Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:15:10 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

18. Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) (1948, De Sica) - 4.5/5
Vittorio De Sica's Neo-realist masterpiece obviously works on the political level that most Neo-realist films aimed to hit - there's an obvious theme running through the film of how bloody unfair it is the poor and how easy it is for people in near-poverty situations to turn to crime. However, the real triumph of this film is that it's one of the most emotionally powerful films I've ever seen, mainly thanks to the two lead performances. Lamberto Maggiorani is pitch-perfect as Antonio Ricci, a decent guy who you want to succeed in life but is continuously bitchslapped by it. For a non-professional, Maggiorani is magnificent, and shows up many professionals for shame. His performance is real, honest, likeable, and heart-wrenching - he's such a great guy, that the shit he's put through just makes your gut turn. Likewise, the unprofessional kid playing his son Bruno, Enzo Staiola, gives what must be the best child performance I've ever seen in a film, innocent and loveable but slowly, surely breaking down the innocence as the film continues. Both of their performances are incredibly layered and remarkably truthful, and the way they sell the simple but intelligent story is harrowing, sad and brilliant. Combined with the excellent cinematography and a magnificent score, De Sica's film is obviously regarded as a pinnacle of the Italian Neo-realist movement for good reason.

Just wondering what drags this down to a 4.5?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1621
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:16:56 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

I am more liberal with my ratings. Something you couldn't force me to watch no matter how bored I am is a 0. Something I can stick on any day is a 10. It leads to an uneven distribution, but I don't care

Hurray, me too. I've seen about 15 four star films (I rate from one to four, with half-stars) already this year, out of about 70.  If I have a great time watching it, it gets a 3.5 or 4.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 1622
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:18:46 AM   
MOTH

Wagon Master (John Ford, 1950)
A fun and rather gentle Western, which refreshingly tones down the gunplay for a celebration of pioneering spirit and frontier camaraderie instead. Looks lovely, chock-full of terrific characters and often very funny. And it has a scene where two men have a sort of bunny-hop dance off. And that's just cool (9/10)

Changeling (Clint Eastwood, 2008)
A powerful and affecting story, all the more so for being true. However, the characters in the film (particularly the 'bad guys', but also Collins herself to some extent) are all rather one-dimensional, despite the best efforts of Jolie, Malkovich and others, which lessens the impact it could have had. Nevertheless, Eastwood assembles the film with typical efficiency and spins a good tale as usual. (7/10)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (Jack Arnold, 1954)
A good old-fashioned monster movie, notable for some fine underwater sequences and for the even finer Julia Adams in a bathing suit. No wonder Ol' Fish Head got a serious dose of the horn! Good fun (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1623
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:25:45 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

I am more liberal with my ratings. Something you couldn't force me to watch no matter how bored I am is a 0. Something I can stick on any day is a 10. It leads to an uneven distribution, but I don't care

Hurray, me too. I've seen about 15 four star films (I rate from one to four, with half-stars) already this year, out of about 70.  If I have a great time watching it, it gets a 3.5 or 4.

Well can the people see your list Mr _7?

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1624
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:31:54 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

18. Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) (1948, De Sica) - 4.5/5
Vittorio De Sica's Neo-realist masterpiece obviously works on the political level that most Neo-realist films aimed to hit - there's an obvious theme running through the film of how bloody unfair it is the poor and how easy it is for people in near-poverty situations to turn to crime. However, the real triumph of this film is that it's one of the most emotionally powerful films I've ever seen, mainly thanks to the two lead performances. Lamberto Maggiorani is pitch-perfect as Antonio Ricci, a decent guy who you want to succeed in life but is continuously bitchslapped by it. For a non-professional, Maggiorani is magnificent, and shows up many professionals for shame. His performance is real, honest, likeable, and heart-wrenching - he's such a great guy, that the shit he's put through just makes your gut turn. Likewise, the unprofessional kid playing his son Bruno, Enzo Staiola, gives what must be the best child performance I've ever seen in a film, innocent and loveable but slowly, surely breaking down the innocence as the film continues. Both of their performances are incredibly layered and remarkably truthful, and the way they sell the simple but intelligent story is harrowing, sad and brilliant. Combined with the excellent cinematography and a magnificent score, De Sica's film is obviously regarded as a pinnacle of the Italian Neo-realist movement for good reason.

Just wondering what drags this down to a 4.5?

I very rarely give out 5/5s, and I only do that if I absolutely love a film unequivocally. I can't say I love this film unequivocally - perhaps it's a little too harsh on Antonio for me to truly find it amazing, perhaps something just didn't click - it's just not perfect for me. It's something intangible, something unquantifiable, and this didn't have it, I guess.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1625
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:42:33 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

quote:

Well can the people see your list Mr _7?

You sure can. This is missing the last 10 I've seen, as I've got an old version of the list on my memory stick. Have seen Gambit (3.5), Silent Running (at the cinema; 4), Topper Returns (3), The Secret of My Success (2.5), Brokeback Mountain (2.5), 100 Men and a Girl (high 3) and others since then. New views in bold. Will put up the updated list next week.

Features (>40 mins)

1-10
Three Men on a Horse (Mervyn LeRoy, 1936) (4)
Louisiana Story (Robert Flaherty, 1948)
Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica, 1952)
Murder, My Sweet (Edward Dmytryk, 1944)
The Mating Season (Mitchell Leisen, 1951)
Three Smart Girls (Henry Koster, 1936)
Kiss Me Kate (George Sidney, 1943)
Father Goose (Ralph Nelson, 1964)
Ed Wood (Tim Burton, 1994)
I'll Tell the World (Edward Sedgwick, 1934)

11-20
Cluny Brown (Ernst Lubitsch, 1946)
Lady on a Train (Charles David, 1945)
Young Sherlock Holmes (Barry Levinson, 1985)
Mad About Music (Norman Taurog, 1938)
Pollyanna (David Swift, 1960)
Father Brown (Robert Hamer, 1954) (3.5)
Comrades (Bill Douglas, 1986)
That Certain Age (Edward Ludwig, 1938)
A Stranger in Town (Roy Rowland, 1943)
The Winslow Boy (Anthony Asquith, 1948)

21-30
Double Wedding (Richard Thorpe, 1937)
Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen, 1984)
The Body Snatcher (Robert Wise, 1945)
Arabesque (Stanley Donen, 1966)
Shatranj ke Khilari (Satyajit Ray, 1977) aka The Chess Players
Wanted! Jane Turner (Edward Killy, 1936)
T-Men (Anthony Mann, 1947)
Public Hero #1 (J. Walter Ruben, 1935)
Double Harness (John Cromwell, 1933)
No Time for Love (Mitchell Leisen, 1943)

31-40
Bachelor Mother (Garson Kanin, 1939)
The Gay Bride (Jack Conway, 1934)
Love Crazy (Jack Conway, 1941)
The Grifters (Stephen Frears, 1990) (3)
Topper Takes a Trip (Norman Z. McLeod, 1939)
His Butler's Sister (Frank Borzage, 1943)
Topper (Norman Z. McLeod, 1937)
Dodge City (Michael Curtiz, 1939)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Frank Oz, 1988)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (Busby Berkeley, 1949)

41-50
Three-Cornered Moon (Elliot Nugent, 1933)
Our Man in Havana (Carol Reed, 1959)
He Couldn't Say No (Lewis Seiler, 1938)
Three Smart Girls Grow Up (Henry Koster, 1939)
Reality Bites (Ben Stiller, 1994)
Let's Dance (Norman Z. McLeod, 1950)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (Woody Allen, 2008) (Cinema)
Show Business (Edward L. Marin, 1944)
The Chinese Cat (Phil Rosen, 1944)
Crashing Hollywood (Lew Landers, 1938)

51-60
Doc Hollywood (Michael Caton-Jones, 1991)
Sun Valley Serenade (H. Bruce Humberstone, 1941) (2.5)
Corsair (Roland West, 1931)
Earthworm Tractors (Ray Enright, 1936)
Intermezzo (Gregory Ratoff, 1939)
The Jade Mask (Phil Rosen, 1943)
Bright Eyes (David Butler, 1934)
The Scarlet Clue (Phil Rosen, 1945)
Charlie Chan in the Secret Service (Phil Rosen, 1944)
Black Magic (Phil Rosen, 1944) aka Meeting at Midnight

61-62
My Learned Friend (Basil Dearden and Will Hay, 1943)
Paris – When It Sizzles (Richard Quine, 1964)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 3/4/2009 11:52:53 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 1626
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 11:59:08 AM   
Piles

Tokyo Story (1953, Yasijuro Ozu)

Tokyo Story, slow and deliberated as it may be, is one of the most engrossing and entertaining films of all time. This film, the story of two parents (Chishu Ryu and Cheiko Higashiyama) who visit their children in Tokyo only to find themselves neglected by everyone except their daughter-in-law Noriko (Setsuku Hara), is often maligned for its slow and rhythmic pace - but for sheer emotion and its ability to inflict a mood on its audience through its characters, its unrivalled within the cinema. Ozu, directing from low angles and seldomly moving his camera, knows exactly what he is doing. He is crafting a masterclass in character. In fact, the film lives and dies on its characters and its emotions, and if its not succesful in identifying with you personally through its characters, then it won't suceed as a film. The theme is family, one that doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary or anything special, but it's one that will resonate with everybody. It's about how, in all cases, children will eventually drift away from their family, and there is nothing that parents can do but accept. But, seen as everybody pretty much accepts this as a fact anyway, the film cannot suceed on the strength of that alone. As I've said before, it's all about the characters and how emotive they are. Whether it's whilst a spoiled daughter is claiming her inheritence in the form of clothes only seconds after her mother's funeral or the sad acceptance of a faithful daughter - Kyoko - that she will, too, one day drift away from her parents, Ozu has suceeded in getting under the skin of his audience (or at lease me), and how gut-wrenchingly heart-breaking this film is is there for all to see. Oh, and about it being slow, I prefer David Bordwell's description of it being "calm". Because, after all, this isn't a film that confines itself within the time frames and pacing conventions of the decided set of "rules", instead it's one that attempts to re-construct the pain-stakingly brutal processes of acceptance and grieving. And I, personally, think it's sucessful in doing that. 5/5.

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (1999, Trey Parker)

South Park, the series, is - in my book at least - one of the saddest stories of television. So brilliantly funny in the first few series, but so desperately lacking in jokes over the past few seasons and instead replacing them with thoughtful allegorys, this - the movie - is often considered (by me amongst others) to be the pinaccle of Parker and Stone's best creation (Team America: World Police pails in comparison). Why that is is because South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut blends all the great jokes of the first few seasons and the allegory/satire of the last few to best effect, resulting in one of the best comedies of the last ten years. The comedy stems sometimes from the surreal and sometimes from the satire, but the joke count remains high throughout and the laughs keep on rolling. and it also remains unnaturally intelligent throughout. The main crux of the story is about how swearing is considered to be even worse than horrific violence, and Stone and Parker don't spell this out to the audience until the final scene. The problem is that, and at the risk of sounding pompous here, most South Park fans missed that altogether, and lauded this film for its foul-mouthed antics rather than its intelligent mix of satire and surrealism. Maybe it's no Dr Strangelove, but there's no denying that the South Park movie has more going on upstairs than down. 4/5.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 1627
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 3:18:56 PM   
Dantes Inferno

30. The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005, Apatow) – 8/10
Here’s a curiosity – a film stuck between two points, desperately trying to reach both of them at once, and thereby only managing to get a slightly good grip, as opposed to a more solid one.

Allow me to explain: while The 40 Year Old Virgin may at first appear to be another entry in a long line of entries in the “genre gross out comedy”, it is actually a sweet film – one that laughs just as much with its characters as of them. Unfortunately, screenwriters Judd Apatow and Steve Carell never achieves a super funny level nor a very empathic one. It seems that, instead of going in just one of those directions, they tried to traverse both.

I wonder: if the film had been funnier, would it be less empathic, and similarly, if the film had been more empathic, would it have been less funny? Is it possible to make such a film? I do think so, and therefore I can’t refer to this film in any way but “lost potential”. Of course, the great thing about failing at a difficult task is that you can still come out the other end as something great, and The 40 Year Old Virgin accomplishes just that. It has a great cast, and while I miss any standout scenes and sequences (instead of the ever-multiplying set of clichéd ones on display here), the film is still both more heart-warming and funnier than my initial rambling may have had you believe.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1628
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 5:07:31 PM   
Epiphany Demon

May I ask Rinc, what are the two films you say you'd give 10/10?

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 1629
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 5:14:54 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

Birth of a Nation and Hudson Hawk.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1630
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 5:17:34 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

Birth of a Nation and Hudson Hawk.

Ah cool. Not heard of them, but okay

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1631
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 5:23:28 PM   
rick_7

Sorry, I was being silly (please see PM). I think Rinc's actual favourites are Look Who's Talking and Look Who's Talking Too.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 1632
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/4/2009 9:15:59 PM   
elab49

April shorts

Les Escargots (Laloux, 1965)

A farmer (possibly modelec on Van Gogh's potato eaters), uses tears in a last desperate attempt to get his vegetables to grow. They do, abnormally, and so do the snails that eat them who then go on to attack the city (with some unnecessarily unclad females!).

The animation style is slightly Noggin the Nog to my mind. I assume something along the lines of being the agents of our own destruction and, at the end, not learning that lesson when he does the same thing with carrots. Very enjoyable watch, though, particularly the visual joke on King Kong.

The Prisoner (Laloux, 1988)

Rather more obscure short. 2 escapees find themselves trapped in a city of silence behind a wall keeping out the noisy sea. Rather more primitive animation style than the earlier shorts, with more abstract imagery. Message? At a wild guess, order can't hold back chaos, no matter how it tries.

How Wang-Fo Was Saved (Laloux, 1987)

Based on a retold Chinese story (the French language does sound very odd with the animation, as did the Japanese segment in Fears in the Dark). The story revolves around Wang Fo being taken before the Emperor, because of the conflict between reality and the artist's eye. The drawing itself is perfectly efficient. The notes suggest Laloux think this was his best work, (it is certainly the best of the shorts). Perhaps, given that writers and academics writing about writers and academics often think it is their most profound work, then a piece on the nature and redemptive power of art where art is also the means by which he is saved had the greatest appeal to the artist himself. The script is very well written and it is a fascinating story but you also really have to see this for the simply breathtaking (water)colour work.

BTW - anyone know if any of the Lion King people had seen this? One of Wang Fo's paintings, subject, layout and colours, is pretty much the same as one of the shots they use for their promos.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1633
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 12:02:07 AM   
Deviation

Hunger (Steve McQueen, 2008) 9.5/10

Well, one of the strongest, most harrowing films I've seen recently, with some great performances especially by Fassbender, a great setting (the shit stained walls and the piss covered floors get the mood well), direction and cinematography. Shows either side with some humanity and does a good job showing the radical politics. One of the most impressive sequences has to be the one shot discussion between Bobby Sands and the priest, superbly acted by both actors and a good use of smoke, seemingly separating the two and their politics. Narration is the most interesting point of the film. it doesn't seem to have actual characters, at least in the first half, jumping from one person to another, focusing on one and then the other, Sands' himself takes some time to appear. They don't seem to be characters, rather just poeple caught in an event, and their emotions, be it anger and defiance or sadness, pain and misery. A very very good debut by McQueen who for one stupid reason I mixed up with being the actor.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1634
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 8:18:25 AM   
Rinc

quote:

I think Rinc's actual favourites are Look Who's Talking and Look Who's Talking Too.

Don't be silly. Neither of them are a patch on Look Who's Talking Three!

I'd only give 10/10 to LA Confidential and The Godfather. Absolutely perfect. Even something like 12 Angry Men which i completely love and have nominated for this HoF i'd only give 9/10. And that's because one scene lets it down.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1635
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 10:01:47 AM   
Piles

quote:

And that's because one scene lets it down.

.... there's only one scene in it!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1636
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:12:42 AM   
Harry Lime

quote:

quote:

I think Rinc's actual favourites are Look Who's Talking and Look Who's Talking Too.

Don't be silly. Neither of them are a patch on Look Who's Talking Three!

I'd only give 10/10 to LA Confidential and The Godfather. Absolutely perfect. Even something like 12 Angry Men which i completely love and have nominated for this HoF i'd only give 9/10. And that's because one scene lets it down.

Mild Spoiler

Is that they scene where they all walk away from the table and face the wall whilst Ed Begley lanches his racist tirade? If it is then I'd agree.

End Spoiler

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1637
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:15:37 AM   
Harry Lime

quote:

quote:

No there isn't. There's the courtroom at the start, the main jury room (which is split into very defined mini-scenes), the bathroom and on the courthouse steps at the end!

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1638
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:19:08 AM   
Harry Lime

Oh, and I have re-jiggled my rating system. No more half marks for me. It's going to be a simple 1-5 system from now on. As such, my current list of films for 2009 looks like this...

À bout de souffle (1959, Godard)
Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution (1965, Godard)
Casque d'or (1952, Becker)
Céline et Julie vont en bateau (1974, Rivette)
Days Of Heaven (1978, Malick)
Les Diaboliques (1955, Clouzot)
F For Fake (1974, Welles)
Hobson's Choice (1953, Lean)
The Invisible Man (1933, Whale)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984, Leone)
Peeping Tom (1960, Powell)
Les quatre cents coups (1959, Truffaut)
The Quiet Man (1952, Ford)
There Will Be Blood (2007, Anderson)
Trouble In Paradise (1932, Lubitsch)
Ugetsu Monogatari (1953, Mizoguchi)
The War Game (1965, Watkins)
When The Wind Blows (1986, Murakami)

Les Amants (1958, Malle)
Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (1958, Malle)
Au revoir les enfants (1987, Malle)
The Cooler (2003, Kramer)
The Elephant Man (1980, Lynch)
Le feu follet (1963, Malle)
Hamlet (1996, Branagh)
Ice Cold In Alex (1958, Thompson)
I Love You Again (1940, Van Dyke)
In Bruges (2008, McDonagh)
It Happened One Night (1934, Capra)
Jules et Jim (1962, Truffaut)
The Killer (1989, Woo)
The Lady From Shanghai (1947, Welles)
Love Crazy (1941, Conway)
Milk (2008, Van Sant)
Network (1976, Lumet)
La Pianiste (2001, Haneke)
Pierrot le fou (1965, Godard)
Ryan's Daughter (1970, Lean)
The Spiral Staircase (1945, Siodmak)
A Taste Of Honey (1961, Richardson)
To Be Or Not To Be (1942, Lubitsch)
Touchez pas au grisbi (1954, Becker)
12 Angry Men (1957, Lumet)
Written On The Wind (1956, Sirk)

Der Amerikanische Freund (1977, Wenders)
Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004, McKay)
Atlantic City (1980, Malle)
Before Sunrise (1995, Linklater)
Bis ans Ende der Welt (1991, Wenders)
Changeling (2008, Eastwood)
Cloverfield (2008, Reeves)
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008, Fincher)
Frost / Nixon (2008, Howard)
Gran Torino (2008, Eastwood)
Mulholland Dr. (2001, Lynch)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008, Darnell & McGrath)
Music And Lyrics (2007, Lawrence)
El Orfanato (2007, Bayona)
The Reader (2008, Daldry)
Revolutionary Road (2008, Mendes)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008, Boyle)
Spellbound (1945, Hitchcock)
Tabu (1931, Murnau)
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (1995, Fleder)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008, Allen)
Vivacious Lady (1938, Stevens)
The Wrestler (2008, Aronofsky)

All In The Game (2006, O'Hanlon)
Burn After Reading (2008, Coen & Coen)
Cat Ballou (1965, Silverstein)
Doubt (2008, Shanley)
Enemy At The Gates (2001, Annaud)
Hancock (2008, Berg)
The Holiday (2006, Meyers)
The Italian Job (2003, Gray)
Kung Fu Panda (2008, Osbourne & Stevenson)
Love Affair (1939, McCarey)
Mamma Mia (2008, Lloyd)
She's The Man (2006, Fickman)
Tropic Thunder (2008, Stiller)
Wanted (2008, Berkmambetov)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006, Ratner)
Zazie dans le métro (1960, Malle)

Alien Vs Predator - Requiem (2007, Strause & Strause)
Amityville III: The Demon (1983, Fleischer)
Halloween (2007, Zombie)
Nacho Libre (2006, Hess)
X Files: I Want To Believe (2008, Carter)

First Viewing

Films Viewed Per Decade

2000s - 37
1990s - 4
1980s - 7
1970s - 6
1960s - 9
1950s - 13
1940s - 6
1930s - 6
1920s - 0
1910s - 0
1900's - 0

Shorts (40 Minutes or less)

Les mistons (1957, Truffaut)

Charlotte et son Jules (1960, Godard)
Vive le tour (1962, Malle)

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 30/4/2009 2:20:28 AM >

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1639
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:19:58 AM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

quote:

quote:

No there isn't. There's the courtroom at the start, the main jury room (which is split into very defined mini-scenes), the bathroom and on the courthouse steps at the end!

The courthouse steps bit at the end always make me laugh. It just doesnt need to be there

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1640
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:23:44 AM   
Harry Lime

quote:

The courthouse steps bit at the end always make me laugh. It just doesnt need to be there

Oh, I agree entirely. The film should have ended with the shot of Fonda scanning the empty jury room and turning off the light. The courthouse steps scene just seems to be tacked on for no reason.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1641
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:25:16 AM   
elab49

Oh, and I have re-jiggled my rating system. No more half marks for me. It's going to be a simple 1-5 system from now on. As such, my current list of films for 2009 looks like this...

Days Of Heaven (1978, Malick)
Les Diaboliques (1955, Clouzot)
The Elephant Man (1980, Lynch)
F For Fake (1974, Welles)
Hobson's Choice (1953, Lean)
The Invisible Man (1933, Whale)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984, Leone)
Peeping Tom (1960, Powell)
Trouble In Paradise (1932, Lubitsch)
Ugetsu Mongatori (1953, Mizoguchi)
When The Wind Blows (1986, Murakami)

[/quote]

8 of the HoF already? Yikes. I am way behind that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1642
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:29:47 AM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

8 of the HoF already? Yikes. I am way behind that.

Im currently on 1...

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1643
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:32:31 AM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

Oh, I agree entirely. The film should have ended with the shot of Fonda scanning the empty jury room and turning off the light. The courthouse steps scene just seems to be tacked on for no reason.

Well I can kind of see what Lumet is thinking. He wants to show everyone going their own way after being in court. But it isn't needed, and the conversation is just so badly done. I would have ended it with the light being turned off as well.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1644
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 11:33:02 AM   
elab49

COunting my own, and that I recently rewatched Lift to the Scaffold, I've got 3. So really 1!

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1645
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 1:07:36 PM   
Rinc

It is indeed that scene. The script is exceptional but this moment is just too staged and doesn't look or feel natural.

As for the courthouse steps scene, yes it probably isn't needed and Fonda taking in the empty jury room would be an apt ending. However, i like the final scene with Fonda walking off in his splendid white suit back to normality after acting as the voice of reason and probably saving a man's life. I like that we see him just blending back into the street life after being the 'hero'.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1646
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 1:15:24 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

X Files: I Want To Believe (2008, Carter)

Harry, are you an X-Phile? That tends to have a great effect on what people think of this film. And did you see the post-credits sequence? It could shift that mark either way

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 1647
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 4:26:42 PM   
elab49

As well as the shorts on the previous page, Laloux day continued with the 3 features.

Fantastic Planet (Laloux, 1973)

Remains Laloux's best work combining a strong story with excellent visuals. The realisation of the Draags world is very impressive. Slightly Python, slightly surreal – great thought has gone into creating an alien environment far beyond sticking a couple of odd-looking biped in with a few funny trees.

The allegory of the dangers of fascism runs through the film and even if Laloux chose the book as a reflection of the trouble at home, the story itself, and the terminology used in describing the Oms, makes clear it is the Nazi treatment of the Jews that is being dealt with here. Oddly, I do still prefer the English dub when watching this. I think the voice artists do well with the material.

Time Masters (Laloux, 1982)

On the surface this does resemble a particular type of archetypal space opera, common in the 80s and revered as cheese classics now. But the care taken and the love shown when considering the alien worlds being visited is far superior to any other piece of cheesy SF and lifts it far above the norm. This isn't just because Jad and Yula and the wah-wahs are so adorable – and would make a marketing fortune if the film were redone now. But the determination to imagine beyond our world makes Wul an author I really should get round to reading. The story itself is very well done, although I'd consider changing the title as you do start to wonder about it part way through. Also, the appearance of the hornets is absolutely chilling.

Laloux returns to the theme of totalitarianism and mindless obedience both in the officials of The Reform and more potently in the creature controlling Gamma 10. Something he effectively copies into and expands in his next feature, Gandahar.

NB Music wasn't very good. Dated 80s stuff and a couple of awful songs that just reminded me of Disney's determination to shoehorn them in irrespective.

Gandahar (Laloux, 1988)

I'm guessing the Masters of Cinema copy isn't the one with Asimov's stuff on it? The source novel isn't as good as Wul's and the film seems to be full of elements from elsewhere. The metal men remind you both of the automatons in Time Masters but they are clearly more aerodynamic cybermen. The clear sexual subtext, both in the odd name of the Gandahar leader and frankly blatant in the initial entrance to Metamorphis. And this might just be me – but does the entry into the cave of The Deformed (and the fairly heavy attempt to consider science as a danger, better stated by Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park) not remind anyone really strongly of El Topo?

Don't get me wrong. It is still a cut above many of its type and very watchable and there is still much to enjoy in aspects of the creation of the landscape (and the little mini crab things with the Betty Boop eyes!). But it isn't as good as the first 2 features.

Sex seems to be an ongoing thing with Laloux. Women generally in the first and third films are half if not fully naked (although men's sexual organs are almost always covered). Phallic symbols abound, some not even symbols. The centre of government in Gandahar is a carved female figure – but it is both supported and surrounded by phalluses. How strongly should we consider the gender politics element to be? It is almost entirely visual. How deliberate? Who knows?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/4/2009 4:38:03 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1648
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 5:39:30 PM   
rawlinson

You've read the novel that Gandahar was based on? I haven't, so it makes it difficult for me to comment on if the sexuality is from Laloux or the novel. Although knowing the work of the Panic Movement I'd say it's likely to be from Laloux. Asimov worked on the English language redub (which in my head was also on the MoC release) The redub is pretty terrible though, a real hack job, and the master of hackery himself, Harvey Weinstein actually had the balls to credit himself as director over Laloux.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1649
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/4/2009 5:44:04 PM   
elab49

I have worded that quite badly - I meant the source story simply doesn't seem as strong or coherent as the work from Wul's novels. I haven't read the original either.

The MoCs have the English dub for Fantastic Planet, but not for the other 2. Oddly you get the choice of a print with subs or without (which you mostly do with a control so it was weird having them offered as seemingly separate films).

Weinstein

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI