Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 21/8/2009 10:23:31 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

Ive decided to give the game another go and especially the challenge. i decided on afc wimbledon in the southern conference. i managed to win the league in my first season mainly thanks to arsenal my feeder team sending me a awesome 19 year old polish lad in goal.
now in the conference mid-table side managed to get loads of kids that were released from premiership sides and arsenal have sent me 3 decent youngsters as well including my fav polish lad!

If anyone's interested i managed to get afc wimbledon to the premiership within 7 seasons!! unreal i won the conference in my 2nd season then it was promotion 2 season's in a row winning both div 1 and 2 then 2nd season in championship won the play-offs. this was all done on free tranfers from the top 4 side's. Survived my first premiership season in a ground holding just 7000 and have now moved to a 20,000 seater stadium. Next stop europe which is alot harder then anything else so far.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 211
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 24/12/2009 11:03:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

And now I'm back on CM2006 again, with a whole new Mansfield Town team in League Two and a slightly bastardised version of Rupert303's tactics from page 3 driving my team. And while we've only played two friendlies, the results were a 2-0 win against Derby and a 1-1 draw against Bolton.

Fuckin' aye, taking down the Championship/Premier League giants.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 212
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 27/12/2009 10:47:35 PM   
CORLEONE

Won the Champions League with Palermo in my 6th season. But we finished 5th in the league and the board are unhappy

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 27/12/2009 10:48:03 PM >

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 213
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 5/2/2010 1:23:23 AM   
Olaf

*BUMP*

bumping this thread cos of how much fun it was last time round, and also to draw your attention to this: http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.285?PHPSESSID=febd9c48ce447a6b5ad2ca251a204f17 Champ Man 01/02 as a free, legal download, as well as updates to bring it up to 2010. I'm currently playing as Leeds in the Second Division, hovering just outside automatic promotion. One tip is get a scout scouting Scandinavia - you'll always find a hidden gem there.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 214
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 5/2/2010 9:17:46 AM   
CORLEONE

I'd like to announce I've just retained the Champions League with Palermo in my 7th season. Haven't won Serie A for 5 years though

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 215
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 5/2/2010 12:43:47 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

*BUMP*

bumping this thread cos of how much fun it was last time round, and also to draw your attention to this: http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.285?PHPSESSID=febd9c48ce447a6b5ad2ca251a204f17 Champ Man 01/02 as a free, legal download, as well as updates to bring it up to 2010. I'm currently playing as Leeds in the Second Division, hovering just outside automatic promotion. One tip is get a scout scouting Scandinavia - you'll always find a hidden gem there.

Dammit they don't have a download for Macs!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 216
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 5/2/2010 2:38:39 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Playing FM2010, and having the fucking time of my life!

I was Huddersfield in my first season, came second 8 points behind Leeds when predicted 8th. Very good indeed I thought, and I thought I'd be battling relegation in the Championship when predicted 21st. Instead, I came 2nd again only two points behind Forest and I'm now 3rd in the Premier League after 8 games!

For my second season I only brought in Chris Smalling on loan, and for my third I've bought Smalling, Wilshere, Beckford and Fiorillo. So generally the same nucleus squad that I won promotion with - and Neil Mellor, bought for 95k at the start of my first season and banging in 32 goals the first time and 27 the second. Leg.End.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 217
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 5/2/2010 2:53:56 PM   
CORLEONE

Done bloody well there mate!

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 218
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 5/2/2010 8:25:52 PM   
Olaf

finished third, made it to the play-off final against Scunthorpe. Was 3-1 up with half an hour to go, managed to concede two and go to penalties. Both teams score their first four penalties, until Becchio (first choice striker since Beckford fucked off to Hull) steps up and hits it over.

What tactics are you playing Epi? I need to know.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 219
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/4/2010 10:44:39 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm currently three seasons into my quest to get York City into the Premier League, I finished 9th in the BSP, then 4th but won the playoffs, now I'm currently trying to handle mid-table obscurity in League 2. I blew my 80k transfer budget on flops in the first 3 weeks and now I'm having to rely on a few free transfer signings to try and keep me from the drop.

I must have had about eight job offers from Championship sides but declined them all, York City will make the Premier League!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 220
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/4/2010 11:28:05 AM   
James2183

Then do a Coyle and leave them half way through their first season for a bigger job?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 221
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/4/2010 6:15:23 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I wish

I've just finished my third season in charge and I finished two places above the relegation zone The chairman was ecstatic

Shame we're now 400k in the red

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 222
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/4/2010 6:53:18 PM   
kata

Any of you guys tried Football manager online?

Been playing it on and off for a few months.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 223
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 10/5/2010 12:36:36 PM   
Olaf

back on 01/02 (a week before my exams... FFFFFFUUUUUUU) - took control of the mighty Bristol City in Division 2. After back to back promotions, as of December 2003 I'm 7th in the Premier League (InterToto Cup here I come). Big name signings include Stevey Finnan, Igors Stepanovs and a 22-yr old Andrei Arshavin. 

EDIT not quite. Andrei's work permit fell through

< Message edited by Olaf -- 10/5/2010 12:57:24 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 224
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 10/5/2010 1:13:27 PM   
Badgers

I've recently got back into FM 2008, playing as Arsenal to get used to the game again before attempting to make a small team massive.

Question : When you guys play do you ever leave your current team for a new job? I usually just want to build one team up, although have always fancied starting unemployed with no reputation and seeing how far I can get.

Stuntcock!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Just let me know where and when.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 225
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 10/5/2010 1:19:45 PM   
CORLEONE

Just started my 10th season with Palermo. Won the Champions League 3 times but the league only once. Been on it 23 days. Sad act.

(in reply to Badgers)
Post #: 226
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 10/5/2010 2:32:57 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Badgers

Question : When you guys play do you ever leave your current team for a new job? I usually just want to build one team up, although have always fancied starting unemployed with no reputation and seeing how far I can get.

I like to take over an international team usually (if I get offered), but only when I've taken a team as far as I can really. Otherwise I stick with my starting team (though I'd like to try starting unemployed sometime... I'm not that good at it though so it would only end badly )

also HELP: I was doing fine with my setup in the Premier League (was first/second for a while as well), but I just stopped winning in January and haven't won in three months. What happened, I didn't change anything? Tips much appreciated.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 10/5/2010 3:57:54 PM >

(in reply to Badgers)
Post #: 227
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 12/5/2010 11:20:28 AM   
Olaf

Doing a proper Roy Hodgson job at Bristol - just toppled Real Madrid 4-3 on aggregate to make the UEFA Cup semi final. Currently riding high in fourth in the league, which is fortunate because we're hemorrhaging money due to the obscene wages I'm giving players.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 228
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 9:37:33 AM   
CORLEONE

Incredible achievement last night. Reached the 2018 World Cup semi final with little old Serbia! Lost 4-3 to Argentina in an epic encounter.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 229
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 10:29:34 AM   
Felix

I cant seem to get past the Quarter finals of any major tournament with England. Thinking of changing my name to Sven.

I've finished first in the qualifying (without losing a single game) for 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016 and lost in the Quarters of each one.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 230
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 10:36:59 AM   
CORLEONE

Yeah, I've never won it with England either. Strange how all those great players can't seem to do it at the major tournaments.....

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 231
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 11:26:49 AM   
Felix

Rooney won the Golden Boot at 2010 though.

He's now got 119 caps and 78 goals.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 232
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 11:35:57 AM   
tftrman

On FM2008 I've won the World Cup and European Championship back to back with England playing a 4- 2- 3-1 formation.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 233
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 4:57:02 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I started a new game on Football Manager 2010 the day after England got knocked out of the world cup in reality.

I started out as England Manager, and won the World Cup straight away, with a very different and untested team to that of Capello. Then somehow between the end of the World Cup and the start of the Euros (despite qualifying for them) England dropped down to rank 16th in FIFAs world rankings, and I was put into the group of death...

England
Portugal
Holland
France

I got to the final game of the group stage in third, needing a win by a massive margin to get through to the Quarter Finals, managed to beat the Dutch 5-1 and I got through. Next game was Italy, who I managed to beat 3-0 and then the Semi Final was against Spain, which I won 4-2.

So who was in the final? Switzerland! The team I had actually lost to 1-0 in my final friendly before the tournament. Seems like an easy final on paper, but then I've knocked out all the big teams on my way to the final already, so who else was left? Managed to win 1-0 and of course now we've won both trophies, which worked England up to rank 3.

By this time I was starting to prepare for my campaign for the next World Cup, and I started getting offers from clubs. Originally after winning the World Cup I was getting offers from Serie B teams. However after playing my first game in the confederations cup, I got an offer from Juventus, I asked to delay the decision till the end of the tournament, as I was looking for a move away from England and if I won the Confederations cup I'd have taken them as far as they could go. Anyway, got England to the Semi Final of the Confederations cup and Man Utd put an offer in, they'd sacked their previous manager (Mancini?!?!?!?) despite winning the league. I couldn't refuse so I said yes, luckily I could continue with England till the end of the tournament. I managed to win the confederations cup, and having already started World Cup qualifiers, I decided I'd stay on till England had qualified, but with a comfy position at the top of the group and the Utd job demanding more time (I literally had no time to make transfers as I was always preparing for games with both sides) I had to leave my England post, but by then they were rank 1 in the world and I was now a World Class manager in the Hall of Fame, in 3 seasons no less.

I turfed out all the dead wood at United, and on top of an existing 70m transfer budget (where did that come from?!?!) I had about 100m to spend in the end. So I bought Keirrison from Barcelona (who at that point in the game had gone up to 35m price tag), I'd bought Giouseppe Rossi back for 10m, I'd bought Kolarov, Vucinic, and a number of lesser players, and I had a very decent side, we were winning all the pre season games 9/10 goals to nil, and these weren't easy opponents either.

Unfortunately the season started, and it was draw after draw after draw, I've won a few games, particularly 6-1 against Liverpool and 5-1 against man City, but we've been under performing. Managed to just qualify for the knockouts of the Champions League and got Vidic to call a players meeting to sort out the problems and now we've won our last few games.

Since then I've not been back on it for a few days, but it's really enjoyable, only problem is absolutely no decent keepers want to sign for me.

Oh I also joined Utd with 8 players in the reserve team which was weird, so I bought a load of youngsters from the likes of Real and Barca and paid compensation for usurping their little up and coming stars. And then signed Helguerra, Henry and Beckham for free to get them all playing with the reserves.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 234
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 5:14:45 PM   
Rinc

I loaded up a game of FM2007 I hadn't played in a while. In the game I'd won the PL with Liverpool in my first season. As usual I cleared out a lot of deadwood and brought in loads of youngsters. I finished runner up to Chelsea the next season, then with a wopping 95 points I finished runner up again although I did win the CL! Now in my fourth season I've got bucketloads of cash, a young team and I'm now in New Anfield raking in the cash from tickets. Not like real life at all! I'm topping the league quite comfortably but thought I'd go mad and sign Messi for 59m. I've got him playing out of his skin just behind Daniel Sturridge, with Gerrard and Guy Asulin on the wings and Alonso and a youngster sat behind passing the ball about with ease.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 235
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 5:37:50 PM   
matthewforan

FM07 is the only one I play anymore. I do love it so.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 236
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/7/2010 7:01:47 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I loaded up a game of FM2007 I hadn't played in a while. In the game I'd won the PL with Liverpool in my first season. As usual I cleared out a lot of deadwood and brought in loads of youngsters. I finished runner up to Chelsea the next season, then with a wopping 95 points I finished runner up again although I did win the CL! Now in my fourth season I've got bucketloads of cash, a young team and I'm now in New Anfield raking in the cash from tickets. Not like real life at all! I'm topping the league quite comfortably but thought I'd go mad and sign Messi for 59m. I've got him playing out of his skin just behind Daniel Sturridge, with Gerrard and Guy Asulin on the wings and Alonso and a youngster sat behind passing the ball about with ease.

Just goes to show how unrealistic these games are.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 237
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 15/10/2010 10:42:14 AM   
CORLEONE

I reached the pinnacle of the game last night. I have been named the greatest manager of all time. 16 seasons with Palermo. 7 Serie A titles. 6 Champions Leagues.

But that's not all. Has anyone else seen this cos none of my mates have and it has raised the bar in football management. Palermo are building a new stadium and they have named it after me! I was in tears of joy.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 238
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 15/10/2010 11:22:07 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

That's quite an achievement. I haven't played FM for a few months now in anticipation of FM2011 which is out shortly. Cannot wait.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 239
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 15/10/2010 12:28:12 PM   
CORLEONE

Cheers mate. Can't seem to stop playing it. Sucked in big time. My next target is blitzing Madrid's 9 European Cups

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI