Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:11:11 PM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: rupert303

Ok, been plying these games for years, and while I haven't payed the latest version, I had FM08.

Formation wise, keep it simple:

4-4-2 - with player presets as base

2 ultra defensive centre backs (hard tackling) who come forward to attack corners.

2 fullbacks on a custom setting between defensive and normal (normal tackling), with forward runs, that stick to the sidelines and cross from deep

1 defensive midfielder. Ultra defensive, hard tackling, tracking back left and right (at the same time - trust me!).

1 normal midfielder. You'll have to fiddle with his settings until you find a good balance between going forward, but not too psycho - with a bit more added creativity. (normal tackle)

2 wingers - put the crosses onto mixed - forward runs all the way to the end of the pitch. (light tackle)

1 striker, brought down and in slightly, running up and across to fill the hole. Bring his attack mindedness down and creativity up. (light tackle)

1 out and out striker, running straight into the box. attack mindedness up, creativity down. (light tackle)

If you get it right it will never fail.

And remember to establish a first 11 and stick with it as much as you can - don't rotate unless you need to. this means the players know where they stand, and when you get injuries the reserves will start pushing for a first team place. And stick to your tactics! If you like to close the game down at 2-0 with a 5th defender then keep doing it, or if you always throw on a 3rd striker when you need a goal then always do it! This way your players will start to learn your tactics and respond (and you find out who makes the grade or not).

You must also keep recruiting youth players for your under 18's and reserves, getting better coaches and scouts etc... don't fuck around with the training through, it never seems to work.

wow, that was like a tutorial.

I'll try this now, thanks Rupert!

Who do I be though?!

Someone give me a good-to-average team in the EPL or Championship, go!

Try Man City, that's who I'd be in 09...loads of cash (I'd expect) but with enough scope to build your own team.

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 61
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:12:30 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Ooh, good one!
I'd feel guilty about getting Mark Hughes sacked though

Fuck it.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 62
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:13:38 PM   
Rhubarb

I tried to be Man City in 09 and it was hilarious. Because you aren't in the Champions League, tehre's only a certain type of player you can buy - the crazies. I had the most mentally unbalanced team of all time - Cassano, Riquelme, Arshavin, Dida, Gattuso. Plus Steven Ireland and Robinho. It was good while it lasted

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 63
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:15:36 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I tried to be Man City in 09 and it was hilarious. Because you aren't in the Champions League, tehre's only a certain type of player you can buy - the crazies. I had the most mentally unbalanced team of all time - Cassano, Riquelme, Arshavin, Dida, Gattuso. Plus Steven Ireland and Robinho. It was good while it lasted

I'm being them!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 64
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:21:52 PM   
rupert303

Cassano's always a twat and all.

Try and find a Brazilian kid called Lulinha - was bloody amazing when I had him...better than Fabregas.

Stick to players from your own nationality too. Specially the kids. Go Brazilian with English as a second language and your scouts will start finding all these amazing kids in the Brazilian leagues a couple years in.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 65
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:22:40 PM   
matthewforan

Talking of Cesc I got him at Barca for £62m 

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 66
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:26:33 PM   
rupert303

Sergio Aguero is amazing too, he's so fast!

Pace and acceleration are the two most important aspects in the game. Try not to buy too many short people as well.

There's an American kid called Freddy Adu who's always really good, too, for some reason

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 67
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:26:36 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Talking of Cesc I got him at Barca for £62m 

Class!

I love being Barca, because they play football as I like it to be played - attacking. Barca are awesome.

Re Cassano - He's bloody good though. If he sorted himself out he'd be a world beater. But him falling out with Steven Ireland was basically the begining of the end for me at City

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 68
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:27:57 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

He's a brilliant player yeah. I quite like the current Atlético side. Might start a game as them actually.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 69
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:33:23 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

Pace and acceleration are the two most important aspects in the game. Try not to buy too many short people as well.

There's an American kid called Freddy Adu who's always really good, too, for some reason

He is actually meant to be really good. So it's probably justified.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 70
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:34:26 PM   
Felix

On football365 there is a great conference north/south to Champions league challenge. So hard, after 5 years I'm stillin the conference!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 71
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:36:29 PM   
matthewforan

God that would be hard I got Carlisle to the PL once, when they were in the old Second division.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 72
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 8:39:19 PM   
Epiphany Demon

It's not loading! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That's how sad I am I don't get to start a revolution at Citeh.

Post #: 73
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 9:05:06 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

On football365 there is a great conference north/south to Champions league challenge. So hard, after 5 years I'm stillin the conference!

That's rough. I find it hard to play beyond about the third season because the game is so unrecognisable by then. I might give the climbing up the leagues a crack though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 74
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 9:13:48 PM   
rupert303

quote:

I mate of mine said he did that. Got to admit I thought he was chatting shit. The only way you could do it is by trying to develop load of kids and signing veterans on the cheap for a few seasons.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 75
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 9:21:22 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

That's rough. I find it hard to play beyond about the third season because the game is so unrecognisable by then. I might give the climbing up the leagues a crack though.

Its great fun actually, I'm Havant and Waterlooville and you get a real sense of achievement building a dynasty I've taken Crawley Town from Conference to Champions League in CM03/04 but its tonnes harder in FM.

There is also a 4 Nations Champions Challenge too, where you have to win the League in Norn Iron, Scotland, Wales and England, starting in either Norn Iron or Wales. Now that is hard, I cant see it being done in less than 20 odd seasons.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 76
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 11:16:26 PM   
matthewforan

Well I got Carlisle into the Prem up 3 divisions in 8 years and I won the carling cup the year I got into the Prem. Had this mad Russian guy up front that got 40 goals a season. That's one of my best achivements 

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 77
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 6/1/2009 11:51:16 PM   
Rhubarb

Well, Felix has won me over, I'm about to start a game as Hyde United. Come on the *looks on Wiki* Tigers!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 78
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 12:03:19 AM   
rupert303

My greatest achievement was coming back from a 5-0 drubbing in the champions league semi final to win the second leg 6-0.

I was literally screaming at my laptop.

Oh dear, all this talk is getting me interesting buying the latest game...this conference to champions league sounds like a challenge.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 79
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 12:08:43 AM   
Rhubarb

Just took over at Hyde where if I say I finish in the top half, i get a £0 transfer budget with barely enough wages to cover my squad.

I get the same if I say I'm gonna win the league

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 80
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 8:04:09 AM   
Felix

Thats the spirit!!

Basically, the first thing you want to do is decimate your squad. Give anyone in your reserves or Youth team who isnt going to play a free transfer, that way you'll drastically reduce your wage bill and your Youth team isnt going to be good enough to produce and gems anyway for a while!!

My best advice would be to get a parent club and get some players in on loan. I had Pompey at H&W and they were brilliant. One striker they sent me scored 52 goals in 52 games. All hail H&W legend, Paris Cowan-Hall!!

Also, at the end of the first season, go to Arsenal and look at the players they've released on frees. Offer contracts to those who are interested, and repeat with the entire Premier League. They'll most likely only sign 1 year deals, so if they turn out shit you can bin them and repeat the process each season. It usually picks out a few real gems though that stay in the team.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 81
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 1:12:46 PM   
matthewforan

That's a good tactic Felix I like it although i'm gonna leave that challenge for another time bringing 9 in a row to Celtic Park is my target this season.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 82
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 1:14:12 PM   
Felix

I shall be retrying the challenge with the mighty H&W once I raise enough funds on PlayTrade to buy FM2009.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 83
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 1:19:41 PM   
matthewforan

I'm using play trade for the first time selling an extra copy of Dark Knight. FM09 is £15 I forget where but I saw it for sure i'll try and find it.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 84
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 1:30:55 PM   
matthewforan

Okay it was at amazon.co.uk but now it's listed at £24 so i'll be skipping it for a while.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 85
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 2:18:24 PM   
tftrman

I bought FM09 and sold it within 2 days since I don't have a nasa supercomputer so it was slooooooooooooooowwwwwwww. Back to FM08 and just won the prem with Villa. It's a bit annoying how poor Agbonlahor's stats are on the game compared to real life though, ended up flogging him to Valencia. 

Post #: 86
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 7/1/2009 4:38:19 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Thats the spirit!!

Basically, the first thing you want to do is decimate your squad. Give anyone in your reserves or Youth team who isnt going to play a free transfer, that way you'll drastically reduce your wage bill and your Youth team isnt going to be good enough to produce and gems anyway for a while!!

My best advice would be to get a parent club and get some players in on loan. I had Pompey at H&W and they were brilliant. One striker they sent me scored 52 goals in 52 games. All hail H&W legend, Paris Cowan-Hall!!

Also, at the end of the first season, go to Arsenal and look at the players they've released on frees. Offer contracts to those who are interested, and repeat with the entire Premier League. They'll most likely only sign 1 year deals, so if they turn out shit you can bin them and repeat the process each season. It usually picks out a few real gems though that stay in the team.

Asked my board for a parent club, they came back to me for my advice on three choices.

Birmingham City
Sheffield Wednesday
Man United

Hmmm...Wonder which of those I ought to reccomend...

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 87
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 8/1/2009 9:03:35 AM   
Felix

Sheffield Wednesday?

You lucky bastard, I might have to reconsider the mighty H&W and start as Hyde.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 88
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 8/1/2009 3:35:35 PM   
Rhubarb

Yeah they gave me Man United because of the proximity of the two clubs. Brilliant

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 89
RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread - 8/1/2009 3:36:33 PM   
Felix

Hyde here I come.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The Football Manager/Championship Manager Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI