Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Give him a chance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Give him a chance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Give him a chance - 4/1/2009 3:39:18 PM   
oakford

I don't get why people are coming on here saying how much they hate the show, you really don't have to watch it, and you don't have to fill up the comments board with generic closed minded comments! Doctor Who makes a change from the reality based, celebrity obsessed dross thats on TV at the moment, as for him not being 'pretty' well I am glad, would they rather Ant & bloody Dec be the Doctor and his companion instead?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Who or What? - 4/1/2009 3:46:39 PM   
Big Braveheart

When they announced him as the new Who i was like what? You gotta be kidding!
Seriously not a very good choice, yes we'll wait and see but from the age and the way he
looks i think the producers are going in the wrong direction. He is ugly too with that massive forehead and jaw and looks like a rugby player. They could've cast him as
Frankenstein's monster but Dr.Who nah! Oh and the guy that cast him either fancied him or was severly embarrassed as he looked as though he was about to greet (cry)! ???
Very strange choice.

Post #: 32
- 4/1/2009 4:13:47 PM   
sleepwalker

Definately time for a change in Who, Tennant will be sorely missed but I will be pleased to see a change in writing, In every minute of every show I believe that the word Doctor or the Doctor is used up to 15 times. This works out close to 600 'Doctors' per episode. The only other time I can think of a show that used the same word so many times would be Star Trek Voyager using 'Anomoly' (aprox 250 per episode).
With Who we are up to season 5 now(Not counting the reams of doctors that have gone before) , I think that they have possibly ingrained the character into british popular culture indoing so creating its own myth for us to be able to drop 50% of the doctors from each episode!!!

Post #: 33
Blue Army. - 4/1/2009 6:18:14 PM   
Corbett1

This Guy is gonig to be brilliant. Why? He used to play for Leicester City. I hope this fact ruins Dr Who for all Forset and Rams fans.
Who are you?

Post #: 34
NO Way - 4/1/2009 6:23:31 PM   
raymondbros

the doctors supposed to have a touch of wisdom and knowledge, hes too young, it doesn't matter his age just the fact that hes looks too young as well. how old are they gonna have to have the assistant, 18 to keep up with him probably.
they should have used Chiwetel Ejiofor who was one of the finalists in the auditions, screw youngest doctor, no one cares, have 1st black doctor that's what i say

Post #: 35
- 4/1/2009 6:47:08 PM   
Tante G

When it was announced that Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker all geeks went nuts and disagreed. So maybe its best to just wait and see. Then again when it was announced that Shia was cast as... Oh dear.

Post #: 36
- 4/1/2009 7:20:49 PM   
deathbat6661

I swear this guy has more hair than he actually does skull. That in itself scares me a little.

Post #: 37
Wait and see... - 4/1/2009 7:22:41 PM   
gsharpe

I think we should just wait and see. He doesn't have the same infectious charisma as Tennant (from that interview anyway) but we should give him a chance. Looks like him + Steven Moffat want to move us in a totally new direction. Which is good. Remember the shift in tone from Eccleston to Tennant?

Post #: 38
- 4/1/2009 7:30:11 PM   
hatebox

The above picture doesn't show it too well, but this guy has the deepest set eyes ever...

Post #: 39
RE: - 4/1/2009 8:27:20 PM   
Mr. Chumba

Why are all you people saying you don't care if you're bothering to post that message? And you can't judge poor matt already! You've only seen his bloody picture! Why don't all you people who don't understand Doctor Who piss off back to your movies. TV series allow for more detailed plot developments and deeper characterisations. The Doctor is the single most deeply explored and beloved character ever created so the news of the next actor to play TV's most legendary chararcter- its big news. Poor |Matt must be bricking it and he doesn't need you ignorant twats who don't even have the intelligence to watch intelligent television saying "ooh, look how deep his eyes are!" or "OMG He's so ugly!" So why don't you leave it to us Whovians to decide and you movie freaks (of which I am part -time) just leave that scary telebox in your living room alone and get back to dreaming about the Star Trek movie. Thats the problem with this forum. Filled with bloody trekkies.  

"But if you devote yourself to an ideal... Then you'll become something else entirely"

"Our situation has not improved."

"Why so serious?"

"No. It wasn't my hands... It was my... My misunderstanding."

"Harvey wall-banger! How is that 1 word?"

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 40
RE: RE: - 4/1/2009 10:16:27 PM   
sagart

Single most beloved character?! TV's most legendary character!?! Isn't it time for your nice warm Cybermen PJ's? We'd be delighted to piss off back to our movies, if TV would piss off back to the mags out there for them and leave Empire alone. Come on guys!! Leave this nonsense to SFX or Sci-Fi Now. As a full on 'movie freak', I'll leave you to your TV where you can hide behind the sofa while us grown ups head out to the movies. See ya!!

(in reply to Mr. Chumba)
Post #: 41
RE: RE: - 4/1/2009 10:24:39 PM   
hamsolo77

Mr.Chumba if you are looking for intelligent TV shows, you really should be watching the Soprano's, West Wing or the Wire. And for intelligent sci-fi, then check out BSG!  Apologies if you already watch these but if this is the case I can't understand why you would want to sit through even a single episode of Dr Who!

(in reply to sagart)
Post #: 42
RE: RE: - 4/1/2009 11:04:46 PM   
Mr. Chumba

Soprano's, West Wing or the Wire. And for intelligent sci-fi, then check out BSG! 

Well you don't see any of them being legendary enough for Empire to mention a new actor being cast in them do ya! Eh, eh, eh. And none of them come close to having the charm of Doctor Who. And other gay bloke, if you're too adult for it then don't bother- you don't understand it and the magic has gone for you. Like Santa. Now leave it alone!

"But if you devote yourself to an ideal... Then you'll become something else entirely"

"Our situation has not improved."

"Why so serious?"

"No. It wasn't my hands... It was my... My misunderstanding."

"Harvey wall-banger! How is that 1 word?"

(in reply to hamsolo77)
Post #: 43
RE: RE: - 5/1/2009 10:04:31 AM   
the ageless stranger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Chumba

Why are all you people saying you don't care if you're bothering to post that message?

Honest to God, I hate people who use that "argument".

It's a forum. Not a blind faith board. People post on forums. It's what we do.

As for Who, it's pants. Sheer unadulterated pants. Badly acted, written, annoying, terrible sets, effects, everything. I cannot see the appeal in this show at all. And as for the "charm" of Dr.Who? Two words chief; Catherine Tate.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to Mr. Chumba)
Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 5/1/2009 10:07:53 AM   
sagart

"The other gay bloke"!!???!!

Sorry Mr Chumba, my mistake. I thought I was talking to a grown up.

(in reply to Mr. Chumba)
Post #: 45
Too young - 5/1/2009 11:13:41 AM   
lisamoorish

The Doctor needn't be an old git, but he shouldn't look like he hasn't shaved yet. This guy looks like his eyebrows were burnt off by a chip pan fire, and the fire spread to his face and was put out with a shovel.

Post #: 46
WHO? - 5/1/2009 11:38:17 AM   
ROTGUT

Conversely - as The Doctor gets older, he's getting younger...
First impressions are that he's a bit too young - but I think the producers are playing safe casting someone that's going to appeal mostly to mums and young teenage girls. They could have cast a grumpy depressing old man as the Doctor - but would that bring in the ratings? Steven Moffat's scripts should at least ensure that the next season will be quality....

Post #: 47
what a bunch of - 5/1/2009 1:27:01 PM   
missphoenix

shitbags there are on Empire. First of all - the original Doctor Who series was for children - so why kick up a pissy fuss that the newer series are too? In fact the newer series are actually more diverse in their audience than any of the other series ever were. Second - who the hell are you all to say anything about a family show when you're the reason that stuff like Batman etc has done so well? Come on! That shit is just as childish as anything the DW series have done. Thirdly - if you don't like any of the series then it hardly affects you - seeing as you wouldn't have been watching teh fecking thing anyway. And who cares if Empire decides to post this? It is big entertainment news - and there isn't much (aside from awards perhaps) newsworthy happening in films at the moment. So get over your stupid piss-faced selves.

Saying that - I'm not happy about someone my age being cast as the Doctor, but if he's a good enough actor he should pull it off.

And don't expect me to apologise for berating you - you all deserve it.

Post #: 48
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 1:31:08 PM   
missphoenix

You may not like it - but 10-15% of the UK population does - so that's who. That's a lot more than most of the films that are talked about on here.

(in reply to davejford)
Post #: 49
Who is Doctor Who? - 5/1/2009 2:05:04 PM   
The Hooded Man

I have heard of the Doctor but not someone called Doctor Who, is this a new character?

Post #: 50
RE: Who is Doctor Who? - 5/1/2009 2:56:09 PM   
kargon

Never heard of him , he looks like a twat

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 51
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 2:57:50 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: missphoenix

You may not like it - but 10-15% of the UK population does - so that's who. That's a lot more than most of the films that are talked about on here.

But Dr Who isn't a film, so has no place on the main page of Empire's website as a news item.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to missphoenix)
Post #: 52
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 2:59:32 PM   
horatio hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

quote:

But Dr Who isn't a film, so has no place on the main page of Empire's website as a news item.

please a while a go they reported on the new cast of stargate universes a television show and no one kicked up a stink then

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 53
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 3:01:59 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: horatio hornblower

quote:

quote:

please a while a go they reported on the new cast of stargate universes a television show and no one kicked up a stink then

I must have missed that news event then.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to horatio hornblower)
Post #: 54
RE: Wouldn't buy this guy playing a MEDICAL doctor... - 5/1/2009 3:32:38 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The_Hat

...let alone Doctor Who? The casting of someone so young is typical of the modern BBC. Look at Merlin, look at Robin Hood, look at the new Saturday evening Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch - 32 yrs old).

According to research, the character of Sherlock Holmes was 'born' in 1854, he's first supposed to meet Watson in 1881. So why is Cumberbatch too young to play the role?

(in reply to The_Hat)
Post #: 55
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 4:53:50 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

Sure it does - we review TV box sets after all. And the casting of a new Doctor Who, something that occurs every several years at most, IS news.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 56
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 5:20:15 PM   
Beno

TV does seem to get mentioned more often nowadays in all that is Empire . A while ago there was a piece on the 24 Redemption thingy , then a feature on Wired - or is it The Wire -, West Wing seems to be someones fav. at the Mag. and in this issue a few pages about Lost ...... what gives ? Do i need to stop buying The Radio Times ?

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 57
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 5:27:16 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

quote:

Sure it does - we review TV box sets after all. And the casting of a new Doctor Who, something that occurs every several years at most, IS news.

Give us more Galactica news Helen!

Get some interviews, etc.

Post #: 58
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 5:39:30 PM   
Helen OHara

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir
Give us more Galactica news Helen!

Get some interviews, etc.

There's a Jamie Bamber interview already on the site, Tech. Who, by the way, freaked me out by having a none-more-English accent (I mean, obviously; he's English. But still, 'twas weird).

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 59
RE: Doctor Who Cares??? - 5/1/2009 5:47:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

Battlestar Galactica rules

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Give him a chance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI