Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 11:15:58 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikaboshi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

A ninja?

Yeah, why would a guy who fights in the shadows, using stealth to his advantage and is dressed in black have ninja training? That's like a police having gone to police academy, which is just wrong.

Indeed, I really can't understand this gripe he has with the ninjas in Batman Begins.

The ninja training facility just seems rotten to me.............very rotten. It's almost a lazy way out.............

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/1/2009 11:17:47 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Mikaboshi)
Post #: 31
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 2:28:38 PM   
ElephantBoy

I have to say that was the only section of BB than i didn't like about from that i thought it was a flawless comic book epic

The thing is you call pick bad films out from all the Directors mentioned, but it's about the overiding impression they leave and if their true autuers for me Nolan is.

By the way with all the names thrown out there you've all just reinforced the case that Britain has a very strong level of directors.  Lets not forget some of the talented Horror Directors also coming out of these isles like Neil Marshall and Marc Evans.  And how about Edger Wright?  Seems we're not doing too bad after all, it's just no one really talks about us.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 32
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 6:14:23 PM   
no1psh

He's def on the way to becoming one of the greatest without doubt. He's young and could still do so much so great movies so he's on the right road.

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 33
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 7:06:24 PM   
Larry of Arabia

As much as I enjoy Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, the fight scenes I did think were lacking. It didn't really bother me before, but I watched V For Vendetta recently for the first time and V's fight scenes were so much better. Regardless of your thoughts on the rest of the film, there was a clarity to the fighting and a menacing/intimidating air to the character that Batman kinda lacked. I'm thinking specifically of the opening scene when V saves Evey from the policemen. I hope Nolan improves alot in this area were he to attempt more action scenes.  

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 34
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/1/2009 10:27:49 AM   
Wessing

hes pretty dam good, well his movies are anyway, so that will prob mean hes a good director, though i havnt seem ALL of them, ive heard nothing but good things about them, and the ones i have seen are definitely up there amongst my favourites, so hes pretty good. 

I say wait till hes been around longer and directed more movies.  But hes on the way to being one of the best imo

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to Mikaboshi)
Post #: 35
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/1/2009 9:57:31 PM   
ukacidman

His definatly up there with some of the all time best. IMO every movie hes made is top notch.. He is currently my fav director alongside Danny Boyle and David Ficncher

1 Insommia 8/10
2 Mommento 9/10
3 Batman Begins 9/10
4 The Prestige 10/10  ( cannot understand some of the flank this has got) if you have read the book you will understand what I great job he has done bring that story to the screan
5 The Dark Knight 10/10

I cannot wait for more of his movies.

" WAKE UP TIME TO DIE
"
last 5 cinema visits 2013
The Great Gatsby 7/10
Star Trek into darkness - 8/10
Iron Man 3 ( 8/10)
Good Vibrations 8/10
Cloude Atlas 7/10

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 36
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/1/2009 10:45:53 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I'd go for..

Following - not seen
Memento - 9/10
Insomnia - 8/10
Batman Begins - 8/10
The Prestige - 8/10
The Dark Knight - 10/10

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 37
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 19/1/2009 9:08:35 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: ukacidman

4 The Prestige 10/10  ( cannot understand some of the flank this has got) if you have read the book you will understand what I great job he has done bring that story to the screan

I have, he hasn't. Part of it isn't his fault though - once you see the characters one of the twists is obvious from the get go, leaving an advantage for the book.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 38
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 19/1/2009 10:54:10 AM   
Workshed

Definitely. All of his films IMO are at least solid 4 star movies. If Tarantino could be heralded as a genius after Dogs, Pulp and Brown and Singer after only Suspects, then why not?

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 39
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 19/1/2009 2:44:47 PM   
ElephantBoy

Well said!

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 40
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 20/1/2009 5:45:51 PM   
satan_claws

I'm suprised by the lack of love for The Prestige, possibly his best work in my opinion.

The Following - Not Seen
Memento - 7/10
Insomnia - 5/10
Batman Begins - 5/10
The Prestige - 7/10
The Dark Knight - 6/10

Paul W.S. Anderson made Event Horizon and for that he I will always give him the benefit of the doubt, oh and the Resident Evil films as well! Maybe he is better then Nolan and maybe not but Nolan is trying hard to make serious films, Anderson is making fun films so the comparison is unfair I think.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 41
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 20/1/2009 6:32:18 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: satan_claws

I'm suprised by the lack of love for The Prestige, possibly his best work in my opinion.

The Following - Not Seen
Memento - 7/10
Insomnia - 5/10
Batman Begins - 5/10
The Prestige - 7/10
The Dark Knight - 6/10

Paul W.S. Anderson made Event Horizon and for that he I will always give him the benefit of the doubt, oh and the Resident Evil films as well! Maybe he is better then Nolan and maybe not but Nolan is trying hard to make serious films, Anderson is making fun films so the comparison is unfair I think.

No anyone who makes AvP doesn't deserve the benifit of the doubt he made that film with serious intentions so don't give us this 'he was making fun films' cobblers as all his films have a serious tone the only reason why they considered fun by people is because they are literally that shit and cant help being laughed at ...he is garbage and not even in the shadow ever evolving and talented Nolan. But he has a long way to go to consider himself being the best.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to satan_claws)
Post #: 42
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 20/1/2009 8:30:54 PM   
satan_claws

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

No anyone who makes AvP doesn't deserve the benifit of the doubt he made that film with serious intentions so don't give us this 'he was making fun films' cobblers as all his films have a serious tone the only reason why they considered fun by people is because they are literally that shit and cant help being laughed at ...he is garbage and not even in the shadow ever evolving and talented Nolan. But he has a long way to go to consider himself being the best.

I think you have misconstrued the word "fun" with "funny" I didn't say Andersons films are funny and to be laughed at, I said fun, like Death Race for example, that was sheer fun, Resident Evil is a fun film to watch, hell even AvP isn't as bad as everyone makes out and is quite fun to watch.
Event Horizon on the other hand is a masterpeice and quite possible one of the most atmospheric and frightning horror movies in of the 90's.

I think the reason people dislike him so much is that he makes sci-fi movies for people who don't like sci-fi movies, I know many sci-fi fans who dismiss EH as it doesn't go into details as to how the ship could go where it does, but as a horror fan the how it happened doesn't matter, it did just roll with it.

The impression I get from Anderson is that he is in on the fun side of his movies, did anyone honestly think "ah Death Race that sounds like a serious look at how the prison system could well escalate into a media endorsed murder fest, I love political movies this ones for me!" No of course they didn't, they thought Death Race, cars and death, sounds like fun, which I am sure was Andersons reaction when he was offered to remake it.

Nolan on the other hand takes everything waaaaay too seriously, especially considering he is make movies about a man who dresses as a giant bat, now that is a premise that should be fun!

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 43
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 20/1/2009 8:35:06 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Nolan on the other hand takes everything waaaaay too seriously, especially considering he is make movies about a man who dresses as a giant bat, now that is a premise that should be fun!

Depends how you are looking at the Batman myth. He decided that he'd look at Batman in a world we can relate to...looking at why Bruce Wayne decided to become Batman...The fun versions have been done many a time before.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

Post #: 44
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 20/1/2009 8:59:47 PM   
richCie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

I think you have misconstrued the word "fun" with "funny" I didn't say Andersons films are funny and to be laughed at, I said fun, like Death Race for example, that was sheer fun, Resident Evil is a fun film to watch, hell even AvP isn't as bad as everyone makes out and is quite fun to watch.
Event Horizon on the other hand is a masterpeice and quite possible one of the most atmospheric and frightning horror movies in of the 90's.

I think the reason people dislike him so much is that he makes sci-fi movies for people who don't like sci-fi movies, I know many sci-fi fans who dismiss EH as it doesn't go into details as to how the ship could go where it does, but as a horror fan the how it happened doesn't matter, it did just roll with it.

The impression I get from Anderson is that he is in on the fun side of his movies, did anyone honestly think "ah Death Race that sounds like a serious look at how the prison system could well escalate into a media endorsed murder fest, I love political movies this ones for me!" No of course they didn't, they thought Death Race, cars and death, sounds like fun, which I am sure was Andersons reaction when he was offered to remake it.

no AVP really is that bad. i really dont know why i even watched it...
Nolan is more talented for sure.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 45
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 20/1/2009 10:11:22 PM   
Wessing

prestige=awesome.   so good

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 46
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 21/1/2009 12:17:02 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

*sigh* This is such a tired and repetitive argument that could translate critically to other directors, what exactly do you mean by taking things too seriously ? Due to the subject matter of Nolan's films, most of them involving deception and murder, what do you expect ? A one-liner or bad wisecrack every scene ? Anderson doesn't have an iota of the talent that Nolan does, although admittedly I have never seen his supposed "magnum opus" Event Horizon. Furthermore, as inevitably as the discussion will turn, Nolan has cited that he used a specific source for the Dark Knight, that having read it myself is not supposed to be twee or trvial like the unmentionables of Joel Schumacher, and was supposed to be a genuine interpretation.

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 21/1/2009 2:05:29 AM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 47
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 21/1/2009 12:56:38 AM   
ElephantBoy

Yes i never thought i would see them mentioned in the same sentance and am quite frankly shocked at the compearsion

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 48
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 21/1/2009 1:05:42 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

quote:

*sigh* This is such a tired and repetitive argument that could translate critically to other directors, what exactly do you mean by taking things too seriously ? Due to the subject matter of Nolan's films, most of them involving deception and murder, what do you expect ? A one-liner or bad wisecrack every scene ? Anderson doesn't have an iota of the talent that Nolan does, although admittedly I have never seen his supposed "opus magnum" Event Horizon. Furthermore, as inevitably as the discussion will turn, Nolan has cited that he used a specific source for the Dark Knight, that having read it myself is not supposed to be twee or trvial like the unmentionables of Joel Schumacher, and was supposed to be a genuine interpretation.

TDK was still also more fun than anything WS Anderson has made. My problem from Nolan comes from putting Batman in such a realistic context  that he is also ready to butcher up the action sequences for this bloody realism, and completely contradict the realism by putting Batman and villians with stories as silly as those in Burton, and taking them seriously.  Joker and Two-Face weren't very realistic either, but at least they felt plausible.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 49
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 21/1/2009 12:33:46 PM   
satan_claws

Personally I feel that Batman is not a character that warrants such a serious version as TDK turned out to be, I would have loved it if Nolan had been given the Punisher for example, imagine his noir take on Frank Castle's story, he would have fitted into Nolans world far better then characters who dress up as giant animals.

I'm not saying BB and TDK are bad films, just that Burton did so much better with the characters that it seems a shame to see the franchise be revived only to be worse then is was 20 years ago.

Thats very nice that Nolan is basing his Batman world on source material but that doesn't make the film any better or worse for me, there are a lot of bad films that when they stick too close to the source material they turn out far worse then those that interpret it there own way (take Stephen King for example, writes brilliant books which when someone tries to put them on the screen sticking close to the book they turn out awful( eg Dreamcatchers), but when a decent director/screenwriter gets hold of them and uses some of his own ideas they work wonders (eg Kubrick's Shining).

Give Nolan more material that works in his noir style (like Memento and Prestige) and he works wonders, if he wants to make comic book adaptations I'd prefer he stick with those with characters more grounded in reality like the Punisher and let the Burtons of the world take the costumed heroes as he did a much better job with a lot less technology.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 50
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 21/1/2009 1:42:20 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

I'm not saying BB and TDK are bad films, just that Burton did so much better with the characters that it seems a shame to see the franchise be revived only to be worse then is was 20 years ago.

Your opinion, alot of people liked Nolan's take on Batman, it was different and to a certain point more realistic. Plus Batman does'nt go about killing people willy-nilly.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

Post #: 51
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 21/1/2009 7:15:15 PM   
satan_claws

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

quote:

Your opinion, alot of people liked Nolan's take on Batman, it was different and to a certain point more realistic. Plus Batman does'nt go about killing people willy-nilly.

Totally agree, it's just my opinion and nothing else, but would be rather pointless having a forum that asked questions like: Is Nolan the best British director? If it was fact that he was or wasn't. The thread topic by it's very nature is asking for opinions so whilst mine may not be a popular one I just wanted to get it across.

I fancy re-watching the Prestige now..........

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 52
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/1/2009 5:06:12 PM   
zombieman

i think that chris had the weakest voice of all the nolans

Post #: 53
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/1/2009 6:08:53 PM   
southend_styler

Which one is on Loose Women? I'd stuff one right up 'er!!!

(in reply to zombieman)
Post #: 54
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 29/1/2009 6:44:15 PM   
Workshed

How did Paul W(ank) S(tain) Anderson't name det brought into this??

Event Horizon was a great premise riuned by mediocre direction.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 55
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 30/1/2009 9:50:15 AM   
benny the jet

I always wondered what the WS stood for. cheers for clearing that up

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 56
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 4/2/2009 10:40:31 PM   
Dr Lenera

One of Britain's best directors? Well,there ain't much competation at the moment,but I doubt it.  I consider Nolan one of the most overrated directors around especially with the ridiculous of praise for the tedious The Dark Knight. Mind you there are two Nolans.
Nolan-director of Batman films-poor and insanely overpraised,Schumacher was better!
Nolan-director of The Prestige [his best film imo]etc.-quite good

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 57
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 4/2/2009 11:45:43 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

One of Britain's best directors? Well,there ain't much competation at the moment,but I doubt it.  I consider Nolan one of the most overrated directors around especially with the ridiculous of praise for the tedious The Dark Knight. Mind you there are two Nolans.
Nolan-director of Batman films-poor and insanely overpraised,Schumacher was better!
Nolan-director of The Prestige [his best film imo]etc.-quite good

There is no way that makes sense no matter how anti-Nolan anyone is. Schumacher's films are abysmal.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 58
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 8/3/2009 2:30:00 AM   
thebiggerboat

No not yet. He needs a few more films under his belt to even start to be considered.

I'd  say a more exciting prospect is Steve McQueen who directed Hunger. That film was OMG good, truly talented direction.

-
www.kristhescript.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KrisTheScript

Please sponsor my latest walk for Leukaemia Research in 2010
http://original.justgiving.com/krisgriffin

Post #: 59
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 18/3/2009 11:59:07 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Surely Paul Greengrass deserves a mention ? The guy got an oscar nomination for United 93 and Should have won in my opinion.

On the quality of his last three films i would say he's up there with Nolan.

(in reply to thebiggerboat)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI