Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 16/1/2009 12:07:07 AM   
matthewforan

Yeah you can but are you paying Wigan or are they paying you? It all depends on that.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 181
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 16/1/2009 9:49:00 AM   
clownfoot

Well my parent club are Spurs and they've loaned me a 19 year old goalkeeper who seems half decent. Cheers Harry.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 182
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 16/1/2009 9:55:32 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Yeah you can but are you paying Wigan or are they paying you? It all depends on that.

They're paying me, as they're my parent club. If I was paying them they'd be a feeder club.

You can only ask again after a certain amount of time, so I'll see what happens.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 183
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 16/1/2009 5:40:50 PM   
Frank Castle

I did try with man utd a few times and evry time i lost the charity sheild by 2 or more goals??

Update on my game and result!!! i won the play offs and are promoted to the conference!!! Happy days
A quick look and again managed to get in a few released players from man utd/chelsea/liverpool and arsenal. Loads of free transfers but my wage bill aint to great and bath city are in debt by 300'000. I think i need a nice billionare to come and throw some money at me!!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 184
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 16/1/2009 6:35:02 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Well, finished my first season with Citeh - 10th in the league, and won the League Cup! WOO

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 185
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 19/1/2009 5:14:23 AM   
Pigeon Army

Finally picked up the game again, and can celebrate with a 1-all draw against League Two hot-shots Barnet.  On the negative side, four of my best players are down - striker Adam Birchall's been banned for 3 matches for doing some shit in a match against Grimsby, and defender Rhys Day's been sidelined for one match for doing some shit in the game against Barnet, on top of hot-stuff midfielder Laurence Wilson out for a few days due to dislocating a shoulder in training, and expensive-but-worth-it winger Mico Sarac having an eye injury and being out for two months.

God, my team irritates me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 186
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 19/1/2009 10:12:08 AM   
CORLEONE

The worst thing ever happened this weekend. I am a legendary manager in my 12th season. I speak 8 different languages. I had 6 years at Real Madrid and 6 years at Juventus. I had played the game for 20 days. I was making preparations for the beginning of my 13th season. I had assembled the best youth team ever with 5 or 6 of them having the potential to be truly world class. I went to save the game. My 360 crashed while saving. File corrupted. Unable to open.

Now I'm a nobody. Now I'm just a schmuck.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 187
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 28/1/2009 10:26:00 AM   
Y2Neildotcom

I started a game as my local team Worcester City in the Blue Square South league. My first ever lower league management game. Not doing too bad, currently third after 16 games mainly thanks to my romainan 18 year old striker I picked up on a free, Jiano (I think thats how you spell it).

One thing that I'm finding most frustrating is I'll only ever win by one goal if and when I do. I understand I'm not a top team, I'm not expected to dominate matches but I'd like a bit more of the ball and a bit of a comfort win now and then. Anyone have any LLM tips?

Much rock,

< Message edited by Y2Neildotcom -- 29/1/2009 1:32:30 PM >

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 188
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 21/2/2009 10:11:02 AM   
matthewforan

So how is everyone doing on their quests? I was thinking about picking up the new FM can anyone tell me if it's any better than 08 because if it isn't then don't think i'll bother.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 189
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 23/2/2009 10:03:05 AM   
Y2Neildotcom

There isn't a great deal of difference...in all honestly.

the thing that really annoys me is having to go through so many screens just to get to the match in the first place...there's the overview, the team talk, the opposition instructions and the squad selection...I feel this could be concatenated into far less screens.

You won't believe how my season is going though! I'm now top of the Blue Square Premier! Terrific! All thanks to getting a deal with Aston Villa and them sending me Shaun Lowry and Tobias Mikaelsson - such a legend!!

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

Post #: 190
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 23/3/2009 9:17:58 AM   
Felix

My Leicester team continue to go from strength to strength!!

First season: League 1 champions, record number of points

Second season: 4th in the Championship (predicted 15th), lose in play off final

Third season: 4th in Championship (predicted 3rd), win in play off final!!

Fourth season: 7th in the Premier League!!

Predicted finish was 19th!! One more win and I would have finished 5th. Along the way I beat Utd 4-0, Liverpool 3-1 and Arsenal 3-1, all at home and beat Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

2 games into my fifth season and I've won them both, beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge again, this time 2-0. This football management lark is a piece of piss.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 191
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/4/2009 12:56:11 PM   
Hooch0959

Just picked FM09 up last week.  Not been in this thread and I'm so glad to see many other Lower league Managers

I started at Tamworth in the Blue Square North and finished Champions in my first season, winning the league from Gateshead on Goal Difference.  Talk about squeaky bum time.

Struggling to get anything away from home in the BSP now though. 

Trying to play ultra realistic as well, no transfer lists etc.  I'm only sending my scouts out looking for players and identifying targets that way

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 192
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 8/4/2009 10:53:23 PM   
Sarxos

Managing Luton is quite the challenge. The key is to not get relegated because of that 30 point deduction. Easy to say but fiendish to accomplish.

We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. I'm going after a find of incredible historical significance, you're talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am.

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 193
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/4/2009 8:26:00 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

My Leicester team continue to go from strength to strength!!

First season: League 1 champions, record number of points

Second season: 4th in the Championship (predicted 15th), lose in play off final

Third season: 4th in Championship (predicted 3rd), win in play off final!!

Fourth season: 7th in the Premier League!!

Predicted finish was 19th!! One more win and I would have finished 5th. Along the way I beat Utd 4-0, Liverpool 3-1 and Arsenal 3-1, all at home and beat Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

2 games into my fifth season and I've won them both, beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge again, this time 2-0. This football management lark is a piece of piss.

Tactics, NOW.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 194
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/4/2009 8:34:25 PM   
Rhubarb

My PC died in the time since I last played, maybe its time to reinstall it though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 195
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 9/4/2009 11:58:52 PM   
Sober

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hooch0959

Trying to play ultra realistic as well, no transfer lists etc.  I'm only sending my scouts out looking for players and identifying targets that way

I really like this idea. Unsure if I'd have the discipline to do that but I do try to work my way up kinda thing. Currently playing FM08 and in my first season I got Forest promoted to the Championship via the Play Offs. With the final in injury time I was losing and then had a free kick on the edge of the area...then my right back equalised! Managed to win the game on Penalties!

Then I was given a nice windfall of 4m but then brought loads of players which upset the balance somewhat and struggled. However the seeds were sown and the following season I was looking good for automatic promotion but then I didn't even make the play offs :( Season later and I was struggling like I did in my first season. Unable to contemplate another struggling season I resign, with the belief I'll get anohter job at a similar club - but couldn't get one to save my life!
I had to go on a manager holiday for a few seasons and then it was plucky old Barnet who gave me my second chance as it were. However after finding two cracking midfielders I just couldnt stomach their manky kit and so left and once more stepped into the wilderness.
So it was to Barnsley who were bottom of League 2 and about to enter non-league oblivion and had this happened I would have been sacked (havent got the conference loaded) and would probably have had to re-start. However I managed to stay up on the last game of the season - a game where the term 'squeaky bum time' was made for.
Got Barnsley galvanised and made it to League 1 with them and then went to Swindon who in turn I got to the Championship. By this time I got some good regens whom I remained loyal too - especially one particular centre forward whom the AI would put in the reserves but he always did the business for me.
After years of struggling at small clubs on low gates, Everton asked for my services after their relegation into the Champship and after never really convincing during my first full season I managed to win the play off final 3-2 and after about 20 years in the game, I made it to the Premier League!
Stayed up in my first season and a plucky left back who I chucked into the deep end from the youth team went to Watford for 16m and a defensive midfielder who I signed for about 5m as a Premier League treat was sold to Napoli for 16.5m. Which brings me bang up to date - in my second season in the Premier League and once again survival is the target, although due to selling those players I now have a healthy bank balance of 10M and for the first time since i'v been here the club hasnt been fighting to get out the red...only to then go into debt during the close season.
Perhaps it's with this stability and good crowds that I'v been targeted for a take over...a consortium are currently mulling over whether to take the plunge and if they'r successfull perhaps it will signal the beginning of the 'European years' of my FM managerial existence!

Regarding the game of FM08, although I'm not being strict in the 'transfer market' sense, I am being strict with my choice of players and I'm trying to favour British players due to being in a British league. When I sold those two players for millions I did struggle to find some decent players...decided to bite the bullet and bid for a Japanese...then a Russian but twice was denied a work permit. Thankfully in the intervening weeks two English Wigan players wanted to join and so I put in two successful bids.
Really enjoying it though and after a brief dabble in Football Manager Live, I'v now decided that FM08 is the one for me. The quality of the regens is superb too and just the right balance between good and bad players.

Matured for years and imported, Into my glass you poured it

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 196
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 1/8/2009 9:14:28 PM   
Olaf

Bumping this as I found my copy of FM06 earlier today and I feel the need to play it for some reason. Anyone know how to adjust the match speed? I haven't played this in ages...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 197
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 2/8/2009 5:44:59 PM   
Donnie Murdo

If I remember there should be a slider to the bottom left of the 2D pitch screen, alongside the highlight frequency.

Haven't played this in a year or so though, considering picking up a bargain bin copy of FM09 soon, quite like the look of the 3D pitch, and my Macbook should have the power to play it quite smoothly...

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 198
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/8/2009 2:10:45 PM   
Olaf

Okay, after that embarrassingly noobish last post, I'm firmly addicted once again. Easing myself back into it, in honour of the dearly departed Scot thread by playing as Celtic (hey, I haven't played it in eight years!), and currently opening up a nine point lead over holders Rangers with two games in hand (not to mention three wins over the "Gers", 3-0, 4-1 and 4-1 respectively). Into the semi finals of the Scottish Cup and went out of the Uefa Cup quarter final on away goals to Real Betis. Overall, doing alright for someone who hasn't played FM properly in nearly a decade...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 199
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/8/2009 3:16:08 PM   
CORLEONE

I started a rather random Palermo a couple of weeks ago. Gonna finish around 7th, in the semis of the Italian Cup and the semis of the UEFA. Doing well but the club are in debt and I have no cash to spend....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 200
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 3/8/2009 3:27:38 PM   
Olaf

It's funny, I was looking through the papers in the shop today and one of them said Burnley have "only" 16m to spend this summer. My team's got (drumroll please) 1m...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 201
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 4/8/2009 10:01:18 PM   
Frank Castle

Ive decided to give the game another go and especially the challenge. i decided on afc wimbledon in the southern conference. i managed to win the league in my first season mainly thanks to arsenal my feeder team sending me a awesome 19 year old polish lad in goal.
now in the conference mid-table side managed to get loads of kids that were released from premiership sides and arsenal have sent me 3 decent youngsters as well including my fav polish lad!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 202
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/8/2009 11:56:13 AM   
Olaf

I'm on to my second season as Celtic having won the title by 12 points last season, so far seven games into the league season and unbeaten. Picked up a 19yr old Brazilian called Quirino who scored a hat trick on his league debut and has scored 5 goals in 7 games, while my other striker (who scored 54 goals in all competitions last year) has already scored 7.

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 203
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/8/2009 10:30:52 PM   
CORLEONE

2nd season with Palermo, top of the league after 15 games. Would be amazed if I won it, Serie A's a tough nut to crack, never mind with Palermo!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 204
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/8/2009 10:36:59 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

What is the latetst FM version and when is the new one out?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 205
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/8/2009 10:39:58 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

2nd season with Palermo, top of the league after 15 games. Would be amazed if I won it, Serie A's a tough nut to crack, never mind with Palermo!

Definitely, yeah. There's usually only about three teams you can win it with - no matter how hard I tried with Parma

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 206
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/8/2009 10:41:43 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I won it with Sampdoria on FM09, but I want to start as a shit team people. For FM09, does anyone have any really good tactics, training schedules, etc? I've downloaded tactics off the internet, but I'm not sure if they work or not, or I'm just lucky sometimes.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 207
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 13/8/2009 12:03:19 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Arsene Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson, Carlo Ancelotti, Fabio Capello, Mario Zagallo, Jock Stein, Don Revie, Bob Paisley, Bill Shankly, Louis Van Gaal, Arrigo Sacchi - eat your heart out!!!

I won Serie A with Palermo last night in my 2nd season. 33-1 outsiders at the start of the season. Freedom of Sicily is mine

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 208
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 13/8/2009 12:07:23 PM   
Pigeon Army

I just want good tactics for CM 2006. I have it on my Xbox, and I swear to God, Mansfield Town's making it difficult for me to love the game. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 209
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 19/8/2009 10:20:46 AM   
Olaf

I won the quadruple in my second season at Celtic. We played Arsenal off the pitch

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI