Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 28/4/2009 10:48:58 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

91) Quantum of Solace (Marc Forster, 2008) (2.5)
Now this is disgusting. 1 star less than Vicky Christina Barcelona?

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 1981
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 28/4/2009 10:51:04 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

It was rubbish though. And I love the Bond films.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1982
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 28/4/2009 10:57:12 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

It was a non-nonsense high-octane chase thriller. Certainly 'fresh', to use RT's terminology.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 1983
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 28/4/2009 11:02:54 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

As a Bond fanatic I was utterly disappointed with this poorly characterised and poorly scripted film. Apart the opening car chase and a vintage Bond scene in which Bond clatters a guy in a grungy hotel only to clean himself down afterwoods, its a standard Hollywood action film. Forster tries to dress it up with parallel cutting sequences, but it falls short of ridiculous. The villains as well as the plot are sub-standard for a Bond film and if not for Craigs outstanding presense it would be easily forgotton.
Vicky, Christina ... on the other hand was a charming, well scripted, well characterised movie. Allen gives us old fashioned humour which we haven't seen in years with some elegant music choices and divine cinemtography. The narration is a bit needless if a bit cliche and it does struggle to end in a sufficient manor.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1984
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 28/4/2009 11:04:09 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

6) The Small Back Room (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1949) (5)

Glad you approve. I dashed out to the shops Monday so I could purchase it first day. What a glorious and tense thriller this is.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1985
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 9:25:56 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkers101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982) 9.5/10

Bergman's final film to appear in the cinema might be his magnum opus, and a collection of the themes he examined in his marvellous career and almost, just almost, his best. I saw the 300-minute director's cut (seen as a miniseries), and never in that long running the film was less than engaging. Life, death, happiness, misery, family, separation, faith, hypocrisy, God, the presence of God, love, hatred, kindness, cruelty, dreams, the persona are themes in the film, making sure that in the long running, it is never one-bit boring. This is a tale about the family Edkhal family, their grief and happiness, but then the film becomes more subjective, as fantasy and reality mix up together, and become almost inseparable, especially towards the end in a sequence involving escape and Ismael. The films focus is never truly clear, it passes the first hour and the half focusing on the family, the next three on the Alexander, Fanny and their mother being trapped under the trappings of the Bishop Vergerus.

It might also be at the same time his most light-hearted since Wild Strawberries and at times his most powerful since Winter Light. The family dinner is full of warmth, the scene were one member dies is a great moment in Bergman, the children see through a slightly open door their father in a coffin, while the mother screams and cries in mounring moving from one place to another. Sven Nyksit's cinemtaography is beautiful as usual. The house of the Edkhal is exhuberant, full of life and expressive, aslmost heaven. The house of the Bishop is almost a prison and the dominant colour a dull greyish white. Compared to the colourful Edkhal house, it is Hell. Music is wonderfully used, and a dream sequence might be one of the most moving things I've seen recently. The film climaxes in a strange, mysterious moment involing Alexander and a man/woman Ismael, another great moment in the director's career, and his most mysterious.

Of course, acting is marvellous all round, something necessary when working with a director like Bergman who used cole-ups so much. Stand-out is Jan Malmsjo as the Bishop. A nasty piece of work, he is cold-blooded, hypocritic, jelous, and possibly psychotic, yet the performance is never done in hysterics or theatrics like per say, Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal, he feels strangely human, an evil, sick, disturbed human being. Sadly it has some flaws, a plot involving one member of the Edkhla family Carl teating his kind wife, with the amount of cruelty to make thew priest of Winter Light feel uneasy goes nowhere, there seems to be a lack of focus in the plot at times. This flaws kinda prevent it from becoming his best. But damn it, it is close.

You seen Persona, Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal?

Yes I did. Persona is fantastically experimental film, with shines of brilliance but I somehwat didn't find myself engaged in the last 30 minutes. Wild Strawberries is one of my favourite films ever ever and The Seventh Seal is a great film, and surprisingly light in tone, I expected something really powerful, I got an entertianing very well thought but somewhat light-hearted (compared to films like Virgin Spring, Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers and the "Faith Trilogy").

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 1986
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 9:48:04 AM   
Piles

Great Train Robbery, the (1903, Edward S Porter)

In 1903, Edward S Porter released upon the world what is now the earliest surviving western film, "the Great Train Robbery”. Of course, it's influential for being the first film of the genre to break out into the world and revolutionize the film world, brining a new brand of folk lore to our screens for the first time. But it was also influential for other reasons. The editing itself is very simple, and most of the scenes consist of one shot from a single camera angle, and the story is very linear, but it was also one of the first – and oldest surviving – narrative movies ever made, although it does often dwell on scenes that would have looked pretty or interesting to an audience still getting use to cinema as a form of art or fiction. It's also famous for its closing shot of a gun being fired directly at the screen, which alarmed audiences so much that many of them fled from the auditoriums in shock or fear. It's also famous for its introduction of Broncho Billy Anderson to the world, who became the first star of the Western genre. Starring in literally hundreds of western shorts after the revolutionary "Great Train Robbery”, he became just as iconic in his time as John Wayne or James Stewart were in the 50s. 3/5.

The Lucky Dog (1921, Jesse Robbins)

Again, childhood favouritism comes into play here, not particularly for this film (which I only saw a few weeks ago), but for the double act that was spawned from it. Laurel and Hardy are perhaps the greatest double act who ever lived, and "the Lucky Dog” was their first film as a duo. Although it's not really an outing for them as a double act, the film has both of them starring separately in it, and they do have a couple of scenes together. The plot sees Laurel, a hapless and poor dog lover, meet a young girl who shares his enthusiasm for dogs. Hardy is a bandit who holds his future partner up, and ends up teaming with the girl's ex to get Laurel out of the picture. The plot is secondary to those two key scenes when Laurel and Hardy are on screen together, because the impact that it would have on comedy, both silent and modern, is plain for all to see. Almost every comedian since Laurel and Hardy's amazing string of films (you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one) cites them as an influence on their work, and you feel that if it wasn't for this film – where they're paired up at random – then the face of modern comedy would be very different now. That may be a sweeping, pretentious statement, but I feel it's one that is apt. The film itself settles in the good-not-great region of the double act's work, and its importance does outweigh its quality quite considerably, but there is plenty here to enjoy. Laurel is doing an almost Keaton-esque shtick, with straw boater and all, but the character that he would later embody for most of his career is still here to see (hapless, lovable moron whose quirky charms make him infinitely likable). Hardy is little more than a supporting character, but his impressive physical presence – couple with the fantastic comedy with Stan Laurel – mark this film out for a must see for fans of Laurel and Hardy, silent film, or comedy as a whole. 3/5.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008, Mark Herman)

As a minor fan of the book (I've only read it once, a while ago, and only remember the title and the fact that I enjoyed it), I'm surprised that I hadn't seen the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas's movie adaptation yet. I certainly enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the correct word. It's the story of Bruno (Asa Butterfield), whose father (Daniel Thewlis) is a high-ranking Nazi in charge of a concentration camp. Whilst exploring the back garden, Bruno stumbles upon a fence that seperates his house from the camp, or the farm as he calls it. There he meets Shmuel (Jack Scanlon), a Jewish boy who Bruno sparks up a friendship with. For the first half, I wasn't really sure that the film was handling its tough, emotional themes very well. It often oversimplified things, with the Nazis shouting obscenities all the time like cartoon characters. But, perhaps that's the point, because the film is from Bruno's perspective, who just doesn't understand the motives or the forces at play. There are good points to this aspect of these themes, including the quick and swift conversion of Bruno's sister, Gretel (Amber Beattie), into one of the Hitler youth, which is shocking and often quite frightening, but at times you wish some of the nazis and the jews were just a little better characterized. The climax, though, is as frighteningly harrowing as it attempts to be, and the image of the gas masked Nazi tipping the fatal ingredient into the gas chamber had the room full of people I was watching with in tears. The drama is tangible, and although Vera Farminga's awfully over-the-top performance does detract slightly from the proceedings, it's still a dark and troublesome climax that stays true to its downbeat source. Points are detracted because of Farminga, though. She's just awful in this. 3/5.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 1987
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 11:25:24 AM   
Piles

Pigeon Army, do the five stars mean you've seen the Holy Grail six times in your life, or six times in this year alone?? If the latter, that's some good going.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1988
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 1:15:00 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Pigeon Army, do the five stars mean you've seen the Holy Grail six times in your life, or six times in this year alone?? If the latter, that's some good going.

Six times in my life. It's the movie I've watched the most number of times in my life since buying it on DVD when I was 15, though Jarhead, American Beauty, The Matrix, and, um, Evolution (loved it when I was younger, a guilty pleasure today) come close.

Anyway, some new reviews, to distract me from my criminal law study!

54. Rebel Without A Cause (1955, Ray) - 4.5/5
James Dean is the film's biggest merit, putting in a blistering and painfully human lead performance as middle-class teen Jim Stark, and while he's twenty million times cooler than I will ever be, his tale of a dysfunctional home is surprisingly relatable up to a point (y'know, I didn't see someone get killed in a game of Chickie Run and I never got to hang around in an abandoned mansion with a young Natalie Wood, so yeah).  The writing is impeccable and the performances are all very excellent, and Ray taps into the teen angst running through every line without overselling it or making it seem trite. Sure, it's dated a bit, but a lot of it is still pretty relevant - the kids who don't feel 'understood', the adults who can't understand them (it may be a mistake within the film, but one of the best moments is at the end, when the police officer who prides himself on his rapport with kids gets out the megaphone at the planetarium, and instead of talking to Plato, he yells the time-honoured "It's the police! Come out with your hands clasped above your head!"), and the general sense of aimlessness teenage life comes with. And it looks amazing for an early colour film.

133. Marie Antoinette (2006, Coppola) - 3.5/5
As someone who loved both The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation, Sofia Coppola's third film disappointed me somewhat. It's got some pretty damn good performances - Dunst channels the teenager-out-of-her-depth thing well, even if her American accent grates, and Jason Schwartzmann, Rose Byrne and Steve Coogan are all good value - and it is brilliantly shot and has great music to go with it, but the whole thing feels a little silly and inconsequential, and the film is rushed in the second half. Also, the trivialisation of the French Revolution is a bit of a dubious decision, and some great actors are horribly underused - Shirley Henderson, Judy Davis and Molly Shannon all suffer at the hands of the editor, in particular. Hopefully her next film with Stephen Dorff will see her back on top form.

170. Listen to Me (1989, Day Stewart) - 2.5/5*
Every year, we watch this at our Debating Society, and it never gets old. Kirk Cameron is hilariously inept as the down-home Oklahoma boy trying to make it big (WITH DEBATING! HAH!), Jami Gertz shows once again that she can't be relied on to emote effectively, particularly with her big, outrageous anti-abortion speech at the end (it's wrong for a number of reasons, both in terms of ideology and in terms of debate craft), Tim Quill is unnecessarily sleazy and OTT as their idol, Garson McKellar, and Roy Scheider sleepwalks through a mentor role. The film makes an absolute hash of representing debating on screen accurately (changing your argument halfway through a debate? Using personal anecdotes? Debating the team and not the issue? Lying? Hefting around boxes of index cards and files instead of paper? Bringing out new arguments and information in your leader's reply? It's ridiculous how awful it is in presenting the sport), and the subplots outside of it are equally ham-handed. The use of power ballads is trashily inspired, and the script is clunky and horrible - and yet, the film manages to achieve a sort of demented genius. It's hilariously awful - a turkey, but an entertaining one nonetheless.

I'm going to leave you with some pearls from the script you might enjoy -
  • "Son, you've got to stop thinking about what you want, and start thinking about what I want. That's called manhood."
  • "A few years ago, I thought the rich were evil and heartless, and I thought females were the bad guys in the battle of the sexes. But then I came to Kentmont, and I met someone who taught me that rich people have problems too."
  • "Don't listen to her, she's crazy. She thinks I've done things to her I haven't." "What will she tell me?" "Hah, she'll say I tried to rape her."
  • [Roy Scheider, talking to a girl with braces on her legs.] "You know, a lot of people like you I know seek sympathy." "Well, I don't want your sympathy. [Girl proceeds to take three minutes telling us exactly how she started walking again, thus getting everyone's sympathy.] So I don't need your fucking sympathy!"
  • [Kirk Cameron has just walked in on his roomie, Garson, having sex.] Kirk: "You know, I can leave." Garson: "No, no, we'll finish up here." Mya: "You know, we could back to my room..." Garson: "No, I have to meet my new roommate." [That last line is said completely seriously.]
Performance List Additions
James Dean as Jim Stark (Rebel Without A Cause, 1955)

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 29/4/2009 1:18:10 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1989
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 6:30:11 PM   
Epiphany Demon

This will take me way too long to review each one, so for those who haven't seen my list for a while, this is what's gone up there!

1. Goodfellas (Scorsese, 1990) - Apr
2. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Forman, 1975) - * Jan
3. In Bruges (McDonagh, 2008) - **** Jan
5. Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet, 1975) - Feb
6. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994) - *** Apr
7. Miller's Crossing (Coen & Coen, 1990) - Mar
8. Dead Man's Shoes (Meadows, 2004) - * Jan
9. Toy Story 2 (Lasseter, Unkrich & Brannon, 1999) - **** Apr
10. The Big Lebowski (Coen & Coen,1998) - ** Apr
11. Watchmen (Snyder, 2009) - Mar
12. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008) - Feb
13. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (Marshall Thurber, 2004) - *** Apr
16. Hot Fuzz (Wright, 2007) - Feb ****
18. Adaptation (Jonze, 2002) - Feb
19. Eastern Promises (Cronenberg, 2007) - Mar
20. Glengarry Glen Ross (Foley, 1992) - Feb
21. Some Like It Hot (Wilder, 1959) - Feb
22. Snatch (Ritchie, 2000) - * Feb
25. Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (Ritchie, 1998) - Mar
26. Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny (Lynch, 2006) - ** Feb
27. Burn After Reading (Coen & Coen, 2008) - * Feb
28. Man On The Moon (Forman, 1999) - Mar
30. The Game (Fincher, 1997) - Apr
32. Amadeus (Forman, 1984) - Jan
33. Zoolander (Stiller, 2001) - *** Apr
39. American Psycho (Harron, 2000) - Apr
40. Lakeview Terrace (LaBute, 2008) - Apr
41. Son Of Rambow (Jennings, 2007) - Mar
42. Rocknrolla (Ritchie, 2008) - Mar
43. Crank (Neveldine & Taylor, 2006) - * Apr
44. Shine A Light (Scorsese,2008) - Apr
48. Wanted (Bekmambetov, 2008) - Feb
49. Tropic Thunder (Stiller, 2008) - Mar
55. How To Lose Friends And Alienate People (Weide, 2008) - Feb
56. Unbreakable (Shyamalan, 2000) - Feb
57. To Kill A Mockingbird (Mulligan, 1962) - * Mar
59. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Oz, 1988) -  *
Apr
60. Ghost Town (Koepp, 2008) Mar
61. Hatchet (Green, 2007) - Mar
62. Speed Racer (Wachowski & Wachowski, 2008) - Jan
64. Monsters vs. Aliens (Vernon & Letterman, 2009) - Apr
65. Donkey Punch (Blackburn, 2008) - Feb
67. Funny Games (Haneke, 2007) - Feb

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1990
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 7:26:32 PM   
Deviation

Arabian Nights (Pier Patro Pasolini, 1974) 7.5/10

Before the controversial Salo, Pasolini did a trilogy of life, each film based on books which were stories with stories within them, they composed part of his Trilogy of Life, which though as sexually graphic as Salo, were basically the opposite of Salo. These were the works of Boccaccio, Chaucer and in this one, the 1001 Nights. In the book, a wife narrates her king to prevent her from being executed. From the first minute Pasolini ditches this and makes it the tale of a slave girl who is separated from her master, (who she chooses) it follows their sepration, their erotic adventures, their serach for each other and of course other stories if other characters. Obviously we have a story-within-a-story narrative, and thankfully most of the stories are engaging, some quite moving, some actually funny, some actually erotic and some fantastical. Cinematography is wonderful and the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is wonderful. Pasolini keeps the tale narrated surprising well, and his filmic "poetry" is as stunning as usual.  It never is confusing and never a hard watch. There are problems, well mostly one big one, the acting. Only two performances are actually good, the rest of the cast is very weak, and even though I saw it in Italian it seemed dubbed. Also, in a film with so much stunning locations, why is one sequence in the desert so fake looing, obviously a matte painting. It's not as good as Satyricon, but a good film nonetheless.

And not to watch with Grandma.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1991
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 29/4/2009 11:34:51 PM   
chris_scott01

Added (just in order that I watched them, not ranked):

Osaka Elegy
(1936, Kenji Mizoguchi)
Sisters of the Gion
(1936, Kenji Mizoguchi)
The Player
(1992, Robert Altman)
Tickets
(2005, Ermanno Olmi, Abbas Kiarostami, Ken Loach)
A Prairie Home Companion
(2006, Robert Altman)
Women of the Night
(1948, Kenji Mizoguchi)
Dodes’ka-den
(1970, Akira Kurosawa)
To Catch A Thief
(1954, Alfred Hitchcock)

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1992
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 9:11:03 AM   
elab49

Une femme Mariee (Godard, 1964)

I thought I'd try a Godard I was positive I'd never seen and as this turned up on my rental immediately after release that seemed to be a good sign. I'm sorry though – Godard fans will probably not want to read this. They certainly won't agree but I think we're at an impasse with that.

Essentially a woman over 24 hours flips between husband and lover. We know there are differing power relationships on view because we see the hands – lover covers hers, her covers husband then hers covers lovers. Wow – how very revealing. Like an inept film version of rock papers scissors. Subtle – nope.

The lead – I knew she must have been a model without checking afterwards. She might have learnt acting in what seems to be a long career, but she can't at this stage. The 1/3rd of the film she doesn't spend being groped naked, she spends posing for the camera, playing with her hair and voguing her face. At no point does any trace of emotion pass across her beautiful face – wouldn't want wrinkles, would we dear?

You feel no empathy for these people and Godard seems incapable or scared of trying to introduce actual emotion into the scenario. He doesn't really trust his 'actors' with a lot – they say what they feel or think or would like to do in essay like detail – better directors might get their actors to show us instead of needing the step-by-step because they are capable of nothing else. Having recently rewatched Spring in a Small Town it is clear that as an examination of 3 people in a marriage this is an extremely immature film from someone you'd have trouble believing has ever had a proper relationship or seen people in one. This comes across as written by a sixth former – the geeky one in the corner who thinks wearing polonecks and smoking thin ciggies makes him a sophisticated intellectual. Oh, and that throwing rape in a couple of times is either edgy or, more worrying, irrelevant. It features a common problem in Godard films where he abandons actual dialogue and has his actors give his latest essay to camera. The real actors try to make it work – make it look as if they are thinking of what they are saying and trying to say it naturally, but it doesn't remotely work. They end up looking like they are reading the latest thoughts of the genius like good little boys and girls. As she interviews her lover from off-camera and he spouts pointless rubbish about defending himself as a man and actor and ponders the question is there a difference between life and theatre. Again, a good writer and director would show that on screen. Not have someone give a cribbed answer in a poorly structured monologue. Or drag a kid out of bed to talk utter rubbish to camera.

The set is odd – although the camerawork outside does make it seem like it is an actual flat – no doubt the round about and in and out camerawork a nod to Ophuls, but inside it looks like a badly dressed box as opposed to a living space. This isn't just a design thing or I've missed some metaphor for an empty marriage. It just doesn't ring true.

Afterwards I read some gubbins about this being some kind of examination of a powerful career woman controlling the men in her life. Does she have a job? There is reference to work and some kind of vague photoshoot thing where a pointless negative technique is used, but the lead comes across as too dim to have any kind of high-powered career unless it is the lightly drawn type so beloved of writers like Candace Bushnell.

Which brings me to the final point – I bet she loves this film. Because it is full of those pointless cod-aphorisms that structure her main show – but people have no problem seeing that as tosh but this high art? Why? Because Bradshaw isn't saying it we just get panning across magazine titles?  

But it is rated so highly. Obviously I don't want to suggest that these predominantly older male critics have been somewhat swayed by around 40 minutes of a beautiful woman being groped or wondering round feeling her breasts into thinking it must be deep because they've enjoyed it so much. But pretending this is some kind of consumerist take on then modern women is laughable, just because we get lots of shots of magazines and half of them talk as if they are reading magazine surveys.

The most disturbing part of the film is the continued reference to concentration camps. Now I could accept that maybe he'd just heard of them and didn't understand what really happened. But there seems to be some very worrying equivalence going on here, along with the incomprehensible story told by one of the characters. Very off.

You know, new techniques are all very well. But it'd help if you could make a decent film with them.  

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/5/2009 9:11:05 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 1993
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 11:24:36 AM   
Piles

The Red Shoes (1948, Powell and Pressburger)

The Archers' epic, sprawling opus about love and dance stars Moira Shearer as Victoria Page, a young dancer who manages to score lessons with Boris Lermontov's (Anton Wallbrook) dance school. She's an instant hit, and eventually dances to world wide acclaim, particularly in the ballet 'the Red Shoes'. But when she falls for the company's composer Julian Crastner (Marius Goring), things begin to go wrong. I really enjoyed the Red Shoes, especially its sprawling scope. It gives a sense of grandeur to the subject of ballet, something that wouldn't usually get such a treatment. It's a beautiful film, and perhaps P+P's most visually arresting film that I've seen. The dance sequence, in particular, where the young Page finally gets up on stage and dances the Red Shoes, is visually breathtaking. An explosion of colour and art, all played out with an awe-inspiring technicality and physical precision, the sequence is the film's best. The characters are all well drawn too, particularly Wallbrook's Lermontov, who goes a long way in matching his performance in my personal Powell and Pressburger favourite, the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. But the star is Moira Shearer as Page, a girl forced to choose between her two loves; dancing and her husband, Crastner. Beautifully written with a downbeat ending that suggests if she can't have both she would prefer neither, P+P's sprawling dance epic is a joy to watch. It's only downfall is the sheer length, and the luvvy attitude of some of the characters, which sometimes annoyed me, but other than that I was riveted from start to finish. 4/5.

Longitude (2000, Charles Sturridge)

Longitude is a TV film released in two parts, but viewed here in its full, three-hour version it's a sprawling epic that wouldn't be out of place on the big screen. It shows parralel stories of John Harrison, the man who worked on the first clock that could keep time at sea and thus calculate longtitude safely and efficiently, and Rupert Gould, the man who championed him and refurbished his derelict clocks.Yes, watched all at once Longtitude may seem like an overlong and sometimes repetitive film, but there's no questioning how undeniably interesting it is. This man, fighting against everything from old age to governmental disdain, fights on in order to discover something that he knows will make the world - and particularly the Brittish empire - a better place to live. Gould, too, has this determination in order to champion a forgotten hero, fighting through divorce and mental problems to bring Harrison to the forefront of public thought. And, obviously, that's what the film is about; determination. It's a story of Brittish grit, and how Harrison could have given up many, many times thanks to the unhelpfulness of others. But he didn't, and eventually he succeeded in his life work. The film is helped out by performances, particularly those of Michael Gambon (who I believe won a Bafta TV award for his portrayal of Harrison), and Jeremy Irons, but able support is supplied by Ian Hart, Brian Cox, and Tim McInnery. You can also play spot the minor TV star, because an unhealthy amount of them show up here, including Stephen Fry and Minty off'f Eastenders. It's very, very long though, and the last hour is awfully repetitive and often frustrating, pulling it down a few notches from the opus it could very easily have been. 3/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 30/4/2009 11:26:59 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1994
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 1:27:54 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

Dodes'ka-den (1970, Akira Kurosawa)

I take it for granted you enjoyed the Mizoguchi films which I haven't seen yet but interested to hear what you made of this.For me it was far better than I expected,some of it I thought brillliant and I llike how it's structured but it's far from perfect.For example the storyline with Kunie Tanaka being just comletely uninteresting,

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 1995
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 3:33:05 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

I'm sorry though – Godard fans will probably not want to read this. They certainly won't agree but I think we're at an impasse with that.

Advice taken.

Actually, I haven't seen it anyway, so I couldn't defend it. All I really know about it is that it is a film that attacks the modern commercial world's superficial attitude towards women, and it has an extended, unconnected voice-over or something along those lines. And that it was written, filmed and edited in a month, which is remarkable. I guess the Masters of Cinema DVD is out now, then?

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 30/4/2009 3:36:00 PM >

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1996
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 3:41:43 PM   
elab49

I do hope you enjoy the film, JBG. All I can say is I've been as honest as I can.

I think it came out on Monday, as it went straight on then off my list. There isn't much of a voice over but I should have mentioned that it also annoying. For parts of the film you hear her wittering whispering thoughts. There isn't much of it though.

Most of it consists of longish single takes and it covers a period of 24 hours. And as she is undressed and/or being groped with just the camera looking at her for much of that I'm not really surprised it didn't take long to shoot.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/4/2009 3:44:41 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 1997
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 3:48:37 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

I do hope you enjoy the film, JBG. All I can say is I've been as honest as I can.

Well, I hope I do enjoy it as well.  It's a pretty minor Godard, which is why the release has been so long coming (I think only Les Carabiniers, his war film that was roasted by nearly every right wing-leaning critic at the time, is the only other 60's film which is near unavailable with English subs). But I still think the idea of him doing it all in a month, from writing to delievering it to the Venice festival, is amazing- that must be even faster than Fassbinder was turning them out. Not sure what it'll be like, though- Colin MacCabe called it a masterpiece in his Godard book, but the response seems even more split than normal, overall.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1998
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 6:21:47 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

Having recently rewatched Spring in a Small Town it is clear that as an examination of 3 people in a marriage this is an extremely immature film from someone you'd have trouble believing has ever had a proper relationship

Just got round to properly reading you review and this made me laugh out loud.It's been so long since I saw Un femme marie that I can't possibly comment on it other than to say at the time I saw it I enjoyed it more than you. I'm certainly going to give it another go now the new MoC release is out.There was a time when I really liked Godard but other than certain films which still stand up for me,it seems that the older I get the closer I get to sharing your view on his films.Relatively recent films like Éloge de l'amour and Notre musique for the most part just left me cold.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1999
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 7:30:17 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri

There was a time when I really liked Godard but other than certain films which still stand up for me,it seems that the older I get the closer I get to sharing your view on his films.

Mmmm - so if maybe we hang around here for another 20 years or so JBG might grow out of it too? Interesting thought

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 2000
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 8:00:11 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

There was a time when I really liked Godard but other than certain films which still stand up for me,it seems that the older I get the closer I get to sharing your view on his films.

Mmmm - so if maybe we hang around here for another 20 years or so JBG might grow out of it too? Interesting thought

Fuck no.  Although thanks to you I now have images of it now being like a stage of teenage rebellion, before you settle down and support David Cameron/Stanley Kramer. Ugh.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2001
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 8:23:21 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

Fuck no.  Although thanks to you I now have images of it now being like a stage of teenage rebellion, before you settle down and support David Cameron/Stanley Kramer. Ugh.

The seeds of doubt are planted.

Mission accomplished.

quote:

Post #: 2002
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 8:34:19 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mission accomplished.

I maybe wrong, but did you just imply there was a chance I could vote for David Cameron sometime in the future?

I consider that a personal, hurtful insult!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2003
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 9:05:05 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mission accomplished.

I maybe wrong, but did you just imply there was a chance I could vote for David Cameron sometime in the future?

David Cameron is the man. Look at his trendy haircut and suits!

Post #: 2004
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 9:13:37 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

Excuse me but weren't you the one implying I might vote Tory.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 30/4/2009 9:15:23 PM >

Post #: 2005
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 9:15:34 PM   
elab49

Nought wrong with Defiant Ones, Inherit the Wind or Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 2006
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/4/2009 9:19:11 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

Excuse me but weren't you the one implying I might vote Tory.

Reading that back now, I see what you mean. I don't know how to apologise for such a huge insult.  Of course, if you are a tory, can I please have all your personal details, so I can come round your house and beat you up with a copy of Das Kapital.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 2007
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/5/2009 6:45:39 AM   
Pigeon Army

Kudos on the review, elab. Brilliant and humourous.

Right, here's my stats for April!

01.    Synecdoche, New York (2008, Kaufman) – 4.5/5
02.    American Psycho (2000, Harron) – 4.5/5*
03.    F For Fake (1974, Welles) – 4.5/5
04.    Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) (1948, De Sica)- 4.5/5
05.    Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator to the Gallows) (1958, Malle) – 4.5/5*
06.    Fitzcarraldo (1982, Herzog) – 4.5/5
07.    Rebel Without a Cause (1955, Ray) – 4.5/5

08.    Thelma & Louise (1991, Scott) – 4.5/5
09.    Biyeolhan geori (A Dirty Carnival) (2006, Yu) - 4/5
10.    Dip huet seung hung (The Killer) (1989, Woo) – 4/5

11.    Ugetsu monogatari (Ugetsu) (1953, Mizoguchi) – 4/5
12.    Stickmen (2001, Rothwell) – 4/5
13.    Bande à part (Band of Outsiders) (1964, Godard) – 4/5
14.    Unforgiven (1992, Eastwood) – 4/5
15.    The Cooler (2003, Kramer) – 4/5
16.    American Gangster (Extended Cut) (2007, Scott) – 4/5*
17.    Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot the Piano Player) (1960, Truffaut) – 4/5
18.    Alien (1979, Scott) – 4/5
19.    Black Hawk Down (2001, Scott) – 4/5
20.    Sun cheung sau (The Sniper) (2009, Lam) – 4/5

21.    Erin Brockovich (2000, Soderbergh) – 4/5
22.    Catch-22 (1970, Nichols) – 4/5
23.    The Boat That Rocked (2009, Curtis) – 4/5
24.    A Perfect World (1993, Eastwood) – 4/5
25.    Get Smart (2008, Segal) – 4/5
26.    1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992, Scott) – 3.5/5 
27.    Marie Antoinette (2006, Coppola) – 3.5/5

28.    Southland Tales (2006, Kelly) – 3.5/5
29.    The Last Magic Show (2007, Conlan) – 3.5/5
30.    Phörpa (The Cup) (1999, Norbu) – 3.5/5

31.    The Paper (1994, Howard) – 3.5/5
32.    The Transporter (2002, Yuen) – 3.5/5
33.    Le mépris (Contempt) (1963, Godard) – 3.5/5
34.    It Happened One Night (1934, Capra) – 3/5
35.    Prénom Carmen (First Name: Carmen) (1983, Godard) – 3/5
36.    Transporter 2 (2005, Leterrier) – 3/5 
37.    Listen To Me (1989, Day Stewart) – 2.5/5*

38.    Dragonball: Evolution (2009, Wong) – 2.5/5
39.    Lone Wolf McQuade (1983, Carver) – 2.5/5
40.    High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008, Ortega) – 2/5

SHORT FILMS
01.   A Ninja Pays Half My Rent (2003, Tsuchida) – 4/5

Decade Breakdown
00s - 19
90s - 06 
80s - 05
70s - 03
60s - 03
50s - 03
40s - 01
30s - 01
20s - 00
10s - 00
1900s - 00

Top 20 Performances of April 2009
01.    Klaus Kinski as Brian Sweeney ‘Fitzcarraldo’ Fitzgerald (Fitzcarraldo, 1982)
02.    Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman (American Psycho, 2000)
03.    Lamberto Maggiorani as Antonio Ricci (The Bicycle Thief, 1948)
04.    Philip Seymour Hoffman as Caden Cotard (Synecdoche, New York, 2008)
05.    James Dean as Jim Stark (Rebel Without a Cause, 1955)
06.    Samantha Morton as Hazel (Synecdoche, New York, 2008)
07.    Jeanne Moreau as Florence Carala (Elevator to the Gallows, 1958)
08.    Morgan Freeman as Ned Logan (Unforgiven, 1992)
09.    Enzo Staiola as Bruno Ricci (The Bicycle Thief, 1948)
10.    Alan Arkin as Capt. John Yossarian (Catch-22, 1970)

11.    Alec Baldwin as Shelley Kaplow (The Cooler, 2003)
12.    Chow Yun-Fat as Ah Jong (The Killer, 1989)
13.    Susan Sarandon as Louise (Thelma & Louise, 1991)
14.    In-seong Jo as Kim Byung-doo (A Dirty Carnival, 2006)
Maria Bello as Natalie Belisario (The Cooler, 2003)
16.    Gene Hackman as Little Bill Daggett (Unforgiven, 1992)
17.    Masayuki Mori as Genjuro (Ugetsu, 1953)
Michelle Williams as Claire Keen (Synecdoche, New York, 2008)
19.    Charles Aznavour as Charlie Kohler (Shoot the Piano Player, 1960)
20.    Tom Noonan as Sammy Barnathan (Synecdoche, New York, 2008)

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 1/5/2009 7:06:24 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 2008
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/5/2009 8:15:53 AM   
Harry Lime

A monthly update...

À bout de souffle (1959, Godard)
Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution (1965, Godard)
Brick (2005, Johnson)
Casque d'or (1952, Becker)
Céline et Julie vont en bateau (1974, Rivette)
Days Of Heaven (1978, Malick)
Les Diaboliques (1955, Clouzot)
F For Fake (1974, Welles)
Hobson's Choice (1953, Lean)
The Invisible Man (1933, Whale)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984, Leone)
Peeping Tom (1960, Powell)
Les quatre cents coups (1959, Truffaut)
The Quiet Man (1952, Ford)
There Will Be Blood (2007, Anderson)
Trouble In Paradise (1932, Lubitsch)
Ugetsu Monogatari (1953, Mizoguchi)
Unforgiven (1992, Eastwood)
The War Game (1965, Watkins)
When The Wind Blows (1986, Murakami)

28 Days Later... (2002, Boyle)
Les Amants (1958, Malle)
Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (1958, Malle)
Au revoir les enfants (1987, Malle)
The Cooler (2003, Kramer)
The Elephant Man (1980, Lynch)
Le deuxième souffle (1966, Melville)
Le feu follet (1963, Malle)
Hamlet (1996, Branagh)
Ice Cold In Alex (1958, Thompson)
I Love You Again (1940, Van Dyke)
In Bruges (2008, McDonagh)
It Happened One Night (1934, Capra)
Jules et Jim (1962, Truffaut)
The Killer (1989, Woo)
The Lady From Shanghai (1947, Welles)
Love Crazy (1941, Conway)
Milk (2008, Van Sant)
Network (1976, Lumet)
La Pianiste (2001, Haneke)
Pierrot le fou (1965, Godard)
Ryan's Daughter (1970, Lean)
The Spiral Staircase (1945, Siodmak)
A Taste Of Honey (1961, Richardson)
To Be Or Not To Be (1942, Lubitsch)
Touchez pas au grisbi (1954, Becker)
12 Angry Men (1957, Lumet)
Wall-E (2008, Stanton)
Written On The Wind (1956, Sirk)

Der Amerikanische Freund (1977, Wenders)
Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004, McKay)
Atlantic City (1980, Malle)
Before Sunrise (1995, Linklater)
Bis ans Ende der Welt (1991, Wenders)
Changeling (2008, Eastwood)
Cloverfield (2008, Reeves)
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008, Fincher)
Frost / Nixon (2008, Howard)
Gran Torino (2008, Eastwood)
Mulholland Dr. (2001, Lynch)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008, Darnell & McGrath)
Music And Lyrics (2007, Lawrence)
El Orfanato (2007, Bayona)
The Reader (2008, Daldry)
Revolutionary Road (2008, Mendes)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008, Boyle)
Spellbound (1945, Hitchcock)
Starship Troopers (1997, Verhoeven)
Tabu (1931, Murnau)
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (1995, Fleder)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008, Allen)
Vivacious Lady (1938, Stevens)
The Wrestler (2008, Aronofsky)

All In The Game (2006, O'Hanlon)
Burn After Reading (2008, Coen & Coen)
Cat Ballou (1965, Silverstein)
The Devil Wears Prada (2006, Frankel)
Doubt (2008, Shanley)
Enemy At The Gates (2001, Annaud)
Hancock (2008, Berg)
The Holiday (2006, Meyers)
The Italian Job (2003, Gray)
Kung Fu Panda (2008, Osbourne & Stevenson)
Love Affair (1939, McCarey)
Mamma Mia (2008, Lloyd)
Marley & Me (2008, Frankel)
Rachel Getting Married (2008, Demme)
Resident Evil: Extinction (2007, Mulcahy)
She's The Man (2006, Fickman)
Tropic Thunder (2008, Stiller)
Twilight (2008, Hardwicke)
Wanted (2008, Berkmambetov)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006, Ratner)
Zazie dans le métro (1960, Malle)

Alien Vs Predator - Requiem (2007, Strause & Strause)
Amityville III: The Demon (1983, Fleischer)
Halloween (2007, Zombie)
High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008, Ortega)
Nacho Libre (2006, Hess)
X Files: I Want To Believe (2008, Carter)

First Viewing

Films Viewed Per Decade

2000s - 46
1990s - 6
1980s - 7
1970s - 6
1960s - 10
1950s - 13
1940s - 6
1930s - 6
1920s - 0
1910s - 0
1900's - 0

Shorts (40 Minutes or less)

Les mistons (1957, Truffaut)

Charlotte et son Jules (1960, Godard)
Vive le tour (1962, Malle)

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 31/5/2009 10:30:17 AM >

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2009
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/5/2009 9:01:05 AM   
doncopey1

List at the end of April:

1) Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974) (5)
2) The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich, 1971)(5)
3) The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972) (5)
4) Mean Streets (Martin Scorsese, 1973) (5)
5) The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)
(5)
6) The Small Back Room (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1949) (5)
7) Triumph of the Will (Leni Riefensthal, 1935) (5)
8) Odds Against Tomorrow (Robert Wise, 1959) (5)
9) Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007) (5)
10) Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg, 1993) (5)

11) Le Samourai (Jean Pierre Melville, 1967)
(5)
12) Casino (Martin Scorsese, 1995) (5)
13) Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970) (5)
14) Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983) (5)
15) Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn, 1967) (5)
16) Badlands (Terence Malick, 1973) (5)
17) No Country For Old Men (Joel, Ethan Coen, 2007) (5)
18) McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Robert Altman, 1971) (5)
19) Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellino, 1957) (5)
20)
Bad Day at Black Rock (John Sturges, 1955) (5)

21) The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut, 1959) (5)
22) M*A*S*H (Robert Altman, 1970) (4.5)
23) Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968) (4.5)
24) Brick (Rian Johnson, 2005) (4.5)
25) Seven Men From Now (Budd Boetticher, 1956) (4.5)
26) Serpico (Sidney Lumet, 1973) (4.5)
27) The Set-Up (Robert Wise, 1949) (4.5)
28) La Maman et la Putain (Jean Eustache, 1973) (4.5)
29) Paper Moon (Peter Bogdanovich, 1973) (4)
30) Underworld U.S.A. (Samuel Fuller, 1961)(4)

31) Fear Eats the Soul (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974) (4)
32) The Man From Laramie (Anthony Mann, 1955) (4)
33) The Getaway (Sam Peckinpah, 1972) (4)
34) The Aviator (Martin Scorsese, 2004) (4)
35) The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994) (4)

36) Shampoo (Hal Ashby, 1975) (4)
37) Revolutinary Road (Sam Mendes, 2009) (4)
38) Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Martin Scorsese, 1974) (4)
39) Traffic (Steven Soderbergh, 2000) (4)
40) Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) (4)

41) The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008) (4)
42) Batman Begins (Christopher Nolan, 2004) (4)
43) Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005) (4)
44) Targets (Peter Bogdanovich, 1968) (4)
45) American Gangster (Ridley Scott, 2007) (4)
46) Milk (Gus Van Sant, 2009) (4)
47) Matchstick Men (Ridley Scott, 2003) (4)
48) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (David Fincher, 2009) (4)
49) Che Part I (Stven Soderbergh, 2009) (4)
50) The Yakuza (Sydney Pollack, 1975) (4)

51) Caught (Max Ophuls, 1949) (4)
52) The Fugitive (Andrew Davis, 1993) (4)
53) State of Play (Kevin McDonald, 2009) (4)
54) The Racket (John Cromwell, 1951) (4)
55) Oceans 11 (Steven Soderbergh, 2001) (4)
56) Tootsie (Sydney Pollack, 1982) (4)
57) Frost/Nixon (Ron Howard, 2009) (4)
58) Overboard (Garry Marshall, 1987) (3.5)
59) Gentleman's Agreement (Elia Kazan, 1947) (3.5)
60) Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle, 2009) (3.5)

61) Blood Diamond (Edward Zwick, 2006) (3.5)
62) Vicky Christina Barcelona (Woody Allen, 2009) (3.5)
63)
The Wrestler (Darren Afronsky, 2009) (3.5)
64) Che Part II (Steven Soderbergh, 2009) (3.5)
65) Snatch (Guy Ritchie, 2000) (3.5)
66) Les Enfants Terrible (Jean Pierre Melville, 1950) (3.5)
67) A Time to Kill (Joel Schumacher, 1996) (3.5)
68) Valkyrie (Bryan Singer, 2009) (3.5)
69) The Damned United (Tom Hooper, 2009) (3.5)
70) A Bout de Souffle (Jean Luc-Godard, 1959) (3)

71) Australia (Baz Luhrmann, 2008) (3)
72) Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant, 2007) (3)
73) Night Moves (Arthur Penn, 1975) (3)
74) Saboteur (Alfred Hitchcock, 1942) (3)
75) Day of the Outlaw (Andre De Toth, 1959) (3)
76) The Misfits (John Huston, 1961) (3)
77) Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer, 2000) (3)
78) 
A Few Good Men (Rob Reiner, 1993) (3)
79) Watchme
n (Zak Snyder, 2009) (3)
80) Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood, 2009) (3)

81) Swamp Water (Jean Renoir, 1941) (3)
82) The King of Marvin Gardens (Bob Rafelson, 1972) (3)
83) Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead (Stephen Herek, 1991) (3)
84) The Killers (Don Siegel, 1964) (3)
85) 8 Mile (Curtis Hanson, 2002) (3)
86) Remember the Titans (Boaz Yakin, 2000) (3)
87) Defiance (Edward Zwick, 2009) (3)
88) The True Story of Jesse James (Nicholas Ray, 1957)(2.5)
89) Godfather Part III (Francis Ford Coppola, 1991) (2.5)
90) Inherit the Wind (Stanley Kramer, 1960) (2.5)

92) Tell Them Willie Boy is Here (Abraham Polonsky, 1969) (2.5)
93) Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978) (2)
94) Alice's Restaurant (Arthur Penn, 1969) (2)
95) Bad Company (Joel Schumacher, 2002) (2)
96) The Rainmaker (Francis Ford Coppola, 1997) (2)
97) The Good German (Steven Soderbergh, 2006) (2)
98) Bronson (Nicholas Winding Refn, 2009) (2)
99) She's the Man (Andy Fickman, 2006) (2)
100) Rumble in the Bronx (Stanley Tong, 1995) (2)

101) Get Over It (Tommy O'Haver, 2001) (2)
102) Detective (Jean Luc-Godard, 1985) (1.5)
103) Duplicity (Tony Gilroy, 2009) (1.5)
104) Elizabethtown (Cameron Crowe, 2005) (1.5)

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2010
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI