Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 28/11/2009 9:55:52 PM   
paul_ie86

I had the exact same "Is this it?" reaction I had when I saw Blair Witch.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 7921
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 28/11/2009 10:36:14 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Don't push your luck.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 7922
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 30/11/2009 8:46:35 AM   
Piles

The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton)
“The Innocents” is the story of Miss Giddens (Deborah Kerr), who gets a job looking after two children in a giant country estate. Upon first arrival, everything seems to be fine, and the job seems too good to be true. And, in films, when it seems that something is too good to be true, it probably is. What follows over the next two hours is some of the most eerie, atmospheric, and suspense-filled cinema that I’ve ever seen. Director Jack Clayton is in full knowledge that mood and tone can be much scarier than a few quick thrills, and so he dwells directly in that area of horror. The cinematography, black and white with an almost glossy feel, evokes the mood of a ghost story, and the sombre music is enough to get the stoutest heart pumping. The image of a lady, cloaked and veiled in black, slowly rising from across the lake is superbly done, and is just one of many brilliant scary moments that the film has in its arsenal. Martin Stephens’ performance is another of the film’s best points. Eerie and quietly menacing, it’s never quite clear whether Stephens’ Miles is actually possessed by demons or just a normal, run-of-the-mill young lad with a chip on his shoulder. What is clear, though, is that he has a hell of an effect on Kerr’s Giddens. The film makes a conscious decision to keep the true nature of her being a secret from the viewer. Is she insane, or is she the only one who can see what is actually there? The film is successful as both a ghost story and a psychological analysis. There are only a couple of negatives, which are almost not worth mentioning. I’m not a hundred per cent sure about Deborah Kerr’s performance. After her brilliance in the P+P masterpieces that are “the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp” and “Black Narcissus”, I’m not sure that she actually gets the character she’s playing. In the second half, when the character’s psyche takes a turn for the worse, she nails it, but for the first stretches she comes across as Mary Poppins on Prozac. Quint is also disappointingly handled. Beyond Peter Wyngarde’s sinister look, he doesn’t really bring anything to the film, apart from a clichéd, evil laugh, and one of the film’s least scary moments. Still, for the majority of the runtime, “the Innocents” is an atmospheric ghost story with more than enough eeriness to overcome the lack of out-and-out laughs. 4/5.

Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959, Alain Resnais)
Legend has it that Alain Resnais made three masterpieces towards the start of his career. “Last Year at Marienbad”, which is a bleak and enigmatic tale of memory and love in an elaborate country manner, certainly holds that title. It’s the greatest puzzle you’ll never solve. “Night and Fog”, the Second World War documentary about the concentration camps, is certainly less of an entertaining watch, but one that is just as worth while. The third and final one that I finally got round to watching the other night is “Hiroshima Mon Amour”, Resnais’ narrative film about a woman who meets, sleeps with, and kind of falls for a Japanese man on a visit to Hiroshima. It begins with a sequence just as philosophic and enigmatic as the entirety of “Last Year at Marienbad”. For fifteen minutes, Resnais uses montage – utilizing short, sharp shots and voiceovers – to create a feeling of hysteria, asking questions about the nature and reliability of memory. From there, Resnais changes course slightly, moving away from the memory montage into narrative, discussing the fates of his two lead characters, played by Emmanuelle Riva and Eiji Okada. He swaps short sharp cuts for long, leisurely paced shots, generally chronicling the conversations about their past, present, and future. The only problem is that Resnais rarely reaches the dizzy heights of those first fifteen minutes, which are utterly captivating despite their lack of actual narrative importance. There is a fine middle segment involving Elle’s past, in which Riva finally gets to stretch her acting chops and the character takes on a new life, and it would be unfair – and plainly incorrect – of me to call the concluding hour of this film anything less than excellent, but after the superb opening it does move down a notch to find its comfort zone. 4/5.

A Serious Man (2009, Joel Coen)
For a film so unquestionably concerned with one character, “A Serious Man” takes a look at the grandest theme of all, being the haphazard nature of life. It tackles the nature of fate and chance. The majority of the characters that live in the film’s world are Jews, and the majority of those are stern believers in their faith. Whilst the Coens never quite step on the toes of the believers, they certainly do make a mockery of the religion in question. Visits to the rabbis are accompanied by false prophecies and ridiculous philosophies, and for the most part Gopnik’s own stretches to be a good, Jewish man are met with unfortunate accidents and bad karma. It seems like the director’s modus operandi is to reduce religion – not just Judaism specifically – to the shambles that it is, and to expose life for the haphazard series of events that it actually is, but I don’t think that is the case. The Coens appear to be lauding religion, not condemning it, for its good points, like the way it brings people together, and its ability to keep those in acceptance away from casual nihilism. But the comments on fate being simply random are still very much present. The Coens are old hands at viewing their characters like a cruel child would view ants through a magnifying glass – most likely with the sun beaming through it – and they continue that time honoured tradition here. Larry joins the likes of Macy’s Jerry from “Fargo”, Bridges’ the Dude in “the Big Lebowski”, and Clooney’s Everett in “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” as characters unfortunate enough to have Joel and Ethan Coen as their overlords. Scene by scene, the brothers add more and more misfortune to Larry’s life and weight to his shoulders, with barely any respite. Whether Larry is refusing bribes or taking them, attempting to win his wife back or fantasizing about having sex with a promiscuous neighbour, his luck goes from bad to worse. I guess some people are just unlucky, and in the Coens’ world, some people are most people. It’s not a perfect film. The stereotyping of a South Korean student, and particularly his father, is far from funny, and doesn’t really ring true in the grander scheme of things. The opening twenty minutes feels uneasy, too, particularly after the Polish prologue is out of the way. There isn’t really much humour, and it takes a while to re-adjust to a Coen world that we haven’t really visited for the best part of a decade. In fact, the post-credits sequences are nothing short of a mess, and I was beginning to wonder if the hype was undeserved, and the positive critical opinion unfounded. Needless to say, though, is that the film soon finds its feet, and when it does it’s just about as good as the Coens have ever managed to put on film. Often hilarious, often thought-provoking, and always thoroughly engaging, “A Serious Man” is one of the only triumphs of American film this year, and will probably sit amongst my top ten when we come to the end of it. 4/5.

Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975, Pier Pablo Pasolini)
Pier Pablo Pasolini’s most famous film is undoubtedly “Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom”, which tells the story of nine boys and nine girls who are kidnapped and held against their will in an impressive looking country mansion. Inside the building, four authority figures live out every sexual fantasy they’ve ever had, with the aid of a clan of harlots who are present to describe some of their sickest sexual encounters. What occurs over the resulting one hundred and twenty minutes is utterly disturbing, with the young people forced into despicable sexual and violent acts. It’s not a pleasant film to watch by any means; the sickest scenes are shown in full, uncensored, and unflinching form, and Pasolini goes to great lengths in order to put his viewer off. It does have a point though. The film is about abuse of power and corruption, with the four men in charge the only characters who are fleshed out to any extent, and the eighteen youths simply present to get across the point. Even more interesting is the impact that it has on the viewer. It seems odd that we should find a woman eating shit even more disgusting than a man having his eyeball stabbed, but Pasolini’s comments on sexual depravity holding even more of a taboo than murder and torture are well handled and exquisitely delivered. It also seems like a back handed insult to average cinema goers, who queue up to films that live and die upon their sexual content and violent scenes, as if Pasolini is saying, “this is what you asked for”. It’s certainly not a film as pointless as its premise would suggest, and there’s a lot of interesting social commentary to make it worth while, I just don’t ever want to watch it again. Ever. 4/5.

The Machinist (2004, Brad Anderson)
Reviewed earlier on in the thread. 3/5.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 7923
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 30/11/2009 9:52:30 AM   
Pigeon Army

60. Trainspotting (1996, Boyle) - 4.5/5
"Choose life." This hollow mantra is oft-vocalised in Danny Boyle's sophomore film, a kinetic, confrontational tale of one man and his battle with drugs, crime, and his friends. It's a cunning way to open the film, equating "life" with the most dreary, ugly, bourgeois aspects of our everyday consumer existence, and it makes the life Mark Renton and his "so-called friends" live almost inviting. That invitation is extended for all of five seconds until Boyle snatches it away, revealing to us the hell he's spared us - because, despite the very real high one gets off heroin, that comes with a whole world of depravity, ugliness and pain. It's then that we realise that, while our life ain't to grand, our narrator, Renton, isn't one to talk, and by the end of the film, even he's come to realise this in the most unmissable of ways. Boyle and screenwriter John Hodge adapt Irvine Welsh's novel with an eye to present the reality of the junkie, but not in a kitchen sink drama kind of way. Boyle's direction and editing, combining with the slightly off-the-wall nature of the characters and the performances that bring them to life, makes the highs heavenly and the lows hellish; every emotion is heightened so that we can feel every curve and pockmark; Boyle's camera catches the depravity and darkness on screen and makes sure we don't forget it. Trainspotting is a cinematic rollercoaster ride in a very true sense - every dip and dive is felt, every climb uphill comes with the knowledge that just over the hill you will plummet at a much faster speed. It's an exhilarating and unforgettable ride, and its unflinching, honest (yet stylised) portrayal of drug use and drug addiction is probably one of the best arguments for "choosing life" to ever be put on film.

93. La cité des enfants perdus (The City of Lost Children) (1995, Jeunet & Caro) – 4.5/5
Marc Caro's and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's follow-up to their brilliant 1991 film, Delicatessen, is about as demented and dark a fairy tale as you'd expect from the two. Following the gentle giant with a limited vocabulary, One, and the street-smart young orphan Miette, The City of Lost Children is populated with peculiarities and overloaded with oddities, to the point that some of them feel tacked on or not especially well realised (the cult of Cyclopses and the diminuitive Mademoiselle Bismuth in particular). However, Jeunet and Caro create a fully believable and enchanting world that's marked with their creative fingerprints, be that in its structure, the way things happen within it (Jeunet's appreciation for the art of the convoluted coincidence shows up several times here), the general atmosphere of the place, or the way it is shot. Ron Perlman and Judith Vittet inhabit the two leads, endowing them with the required heart and a surprising range and depth of emotion, and Daniel Emilfork is excellent in the role of Krank, the villain tortured by his inability to dream. However, the best performances are in the supports, particularly Dominique Pinon in seven different, equally hilarious, roles, and Genevieve Brunet and Odile Mallet as a pair of detestable Siamese twins. Angelo Badalamenti's score is up there with his best work, immediately atmospheric and totally fitting within the world of Jeunet and Caro, and Darius Khondji's cinematography is as evocative and spectacular as his work in Delicatessen and Se7en. It may not be Jeunet's or Caro's best work, but The City of Lost Children is still as magical and imaginative as anything they've done, and that's really what matters.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7924
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 30/11/2009 10:10:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

November stats, because I know you love them. 

01.    Brick (2005, Johnson) – 5/5**
02.    Trainspotting (1996, Boyle) – 4.5/5

03.    Le dernier métro (The Last Metro) (1980, Truffaut) – 4.5/5
04.    Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) (1988, Takahata) – 4.5/5
05.    Human Nature (2001, Gondry) – 4.5/5
06.    Banchikwang (The Foul King) (2000, Kim) – 4.5/5
07.    La cité des enfants perdus (The City of Lost Children) (1995, Jeunet & Caro) – 4.5/5

08.    Gattaca (1997, Niccol) – 4.5/5
09.    Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988, Davies) – 4.5/5
10.    New York, New York (1977, Scorsese) – 4.5/5

11.    Twelve Monkeys (1995, Gilliam) – 4/5
12.    Du rififi chez les hommes (Rififi) (1955, Dassin) – 4/5
13.    Last Night (1998, McKellar) – 4/5
14.    The Innocents (1961, Clayton) – 4/5
15.    Fanny och Alexander (Fanny and Alexander) (Director's Cut) (1982, Bergman) – 4/5
16.    Deliverance (1972, Boorman) – 4/5
17.    Elephant (2003, Van Sant) – 4/5
18.    Ion non ho paura (I'm Not Scared) (2003, Salvatores) – 4/5
19.    Grown in Detroit (2009, Poppenk & Poppenk) – 4/5
20.    The Locals (2003, Page) – 3.5/5

21.    Ôdishon (Audition) (1999, Miike) – 3.5/5
22.    L'amour l'après-midi (Chloe in the Afternoon) (1972, Rohmer) – 3.5/5
23.    Marley & Me (2008, Frankel) – 2.5/5
24.    Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, Wrath of God) (1972, Herzog) – 2.5/5*
25.    The Kingdom (2007, Berg) – 2.5/5
26.    Freedomland (2006, Roth) – 2/5
27.    Timber Falls (2007, Giglio) – 1.5/5

SHORT FILMS
01.    Rabbit Seasoning (1952, Jones) – 4.5/5*
02.    Rabbit Fire (1951, Jones) – 4.5/5**
03.    Duck! Rabbit, Duck! (1953, Jones) – 4/5*

Decade Breakdown
2000s - 11
90s - 06
80s - 04
70s - 04
60s - 01
50s - 04
40s - 00
30s - 00
20s - 00
10s - 00
1900s - 00

Top 10 Performances of November
01.    Deborah Kerr as Miss Giddens (The Innocents, 1961)
02.    Heinz Bennent as Lucas Steiner (The Last Metro, 1980)
03.    Song Kang-ho as Dae-Ho (The Foul King, 2000)
04.    Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Brendan (Brick, 2005)
05.    Dominique Pinon as Le Scaphandrier / Le Clones (The City of Lost Children, 1995)
Rhys Ifans as Puff (Human Nature, 2001)
07.    Jan Malmsjo as Bishop Edvard Vergerus (Fanny and Alexander, 1982)
08.    Ewan McGregor as Mark Renton (Trainspotting, 1996)
09.    Martin Stephens as Miles / Pamela Franklin as Flora (The Innocents, 1961)
10.    Brad Pitt as Jeffrey Goines (Twelve Monkeys, 1995)   

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 30/11/2009 10:24:31 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 7925
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/11/2009 10:38:08 AM   
elab49

The Madagascar Penguins in Xmas Caper (Trousdale, 2005) 
Film, Film, Film (Khitruk, 1968)
Geri’s Game (Pinkava, 1997)
The Sandman (Berry, 1992)
There Once Was A Dog (Nazarov, 1982)
Jack-Jack Attack (Bird, 2005)
The Big Snit (Condie, 1984)
To Beep or Not To Beep (Jones, 1963)
Anna and Bella (Ring, 1984) 
The Bloody Olive (Bal, 1996)
More (Osborne, 1998)
Six Shooter (McDonagh, 2005)
Mouse Trouble (Hanna/Barbera, 1944)
Partie de Campagne (Renoir, 1936)
Fast and the Furry-Ous (Jones, 1949)
Au Bout de Monde (Bronzit, 1999)
Creature Comforts 
Baseball Bugs
La Maison en petit cubes (Kato, 2008)
Peter and the Wolf (Templeton, 2006)
Kiwi! (Permedi, 2006)
Quiet Please! (Hanna/Barbera, 1945)
Hedgehog in the Fog (Norsteyn, 1975)
For the Birds (Eggleston, 2000)
12. A Grand Day Out
Vinnie Pukh (Khitruk, 1969) 
A Matter of Loaf and Death (Park, 2008)
Presto (Sweetland, 2008)
Rabbit Fire (Jones, 1951)
Rabbit Seasoning (Jones, 1952)
Duck! Rabbit, Duck! (Jones, 1953)
Burn-E (McLane, 2008)
The Wrong Trousers (Park, 1993)
A Close Shave (Park, 1995)

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 7926
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/11/2009 10:49:34 AM   
elab49

Silent Running (Trumbull, 1972)

Obsessed environmentalist takes action when earth's last greenery – being preserved on massive spaceships – is to be destroyed and the corporate drones to return home. Directed by SFX guy Trumbull, even taking into account the earlier segments with the raucous companions, it is a fascinating piece of 70s pessimism and environmental propaganda with an extremely good central performance from Bruce Dern and the anthropomorphic Huey and Dewey (Louie meets an early end) – apparently played by double amputees, it is clear they aren't just to be taken as soulless robots as they all but roll their eyes at some of Lowell's antics, eg, when playing cards. Some of the ship footage can clearly be seen in other shows – the dome itself still looks like the short-lived ship in the BSG update.

Triangle (Smith, 2009)

SPOILERS

Another time-twisting film for the year but superior to Timecrimes and it is pretty clear the director is a fan of Primer. Smith also made the very enjoyable Severance but this has none of that films humour as George's lead gets caught in increasingly complex timeline crossovers that on the ship, I think, tips over into just a little too long, but not by much. There is one excellent shock shot, but the repeat becomes almost expected later on because they initial one has such a great effect.

The Counterfeiters (Ruzowitzky, 2007)

Based on the true story of the German attempt to undermine the currency/economy of the allies by using forgers from concentration camps. It is reasonably well told with an impressive if somewhat withdrawn lead performance but, IMO, Private Schulz is still the better bet.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/11/2009 10:50:16 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7927
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 30/11/2009 7:54:30 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Based on the true story of the German attempt to undermine the currency/economy of the allies by using forgers from concentration camps. It is reasonably well told with an impressive if somewhat withdrawn lead performance but, IMO, Private Schulz is still the better bet.

Did you like the cinematography? The DV felt a bit out of place for me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7928
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 12:07:08 AM   
paul_ie86

Stats for November:
3. If.... (Anderson, 1968)
53. Hard Candy (Slade, 2005)
58. Stalag 17 (Wilder, 1953)
135. Paranormal Activity (Peli, 2009)
148. The Room (Wiseau, 2003)

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 7929
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 12:56:32 AM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Pier Pablo Pasolini's most famous film is undoubtedly "Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom” 4/5.

Lol.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7930
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 9:07:49 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

Pier Pablo Pasolini's most famous film is undoubtedly "Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom” 4/5.

Lol.

I always seem to call him that, for some reason. That's what I thought it was the first time I heard of him, and it's kind of stuck, despite being corrected many times . I hardly think it's lolworthy though.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 7931
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 9:23:36 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

Lol.

I always seem to call him that, for some reason. That's what I thought it was the first time I heard of him, and it's kind of stuck, despite being corrected many times . I hardly think it's lolworthy though.

It is lolworthy, if only because it makes him sound a little like a South American drug lord.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 7932
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 10:37:04 AM   
Pigeon Army

I had to kill time today, so I did what I always do when I want to kill a few hours in town - GO TO THE MOOFIES! 

88. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009, Lord & Miller) - 4.5/5
There's nothing better than going into a film knowing very little about it and being pleasantly surprised by it. Other than one forum member's ecstatic recommendation, the basic synopsis, and one painfully ugly screenshot, I went into Cloudy knowing nothing about it - and was pleasantly surprised by just how fantastic it was. Written and directed by Clone High creators Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Cloudy shares that superlative television show's sense of humour and (oddly, given Clone High was a 2D show) artistic style. While the art style looks unpleasant in stills, in motion the film is a visual feast (forgive the pun), with Lord and Miller's characteristically crazily-proportioned characters and peculiar production designs rendered in striking colours and given a kind of elastic life that is oddly endearing. But great animation is a dime a dozen these days, and Up's animation was far more striking - which comes to what sets this film apart from that other big animated release of 2009. Where Up balanced the comedy and the drama and the uplifting moments with aplomb, Cloudy's first and foremost concern is that the film is funny, and everything falls in place as a result of that. The characters, excellently realised by a bizarre array of voice actors that includes Neil Patrick Harris, Mr. T, Bruce Campbell and James Caan, are naturally hilarious beings, their traits and neuroses fueling a large number of the gags and proving characters that can be invested in and enjoyed very easily. Even aside from that, Lord's and Miller's writing and direction is superlative, providing a hilarious script with a hit-rate that would put most professional shooters to shame, and growing from the jokes and the characters a natural heart and appealing warmth. On top of that, it's a script that deals with a lot of themes, most of them well (though the criticism of Western isolationism I'm reading into it may not necessarily be intended, and the "eating healthy" theme isn't especially well-realised). In a sense, Cloudy is nearly on a par with Up as the animated film of the year, and is definitely a delicious treat that deserves to be savoured by all consumers (sorry).

And to think I went into it with virtually no expectation of how good it would be - why, it's almost like what a revered critic once said, I put my expectations aside, let the film play out, and was rewarded. What a concept!

208. Flammen & Citronen (Flame & Citron) (2008, Christian Madsen) - 4/5
The most expensive film in Danish history, this $10mil production should have, and could easily have, been so much more than it was. A film about the Danish Resistance in World War 2 and, in particular, two of its biggest heroes, the gingervitis-afflicted Bent and the bespectacled Jorgen, Flame & Citron easily set itself up for a look at what truly makes a hero in wartime, the hypocrisy of the ideal of wartime heroes, and a Danish perspective on the whole "war is hell" rigmarole that's been done to death by the US. However, scriptwriters Lars Andersen and Ole Christian Madsen seem more concerned with what the two Resistance assassins actually did instead of why they did what they did, with everyone's motivation, including our heroes', being cloudy and suspect. In this sense, the film captures well the dilemma faced by Resistance fighters in that the other side was not as distinguishable as being on the other side of a field of mud and barbed wire, and we're caught up in Bent's and Jorgen's constantly paranoid states, unable to trust anyone and having to trust everyone. However, other than this, the film seems loathe to touch on any deeper themes - the impact of his fighting on Jorgen's family life is woefully under-acknowledged and plays out in a rote manner; while we're constantly told of how Bent and Jorgen are "heroes", this seems to have little impact on them and we seem to have little understanding of the effect this has on others; and the film becomes lost in its own second half - much like Bent and Jorgen in real life - as the two try to kill Hoffman, the Head of the Gestapo. It's an inventively-shot, regularly thrilling war film with a few interesting, if not necessarily original, things to say about the nature of guerilla warfare, and Mads Mikkelsen and Thure Lindhardt give excellent central performances as the melancholic, sleep-deprived Citron and the young, idealistic Flame. It just lacks anything to really set it apart from the crowd, and it is a very big crowd.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 7933
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 12:39:58 PM   
Harry Lime

And so into December. With one more month of film-watching left, here's how my list stands....

Naked (1993, Leigh)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950, Huston)
The Innocents (1961, Clayton)
Les quatre cents coups (1959, Truffaut)
Sciuscià (1946, De Sica)
A Taste Of Honey (1961, Richardson)
Les Diaboliques (1955, Clouzot)
JFK (1991, Stone)
Le mépris (1963, Godard)
Local Hero (1983, Forsyth)

There Will Be Blood (2007, Anderson)
The Invisible Man (1933, Whale)
Le souffle au coeur (1971, Malle)
F For Fake (1974, Welles)
The War Game (1965, Watkins)
Unforgiven (1992, Eastwood)
Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls (1970, Meyer)
Whistle Down The Wind (1961, Forbes)
Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution (1965, Godard)
Hobson's Choice (1953, Lean)

Peeping Tom (1960, Powell)
Du rififi chez les hommes (1955, Dassin)
Written On The Wind (1956, Sirk)
Bob le flambeur (1956, Melville)
Trouble In Paradise (1932, Lubitsch)
Touchez pas au grisbi (1954, Becker)
I Love You Again (1940, Van Dyke)
À bout de souffle (1959, Godard)
The Spiral Staircase (1945, Siodmak)
The Elephant Man (1980, Lynch)

Libelled Lady (1936, Conway)
Days Of Heaven (1978, Malick)
Céline et Julie vont en bateau (1974, Rivette)
Casque d'or (1952, Becker)
The Lady From Shanghai (1947, Welles)
Bande á part (1964, Godard)
Au revoir les enfants (1987, Malle)
Brick (2005, Johnson)
The Quiet Man (1952, Ford)
Network (1976, Lumet)

Jules et Jim (1962, Truffaut)
Låt den rätte komma in (2008, Alfredson)
Up (2009, Docter)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984, Leone)
Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (1958, Malle)
The Getaway (1972, Peckinpah)
It Happened One Night (1934, Capra)
Ugetsu Monogatari (1953, Mizoguchi)
Only Angels Have Wings (1939, Hawks)
To Be Or Not To Be (1942, Lubitsch)

The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three (1974, Sargent)
Ryan's Daughter (1970, Lean)
Love Crazy (1941, Conway)
Jackie Brown (1997, Tarantino)
Pierrot le fou (1965, Godard)
12 Angry Men (1957, Lumet)
Funny Games (1997, Haneke)
In Bruges (2008, McDonagh)
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons From The Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003, Morris)
Gregory's Girl (1981, Forsyth)

The Killer (1989, Woo)
Foreign Correspondent (1940, Hitchcock)
When The Wind Blows (1986, Murakami)
The Naked City (1948, Dassin)
Good Bye Lenin (2003, Becker)
Out Of The Blue (2006, Sarkies)
The Dresser (1983, Yates)
Night And The City (1950, Dassin)
Idioterne (1998, von Trier)
Batoru rowaiaru (2000, Fukasaku)

Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma (1975, Pasolini)
O Lucky Man! (1973, Anderson)
Wagon Master (1950, Ford)
Angel Face (1952, Preminger)
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965, Meyer)
Le deuxième souffle (1966, Melville)
La Pianiste (2001, Haneke)
Milk (2008, Van Sant)
Hamlet (1996, Branagh)
Vivacious Lady (1938, Stevens)

Magnificent Obsession (1954, Sirk)
Pretty Baby (1978, Malle)
Le petit soldat (1963, Godard)
Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004, McKay)
Tirez sur le pianiste (1960, Truffaut)
Changeling (2008, Eastwood)
Ice Cold In Alex (1958, Thompson)
Ghost World (2001, Zwigoff)
28 Days Later... (2002, Boyle)
The Wrestler (2008, Aronofsky)

Silent Running (1972, Trumbull)
Spellbound (1945, Hitchcock)
Il Decameron (1971, Pasolini)
Le feu follet (1963, Malle)
The Cooler (2003, Kramer)
Frost / Nixon (2008, Howard)
Man On Wire (2008, Marsh)
Alfie (1966, Gilbert)
Une femme est une femme (1961, Godard)
Les Amants (1958, Malle)

The Devil And Daniel Webster (1941, Dieterle)
The Tales Of Hoffman (1951, Powell/ Pressburger)
Boomerang! (1947, Kazan)
Ai no corrida (1976, Ôshima)
Gran Torino (2008, Eastwood)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008, Allen)
If I Had A Million (1932, Cruze/ Humberstone/ Lubitsch/ McLeod/ Roberts/ Seiter/ Taurog)
Wall-E (2008, Stanton)
L'air de Paris (1954, Carne)
The Deadly Companions (1961, Peckinpah)

Milou en mai (1990, Malle)
Mulholland Dr. (2001, Lynch)
Der Amerikanische Freund (1977, Wenders)
Atlantic City (1980, Malle)
Old School (2003, Phillips)
Revolutionary Road (2008, Mendes)
Starship Troopers (1997, Verhoeven)
Tabu (1931, Murnau)
I racconti di Canterbury (1972, Pasolini)
Ocean's Eleven (2001, Soderburgh)

Sunshine (2007, Boyle)
Before Sunrise (1995, Linklater)
Carefree (1938, Sandrich)
Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince (2009, Yates)
District 9 (2009, Blomkamp)
Star Trek (2009, Abrams)
Lacombe Lucien (1974, Malle)
Cloverfield (2008, Reeves)
El Orfanato (2007, Bayona)
Appunti per un'Orestiade africana (1970, Pasolini)

The Duchess (2008, Dibb)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008, Boyle)
Bis ans Ende der Welt (1991, Wenders)
Dirty Dancing (1987, Ardolino)
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982, Reiner)
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008, Fincher)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (2007, Burton)
Cat Ballou (1965, Silverstein)
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (1995, Fleder)
Music And Lyrics (2007, Lawrence)

The Men Who Stare At Goats (2009, Heslov)
17 Again (2009, Steers)
State Of Play (2009, Macdonald)
Anne Of Green Gables (1934, Nichols Jr.)
Insomnia (2002, Nolan)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008, Darnell/ McGrath)
The Reader (2008, Daldry)
Enemy At The Gates (2001, Annaud)
Night Passage (1957, Neilson)

Les clan des Siciliens (1969, Verneuil)
Doubt (2008, Shanley)
The Great Dictator (1940, Chaplin)
Burn After Reading (2008, Coen/ Coen)
Zazie dans le métro (1960, Malle)
Kung Fu Panda (2008, Osbourne/ Stevenson)
Hancock (2008, Berg)
Night At The Museum (2006, Levy)
Mamma Mia (2008, Lloyd)
Tropic Thunder (2008, Stiller)

The Holiday (2006, Meyers)
Black Moon (1975, Malle)
27 Dresses (2009, Fletcher)
Twilight (2008, Hardwicke)
Wanted (2008, Berkmambetov)
She's The Man (2006, Fickman)
The Devil Wears Prada (2006, Frankel)
He's Just Not That Into You (2009, Kwapis)
Love Affair (1939, McCarey)
The Italian Job (2003, Gray)

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001, Smith)
Love Actually (2003, Curtis)
Marley & Me (2008, Frankel)
Rachel Getting Married (2008, Demme)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006, Ratner)
Angels And Demons (2009, Howard)
Inglourious Basterds (2009, Tarantino)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009, Bay)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009, Hood)
Resident Evil: Extinction (2007, Mulcahy)

All In The Game (2006, O'Hanlon)
X Files: I Want To Believe (2008, Carter)
Nacho Libre (2006, Hess)
High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008, Ortega)
Halloween (2007, Zombie)
Point Of Origin (2002, Sigel)
Alien Vs Predator - Requiem (2007, Strause/ Strause)
Amityville III: The Demon (1983, Fleischer)

First Viewing

Films Viewed Per Decade

2000s - 77
1990s - 12
1980s - 12
1970s - 20
1960s - 21
1950s - 23
1940s - 12
1930s - 11
1920s - 0
1910s - 0
1900's - 0

Top Five Lead Actor Performances

Daniel Day-Lewis – There Will Be Blood
Albert Finney - The Dresser
William Holden - Network
Jean-Pierre Léaud – Les Quatre cent coups
David Thewlis - Naked

Top Five Lead Actress Performances

Isabelle Huppert – La Pianiste
Deborah Kerr – The Innocents
Susanne Lothar - Funny Games
Brooke Shields – Pretty Baby
Rita Tushingham – A Taste Of Honey

Top Five Supporting Actor Performances

Richard Harris – Unforgiven
Anthony Hopkins – The Elephant Man
Sam Jaffe - The Asphalt Jungle
Murray Melvin – A Taste Of Honey
Donald Sutherland – JFK

Top Five Supporting Actress Performances

Eileen Atkins - The Dresser
Dora Bryan – A Taste Of Honey
Jean Hagen – The Asphalt Jungle
Lea Massari - Le souffle au coeur
Lesley Sharp - Naked

Shorts (40 Minutes or less)

Partly Cloudy (2009, Sohn)

Cutting Moments (1997, Buck)
Les mistons (1957, Truffaut)

Charlotte et son Jules (1960, Godard)
The Musketeers Of Pig Alley (1913, Griffith)
Vive le tour (1962, Malle)

Bowl Of Oatmeal (1996, Post)
An Unseen Enemy (1912, Griffith)

Crack Dog (?, Kehoe)
Don't Nag Me (?, Healy/ Panaro)
The Principles Of Karma (1996, Wallace)

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 24/12/2009 6:48:07 PM >

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 7934
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 1:08:32 PM   
TRM

Im really glad you liked Cloudy PA! It seemed to have slipped under everyones radar  btw, have you read Eberts review of it? 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 7935
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 1:34:27 PM   
TRM

November list (and I have passed 400 features for the year ):

2. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952, Japan) -
18. Au revoir les enfants (Louis Malle, 1987, France/West Germany) -
33. Memories of murder (Joon-Ho Bong, 2003, South Korea) -
64. Magnificent obsession
(Douglas Sirk, 1954, USA) -

75. Police story
(Jackie Chan, 1985, Hong Kong) -

82. An American werewolf in London (John Landis, 1981, UK/USA) -
108. Animal house
(John Landis, USA, 1978) -

109. The cove (Louie Psihoyos, 2009, USA) -
129. J'accuse (Abel Gance, 1919, France) -
133. Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa, 1961, Japan) -
149. Ghost busters (Ivan Reitman, USA, 1984) -
155. The imaginarium of Dr Parnassus (Terry Gilliam, France/Canada/UK, 2009) -
160. The savage innocents (Nicholas Ray, 1960, France/Italy/UK) -
185. The little Norse Prince
(Isao Takahata, 1968, Japan) -

186. Bright star
(Jane Campion, 2009, UK/Australia/France) -

188. White ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009, Austria/Germany/France/Italy) -
190. Out of the blue (Robert Sarkies, New Zealand, 2006) -
194. Audition (Takeshi Miike, 1999, Japan/South Korea) -
197. Warrior King (Prachya Pinkaew, 2005, Thailand) -
204. An education (Lone Sherfig, UK, 2009) -
208. Police story 2 (Jackie Chan, 1988, Hong Kong) -
225. Killer of sheep (Charles Burnett, 1977, USA) -
237. Woman in the moon
(Fritz Lang, 1929, Germany) -

246. All about Lily Chou Chou
(Shunji Iwai, 2001, Japan) -

263. Love in the afternoon
(Eric Rohmer, 1972, France) -

275. Uzak
(Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2002, Turkey) -

277. The good girl
(Miguel Arteta, 2002, USA/Germany/Netherlands) -
282. The men who stare at goats (Grant Heslov, USA/UK, 2009) -
288. Cigarette burns (John Carpenter, 2005, USA) -
308. Taking Woodstock (Ang Lee, USA, 2009) -
320. Police story 4: First strike (Stanley Tong, Australia/Hong Kong/Russia/USA, 1996) -
334. Jennifer's body (Karyn Kusama, USA, 2009) -
338. Ghostbusters 2 (Ivan Reitman, 1989, USA) -
340. 9 (Shane Acker, USA, 2009) -
354. Last night
(Don McKellar, 1998, France/Canada) -

355. Shark attack 3: Megalodon
(David Worth, 2002, Israel/South Africa/USA) -

389. Harry Brown
(Daniel Barber, 2009, UK) -

392. Pineapple express (David Gordon Green, 2008, USA) -
399. Plan 9 from outer space
(Edward D. Wood jr, 1959, USA) -

Shorts:
4. The high sign (Buster Keaton & Edward F. Cline, 1921, 21mins) -
6. The play house
(Buster Keaton, 1921, 22mins) -

7. Most
(Bobby Garabedian, 2003, 30mins) -

8. Blitz wolf (Tex Avery, 1942, 8mins) -
14. Dr. Horribles sing along blog
(Joss Whedon, 2008, 45mins) -

16. 10 minutes
(Ahmed Imamovic, 2002, 10minutes) -

17. Rock-a-bye bear
(Tex Avery, 1952, 8mins) -

61. The critic (Ernest Plintoff, 1963, 4mins) -
91. A ninja pays half my rent
(Steven K. Tsuchida, 2003, 5mins) -

104. Das rad
(aka - Rocks, Chris Stenner & Arvid Uibel, 2003, 8mins) -

112. Doggy poo
(Oh-Sung Kwon, 2003, 30mins) -

126. Au secours!
(Abel Gance, 1924, 24mins) -

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 7936
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 4:37:45 PM   
chris_scott01

November list:

1. Les Misérables (1934, Raymond Bernard)
  2. Lightning (1952, Mikio Naruse)
  3. Yearning (1964, Mikio Naruse)
  4. Wooden Crosses (1932, Raymond Bernard)
  5. White Heat (1949, Raoul Walsh)
  6. L’Argent (1928, Marcel L’Herbier)
  7. Nanook of the North (1922, Robert Flaherty)
  8. L.627 (1992, Bertrand Tavernier)
  9. 7th Heaven (1927, Frank Borzage)
  10. The Unknown (1927, Tod Browning)
  11. Pépé le Moko (1936, Julien Duvivier)
  12. A Nous la Liberté (1931, René Clair)
  13. Under the Roofs of Paris (1930, René Clair)
  14. The Sun’s Burial (1960, Nagisa Oshima)
  15. Street Angel (1928, Frank Borzage)
  16. Le Million (1931, René Clair)
  17. Les Maîtres du Temps (1982, René Laloux)
  18. Les Vampires (1915, Louis Feuillade)
  19. The Judge and the Assassin (1976, Bertrand Tavernier)
  20. Let the Right One In (2008, Tomas Alfredson)
  21. Variety Lights (1950, Alberto Lattuada & Federico Fellini)
  22. Naked Youth (1960, Nagisa Oshima)
  23. Fantomas (1913-14, Louis Feuillade)
  24. April Story (1998, Shunji Iwai)
  25. No Man’s Land (2001, Danis Tanovic)
  26. La Cage aux Folles (1978, Edouard Molinaro)
  27. The Blood of a Poet (1930, Jean Cocteau)
  28. Nuit Rouges (1974, Georges Franju)
  29. The White Sheik (1952, Federico Fellini)
  30. Gandahar (1988, René Laloux)
  31. The Ten Commandments (1923, Cecille B. DeMille)
  32. The Lady and the Duke (2001, Eric Rohmer)
  33. Fantastic Planet (1973, René Laloux)
  34. Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008, Eric Brevig)

Great month.  Fantomas and Les Vampires took a while to get through but ultimately an enjoyable set of capers, barely a sign of over acting, which is quite surprising considering the hyped up nature of the books and the common methods of the time.  I've finally got an entry into my yearly top ten with Les Miserables, a sprawling epic covering envy, jealousy, lies, rebellion, hate, forgiveness, love and redemption (and probably a lot more!).  It's beautifully shot and tenderly acted.  Bernard the director has crafted a film that is so convincingly brimming with genuine emotion you'll hardly notice the nearly 5 hour run time. 

Not counting Kiarostami's Five which sits awkwardly at the bottom of my list for the year, November also saw the worst film enter the list.  The remake of Journey to the Center of the Earth encapsulated everything I hate about modern Hollywood productions, utter shit that fails on every level of entertainment.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 7937
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 6:38:55 PM   
Rhubarb

November for Moi

5. Amélie
7 Rashomon
17 Police Story
64 Silent Running
66 Goodbye Lenin
71 Escape from New York
75 Lady and the Tramp
82 J'Accuse
89 An American Werewolf in London
94 Bright Star
108 The Warrior King/The Protector
110 An Education
117 White Ribbon
151 Animal House
167 Be Kind Rewind
173 The Savage Inoocents
191 Police Story IV
196 Police Story II
212 Amelia
244 The Men Who Stare at Goats
249 Jennifers Body
296 Shark Attack 3
301 Twilight
305 Blood The Last Vampire
313 Harry Brown
323 Plan Nine from OUter Space

And the director league table going into the last month

1. Chuck Jones 20 (17)
2 John Carpenter 9 (7)
3. Jean-Luc Godard 8 (7)
4 Sam Raimi 7 (6)
= Charlie Chaplin 7 (6)
6 Fritz Frelang 5 (5)
7. Buster Keaton 5 (4)
8. Werner Herzog 4 (4)
=Orson Welles 4 (4)
= Robert McKimerson 4 (4)
= Martin Scorsese 4 (4)
= Stanley Kubrick 4 (4)
= Woody Allen 4 (4)

14 Sidney Lumet 4 (3)
= Terry Gilliam 4 (3)
16 John Woo 3 (3)
= Nick Broomfield 3 (3)
= Jean-PIerre Jeunet 3 (3)
= Terrence Young 3 (3)
= Akira Kurosawa 3 (3)
= Georges Mélies 3 (3)
= Todd Haynes 3 (3)
= Richard Linklater 3 (3)
= Darren Aronofsky 3 (3)
= Ridley Scott 3 (3)
= Stephen Frears 3 (3)

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 7938
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/12/2009 10:53:33 PM   
impqueen

November

17. Nostalghia (Tarkovsky, 1983) ITA/RUS (USSR) (Repeat Viewing)
62. The White Ribbon (Haneke, 2009) AUS/GER (First View)  

81. Mary and Max (Elliot, 2009) AUS
82. Mrs Pettigrew Lives for a Day (Nalluri, 2008) UK/USA (Repeat Viewing)
92. Meet Me in St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944) USA

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999) USA
Shadow of the Thin Man (Van Dyke, 1941) USA
Cold Souls (Barthes, 2009) USA/FR (First View)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (Heslov, 2009) USA/UK (First View)

Big Trouble in Little China (Carpenter, 1986) USA

Darkman (Raimi, 1990) USA
Taking Woodstock (Lee, 2009) USA (First View)
Heist (Mamet, 2001) USA (First View)
Muppet Treasure Island (Henson, 1996) USA

Little Voice (Herman, 1998) UK

Miss Congeniality (Petrie, 2000) USA
Paranormal Activity (Peli, 2007) USA (First View)

Lisbon (Milland, 1956) USA
Take the Lead (Friedlander, 2006) USA
Pineapple Express (Green, 2008) USA (First View)

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7939
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 2:02:15 AM   
Gram123

Ok, last 4 films.
I really can't be arsed to write much, and Opera is proving a to be a massive pain in the A, as it displays all the HTML tags when I'm trying to edit my list on P1, instead of rendering the fonts, bold, italic etc, and I don't know how to make it work like Firefox did.....

Anyway, in descending order of how they'll be rated...

030) Moon  (Duncan Jones, UK, 2009) - 7.5
Enjoyable film, liked it a lot. It fell down a little in a couple of places - like why didn't Sam ask "who are you and what the fuck is going on?" when he met t'other fella? But I liked the revelations and the resolution.

069) Public Enemies  (Michael Mann, USA, 2009) - 6.5
I had high hopes for this when it was first mentioned, but then almost everything I heard since has been quite negative. With all the talk of the digital filming being inappropriate for the period the film was set, I was expecting some sort of rapid motion effect like in 28 Days Later or something (whatever that technique's called).
In the watching of it, it wasn't as bad as I'd come to expect, and the fact that it was digital didn't make any real odds, IMHO. More important was that the story and script simply weren't as gripping as they could have been. Bale was flat, and I didn't take to either Cotillard or Stephen Graham in their roles.

085) Max Manus: Man of War  (Joachim Rønning & Espen Sandberg, Norway / Denmark, 2008) - 6.0
This may climb above Public Enemies when I slot it into the list, I'm not certain yet. It was quite good, but no more than quite. The guy playing Max reminded me of a young Steve Buscemi.

142) Martyrs  (Pascal Laugier, France, 2008) - 3.5
SPOILERS - sort of.
Had some promise in the first half, whilst being rather grim, though Lucie's twist was blatantly obvious from about 10 mins in.
In the second half, the film completely went to shit - the brutality started off being shocking, but because of it's excessive duration, it just became a dull, miserable endurance test. The reason for the brutality was utterly ridiculous, the concept was complete hogwash. The end of the film was a total cop out.
Or rather, the writers didn't have much choice of how to finish the film - they could never have actually given anything like a viable explanation of what Anna was supposed to have seen - it would have just sounded shite. For me, that makes the brutality in the preceding scenes even more needlessly excessive. That ending simply doesn't justify the means. Balls.

< EDIT: Amended to including ratings and placings >

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 2/12/2009 12:25:09 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 7940
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 10:23:37 AM   
MOTH

Caught up on several 2009 releases this November:

22.             Frozen River (Courtney Hunt, 2009) – 8/10
24.             Star Trek (JJ Abrams, 2009) – 8/10
25.             Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009) – 8/10
38.             Looking for Eric (Ken Loach, 2009) – 7/10
40.             Coraline (Henry Selick, 2009) – 7/10
41.             Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi, 2009) – 7/10
52.             Moonrise (Frank Borzage, 1948) – 7/10
69.             The Kid (Charlie Chaplin, 1921) – 6/10
92.             Public Enemies (Michael Mann, 2009) – 4/10

and kicked off December with these two

Letters from Iwo Jima (Eastwood, 2006)
Well assembled and acted, but only stirs the emotions on a couple of occasions. (7/10)

Bridge to Terabithia (Gabor Csupo, 2007)
A mostly predictable, but rather sweet affair, with nice performances and it's not afraid to take the story into darker territory
to give it some gravitas. Not as good as the similar The Mighty, but still passable entertainment (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 7941
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 2:39:33 PM   
elab49

I have seen a lot more but because I've spent so long on shorts I've barely written any up - so it looks like I've barely watched any.

The HoF entries

Last Night (McKellar, 1998)
Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata, 1988)
Aguirre, Wrath of God (Herzog, 1972)
Love in the Afternoon (Rohmer, 1972)
The Innocents (Clayton, 1961)
Out of the Blue (Sarkies, 2006)

Fanny and Alexander (Bergman, 1982)
Audition (Miike, 1999)
New York, New York (Scorsese, 1977)
Sans Soleil (Marker, 1983)
Rififi (Dassin, 1955)

The Rest

Distant Voices, Still Lives (Davies, 1988)
Mother (Bong, 2009)
Moon (Jones, 2009)
Silent Running (Trumbull, 1972)
El Dorado (Hawks, 1966)
Dawn of the Dead (Snyder, 2004)
Drag Me To Hell (Raimi, 2009)
Cosi (Joffe, 1996)
Triangle (Smith, 2009)
Law and Disorder (Crichton, 1958)
Long Hot Summer (Ritt, 1958)
Maria Larsson's Everlasting Moments (Troell, 2008)
Passionate Friends (Lean, 1949)
Komodo vs Cobra (Wynorski, 2005)
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (Tatopoulos, 2009)
Tidal Wave (Yun, 2009)
Jennifer's Body (Kusama, 2009)

And those Nov shorts in no order

Red Hot Riding Hood (Avery, 1943)
The Bear That Couldn't Sleep (Ising, 1939)
Partly Cloudy (Sohn, 2009) 
Carrotblanca (McCarthy, 1995) 
Papiroflexia (Baldwin, 2007) 
Fatal Glass of Beer (Bruckman, 1933) 
Das Rad (Stenner, etc, 2003) 
Counterfeit Cat (Avery, 1949) 
Doggy Poo (Kwon, 2003) 
A Ninja Pays Half my Rent (Tsuchida, 2003)
Love on the Wing (McLaren, 1938) 
Gee Whiz-z-z-z-z-z-z (Jones, 1956) 
Mouse in Manhattan (Hanna/Barbera, 1945)
Haredevil Hare (Jones, 1948)
Hook, Line and Stinker (Jones, 1958)
Alive in Joburg(2005, Blomkamp)
Artheme Swallows His Clarinet (Eclipse Films, 1912)
His Father's Daughter (Dickinson, 1941)
Hilarious Posters (Melies, 1907)
Lifted (Rydstrom, 2006)
The Cat Came Back (Barker, 1988) 
Free Radicals(1958, Lye)  
His New Job– (Chaplin, 1915)
Northwest Hounded Police (Avery, 1946)
Terry Tate, Office Linebacker (Thuber, 2002)
Putting Pants on Philip (Bruckman, 1927)
Deduce You Say? (Jones, 1956)
Hair-Raising Hare (Jones, 1946)
Billy's Balloon (Hertzfeld, 1998)
Begone Dull Care (McLaren/Lambart, 1949)
Oktapodi (Various, 2007)
Kitty Foiled (Hanna-Barbera, 1948)
Max et la Docteresse (Linder, 1909)
Easy Street (Chaplin, 1917)
Knighty Knight Bugs (Freleng, 1958)
Going, Going, Gosh (Jones, 1952)
Jerry and the Lion (Hanna/Barbera, 1950)
Man in the Frame (Khitruk, 1996)
The Meaning of Life (Hertzfeld, 2005)
Jumping (Tezuka, 1984)
Dots (McLaren, 1940)
For Scent-imental Reasons (Jones, 1949)
Even Pigeons go to Heaven (Tourneux, 2007)
Father and Daughter (Dudok de Wit, 2000) 
Listen to Britain (Jennings/McAllister, 1942)
Mike's New Car (Doctor/Gould, 2002) 
Things I Like, Things I Don't Like (Jeunet, 1989)
Boobs in the Woods (McKimson, 1950)
Reach (Randall, 2009)
Story of One Crime (Khitruk, 1962)
The Immigrant (Chaplin, 1917)
The Madagascar Penguins in Xmas Caper (Trousdale, 2005) 
Geri's Game (Pinkava, 1997)
More (Osborne, 1998)
Mouse Trouble (Hanna/Barbera, 1944)
Partie de Campagne (Renoir, 1936)
Fast and the Furry-Ous (Jones, 1949)
Au Bout de Monde (Bronzit, 1999)
Creature Comforts 
Baseball Bugs
La Maison en petit cubes (Kato, 2008)
Peter and the Wolf (Templeton, 2006)
Kiwi! (Permedi, 2006)
Quiet Please! (Hanna/Barbera, 1945)
Hedgehog in the Fog (Norsteyn, 1975)
For the Birds (Eggleston, 2000)
12. A Grand Day Out
Vinnie Pukh (Khitruk, 1969) 
A Matter of Loaf and Death (Park, 2008)
Presto (Sweetland, 2008)
Rabbit Fire (Jones, 1951)
Rabbit Seasoning (Jones, 1952)
Duck! Rabbit, Duck! (Jones, 1953)
Burn-E (McLane, 2008)
The Wrong Trousers (Park, 1993)
A Close Shave (Park, 1995)
Geri's Game (Pinkava, 1997)
Blitz Wolf (Avery, 1942)
Hare-Way to the Stars (Jones, 1958)
Election Night (Jensen, 1998)
Feed the Kitty (Jones, 1952)
More (Osborne, 1998)   
Rabbit (Wrake, 2005)
Dug's Special Mission (Del Carmen, 2009)

< Message edited by elab49 -- 2/12/2009 3:02:09 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 7942
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 2:54:10 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

Fanny and Alexander (Bergman, 1982)
Audition (Miike, 1992)

I hope that this isn't in order. Not that the latter can't be better than the former, but knowing you, any film placed below one made by Bergman can't be loved.

It's made in 1999, though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7943
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 2:57:42 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

085) Max Manus: Man of War  (Joachim Rønning & Espen Sandberg, Norway / Denmark, 2008) - 6.0
This may climb above Public Enemies when I slot it into the list, I'm not certain yet. It was quite good, but no more than quite. The guy playing Max reminded me of a young Steve Buscemi.

Interesting to see an opinion on this film from someone not Norwegian. When it was released here, it got so much acclaim it was starting to veer on the ridiculous. I kept on wondering, "What if a foreigner saw this? Would he really be that impressed?"

I liked the film more than you did, though. Still, I understand where you're coming from.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 7944
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 3:02:41 PM   
elab49

Thanks for the correction - I think I was seeing too many 2.s

And I have said before that they are not in order - I don't do that until they've dropped out the HoF.

quote:

Post #: 7945
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 3:12:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Thanks for the correction - I think I was seeing too many 2.s

And I have said before that they are not in order - I don't do that until they've dropped out the HoF.

Out of curiosity, why do you wait until then?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7946
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 3:19:32 PM   
elab49

Because I've always assumed the reason we PM Gimli and Clowny, as opposed to just posting our votes on the page, is because there is an element of secrecy and surprise as to who got through? Otherwise, why use PMs

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7947
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 3:25:43 PM   
Dantes Inferno

PMs give us the option of voting in secrecy. We are still free to show what we vote for.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7948
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 3:26:45 PM   
rawlinson

I didn't think that through, did I?  I prefer the secrecy. Last time round I posted my rankings before the announcement was made and was very annoyed with myself for doing so. Although I think that was more because a lot of us did it on the same thread and it did take the surprise out of round 2 a little.

Edit - I bet I could predict your 6 though.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 2/12/2009 3:28:16 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7949
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/12/2009 3:59:42 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't be at all surprised!

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7950
Page:   <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI