Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 2:44:27 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I'm @sihool

I havent started tweeting yet, because to be honest, I cant think of anything useful to broadcast to the world

To begin with its best to use it conversationally anyway (in fact, you can possibly lose "To begin with" from that anyway) Follow some cool people and strike up conversation.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 511
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 2:48:41 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

I'm @sihool

I havent started tweeting yet, because to be honest, I cant think of anything useful to broadcast to the world

To begin with its best to use it conversationally anyway (in fact, you can possibly lose "To begin with" from that anyway) Follow some cool people and strike up conversation.

Good idea, cheers.

Is that like a drect message or something? dont they have to follow me to see my message?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 512
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 2:52:06 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

I'm @sihool

That hasn't stopped anyone else

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 513
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 2:54:10 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm @sihool

Good idea, cheers.

Is that like a drect message or something? dont they have to follow me to see my message?

Nah, if you just do your tweet @username it will show up in their timeline (and anyone who follows both of you) whether they follow you or not. If you do want to DM so noone else can see you do need people them to follow you though, yeah.

On that point - do people use DMs much? Grace Dent talks about it as the secret world of twitter in her book, but the only person who really ever DMs me is Swords. I feel I might be missing out.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 514
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 2:55:39 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

I'm @sihool

That hasn't stopped anyone else

I just quote or reply to famous people hoping they tweet back. They never do, I'm very sad.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 515
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 2:57:13 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm @sihool

Good idea, cheers.

Nah, if you just do your tweet @username it will show up in their timeline (and anyone who follows both of you) whether they follow you or not. If you do want to DM so noone else can see you do need people them to follow you though, yeah.

On that point - do people use DMs much? Grace Dent talks about it as the secret world of twitter in her book, but the only person who really ever DMs me is Swords. I feel I might be missing out.

Got ya. Kind of like having a conversation but sending it to everyone who follows both parties.
A bit like people airing their crap on here then.

Edit: So if you dont check your timeline regularly there is a strong chance you could miss the conversation though or do you get sent some kind of notification?

< Message edited by shool -- 10/2/2012 2:59:30 PM >

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 516
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:00:30 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm @sihool

Good idea, cheers.

Only when a mate wants to share a pic with me that she doesn't want to share with the world (eg she tweeted about her hair colour and then sent me a pic via DM)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 517
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:05:39 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm @sihool

Good idea, cheers.

Got ya. Kind of like having a conversation but sending it to everyone who follows both parties.

Edit: So if you dont check your timeline regularly there is a strong chance you could miss the conversation though or do you get sent some kind of notification?

Exactly. It often means if say, Homer and Adam are arguing about something, various other people can jump in.

Next to your timeline on the twitter page, there is a tab for mentions, if you click that you can check you've not missed any conversation that was aimed in your direction Not wanting to complicate it but If you use a twitter app, then you can get it to come up in the corner of the screen or make an annoying noise to let you know someone has said something to you

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 518
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:07:21 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm @sihool

Good idea, cheers.

Exactly. It often means if say, Homer and Adam are arguing about something, various other people can jump in.

Next to your timeline on the twitter page, there is a tab for mentions, if you click that you can check you've not missed any conversation that was aimed in your direction Not wanting to complicate it but If you use a twitter app, then you can get it to come up in the corner of the screen or make an annoying noise to let you know someone has said something to you

Cool, will have a play.

Thanks for the messages Hood and Hobbs.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 519
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:08:41 PM   
Hood_Man

Shool, I know we all said you could tweet anything you wanted, but couldn't your first tweet have been something slightly more interesting?

And hellooooo!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 520
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:10:46 PM   
shool

quote:

Shool, I know we all said you could tweet anything you wanted, but couldn't your first tweet have been something slightly more interesting?

And hellooooo!

I did that on purpose.

Well we did say mix work and play. I was reading that blog whilst talking about twitter so sharing it seemed the natural thing to do.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 521
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:13:29 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

That was my first thought!!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 522
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:18:51 PM   
Stillwater

I think generally most people end up following more people than they themselves follow.

Though I do occasionally go through my follows and clean out people that I either am no longer interested in following or tweet 600 million times day. I have one that I use for work purposes, sometimes I follow people in the hope they will engage with what I put on the twitter and then link on to the website, sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't. If they don't follow back and they don't say anything on twitter that I find particularly interesting or informative then I would unfollow them, because otherwise I am just cluttering up my own feed for no real reason. I'm not strategic in this clear out, just sometimes it can be overwhelming to keep track and I have a de-clutter.

I read this thread purely to see Homer use the word 'behoove'

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 523
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:19:45 PM   
Rhubarb

unfortunately he likes the word and uses it in real life as well.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 524
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:22:15 PM   
Stillwater

quote:

unfortunately he likes the word and uses it in real life as well.

I'm ok with that, vocabulary is becoming too simplified dammit! At work the other day I was told I couldn't use the word 'regarding' because people might not know what I meant, I had to use 'about' instead.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 525
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:22:21 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
1. Because you're interested in what they have to say, and can get over the fact that they don't find you interesting enough to follow back.

Absolutely.

I am following 95 people/groups (I'm picky ) and have 41 followers. Certainly wouldn't expect some of the ones I am following to follow me, it's just for my information

But is your Twitter account for personal or professional purposes?

To be honest, the best accounts on twitter are the ones that mix both - they are irreverent and talk about every day, and then link you to stuff of theirs that you might be interested in as well.

Like mine!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 526
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:25:45 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Hey, I never argue with Homer! Swords on the other hand....

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 527
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:29:34 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

That's true actually, would have been a better example.

quote:

Like mine!

Awkward.....

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 10/2/2012 3:30:05 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 528
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:32:28 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like mine!

I know of situations where people have actually unfollowed either swords or I for the night, such is the extent to how far our legendary arguments about God go.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 529
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:36:45 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like mine!

I know of situations where people have actually unfollowed either swords or I for the night, such is the extent to how far our legendary arguments about God go.

I'm glad I'm following you both then.

Post #: 530
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:40:38 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: school

To be fair we haven't had one for a while. Actually, seeing as you're new we might put one on this weekend as a welcome!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 531
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:42:50 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: school

To be fair we haven't had one for a while. Actually, seeing as you're new we might put one on this weekend as a welcome!

Post #: 532
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:43:51 PM   
shool

Got my first Spam already.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 533
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 3:45:02 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

I said i was followed by however many people earlier, probably 15% of those are spam/porn bots

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 534
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 4:00:41 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I said i was followed by however many people earlier, probably 15% of those are spam/porn bots

They're rife at the moment, there never used to be any really, but the last 3 weeks or so have been crazy. What upsets me most is the lack of originality amongst them; some of the porn-bots even use the same photographs. Terrible.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 535
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 4:03:40 PM   
adambatman82

My favourite current spammer is Caroll from "Hard-cock fucked hard".info. She tweeted this earlier -

"The first and foremost thing first is Respect the death, respect her son and her family, and expose the Doctor thereafter".

I've been trying to figure it out for a while now.

Post #: 536
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 4:11:40 PM   
rick_7

quote:

My favourite current spammer is Caroll from "Hard-cock fucked hard".info. She tweeted this earlier -

"The first and foremost thing first is Respect the death, respect her son and her family, and expose the Doctor thereafter".

I've been trying to figure it out for a while now.

Is it a Doctor Who thing, a bit like "save the cheerleader" from Heroes? Expose the Doctor, save the world. Either that or she's actually trying to uncover a scandal to do with medical negligence. Perhaps just tweet her and ask.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 537
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 4:19:37 PM   
rick_7

I've just followed a few people. If I haven't followed you, it's because I:

a) Don't know who you are.
b) Don't know what your @thingy is.
c) Clicked the wrong thing.

If you follow me, I can only apologise that quite a lot of my tweets are about Harrogate. I should really have a separate work account, but I don't.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 10/2/2012 4:20:25 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 538
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 4:20:44 PM   
Drew_231

I pretty much end up following everyone on Empire
So you know, dont be suprised if someone with my name starts following you

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 539
RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! - 10/2/2012 4:55:11 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I've just followed a few people. If I haven't followed you, it's because I:

a) Don't know who you are.
b) Don't know what your @thingy is.
c) Clicked the wrong thing.

If you follow me, I can only apologise that quite a lot of my tweets are about Harrogate. I should really have a separate work account, but I don't.

I don't know much about Harrogate, but maybe I will learn.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Twitter - All the cool kids are doing it! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI