Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Three Investigators Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Three Investigators Series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Three Investigators Series - 7/1/2009 6:03:03 PM   
Timon

A childhood favorite. Think The Famous Five sponsored by Alfred Hitchcock. This series of books wasmy favorite growing up and revolved around three young boys who solved mysteries. It was a bit Scooby Doo but for a young boy, fantastic stuff.

http://www.threeinvestigatorsbooks.com/

There was also a later series 'Crimebusters' where the 3 boys Jupiter Jones, Pete Creshaw and Bob Andrews were teenagers.

Anyway, for some reason I was thinking about this series of books on the way home and I used to have the whole collection though I think my mother has since disposed of them. Googling the series, I found out that a TV movie has been made!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGc2JZXtKaE

So did anyone else read these growing up? Can't be just me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 7/1/2009 6:19:28 PM   
elab49

Of the 3 options - Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and this, this was always my favourite. But the other 2 always seemed more popular which was odd - who else had such a great junkyard!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 1:31:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Last year, I uncovered a big boxful of these books. They'd been in the loft for years. Used to love them, although I always preferred The Hardy Boys.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 2:03:24 AM   
rawlinson

I used to love these books when I was a kid. I found copies of radio dramas based on the first two books last year, despite a few moments of unintentional comedy they were a great listen.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 9:11:51 AM   
MOTH

ah - many a happy hour spent reading these. Some of them were actually a bit scary in parts if i remember rightly and my local library was plagued by me trying to get hold of some of the hard-to-get issues. Actually, these books were the first time I'd ever heard of Alfred Hitchcock, long before I seen any of his films.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 10:55:57 AM   
Timon

Same here. I was introduced to Hitchcock via these books! Plus I too thought they were better than The Hardy Boys, Famous Five and like.

Did any of you ever read the 3 Investigators: Crimebusters when they were 19 and drove cars, knew martial arts and chased women?

Also, what did you think of that movie trailer?!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 6
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 3:22:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Love these books still! Great little reads, a lot of fun. Didn't know about the tv movie though or even the series of books with the lads a little older.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 4:45:37 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Love these books still! Great little reads, a lot of fun. Didn't know about the tv movie though or even the series of books with the lads a little older.

I had a whole bunch of these.... Christ, I wish I knew where they were. I have the sneeking suspicion my mum gave them all away, which looking online at how much some of them are worth... is annoying.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 8
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 8/1/2009 5:07:06 PM   
elab49

Was it Armada who released the paperbacks over here? I used to be allowed to get them at the shop near my grandparents. Only about 1.25 each. The good old days! I still have some somewhere, too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 9/1/2009 9:07:33 AM   
MOTH

aye, it was Armada alright - I remember buying some new for 75p. still got a pile of them in my parents attic. don't like the sound of the crimebusters spinout though, or the movie. Some things are best left alone....

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 9/1/2009 11:23:52 AM   
Timon

The Crimebuster series were done when I was a kid (1992), I remember finding them in my local bookshop for 2.99 each and after reading the entire 'old school' collection, it was like the greatest find ever.

I would have loved to have seen a film as a kid... not too sure about now though.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 11
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 7/4/2009 4:18:18 PM   
Timon

Scrap what I said above, inspired by Helen's blog on Childhood Books turning in to Films, I'm curious to see The Three Investigators film... even if it will be crap! I'm curious.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 22/5/2009 1:54:50 PM   
elab49

If you have Sky, the modern film take is on Sky Premier from tomorrow. I'm certainly going to give it a look.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 10/6/2009 5:17:35 PM   
Timon

And how was it?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 10/6/2009 6:09:44 PM   
elab49

Techno sub Spy Kids kids film which they seemed to have shifted location in so I didn't even get to see the junk yard. My nephew might like it - but I'd rather he read the books.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: The Three Investigators Series - 2/7/2009 10:32:44 AM   
lordoftheworld

I loved the series...I collected them and read each book atleast three times.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Three Investigators Series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI