Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians ... - 14/1/2009 9:25:21 AM   
ScottiE

Chris Nolan.
Yes he has only been in the Movie making bussiness for a short period of time
however his CV of movies is outstanding.
not one bad yet, all have been outstanding  IMO.

can he be comsidered one of if not the best modern movie directer.?
your opions please

< Message edited by ScottiE -- 14/1/2009 9:26:31 AM >

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "
Post #: 1
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 9:30:47 AM   
Rumbaabaa

Yes.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 2
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 9:43:10 AM   
richCie

there isnt a huge amount of competition, but i'd easily say he's over-rated. Batman Begins, TDK arent all that especially in terms of direction. Memento is brilliant, and Insomnia has some great moments. Prestige was let down by a poor story and some dodgy acting.

but he's still not that brilliant. but then like i said there's little competition. so yeh i suppose he is.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 3
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 10:02:40 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

No.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 4
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 10:14:55 AM   
elab49

There is a lot of competition. Of his work he has made 2 excellent films - Memento and Insomnia. One however is a foreign remake. It isn't really enough for the hagiography as yet. But Memento means you are always hopeful his next work will be as good so he has plenty of time yet to stop making hodgepdoges of interesting mistakes.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 5
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 10:24:30 AM   
MOTH

The Prestige was a mess of a film and he still struggles to direct action sequences. He does seem an intelligent bloke though, so hopefully he'll keep making interesting choices for his films

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 10:43:36 AM   
jon5000

He's a superb filmmaker, no question. And its fantastic that he's British. Although, he's also apparently half American.

In my opinion his best film is Insomnia. Even though it was essentially a remake, it still has enough of a unique stamp on it - its more like a 40s noir set in the daylight. Following was such an interesting debut, and Memento is probably his most original film - he really did bring something different with Memento.

The only thing preventing him from being considered truly great, in my opinion, is the fact that we haven't seen him really leave the noir genre. Don't get me wrong, he's brilliant at what he does - but I'd love to see him tackle something a little more lighthearted.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 7
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 11:27:39 AM   
Scabby

I would say the problem with Nolan is that he doesn't seem to inject any flair into his work. Sure, all his films are fantastic and well made but he just lacks something special in his direction to make him really stand-out. I suppose though, at the moment his films being excellent will have to do 

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 8
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 11:53:37 AM   
Deviation

He's not half as good as Danny Boyle, who isn't as good as Hitchcock.

To be honest, I find Mememto and Insomnia to be the only films he made to be worth a mention. Mememto has a decent script made to look great thanks to the approach taken to it. Insomnia is one of those few remakes that improve on the original.

His other films though.....

The Prestige has an awful third act, ridicolous at best.
Batman Begins was a dull bore. A ridicolous plot taken way to seriously to an extent that he ruined the action sequences to promote the realism. The film ended up just pretentious.
The Dark Knight had some script problems, but it was a good enough film, and unlike its predecessor, it was actually fun.
Following is good, a tad amatuerish but well made and does have an unexpected twist at the end.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 9
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 12:08:13 PM   
krudler

Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

He hasnt made a bad movie yet, compared to the output of other British directors, Neil Marshall has made 1 good movie and 2 average ones, and Paul WS Anderson has made no good movies and Danny Boyle has made a mixed bag of stuff

As for saying he cant direct action sequences? watch the truck chase from TDK its fantastic, take note Michael Bay action scenes are better when you can actually see whats going on

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 12:19:50 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

He hasnt made a bad movie yet, compared to the output of other British directors, Neil Marshall has made 1 good movie and 2 average ones, and Paul WS Anderson has made no good movies and Danny Boyle has made a mixed bag of stuff

As for saying he cant direct action sequences? watch the truck chase from TDK its fantastic, take note Michael Bay action scenes are better when you can actually see whats going on

It depends, the action scenes in Batman Begins are terrible. The one in The Dark Knight are great.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 11
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 12:39:18 PM   
ElephantBoy

Arn't we all forgetton his debut the Following which was a brillent slick and nasty satire.  Slight as it maybe he then followed it up with the wonderful mind twister Memento which i consider one of this decades very best, and Insonma which was also a nice charcter driven thriller with a real intensety and Al's best performance in years.  As you all know i'm a big fan of what he's doing with the Batman Films and can't wait for number 3.  The Pristege was his only patchy film so far.  So it's a yes for me also!

Memento 9/10
Batman Begins 9/10
The Dark Knight 8/10
Insonma 8/10
The Following 8/10
The Preistge 6/10

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 12
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 12:39:49 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

That is quite a limited genre based list of current British directors though, isn't it. Hardly the group Nolan aspires to be in.

quote:

the action scenes in Batman Begins are terrible.

Absolutely agree.

quote:

The one in The Dark Knight are great

All improved but some do get boringly wrong. The best, for me, is the skill seen in the heist at the start. After that I already felt it was a dramatic improvement on Batman Begins.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 13
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 12:44:33 PM   
ElephantBoy

Would have to disagree with that, for me Begins is the best Batman film yet just edgeing out Returns.  As much as i love the Dark Knight and think it's a more important film in what it says about our world, the narritive wasn't as tight and there were flaws.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 5:47:11 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Well obviously Boyle isn't any where near Hitchcock, and Nolan isn't half as good as Boyle because he's better, in my opinion. If we're going to draw the comparison between these two then, I think they are totally different directors; Boyle is more inventive technically, but Nolan has a brilliant command of story and narrative realisation that I find more intriguing. TBH there isn't much competition so he is one of Britain's best directors I would say, in address to the thread title.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 15
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 5:50:32 PM   
Chris66

I would say he is my second favourite British director after Ridley Scott. 

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 16
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 6:24:51 PM   
richCie

taking it to mean living directors, what competition is there?
Danny Boyle has been mentioned, Shane Meadows should as well, but i struggle to think of much past that. i don't often pay particular fuss to the nationality of a director so perhaps i'm overlooking some.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 17
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 6:49:21 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Nolan is a fantastic film-maker. I haven't seen Following yet, but I love all of his other films, with the favorite spot being shared between The Dark Knight and Memento. As for not being able to direct action scenes? Give me a break!

I'd rate his films like this:

Memento - 10
Insomnia - 9
The Prestige - 10
Batman Begins - 8
The Dark Knight - 10

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 18
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 6:52:03 PM   
elab49

Like Terence Davies, Ken Loach, Mike Leigh, Michael Winterbottom, Stephen Frears,  etc etc?

quote:

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 19
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:00:44 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Is this a case of someone typing faster than you, elab, making you look like you haven't even read the post above you?

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 14/1/2009 7:01:00 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:03:48 PM   
elab49

richCie knows who I was talking to.

quote:

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 21
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:05:13 PM   
Dantes Inferno

I was beginning to wonder if you were answering me and was arguing that Mike Leigh was one of the best actions directors in Britain, which didn't ring true.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:27:11 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Nolan is a fantastic film-maker. I haven't seen Following yet, but I love all of his other films, with the favorite spot being shared between The Dark Knight and Memento. As for not being able to direct action scenes? Give me a break!

Yep, totally agree (though Memento is still number one for me), the ones in Batman Begins are perfectly fine, bar the close up shakeycam fight scenes where you can barely make out what's going on. Does a director need to direct action anyway? Isn't that what the likes of Vic Armstrong are for?

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 14/1/2009 7:30:21 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:41:05 PM   
Scabby

Nolan is very hands on and directs every single shot himself and doesn't use a 2nd unit. Therefore the action is directed by him, which is rare for someone to do that. 

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 24
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:41:36 PM   
richCie

quote:

Like Terence Davies, Ken Loach, Mike Leigh, Michael Winterbottom, Stephen Frears,  etc etc?

aint seen any of their films, and mike leigh in particular i have no interest in doing so.

and i dont like ken loach very much.

NEXT :P

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 7:48:04 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Yep, totally agree (though Memento is still number one for me), the ones in Batman Begins are perfectly fine, bar the close up shakeycam fight scenes where you can barely make out what's going on. Does a director need to direct action anyway? Isn't that what the likes of Vic Armstrong are for?

I hear this criticism a lot, but I don't understand it. Nolan did this with intention to give us a feeling of how the criminals feels. After all, one of the skills of Batman is manipulating darkness and confusion to his advantage.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 26
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 14/1/2009 9:04:47 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

I hear this criticism a lot, but I don't understand it. Nolan did this with intention to give us a feeling of how the criminals feels. After all, one of the skills of Batman is manipulating darkness and confusion to his advantage.

A bit sick?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 27
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 2:28:31 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

quote:

Well obviously Boyle isn't any where near Hitchcock, and Nolan isn't half as good as Boyle because he's better, in my opinion. If we're going to draw the comparison between these two then, I think they are totally different directors; Boyle is more inventive technically, but Nolan has a brilliant command of story and narrative realisation that I find more intriguing. TBH there isn't much competition so he is one of Britain's best directors I would say, in address to the thread title.

True, but I also think Boyle can carry a plot better than Nolan since, I found The Prestige and Batman Begins to be quite awful, and worse than anything Boyle has done, bar out A Life Less Ordinary which I still haven't seen. But still, you are right, two very different directors. There are very good directors in Britian, just don't get much attention. It took me to start buying Sight and Sound to discover a director called Terence Davies exists, the only Ken Loach I've seen is his latest one, never seen a Winterbottom or a Frears, but they are also very rarely mentioned. The only one who gets a decent publicity or coverage around is Shane Meadows.

quote:

And took away any excitement from them, and made a Batman film boring, something not even Shoemacker's films were. It didn't work, it was poorly made, it was just unnessecary confusing crap that thankfully was ditched for the sequel. And wasn't the film supposed to be about Batman to an extent that it shot itself further in the foot by giving the film a poor villian( A ninja? What happened to hyper-realism? Why is he irish? And he used to be Batman's mentor who was thought to be dead but was actually alive and was quite lunatic? Is this some poor anime, a wushu flick or a Cartoon Network show taking itself too seriously? Who thought of this plot? Did anyone think this is material to be taken seriously?) and an underused one? Why suddenly focus on the criminals or how they feel? Why not just focus on Batman and give us a coherent view of this skill of his?

I think Batman Begins would have beeen just better if it focused much more on Scarecrow and the eerily familiar gas plot, it would have made it more ineteresting.

quote:

All improved but some do get boringly wrong. The best, for me, is the skill seen in the heist at the start. After that I already felt it was a dramatic improvement on Batman Begins.

I loved them, for the exception of the final two which were good enough but disappointing as final showdowns.

I thought the heist was brillaint, confuses you with the events going on and didn't let go. The car chase in the middle is propably my favourite. If not only for the build up. The deserted streets, the blown up tanker, building everything up nicely, the closed chase in the tunnel, the destruction of the helicopter, the kinda-duel between Joker and Batman, it was great fun. And most importanly that monstrousity of a Tumbler goes destroyed. YAY!!!

Does the final duel between Pacino and Robbins in Insomnia count as an action sequence? That was fantastic.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 28
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 6:48:20 AM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

A ninja?

Yeah, why would a guy who fights in the shadows, using stealth to his advantage and is dressed in black have ninja training? That's like a police having gone to police academy, which is just wrong.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 29
RE: Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Briti... - 15/1/2009 9:06:05 AM   
Mikaboshi

quote:

quote:

A ninja?

Yeah, why would a guy who fights in the shadows, using stealth to his advantage and is dressed in black have ninja training? That's like a police having gone to police academy, which is just wrong.

Indeed, I really can't understand this gripe he has with the ninjas in Batman Begins.

Movies recently watched:

Solaris (Tarkovsky) - 7.5/10
JCVD - 8/10
Ghost World - 8/10
Gran Torino - 7.5/10
The Bride with White Hair - 8/10

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Chris Nolan. can he be considerded as one of Britians best dircters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI