42 PM   
Deviation

There's also the bit where his company is set IN FUCKING BRITIAN.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 167
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 8:46:10 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Predominantly British though. His father is British, he was born in Britain and he was educated in Britain.

So he's British and he's a director which makes him a British director and nothing you say to the contrary has any relevance. Considering you don't have a clue what you're talking about I can't believe we're on page 6 of this topic and you still feel you have something to contribute.

The mother who's womb he came out of is American and he lives in L.A.

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 168
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 8:48:27 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Is about as relevant as who cuts his hair.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 169
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/11/2012 8:54:49 PM   
vad3r

quote:

All of his films except for Sunshine and 127 Hours are British. Slumdog is British-Indian.

So yes, Danny Boyle and Shane Meadows would be contenders. Because they've made more than one British film. Something which Chris Nolan hasn't.

I should add btw, that I'm a big Nolan fan and don't care about the nationality of his films. My point is only for the purpose of this thread subject.

quote:

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 170
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 12:16:05 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Is about as relevant as who cuts his hair.

No it doesn't, as they are a pretty integral of making the film. It is a British company, set in London. Not American. All his films, or at least almost all, are an American-British production and not just British. Are you an intentional idiot?

Now stop wasting people's time.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/11/2012 12:38:24 AM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 171
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 12:22:32 AM   
Deviation

Oh and....
quote:

All of his films except for Sunshine and 127 Hours are British. Slumdog is British-Indian.

It isn't, it's just British. Dredd was British and Indian (and also American) collab, but no Indian companies were largely involved in the making of Slumdog, being simply set in India makes it as about as Indian as The Kite Runner is simply Afghani.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 172
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 6:28:54 AM   
horribleives

quote:

they've made more than one British film. Something which Chris Nolan hasn't.

By your logic he's made two.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 173
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 7:42:53 AM   
vad3r

quote:

Oh and....
quote:

It isn't, it's just British. Dredd was British and Indian (and also American) collab, but no Indian companies were largely involved in the making of Slumdog, being simply set in India makes it as about as Indian as The Kite Runner is simply Afghani.

Companies have no effect on the nationality of a film!

If Zimbabwe funded Lincoln that wouldn't make it a American-Zimbabwe film.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 174
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 12:46:52 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Oh and....
quote:

Companies have no effect on the nationality of a film!

If Zimbabwe funded Lincoln that wouldn't make it a American-Zimbabwe film.

THEN WHAT DOES YOU FUCKING MORON

France financed A Screaming Man, a film set in Chad and about Chad which was also made with some Chadian money. It's still considered partially French. Are you honestly saying Senna is a Brazilian documentary or The Kite Runner an Afghani film? Cause you're stupid if you say so.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 30/11/2012 2:42:24 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 175
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 3:52:14 PM   
horribleives

I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer - I'm still waiting for him to confirm the nationality of The Prestige.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 176
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 10:12:03 PM   
ElephantBoy

As many have pointed out there are many different factors which say what nationality a film is which is why you have so many co-productions now. The point is Nolan is british and is a bloody good filmmaker who has made a name for himself thats enough for me.

Post #: 177
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/11/2012 10:49:00 PM   
giggity

quote:

I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer - I'm still waiting for him to confirm the nationality of The Prestige.

I don't know why anyone bothers to talk to vad3r anymore. He's established on many occasions that he's a grade-A bellend.

Post #: 178
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 1/12/2012 12:29:44 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

quote:

I don't know why anyone bothers to talk to vad3r anymore. He's established on many occasions that he's a grade-A bellend.

It's a plot hole I just cannot respond to.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 179
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 2/12/2012 9:20:38 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Well his films are kinda crap, so no.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI