Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/3/2009 3:21:03 PM   
TRM

quote:

030) City on Fire  (Ringo Lam, Hong Kong, 1987) - 6.0
Ringo Lam. Chow Yun Fat. Bad fashion (jumper over the shoulders, dickie bow, leather tie etc). Dodgy logic.
Nowhere near as good as The Killer or A Better Tomorrow, or even Hard Boiled, but it's ok.

Thats a shame Gram. I watched it around the same time as the killer and a better tomorrow and put it well above both of them.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 1531
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/3/2009 7:38:07 PM   
Gram123

Ah well, each to their own...
I did quite enjoy it, but I just found a lot of it quite ridiculous and it wasn't as much fun as the others mentioned. I liked Ringo Lam's Point of No Return (aka Touch and Go) starring Sammo, but Twin Dragons was one of JC's poorest, as I recall.

Oh, and this is something I asked in the World Cinema thread, perhaps you know - are School on Fire and Prison on Fire 1 & 2 releated to City on Fire, beyond having the same director (and the latter two starring CYF)?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1532
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/3/2009 9:58:43 PM   
paul_ie86

51. Juno (Reitman, 2007)- 6/10

An alright comedy. Didn't deserve the amount of bile it got, nor the amount of praise

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1533
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/3/2009 10:15:20 PM   
chris_scott01

A few additions to the list:

Strangers on a Train (1952, Alfred Hitchcock)
L'Innocente (1976, Luchino Visconti)
Ludwig (1972, Luchino Visconti)
Memories of Murder (2003, Bong Joon-Ho)
A Taste of Cherry (1997, Abbas Kiarostami)
Freaks (1932, Todd Browning)

Romeo, Juliet and Darkness (1960, Jirí Weiss)
The Round-Up (1966, Miklós Jancsó)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946, Tay Garnett)
The Candidate (1972, Michael Ritchie)

Crocodile Dundee II (1988, John Cornell)
Buffalo Bill and the Indians (1976, Robert Altman)

JBG will be pleased to see Kiarostami redeem himself (retrospectively) with A Taste of Cherry entering quite high on the list.  It's a film that foreshadows his later film Ten, and I'm beginning to see his influence on modern cinema (as in this decade).  Both Close-Up and A Taste of Cherry have a minimalist style and attention to detail that I've recognised in certain recent films (Uzak is the first that comes to mind and I know there are others) but I don't think anybody does it as well as Kiarostami (forgetting Five of course).  Freaks was a rather disturbing little film, sympathetically focusing on the irony of internal and external appearances, it just lacks enough good performances to be really great.  The Postman Always Rings Twice was a disappointment, mainly due to the acting too, but after seeing Visconti's Ossessione it really does pale in comparison.  I couldn't resist watching Crocodile Dundee II the other day, a film I watched quite a bit as a child.  The plot is stretched a bit thin but it's a laugh a minute (maybe that's just nostalgia).  Sorry for the rush job I've got a plane to catch.  See y'all in 3 weeks.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1534
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 29/3/2009 11:14:34 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Ah well, each to their own...
I did quite enjoy it, but I just found a lot of it quite ridiculous and it wasn't as much fun as the others mentioned. I liked Ringo Lam's Point of No Return (aka Touch and Go) starring Sammo, but Twin Dragons was one of JC's poorest, as I recall.

Oh, and this is something I asked in the World Cinema thread, perhaps you know - are School on Fire and Prison on Fire 1 & 2 releated to City on Fire, beyond having the same director (and the latter two starring CYF)?

It seems that i dont know any more than you do about the link between those films. I had planned to watch them just because its the same director and CYF is normally a good reason for watching anything. The dvds i have dont mention any link though, and a very quick search online doesnt tell me of a link.

< Message edited by TRM -- 29/3/2009 11:15:33 PM >

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 1535
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 30/3/2009 8:47:44 AM   
Deviation

Kagemusha (Akira Kurosawa 1980) 4/5

Well, it is a very good film, stunning cinematography, great direction, haunting soundtrack and very well directed. Thought the dream sequences and the battle sequences were unqiue and Nakadai's performance as the Shadow Warrior is a great performance, done with some real emotion. But at the end it seemed to halt in pacing and sometime streching itself. But basically Ran is better. It has better battle sequences, better acting, better pacing, better use of colour, more memorable performances and better use of music and direction. The whole thought of how Ran did it better was always there while watching it.

I'm a Cyborg but that's OK. (Chan-wook Park, 2006) 3.5/5

Very well made film. The little soundtrack is beautiful, the performances were good and the direction was solid. Sadly, the first half especially, seemed to lack a plot or a point, focusing on characters which have little or no importance, if they can even be called characers since they are just patients, but maybe that it the point in the lack of meaning or fear to go out of existence found in the film. Some wonderful moments in the film and strandley enough it can be moving, it simply feels overlong. Original, at times wonderful, at times there's thing like it, with the original concept being very quite sweet. But unlike Chan Wook's previous films, it seemed to lack a plot. But a weird, unqiue wonderful film, and strng enough to keep Chan-wook on the list of the most interesting directors working today.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1536
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 30/3/2009 6:27:14 PM   
DCMaximo

New entries-

4. The People Vs. Larry Flynt (1996, Forman) 9/10
Terrific film based on the infamous Hustler publisher primarily based round the various legal problems he had in the 80's and his battle for freedom of speech. The film is refreshingly honest about Flynt, showing him at various times as mentally unstable, violent or dependent on drugs (and obviously with the permission of Flynt, who cameos) and, in spite of his flaws, he is still a sympathetic character. The film also benefits from three excellent performances- Courtney Love as Flynt's wife Althea, totally believable both as a vibrant partner and later as a drug-addled mess, Edward Norton as his long-suffering lawyer and most of all Woody Harrelson, who fully inhabits the role in all the different stages of Flynt's life and succeeds with the difficult task of making a complicated man very likable.

20. The Damned United (2009, Hooper) 8/10
Highly enjoyable film which focuses on Brian Clough's 44-day reign in charge of Leeds United. Michael Sheen, who excels at portraying real people, turns in an excellent performance as Clough, bringing enough Clough traits to the role to make him instantly recognizable, but going further than just imitation to ensure that he feels like a fully-rounded character. Timothy Spall, despite looking nothing like Peter Taylor, is also great as the ying to Clough's yang and there are great supporting roles from Jim Broadbent and Colm Meaney. The script remains entertaining, easy to do when focusing on a man as quotable as Clough, and director Hooper puts together some great scenes (Clough chain-smoking in his office, unable to bring himself to watch a big game against Leeds is a standout)

65. Chaplin (1992, Attenborough) 6/10
So-so biopic of Charlie Chaplin which wastes a great cast and a career-best turn from Robert Downey Jr. Totally different from the usual fast-talking roles we've seen from him in recent years, Downey Jr. totally immerses himself in the role, convincingly mimicking Chaplin as a performer whilst also bringing Chaplin the person to life as well. However, the film doesn't really tell us much about Chaplin or what drove him. Unlike the two films above, which both focused on a particular key event or theme in the subject's life, here we try and fit all of Chaplin's life into a 2 hour period, the result being that we flick through things so fast (the foundation of United Artists is barely touched on, his marriages and the allegations of communism both rushed through) that despite Downey Jr's best efforts, we find that although we know some things that happened to him, we barely know him at all.

83. Vampire's Kiss (1988, Bierman) 4/10
Totally misjudged film about a publishing executive who believes he has been bitten by a vampire. The film isn't sure if it is a comedy, a horror or a thriller and makes clumsy attempts at them all in an attempt to make it's jumbled plot make sense. The saving grace for the film is the performance of Nicolas Cage who gamely tries to carry this film, almost crossing that fine-line into over-acting, but reeling himself in the just the right time. Cage even eats a live cockroach, an act of dedication to a film that really doesn't deserve it.

Performances:
2. Woody Harrelson as Larry Flynt (The People Vs. Larry Flynt)
7. Michael Sheen as Brian Clough (The Damned United)
12. Robert Downey Jr. as Charlie Chaplin (Chaplin)
15. Edward Norton as Alan Isaacman (The People Vs. Larry Flynt)
21. Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor (The Damned United)
27. Courtney Love as Althea Leasure Flynt (The People Vs. Larry Flynt)

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 1537
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 30/3/2009 10:42:21 PM   
impqueen

013.     Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942) USA
I had not watched this film in over a year, perhaps even longer and by the end I couldn't justify why I would allow myself to go that long without such an enormously entertaining film. I promptly purchased a new Claude Rains biography soon after the end credits finished, he is superb as Captain Renault and really shines, which is quite something when you've got an iconic Bogart and Bergman to compete with not to mention Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet and (however briefly) Peter Lorre. As Time Out said "an accidental masterpiece”, masterpiece is too often bandied around but you have to give Casablanca credit…great stuff.   

039.     Eight Men Out (Sayles, 1988) USA
I can not stand baseball outside the realm of cinema and all my understanding of the game is mainly from Kevin Costner films, my knowledge of the 1919 World Series in fact, is almost exclusively gleaned from Field of Dreams. Anyway John Sayles is one of my favourite filmmakers and Eight Men Out is an outstanding sports film, it has numerous standout performances (John Cusack, John Mahoney, David Strathairn and D. B. Sweeney in particular) and though the good/evil dynamic is a little basic, the cast more than compensate for that short coming. It's an interesting film especially if like me you can not really relate to an entire nation, a nation almost entirely rocked by a sports scandal but then baseball is the favourite pastime of the Americans, it's fascinating.        

049.     The Damned United (Hooper, 2009) UK (First View)
…and yet I can totally understand the utter disbelief of Brian Clough lasting only 44 Days as manager of a club, the best club in England no less. However like I said above I am not an American (where I doubt this will play well) which is disappointing given the sheer dynamism of Michael Sheen's turn, it deserves to be seen by more people. I think this is Sheen best performance on the big screen and though there are some bizarre moments where he appears to slip back into his Frost/Nixon role, you really can not help but watch him. The rest of the cast are rounded out well enough and I agree with those who have said it's less a sports film or actually about those 44 Days but is in fact a romantic comedy about the relationship between Clough and Peter Taylor (Timothy Spall) it may be a slice of fictionalised fact but it remains a good film, very good even.

050.     Working Girl (Nichols, 1988) USA  
078.     Sabrina (Pollock, 1995) USA

100.     Watchmen (Snyder, 2009) USA (First View)
I am a fan of the Graphic Novel (COMIC); I have liked it ever since I was first recommended it over a decade ago, it's isn't my favourite but I regard it quite highly, the film however falls short, it's pretty faithful (where's my giant squid!?) but the cast are all over the place and I actually found myself incredibly bored by the film. I liked the opening and unlike most (of the reviews I've read) I liked the ending, though that may be because I thought Matthew Goode as Ozymandias/Adrian was a success. He was certainly more interesting than Nite Owl (a tedious Patrick Wilson) and Silk Specter II (Malin Akerman) leather clad she may be but engaging she was not, ultimately disappointing but worst of all a dreadfully dull film.    

< Message edited by impqueen -- 30/3/2009 10:48:06 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 1538
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 1:30:42 AM   
paul_ie86

27. The Cooler (Kramer, 2003)- 8/10

A great little film. Pitch-perfect performances from the three leads, even if the script does let them down sometimes

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1539
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 5:17:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

54. Bug (1st view, 2006, William Friedkin) - 4/5*
Creepy and unsettling.

77. Duplicity (1st view, 2009, Tony Gilroy) - 4/5*
Bright and breezy con caper. Clive Owen is good, Julia Roberts is annoying.

105. Diary Of The Dead (1st view, 2007, George A. Romero) - 3/5*
A few good scares, the 4th best in the series, bettering Land Of The Dead.

58. Paul Giamatti as Dick Garsik in Duplicity
67. Michael Shannon as Peter Evans in Bug
81. Ashley Judd as Agnes White in Bug

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 31/3/2009 5:18:09 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1540
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 7:25:08 AM   
Pigeon Army

95. Speed (1994, de Bont) - 4/5
Speed is the pinnacle of '90s big dumb action films. Cheesy one-liners ("I think he lost his head"), gratuitous explosions, physics that make a mockery of real life, Keanu Reeves being perfectly baffled and badass, Dennis Hopper in a performance that's so hammy he might as well be a goddamned delicatessen, Sandra Bullock being cute, brilliant cinematography and an innate sense of silly fun. For all its numerous flaws and discrepancies, there's something ridiculously endearing about this film. POP QUIZ, ARSEHOLE!

96. Five (2007, Tripuraneni) - 4/5
A Lynch-esque film that doesn't use mindfuckery as a pretension to high art; rather, here the mindfuckery is used skilfully as an intriguing device integral to the narrative, and the film's all the better for it, despite some inconsistent performances, a groan-worthy score and some bland dialogue. Definitely one of the more interesting and challenging NZ films of recent times. Check my NZ thread for a better review.

141. Dont Look Back (1967, Pennebaker) - 2/5
For a film that's around 90 minutes long, every second of this direct cinema-style doco following Bob Dylan on his 1965 tour of England is absolutely painfully slow and dragged out. This film nearly put me to sleep, it was that unbelievably dull and uninteresting. Pennebaker's aim of putting reality in the lens through long takes and unintrusive camerawork is noble, but he couldn't have chosen a more uninteresting subject than Dylan, who is incredibly dull with occasional spurts of mildly brilliant insight wrapped in incredible twattishness (the scene in which he is interviewed by a Time magazine reporter illustrates this - while Dylan makes a very good point about how it's not in the best interests of Time or any news magazine to publish 'the truth', due to financial reasons, political reasons etc., he's an absolute prick about it and essentially bullies the reporter because he can't help being a dick). Add to that that reading War & Peace would probably feel like it takes less time than watching this film, the editing of this film is all over the place, with scenes just thrown together in a rough chronological fashion, and the characters are often incredibly hard to listen to when they talk, and the neat cinematography and noble aim really shine like rings in a pile of shit.

Also, I'm starting to realise both why people love Dylan and why I will never think he's anything more than a tone-deaf, musically unoriginal prick with good writing skills.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1541
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 7:42:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Also, I'm starting to realise both why people love Dylan and why I will never think he's anything more than a tone-deaf, musically unoriginal prick with good writing skills.

Them's fighting words!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 1542
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 7:53:58 AM   
Pigeon Army

Obligatory March madness!

1.       Out of the Blue (2006, Sarkies) - 5/5**

2.       The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007, Dominick) - 4.5/5

3.       Singin' in the Rain (1952, Donen & Kelly) - 4.5/5*
4.       Adams æbler (Adam's Apples) (2005, Thomas Jensen) - 4.5/5
5.       Moulin Rouge! (2001, Luhrmann) - 4.5/5
6.       Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975, Gilliam & Jones) - 4.5/5****
7.       Closer (2004, Nichols) - 4.5/5

8.       The Player (1992, Altman) - 4.5/5

9.       Taxi to the Dark Side (2007, Gibney) - 4.5/5
10.     Sullivan's Travels (1941, P. Sturges) - 4.5/5

The Thing (1982, Carpenter) - 4.5/5

12.     The General (1927, Bruckman & Keaton) - 4.5/5
13.     Jurassic Park (1993, Spielberg) - 4.5/5***

14.     The Wrestler (2008, Aronofsky) - 4.5/5

The Matrix (1999, Wachowski & Wachowski) - 4/5****
16.     Collateral (2004, Mann) - 4/5***

17.     Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, Spielberg) - 4/5**

18.     Watchmen (2009, Snyder) - 4/5

Primer (2004, Carruth) - 4/5
20.     Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood (2003, Bowser) - 4/5

Sonatine (1993, Kitano) - 4/5
22.     Kumonosu jô (Throne of Blood) (1957, Kurosawa) - 4/5
23.     Milk (2008, Van Sant) - 4/5
24.     Manhattan (1979, Allen) - 4/5
Metropolis (1927, Lang) - 4/5
26.     Top Hat (1935, Sandrich) - 4/5
27.     Speed (1994, de Bont) - 4/5
28.     Five (2007, Tripuraneni) - 4/5

Con Air (1997, West) - 3.5/5
30.     Les quatre cents coups (The 400 Blows) (1959, Truffaut) - 3.5/5

21 (2008, Luketic) - 3.5/5

32.     2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle (2 or 3 Things I Know About Her) (1967, Godard) - 3/5
33.     Mamma Mia! (2008, Lloyd) - 3/5
   Dont Look Back (1967, Pennebaker) - 2/5
35.     10,000 BC (2008, Emmerich) - 2/5

36.     Forrest Gump (1994, Zemeckis) - 2/5

37.     Balls of Fury (2007, Ben Garant) - 2/5

SHORT FILMS
1.     La Jetée (1962, Marker) - 4.5/5
2.     La vielle dame et les pigeons (The Old Lady and the Pigeons) (1998, Chomet) - 4/5
3.     Charlotte et Véronique, ou Tous les garcons s'appellent Patrick (All The Boys Are Called Patrick) (1959, Godard) – 4/5
4.     Papiroflexia (2007, Baldwin) - 4/5

5.     Le course des sergents de ville (The Policemen's Little Run) (1907, Zecca) – 4/5
6.     Le voyage dans la lune (A Trip To The Moon) (1902, Méliès) – 3.5/5
7.     Sebastian's Voodoo (2008, Baldwin) – 3.5/5
8.     Le scarabée d'or (The Golden Beetle) (1907, de Chomón) – 3.5/5
9.     The Great Train Robbery (1903, S. Porter) – 3.5/5

10.   Evil Demon Golfball From Hell (1996, Johnson) – 3.5/5

Decade Breakdown
00s - 19
90s - 09 
80s - 02
70s - 02
60s - 03
50s - 04
40s - 01
30s - 01
20s - 02
10s - 00
1900s - 04

Top 20 Performances of March 2009
Mickey Rourke as Randy 'The Ram' Robinson (The Wrestler, 2008)

2.    Casey Affleck as Robert Ford (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, 2007)

3.    Matt Sunderland as David Gray (Out of the Blue, 2006)
4.    Clive Owen as Larry (Closer, 2004)
5.    Mads Mikkelsen as Ivan (Adam's Apples, 2005)

6.    Brad Pitt as Jesse James (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, 2007)

7.    Lois Lawn as Helen Dickson (Out of the Blue, 2006)
8.    Tim Robbins as Griffin Mill (The Player, 1992)
9.    Buster Keaton as Johnny Gray (The General, 1927)
10.  Gary Sinise as Lieutenant Dan Taylor (Forrest Gump, 1994)

Ulrich Thomsen as Adam Pedersen (Adam's Apples, 2005)

12.  Jim Broadbent as Harold Zidler (Moulin Rouge!, 2001)
13.  Jean-Claude Brialy as Patrick (All The Boys Are Called Patrick, 1959)
14.  Takeshi Kitano as Aniki Murakawa (Sonatine, 1993)
15.  Simon Ferry as Garry Holden (Out of the Blue, 2006)
16.  Alfred Abel as Joh Fredersen (Metropolis, 1927)
17.  Donald O'Connor as Cosmo Brown (Singin' in the Rain, 1952)
18.  Jude Law as Dan (Closer, 2004)
19.  Jamie Foxx as Max (Collateral, 2004)
20.  Jean Hagen as Lina Lamont (Singin' in the Rain, 1952)

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 31/3/2009 8:10:18 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 1543
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 8:25:09 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Them's fighting words!

It's not you I'm baiting, Gimmers. Get back in your cage.

Now, where's jbg?

But seriously, I can appreciate his lyrics are excellent, but that whole "three chords and the truth" style - particularly when coupled with that nasal and irritating voice - just ain't my thing. It's horrible and simplistic and grating. Plus, Dylan's a prick. A smart prick, but a prick nonetheless.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1544
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 9:09:34 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCMaximo

Clough chain-smoking in his office, unable to bring himself to watch a big game against Leeds is a standout)

I'd seen this mentioned as one of the ways they moved away from showing the footie stuff that generally doesn't work on film. Another good review

quote:

I promptly purchased a new Claude Rains biography  

Another club member who recognises the true star of Casablanca. I have about 3 films in my pile only there because of Mr Rains.

quote:

77. Duplicity (1st view, 2009, Tony Gilroy) - 4/5*
Bright and breezy con caper. Clive Owen is good, Julia Roberts is annoying.

We were busy the weekend before last and it seems this has already gone to later evening showings already so I'm guessing it didn't do too well. Will look forward to the DVD though.

quote:

I can appreciate his lyrics are excellent, but that whole "three chords and the truth" style - particularly when coupled with that nasal and irritating voice - just ain't my thing. It's horrible and simplistic and grating.

Join the club. I think we're in a minority on here but the bolthole is prepared.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 1545
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 9:16:17 AM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

I promptly purchased a new Claude Rains biography  

Another club member who recognises the true star of Casablanca. I have about 3 films in my pile only there because of Mr Rains.

Claude Rains is one of my Top 3 Actors to Watch in Anything he’s just superb in 99% of the films he appeared in, sometimes a little too theatrical but given the man was a self-taught actor on both stage and screen, it’s amazing how good he actually was. What are the three films you have?  

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1546
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 9:40:02 AM   
Dantes Inferno

I'm a bit on the fence about Dylan. I really like his work, and he has written some fantastic songs, but he writes better lyrics than music, and though the former is important, I always emphasize the latter (though there are exceptions). I can understand why people love him, but I can understand the hate too. I am more of the first than the second though, by far.

Pigeon Army (and elab too, for that matter), have you heard his song "Lay Lady Lay"? He doesn't have such a nasal voice on that one. Check it out and tell me what you think. It's one of my favorites (though don't let that scare you into lying to my... well, the Brother's face).

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1547
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 10:09:54 AM   
elab49

Sorry Dante - I have (and many many more Dylans I wish I hadn't).

Impqueen - 1 I love (although it isn't strictly fair to say just because of Rains, I guess) - Invisible Man. One I don't so much but I do like Rains in it - Phantom of the Opera. And one I think I've seen but not for decades - The Man Who Watched Trains Go By. He's turned up twice on my noir list - The Unsuspected and in an odd role in Moontide.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 1548
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 10:23:21 AM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

Sorry Dante - I have (and many many more Dylans I wish I hadn't).

That's okay, at least you're honest. Don't be thinking about insulting Pink Floyd, though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1549
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 10:39:31 AM   
elab49

Aah. I shall try hard not to come across the subject on here, then.

quote:

Post #: 1550
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 11:50:26 AM   
impqueen

quote:

Impqueen - 1 I love (although it isn't strictly fair to say just because of Rains, I guess) - Invisible Man. One I don't so much but I do like Rains in it - Phantom of the Opera. And one I think I've seen but not for decades - The Man Who Watched Trains Go By. He's turned up twice on my noir list - The Unsuspected and in an odd role in Moontide.

The Invisible Man will chart very highly in my Top 100 it always does, a fantastic film, The Phantom of the Opera is an average film but Rains is worth the watch. The Man Who Watched Trains go by has only recently been available hasn’t it, on DVD? I know I only added it to my Amazon wish list on the 26th of March.  I have not seen it in years either. I haven’t seen Moontide but I love The Unsuspected, it has Rains in one of my favourite roles.   

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1551
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 11:54:24 AM   
elab49

quote:

The Man Who Watched Trains go by has only recently been available hasn’t it, on DVD?

It must have been a bit earlier but I wouldn't be surprised - I was looking for something else in Fopp a while back and came across it. It was only a few pounds so that was my buy for that week.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1552
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 11:56:53 AM   
impqueen

March
01.     There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2008) USA
02.     LA. Confidential (Hanson, 1997) USA
03.     Zodiac (Fincher, 2007) USA
04.     Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942) USA
05.     In Bruges (McDonagh, 2008) IRE/UK
06.     Lone Star (Sayles, 1996) USA
07.     Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Meyer, 1991) USA
08.     Dark City (Proyas, 1998) AUS/USA
09.     Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Nimoy, 1986) USA
10.     Star Trek: First Contact (Frakes, 1996) USA 

11.     Eight Men Out (Sayles, 1988) USA
12.     Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Meyer, 1982) USA
13.     The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert (Elliot, 1994) Aus
14.     Kung Fu Hustle (Chow, 2004) CHN/HK
15.     The Damned United (Hooper, 2009) UK (First View) 
16.     Working Girl (Nichols, 1988) USA
17.     Bottle Shock (Miller, 2008) USA
18.     Mister Roberts (Ford/LeRoy, 1955) USA
19.     C .R .A .Z .Y.  (Vallée, 2005) CAN/Fr
20.     Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932) Fr/Ger

21.     Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Nimoy, 1984) USA
22.     Forbidden Planet (Wilcox, 1956) USA
23.     Sabrina (Pollock, 1995) USA
24.     Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Wise, 1979) USA
25.     Star Trek: Insurrection (Frakes, 1998) USA
26.     Hairspray (Shankman, 2007) USA
27.     The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Adamson, 2008) USA/UK
28.     Star Trek Generations (Carson, 1994) USA
29.     Watchmen (Snyder, 2009) USA (First View)
30.     Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Shatner, 1989) USA

31.     Star Trek: Nemesis (Baird, 2002) USA
32.     The Haunted Mansion (Minkoff, 2003) USA

2000: 11
1990: 09
1980: 07
1970: 01  
1950: 02
1940: 01
1930: 01   

First View: 02  

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1553
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 12:00:08 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

March
06.     Lone Star (Sayles, 1996) USA 
11.     Eight Men Out (Sayles, 1988) USA

A Sayles fan too?  And another reassuringly good opinion of The Damned United.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1554
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 12:09:53 PM   
rick_7

quote:

141. Dont Look Back (1967, Pennebaker) - 2/5
For a film that's around 90 minutes long, every second of this direct cinema-style doco following Bob Dylan on his 1965 tour of England is absolutely painfully slow and dragged out. This film nearly put me to sleep, it was that unbelievably dull and uninteresting. Pennebaker's aim of putting reality in the lens through long takes and unintrusive camerawork is noble, but he couldn't have chosen a more uninteresting subject than Dylan, who is incredibly dull with occasional spurts of mildly brilliant insight wrapped in incredible twattishness (the scene in which he is interviewed by a Time magazine reporter illustrates this - while Dylan makes a very good point about how it's not in the best interests of Time or any news magazine to publish 'the truth', due to financial reasons, political reasons etc., he's an absolute prick about it and essentially bullies the reporter because he can't help being a dick). Add to that that reading War & Peace would probably feel like it takes less time than watching this film, the editing of this film is all over the place, with scenes just thrown together in a rough chronological fashion, and the characters are often incredibly hard to listen to when they talk, and the neat cinematography and noble aim really shine like rings in a pile of shit.

Interesting review. As a Dylan fan, Dont Look Back is a peculiar watch, giving virtually no insight into his genius (yes I would go that far - and I hope I don't stretch to hyperbole too readily), instead painting him as a petulant, smirking, self-centred brat. It calls to mind that Dylan quote: "It's not me, it's the songs. I'm just the postman - I deliver the songs"; it's as if the "wild mercury sound" he was about to perfect and his labyrinthine lyrics came directly from God, via this cocky, irritating youth. There's certainly a strong parallel with Amadeus there.

I wonder if Pennebaker had something of an agenda, because while the film is watchable, it's one-dimensional as a portrait of the artist as a young man. No Direction Home has its flaws (a lack of focus, too many talking heads adding nothing, Dylan's usual evasiveness) but offers a far more rounded picture of Dylan during the same period. A fascinating though no less scrappy companion piece to Dont Look Back (that missing apostrophe annoys me) is the much-bootlegged Eat the Document. Unlike the other two docs, that doesn't feature Joan Baez, which is a major plus.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 1555
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 12:22:45 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Them's fighting words!

It's not you I'm baiting, Gimmers. Get back in your cage.

I actually pretty much agree with you.

Much more better!

Post #: 1556
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 1:46:01 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

Go and listen to Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde now. Right now.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 1557
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 1:50:32 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

That's okay, at least you're honest. Don't be thinking about insulting Pink Floyd, though.

Don't you mean Shit Floyd. Hehe.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 1558
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 2:05:42 PM   
Dantes Inferno

How is Pink Floyd shit?

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 1559
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 31/3/2009 2:07:15 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

How is Pink Floyd shit?

The Syd Barrett era is awesome. After that...

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 1560
Page:   <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  50 51 [52] 53 54   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI