Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who - 3/1/2009 10:57:30 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 3/1/2009 10:57:30 PM   
hamsolo77

Rather than reporting on a terrible BBC 1 show should more time not have been taken to get a review of the Spirit online?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
good choice i say - 3/1/2009 10:58:57 PM   
ilovekaren

i loved tennent but baker is my fav i reckon this is a good move for dr who as hes not that known he has a good look to him and watching the programme thought he would suit it really well. im made up i thought they would go for a name.

Post #: 3
WHO gives a toss? - 3/1/2009 11:04:02 PM   
rubadub

Saturday night teen fodder,just the same as the pre-pubescent Robin Hood and Merlin.Stephen Fry would make a good 'un.Martin Clunes or the rumoured Colin Salmon.I was even up for a female Doc,Lesley Sharp would have been great,but that's not your target audience is it BBC?So predictable.

Post #: 4
- 3/1/2009 11:25:39 PM   
adriancal

Given that the BBC is obsessed with youth and casting every roll with a ten year old this is hardly surprising. Anyway does anyone care?, I love SCI-FI therefore I can't stand the modern politicly correct made by a committee doctor who.

Post #: 5
- 3/1/2009 11:26:00 PM   
Cadiliniel

I agree with hamsolo77...only I think Matt Smith is a good choice of Doctor, depending on what he does with the role. He needs to be very different to Tennant, that's for sure.

Post #: 6
Doctor Who the hell!? - 4/1/2009 1:26:35 AM   
Pauliewilks

Is it just me, or does Matt Smith look like the Elephant Man? Of course they have to appeal to a certain demographic, but this guy just looks weird! And all this talk of an eleventh doctor - what about Peter Cushing in the movies? Does he not count?

Post #: 7
- 4/1/2009 2:24:26 AM   
exandakane

What? Was Robert Pattinson Busy?

Post #: 8
NOT for teenagers rubadub - 4/1/2009 3:21:52 AM   
nab00li0

what the hell are you talking about. im sixteen and no no one who watches doctor who. actually scrap that, my 7 year old cousin is a mega fan. so there you go. children, not teenagers.

Post #: 9
RE: NOT for teenagers rubadub - 4/1/2009 6:33:01 AM   
horatio hornblower

well i know lots of people of all age that watch doctor who so there you go
the choice is an interesting one im sure rather than waiting desperately to se a spirit review maybe you could see it yourself and make your own mind up the review will be bad anyway since most of the reviews already out are bad

mr stephen fry would have my choice or sean pertwee

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

(in reply to nab00li0)
Post #: 10
nice lad - 4/1/2009 6:33:20 AM   
Rockin Ricky Rialto

i went to school with this lad at northampton boys school. he was a nice guy and also very funny.
good choice in my books..............well done matt

Post #: 11
Wouldn't buy this guy playing a MEDICAL doctor... - 4/1/2009 8:45:27 AM   
The_Hat

...let alone Doctor Who? The casting of someone so young is typical of the modern BBC. Look at Merlin, look at Robin Hood, look at the new Saturday evening Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch - 32 yrs old). Does my head in. I'm sure Matt Smith is a fine actor, but he's too similar to Tennant, and do we really need The Young Doctor Who Adventures? I'm sure the seven-year-olds who love it won't mind though - anyone who'd left big school seemed ancient to me at that age. Also, what's this got to do with Empire magazine?

Post #: 12
Shouldn't They Just Give Up Already? - 4/1/2009 9:31:48 AM   
joanna likes films

David Tennant was a very poplaur Doctor, the best epsodies had the brilliant John Simm in it and he seemed perfect enough for the role. But when he said he was quitting, shouldn't they just gived up there and then? This newcomer dosen't have a lot of charmsia and is far too young to be pulled down with this role. What if he only lasts for a little while and made the whole thing a flop? I'm not caring in any way but it's a shocker picking a new guy instead of the same people they kept pushing in your face saying "Oh Yeah, it's that guy!" We shall see in 2010 if he can pull it off, I would laugh if he didn't. He creeps me out, the faces says all!

Post #: 13
Really Stupid Choice. - 4/1/2009 10:13:11 AM   
crazymoviesdude

This IS one of the Beeb's flagship shows.

'Who' generally has good storylines and quite good acting, but is often let down by it's script. I always felt the charc=acters were pretty well played and fairly believable.

What the BBC have done, like The_Hat said, is continued the trend of young actors in shows, which totally need older more experienced thesps.

It's interesting. All last week I bitched about how crap this new Demons show was on ITV, and I was even surprised at how bad it was, but the script was ok, something 'Who' often flounders with and now with a 10 year old as the Doctor, I fear that this good slice of Brit-Sci-Fi will be even worse than said ITV show.

Post #: 14
Movies...NOT TV!!! - 4/1/2009 10:14:45 AM   
sagart

Not strictly movie? Not movie at all. This along with an article on LOST in the latest mag...come on guys, you're a movie mag - keep it that way.
By the way, doesn't Matt Smith look like the love child of Twilight's Robert Pattinson and Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein?

Post #: 15
wrong choice - 4/1/2009 11:05:14 AM   
meltbananastu

clearly bill bailey was the brave, experimental choice, but once again the bbc have played it safe and brought in someone bound to appeal to the new dr who fanbase of pre-teen girls in dalek pyjama's. real shame. i'm sure he'll be good, dont get me wrong, its just he appears to have the same charismatic personality as every other slightly kooky tv star recently, a bit jumpy, a bit geeky but with enigmatic hair and a way with words. still, at least they didnt choose some 3 foot quadraplegic belgian dwarf in an effort to be politically correct.

Post #: 16
Give him a chance! - 4/1/2009 11:10:32 AM   
littlechris

I'll admit I was pretty underwhelmed when I found out, but I was also underwhelmed when they replaced Eccleston with Tennant and I ended up loving him. Plus if they'd had John Simm would have probably involved some shit explanation about how 'The Master can also be the Doctor!'

Post #: 17
Who Cares...? - 4/1/2009 11:34:58 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Dostor Who Gives a Shit?

Post #: 18
RE: Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who - 4/1/2009 11:55:01 AM   
hamsolo77

Horatio, I will end up seeing the spirit at some point however my point was, that Empire is a film website/publication and therefore it should prioritise film reviews (for film that are already on general release) over and above news articles about television programmes (no matter what the TV show).

Post #: 19
I like him. - 4/1/2009 12:00:43 PM   
Mr. Chumba

Never heard of him before but I like him. I love David Tennant but give this guy a chance. Well you movie-fans don't really get a say in this I'm afraid. I'm a massive Doctor Who fan as well as a movie fan so... My favourite of your comments is

"Dostor Who Gives a Shit?"

Um... About a 6 Million strong fan base and them on top of that about 10 Million casual viewers. And apart from that any newspaper reader who's British. Cleared that up? Fact.

Post #: 20
RE: Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who - 4/1/2009 12:54:07 PM   
captainrentboy

There's one big problem with him, and that is that he's distractingly hideous to look at.
It's the sort of ugliness that would totally take me out of whatever fantastic plot was occurring in a Doctor Who episode...
I don't watch Doctor Who, I think it's bloody awful, but at least I can actually look at Tennant's over acting for more than 10 seconds without wanting to puke all over myself.
...Good luck Matt

Post #: 21
Doctor Who Cares??? - 4/1/2009 1:11:18 PM   
davejford

Lets be honest. Who really cares who the new Doctor is??? It is one of the most tedious shows ever created!!!

Post #: 22
RE: Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who - 4/1/2009 1:11:23 PM   
elab49

Oops - not sure someone's posted in the right forum!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 23
- 4/1/2009 1:38:10 PM   
SWOTBM

never really been into the whole doctor who thing, but just thought i would say that i saw matt smith in a play about a year ago in london, i think it was ''swimming with sharks'' and it had christian slater in it as well (also helen baxendale come to think of it, though she had a really dodgy accent going on). the play being set in hollywood and exposing its ''darker'' side, i thought that smith was ok, but he was pretty much in the shadow of slater imo...

Post #: 24
Wait and see... - 4/1/2009 1:47:27 PM   
gsharpe

I think we should just wait and see. He doesn't have the same infectious charisma as Tennant (from that interview anyway) but we should give him a chance. Looks like him + Steven Moffat want to move us in a totally new direction. Which is good. Remember the shift in tone from Eccleston to Tennant?

Post #: 25
- 4/1/2009 1:56:30 PM   
Eomer_King

I'm bemused by the hype surrounding Doctor Who. It's cheap, it's tedious and contains some of the hammiest acting on TV. What a waste of time.

Post #: 26
- 4/1/2009 2:02:58 PM   
sweetladybrick

Well that's all when and good, but Dr. Who's a bit rubbish really. It's camp, it's got that awful tv cgi thing going on, and it's a tad out-dated. Eccleston offered something new, Tennant was family fun but it's just not really that good a show, is it? No, it's not. And also, it's TV news. I think the BBC can plug itself, what with it's TV liscence assassins hiding in our sofas.

Post #: 27
Young does not always equal good... - 4/1/2009 2:27:38 PM   
The Voice of Fate

The last "young" Dr Who (Davidson) caused the greatest crash of viewing figures Dr Who has ever experienced - and ultimately started the decline and fall last time around.

I really hope that Matt has hidden talent - probably - really, really, really well hidden talents - because so far he comes across as a not particulalry excited to be here kid of the "dude" generation.

It's getting to be a shorter step from the wonder of Dr Who to the dross of kiddie shows Merlin, Demons and Primeval...

I'll wait and see, but my heart is getting heavier.

Post #: 28
- 4/1/2009 3:30:23 PM   
Rizla

My God he's ugly. The only thing I can think of is that they must have gotten him incredibly cheaply.

Post #: 29
Give him a chance - 4/1/2009 3:36:18 PM   
oakford

I don't get why people are coming on here saying how much they hate the show, you really don't have to watch it, and you don't have to fill up the comments board with generic closed minded comments! Doctor Who makes a change from the reality based, celebrity obsessed dross thats on TV at the moment, as for him not being 'pretty' well I am glad, would they rather Ant & bloody Dec be the Doctor and his companion instead?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Matt Smith Is New Doctor Who Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI