Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/8/2012 9:33:06 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Does it even matter if he never makes a British film? No.

What about The Following?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 121
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 9:21:04 PM   
Deviation

Isn't The Dark Knight trilogy/Inception considered a US/UK co-production? Syncopy Films is based in Britian.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 122
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:04:02 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Isn't The Dark Knight trilogy/Inception considered a US/UK co-production? Syncopy Films is based in Britian.

And?

If Saving Private Ryan was made by a UK company that would make it a US/UK film?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 123
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:13:03 PM   
Deviation

Not really, it would be a British film because no USA companies were involved. If companies from both countries were involved in the making or financing of thing, the maybe, it could be considered both US and UK. Ex: Harry Potter.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 124
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:42:39 PM   
vad3r

quote:

Not really, it would be a British film because no USA companies were involved. If companies from both countries were involved in the making or financing of thing, the maybe, it could be considered both US and UK. Ex: Harry Potter.

The film company has no effect on determining the nationality of a film. If Ukraine financed Saving Private Ryan it would still be a US film. It's directed, written, stars and is set in America.
That's more of a factor than who gave the money to finance it.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 125
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:49:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

If Ukraine financed Saving Private Ryan it would still be a US film. It's directed, written, stars and is set in America.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 126
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:53:54 PM   
vad3r

We all make mistakes.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 127
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:58:24 PM   
rawlinson

Your argument falls down itself even more with the rest of your statement. If a nationality of a film is decided by who directs it - Nolan is British, who writes it - Nolan is British, who stars in it - Bale, Hardy, Oldman and Caine are all British, Cotillard is French. So you have Freeman, JGL and Hathaway and setting for America. By the logic you're using it's more British than American.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 128
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 10:59:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

The film company has no effect on determining the nationality of a film. If Ukraine financed Saving Private Ryan it would still be a US film. It's directed, written, stars and is set in America.
That's more of a factor than who gave the money to finance it.

And that's why Shame and We Need to Talk About Kevin are considered US films (fitting some of your definitions from which nation a movie should be considered to be) while Green Street Hooligans and Coppola's Dracula only a British one...oh no wait, they aren't.

You do realize there are a number of UK actors, crew and writers in TDKR right? So even by your definition, it would be a joint UK/USA production.

Also, what do you mean by setting? The Devil's Double has American actors, European financiers and it is set completely in Iraq with a few scenes in Malta.

And, and very few scenes are set in the USA in Saving Private Ryan. Believe or not, that was Europe.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 129
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:02:32 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Your argument falls down itself even more with the rest of your statement. If a nationality of a film is decided by who directs it - Nolan is British, who writes it - Nolan is British, who stars in it - Bale, Hardy, Oldman and Caine are all British, Cotillard is French. So you have Freeman, JGL and Hathaway and setting for America. By the logic you're using it's more British than American.

'Batman' is an American character and story. It's even set in America. It will always be American regardless of the people involved in the film.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 130
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:05:12 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

'Batman' is an American character and story. It's even set in America. It will always be American regardless of the people involved in the film.

So now it's got nothing to do with who directed it, wrote it or stars in it?

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 131
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:12:49 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

I feel like mentioning a certain film but I don't want to offend an ally.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 132
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:14:14 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

The character, creator, setting, accents, crew and actors vs director, writer and actors.

It comes down to which side has more factors.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 133
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:22:34 PM   
Deviation

Which makes TDKR a joint production. Case closed. It's more American surely (especially with those American flags flying around and the stadium scene), but a British element is there to give the UK factor some credit.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 134
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:27:10 PM   
vad3r

quote:

Which makes TDKR a joint production. Case closed. It's more American surely (especially with those American flags flying around and the stadium scene), but a British element is there to give the UK factor some credit.

So is Never Let Me Go a joint production because the director is American?

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 135
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 16/8/2012 11:37:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

So is Never Let Me Go a joint production because the director is American?

But Never Let Me Go is considered a joint project, not only for the director but also because of Fox Searchlight, who had a big hand in releasing and financing it.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 136
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 17/8/2012 11:49:35 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

That's more of a factor than who gave the money to finance
it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

We all make mistakes.

You more than most it seems.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 17/8/2012 12:07:17 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 137
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 17/8/2012 5:08:58 PM   
Woger

What about John Carter of Mars?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Mikaboshi)
Post #: 138
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 17/8/2012 5:24:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Indeed. Also In Bruges, Midnight in Paris and The Italian Job.

Belgian, French and Italian films I take it?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 139
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 17/8/2012 10:33:00 PM   
Deviation

Please, we all know the quintessial Irish film is The Quiet Man.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 140
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/8/2012 1:17:35 AM   
MonsterCat

Saving Private Ryan is set in America?

Welcome to geography for the warped, kids.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 18/8/2012 1:20:32 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 141
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/8/2012 2:07:06 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Saving Private Ryan is set in America?

That's cause America is totally like a Nazi country under gun stealer Obama.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 142
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/8/2012 10:22:42 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

That's cause America is totally like a Nazi country under gun stealer Obama.

oh hai dave mustaine.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 143
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/8/2012 4:37:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Well, duh, obviously that's a Martian film.

I particularly like the biggest grossing Pandoran film of all time.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 144
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/8/2012 5:05:04 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Doesn't it use the same cultural test as the relevant film bodies to determine a film's national status? Or is that too simple/sensible.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 145
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/9/2012 5:07:45 AM   
siegfried

I've always thought that the nationality of a film should be determined by the country in which the studio (or studios) which have financed it and which release it are based. Or is that just too blindingly obvious?

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 146
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 23/11/2012 2:13:44 PM   
dolfinack

Christopher Nolan's films are dark, moody, and hence boring as hell. I'm exaggerating of course, but you get the drift. Where's the fun?

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 147
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 24/11/2012 7:18:02 PM   
siegfried

The thread sems to have veered somewhat off topic, so in terms of the original question, NO. Definitely not.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to dolfinack)
Post #: 148
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 24/11/2012 7:53:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Not yet,but in time if he continues his good work then:Yes.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 24/11/2012 10:03:15 PM >

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 149
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 24/11/2012 10:30:18 PM   
vad3r

The only British film he's ever made and will ever make is The Following. Which is bad for even a student film.

quote:

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI