Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/2/2009 1:32:08 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

JoJo in the Stars - beautiful to look at, the ringmaster's vocal is fantastic, but not particularly original

It was very much inspired by a Nick Cave song, so it's always going to have that 'influenced' feel. A great short though, you've seen some incredible short films this year.

Vinni Pukh was to show my husband after the Rosen doc - given he is a Shepherd dogmatist, he was surprised that he really loved them - I think because it did seem so different.

I have my first film for Feb to hand - my library has just delivered the DVD and Cd of your avatar

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 571
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 2/2/2009 2:44:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

JoJo in the Stars - beautiful to look at, the ringmaster's vocal is fantastic, but not particularly original

It was very much inspired by a Nick Cave song, so it's always going to have that 'influenced' feel. A great short though, you've seen some incredible short films this year.

Vinni Pukh was to show my husband after the Rosen doc - given he is a Shepherd dogmatist, he was surprised that he really loved them - I think because it did seem so different.

I have my first film for Feb to hand - my library has just delivered the DVD and Cd of your avatar

Oh, I hope you enjoy them. It's good that you have them both together as the film may be a little bewildering without having heard the cd. It's very much not for everyone but I absolutely adore them. If you do like them there's a second cd available and you can find downloads of the original stories, as written and recorded for John Peel Sessions, online.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 572
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 6:51:43 AM   
Dantes Inferno

2. BARTON FINK (1991, Coen) – 10/10
The second Coen-film to land a spot in my top 3, and my new favorite (I seem to be having a renaissance!). The careful thought that has gone into this movie is magnificent, from the cinematography to the acting to the small details that the Coens have become such experts of (never have it been so interesting to watch a wall). I’m still not sure of what the hell is going on, but that’s part of the fun, and Barton Fink is a lot of fun.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 573
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 9:08:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

6. Frost/Nixon (1st view, 2008, Ron Howard) - 4/5*
I like Ron Howard films! There, I said it. This is no exception, an utterly compelling, albeit not entirely accurate, account of the build-up to and filming of the interview with David Frost and Richard Nixon. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen have deservedly gained a lot of praise, but the entire cast is excellent.

15. 21 Grams (2nd view, 2003, Alejandro González Iñárritu) - 4/5
I’d forgotten just how fragmented the first half of this film was, with the constant changing between storylines and time frames. It’s a testament to all involved that it never feels convoluted or contrived. Bleak and powerful.

34. Resting Place (1st view, 1986, John Korty) - 4/5*
TV film which sees racism and a military cover-up stall the burial of a black soldier from being buried in his hometown. Morgan Freeman and CCH Pounder play the grieving parents, but John Lithgow as an investigative soldier who takes the acting honours.

40. The Brothers Grimm (2nd view, 2005, Terry Gilliam) - 4/5
Certainly the weakest Terry Gilliam film I’ve seen, it pretty obvious that it came out of a troubled production, and it actually seems to suffer from a lack of exposition. Still, there’s much to savour, not least the visuals and a nice pairing between heath Ledger and Matt Damon. Peter Stormare’s Italian soldier Cavadli is a treat!

February list here!

1. All Or Nothing (1st view, 2002, Mike Leigh) - 5/5*
2. The Shape Of Things (2003, Neil LaBute) - 5/5
3. Contact (5th view, 1997, Robert Zemeckis) - 4/5
4. Che, part 1: The Argentine (1st view, 2008, Steven Soderbergh) - 4/5*
5. Road To Perdition (5th view, 2002, Sam Mendes) - 4/5
6. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008, David Fincher) - 4/5*
7. This Sporting Life (1963, Lindsay Anderson) - 4/5
8. The Day The Earth Stood Still (2nd view, 1951, Robert Wise) - 4/5
9. Frost/Nixon (1st view, 2008, Ron Howard) - 4/5*
10. Kung Fu Panda (2008, Mark Osborne, John Stevenson) - 4/5*

11. Live Flesh/Carne trémula (1st view, 1997, Pedro Almodóvar) - 4/5*
12. The Family Stone (2005, Thomas Bezucha) - 4/5*
13. Me and You and Everyone We Know (2nd view 2005, Miranda July) - 4/5
14. A Passage To India (2nd view, 1984, David Lean) - 4/5
15. 21 Grams (2nd view, 2003, Alejandro González Iñárritu) - 4/5
17. True North (1st view, 2006, Steve Hudson) - 4/5*
18. The Beat That My Heart Skipped/De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté(2005, Jacques Audiard) - 4/5*
18. Push (1st view, 2009, Paul McGuigan) - 4/5*
19. The Happening (2008, M. Night Shyamalan) - 4/5
20. The Devil Wears Prada (1st view, 2006, David Frankel) - 4/5*

21. Jarhead (2nd view, 2005, Sam Mendes) - 4/5
22. Hustle & Flow (2005, Craig Brewer) - 4/5*
23. Resting Place (1st view, 1986, John Korty) - 4/5*
24. V For Vendetta (2nd view, 2005, James McTeigue) - 4/5
25. The Widow of Saint-Pierre/La Veuve de Saint-Pierre (1st view,2000, Patrice Leconte) - 4/5*
26. Prick Up Your Ears (1987, Stephen Frears) - 4/5*
27. Noel (2004, Chazz Palminteri) - 4/5*
28. The Brothers Grimm (2nd view, 2005, Terry Gilliam) - 4/5
29. Sawdust and Tinsel/Gycklarnas afton (1st view, 1953, Ingmar Bergman) - 4/5*
30. Emile (1st view, 2003, Carl Bessai) - 3/5*

31. The Libertine (1st view, 2004, Laurence Dunmore) - 3/5*
32. EuroTrip (1st view, 2004, Jeff Schaffer) - 3/5*
33. My House In Umbria (1st view, 2003, Richard Loncraine.) - 3/5*
34. Finian's Rainbow (1st view, 1968, Francis Ford Coppola) - 3/5*
35. Kontroll (1st view, 2003, Nimród Antal) - 3/5*
36. The Joy Luck Club (1993, Wayne Wang) - 3/5*
37. The Stepford Wives (2nd view, 2004, Franz Oz) - 3/5
38. My Super Ex-Girlfriend (1st view, 2006, Ivan Reitman) - 3/5*
39. Mystery Men (1999, Kinka Usher) - 3/5
40. Street Kings (1st view, 2008, David Ayer) - 3/5*

41. Made Of Honor (1st view, 2008, Paul Weiland) - 3/5*
42. Black Widow (1st view, 1987, Bob Rafelson) - 3/5*
43. Trust The Man (1st view, 2005, Bart Freundlich) - 3/5*
44. Yours Mine And Ours (1st view, 2005, Raja Gosnell) - 3/5*
45. Around The Bend (1st view, 2004, Jordan Roberts) - 2/5*
46. The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things (2004, Asia Argento) - 2/5*

Decade Breakdown

50s - 2
60s - 2
80s - 4
90s - 4
00s - 34

and a performances list update

1. John C. Reilly as Officer Jim Kurring in Magnolia
2. Kate Winslet as Hanna Schmitz in The Reader
3. Alan Rickman as Alex Hughes in Snow Cake
4. Christine Buchegger as Katarina Egerman in From The Life Of The Marionettes
5. Philip Seymour Hoffman as Phil Parma in Magnolia
6. Frank Langella as Richard Nixon in Frost/Nixon
7. Hayley Mills as Gillie in Tiger Bay
8. Davis Kross as Michael Berg in The Reader
9. Michael Sheen as David Frost in Frost/Nixon
10. Melora Walters as Claudia Wilson Gator in Magnolia

11. Mickey Rourke as Randy 'The Ram' Robinson in The Wrestler
12. Sean Connery as Daniel Dravot in The Man Who Would Be King
13. Sigourney Weaver as Linda Freeman in Snow Cake
14. Dev Patel as Jamal Malik in Slumdog Millionaire
15. Ralph Fiennes as Michael Berg in The Reader
16. Brandon Walters as Nullah in Australia
17. Michael Caine as Peachy Carnehan in The Man Who Would Be King
18. Hugh Jackman as Drover in Australia
19. Freida Pinto as Latika in Slumdog Millionaire
20. Naomi Watts as Ann in Funny Games U.S.

21. Christopher Plummer as Commodus in The Fall Of The Roman Empire
22. Juliette Binoche as Madame La in The Widow Of Saint-Pierre
23. Emily Hampshire as Vivienne Freeman in Snow Cake
24. Matthew Perry as Hudson in Numb
25. Alec Guinness as Marcus Aurelius in The Fall Of The Roman Empire
26. William H. Macy as "Quiz Kid" Donnie Smith in Magnolia
27. Benicio del Toro as Jack Jordan in 21 Grams
28. Juliette Binoche as Anne Laurent in Caché
29. Julianne Moore as Linda Partridge in Magnolia
30. Rachel Griffiths as Hilary du Pré in Hilary and Jackie

31. Tom Cruise as Frank T.J. Mackay in Magnolia
32. John Mills as Superintendent Graham in Tiger Bay
33. Anton Walbrook as Stefan 'Steve' Radetzky in Dangerous Moonlight
34. Emily Watson as Jacqueline du Pré in Hilary and Jackie
35. Matthew Macfadyen as John Birt in Frost/Nixon
36. Nicole Kidman as Gail Jones in My Life
37. Nicolas Cage as Michael Williams in Red Rock West
38. Harrsion Ford as President James Marshall in Air Force One
39. Peter Mullan as Joe Kavanagh in My Name Is Joe
40. Hilary Swank as Holly in P.S. I Love You

41. Saeed Jaffrey as Billy Fish In The Man Who Would Be King
42. Kurt Russell as Steve Stronghold/The Commander in Sky High
43. Michael Keaton as Robert Jones in My Life

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 28/2/2009 5:34:41 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 574
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 9:43:55 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

Gimli, still no love for the Brando ?

You only log on to see what I've been saying about him, don't you?

Nope, still don't like him. His turn in Streetcar is one of his better ones, but everyone else on screen outdoes him.

I've become more of a reader, than a poster the last year or so. But I hope to one day see a Brando-loving Gimli .

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 575
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 11:59:48 AM   
Pigeon Army

40. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008, Del Toro) - 4/5
The version I watched didn't have the greatest quality sound or picture, but regardless I could still appreciate just how amazing Del Toro's work was this time around compared to the rather muted first Hellboy film. It looks astonishingly good, Del Toro drawing on Pan's Labyrinth (a bit too much, in some scenes - the tooth fairies come to mind), Dark Crystal (Princess 'Gelfling' Nuada), the original comics and his own original ideas to paint a visceral and jawdropping piece of visual art. However, the performances are a bit inconsistent (the girl playing Nuada not only looked like a gelfling, she had the permanently-stunned facial expression of one as well, and Doug Jones really shouldn't have replaced David Hyde Pierce as Abe's voice), though Perlman, Tambor, McFarlane and Goss are all excellent, and the story is a tad weak. Nevertheless, I've seen fewer films more balls-out awesome than this so far this year.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 576
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 12:05:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

his own original ideas to paint a visceral and jawdropping piece of visual art.

And yet - this astonishing piece of art not good enough for Oscar nomination. Muppets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 577
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 12:16:11 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

his own original ideas to paint a visceral and jawdropping piece of visual art.

And yet - this astonishing piece of art not good enough for Oscar nomination. Muppets

I know. It's disgusting. They've only got three nominees in that section anyway - what's a fourth? Besides, the visual effects are more stunning than any of the three nominees - Iron Man, The Dark Knight and Benjamin Button all have nothing on the bad-ass SFX of this film.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 578
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 12:42:22 PM   
ElephantBoy

My latest films are

Revolutionary Road (2009) 8.5/10 
Mendes most uncomplish film since American Beauty, a very head hitting, skillfully handled and subtle fable/melodrama of American life.  Winslet is on top form and builds her performance very gentrly over the curse of the film, whereas while Leo is solild he is a bit wooden when it comes to emotion.  Michael Shannon is excellent too in a brief appearence.

Man on the Moon (1999) 8/10
Still Carry's best ever perfromance(yes even better than the Truman show) the part of Andy Karfman the mixed up, but extremely entertaining and powerful Comedy was something he was meant to play.  And as a Wrestling nut i love the film from that angle too!

Where the Truth Lies (2005) 8/10
Although the Alison Lohman Part is a bit of a sypher and you do have trouble in believeing in her at times, this is a elitraify, slowing unreaveling thriller with some killer twists and woinderful chelmstry between Firth and Bacon. The nods to older such films, yet putting it in a modern world also works fantastically well.

Sid and Nancy (1986) 7/10
Fairly straght forward tale of the downful of Sid and his American Girl friend with one or two surreal moments and good performances, just a little safe artiscally.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 579
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 3:37:06 PM   
impqueen

Latest Editions:

08. Badlands (Malick, 1973) USA An exceptional debut from that most prolific of director's Mr Malick. The film is obviously very beautiful and the use of music is fantastic. The performances from an impossibly handsome Martin Sheen and the ever excellent Sissy Spacek are equally thrilling and engaging. It gives Days of Heaven a run for its money in my affection with each subsequent viewing.   

13. The Innocents (Clayton, 1961) UK I love this film, I love the music, the creepy and unsettling atmosphere the almost hysterical performance from Deborah Kerr and the quite frightening and precocious turn from young Martin Stephens (he of Village of the Damned) as the ever so charming Miles.   

24. Back to the Future Part III (Zemeckis, 1990) USA
25. Back to the Future (Zemeckis, 1985) USA
I do like Back to the Future, it is a clever and fun film with several great performances but in my mind it is edged out by its second sequel. After the somewhat messy (though by no means awful) Part II, Part III of the time bending trilogy is a rollercoaster ride, it's got romance, action, comedy, cowboys and a whole lot of heart, good stuff.

42. The Boy Who Could Fly (Castle, 1986) USA Despite the mawkish ending this film about an autistic boy (Eric-Jay Underwood) and his friendship with new neighbour Milly (a very pretty Lucy Deakins) is an early childhood favourite and though I know it's a tad naive and well cheesy, I still enjoyed it.   

43. Back to the Future Part II (Zemeckis, 1989) USA A film no doubt adversely affected by its back to back shooting with Part III. However it gave us hoverboards, Jaws 19, Fox in drag and a great ending that sets up the sequel very well.  

47. Bad Education (Almodóvar, 2004) SPN An attractive film, with another interesting performance from Gael Garcia Bernal however I find the film fractured (quite possibly the point...) and (for me) emotionally uninvolving.

Yes, always.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 580
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 4:38:22 PM   
jamesbondguy

Histoire(s) Du Cinema: Part One: All Stories
Review here:
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2203502
Brilliance!

Antoine et Colette
A thirty-minute short film, and the second of the Doinel cycle, coming between the two best, The 400 Blows (still the best film about being a young teen) and Stolen Kisses. It's certainly not as engaging as those two, and the latter seemingly builds upon the virtues of this short, leaving this looking more like a test-run than a real work. But that's to this is a disservice, for while it feels colder than the other two (that may be a result of the extraordinary restraint and melancholy feel of the film), it's tenderness is so evident, and it has the same eye for the tics and tacks of humans that is so evident in so many of Truffaut's films. Leaud looks as he never would again on screen, a kind of cross between his appearance in The 400 Blows and his later look in Stolen Kisses and his early films with Godard, a teenager caught between his mischevious young looks, and more mature features. There are several moments where the director and actor click so well- the first dinner with Colette and her parents being the main point, where Leaud's laughter is so contagious and the feeling of fun is so evident that it's hard not to enter the mindset of the characters and smile along with them- but then getting the audience emotionally involved was always Truffaut's biggest skill. The whole film has a lightly romantic, wistful feel to which fits perfectly with the theme of first love, and the slightly quaint way in which Antoine sees it. And then there's the usual subtle Truffaut humour- when Antoine recieves Colette's reply to his love letter, it praises him for his obvious experience and skill with writing, as if he has just given in a piece of homework. A small work, then, and one that pales to the films before and after, but one that still strikes a chord, and is quite moving.
Atlantic City
One of Malle's american films (and perhaps his most acclaimed english-language work), but who could guess that this was the same man who made Au Revoir, Les Enfants, let alone Lift to The Scaffold and Zazie Dans Le Metro. The energy and verve of those last two works, and the humanity of the first, have here been replaced by a kind of feeble complacency. The film is about faded memories, and perhaps the faded life of Malle's direction suits well? It would if he allowed any kind of passion into the film once Lancaster became more passionate, as the film certainly calls for it, but it never comes. The story is very average, as is the execution. Burt Lancaster is good, though, very convincing, especially towards the end, as Lou, although him, and the rest of the cast, are let down by the youngsters playing the hippie couple, who are written as and acted as unbelievable stereotypes- certainly not a good thing in a film about reality and lies, and the reliability of both. And perhaps the best thing about the film is the way it captures Atlantic City, all faded glories, muted colours and tacky last-resorts. Like Lou, in fact.

Dans Paris (2005, Honore)
Histoire(s) Du Cinema Part 1: All Stoires (1988,Godard)
The Roaring Twenties (1939, Walsh)
Radio On (1979, Petit)

Detour (1945, Ulmer)
The Filth and The Fury (2003, Temple)

Joy Division (Gee, 2007)

Antoine et Colette (1962, Truffaut)
Somers Town (2007, Meadows)
Love Meetings (Pasolini, 1965) 
This is England (2006, Meadows)
The Girl Who Lept Through Time (2006)
Election (1999, Payne)

(2007)
Barton Fink (1991, Coen)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008, Boyle)
Carrie (1976, De Palma)
King of Kong (2007)
Burn After Reading (2007, Coen)

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 581
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 6:22:14 PM   
Epiphany Demon

30. Funny Games (Haneke, 2007) - 4/10

A overlong, sadistic and ultimately pointless remake of his own film, Michael Haneke manages to make a thriller almost devoid of all tension. It almost seems like it's been made just for the sake of being controversial, and has nothing particularly special to say about society, if it is a little different than most thriller film conventions. Michael Pitt gives a good performance as one of the killers, Paul, but the rest of the cast range from competent to average. I wasn't a fan, and got bored almost halfway through.

< Message edited by Epiphany Demon -- 3/2/2009 7:50:57 PM >

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 582
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 6:43:46 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

My latest films are

Revolutionary Road (2009) 8.5/10 
Mendes most uncomplish film since American Beauty, a very head hitting, skillfully handled and subtle fable/melodrama of American life.  Winslet is on top form and builds her performance very gentrly over the curse of the film, whereas while Leo is solild he is a bit wooden when it comes to emotion.  Michael Shannon is excellent too in a brief appearence.

Man on the Moon (1999) 8/10
Still Carry's best ever perfromance(yes even better than the Truman show) the part of Andy Karfman the mixed up, but extremely entertaining and powerful Comedy was something he was meant to play.  And as a Wrestling nut i love the film from that angle too!

Where the Truth Lies (2005) 8/10
Although the Alison Lohman Part is a bit of a sypher and you do have trouble in believeing in her at times, this is a elitraify, slowing unreaveling thriller with some killer twists and woinderful chelmstry between Firth and Bacon. The nods to older such films, yet putting it in a modern world also works fantastically well.

Sid and Nancy (1986) 7/10
Fairly straght forward tale of the downful of Sid and his American Girl friend with one or two surreal moments and good performances, just a little safe artiscally.

haha no he isnt

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 583
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 7:14:57 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

30. Funny Games (Haneke, 2008) - 4/10

A overlong, sadistic and ultimately pointless remake of his own film, Michael Haneke manages to make a thriller almost devoid of all tension. It almost seems like it's been made just for the sake of being controversial, and has nothing particularly special to say about society, if it is a little different than most thriller film conventions. Michael Pitt gives a good performance as one of the killers, Paul, but the rest of the cast range from competent to average. I wasn't a fan, and got bored almost halfway through.

I gave the same rating. A film that thinks it's being clever when it is so obviously not.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 584
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 8:14:55 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

Greatest of all British bands they lie 5th in my list JBG

Who would you list above them? Because the only acceptable alternative is The Kinks.

Wow, wow, hold on! How about Pink Floyd? Black Sabbath? Led Zeppelin? Deep Purple? Yes? The Beatles? Rolling Stones? Derek & the Dominos? Iron Maiden? Rainbow?

I'm very sorry Dante, but it is true. Pink Floyd lose out for the sheer horror that is Another Brick In The Wall part 2, which makes me cringe so much I look like I'm having a fit. I appreciate what it's trying to say, but the song is just.... ugh. A thousand punk bands have said the same thing better. Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, I could take or leave. The Beatles are a good choice, but several other bands hit me harder (the same goes for The Rolling Stones). Deep Purple are meh. The others, I've heard little of. Not sure I really want to. Give me Public Image Limited, Joy Division, Sex Pistols,The Kinks, The Clash,Buzzcocks, Penetration, The Pogues, Ian Dury and the Blockheads and whatever two-tone ska you can throw it at me anyday.

1) The Beatles
2) Led Zeppelin
3) Rolling Stones
4) Kinks
5) The Clash
6) Radiohead
7) Joy Division
8) Pink Floyd
9) The Sex Pistols
10) Oasis

Edit: How could i forget the Smiths?? That's like forgetting Godard in one of your lists, so bye Oasis and The Smiths go in at 5!

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 585
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 3/2/2009 8:28:36 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

bye Oasis

Thank you...

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 586
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 2:04:48 AM   
Rinc

Six films viewed so far in Feb:

1. Saving Private Ryan (Spielberg, 1998) - 8
Superlative war film. The action is just amazing with the best war set pieces i've ever seen. Performances are great and it looks fantastic. Maybe this deserves a 9...... hmmmm.....

2. Unbreakable (Shyamalan, 2000) - 8
IMO better than The Sixth Sense. Willis is even better here and the film is shot wonderfully. The scene where the kids help David out of the pool is fantastic.

9. Witness For The Prosecution (Wilder, 1957) - 7 - first viewing
This started off slow and only really got into it once in the courtroom. But once there it was gripping and Laughton steals the show. The twist is very good as well.

12. Harvey (Koster, 1950) - 7 - first viewing
I'm already not sure about giving this a 7 and after a couple of days contemplation it may go down to 6. It's good and not too obvious it was originally a play, all the performances are entertaining and the premise is great, i just felt it was a bit all over the place. It shifted from one scene to another without any fluidity.

29. Hard Candy (Slade, 2005) - 5 - first viewing
Difficult to watch at times (you'll know what i mean if you've seen it!). Page and Wilson are excellent and the moral ambiguities it throws up are interesting, but it's not really a film i want to watch again too soon. Not sure why but it just didn't pull me in enough.

30. I Confess (Hitchcock, 1953) - 5 - first viewing
Not Hitchcock's final hour and the continual look of shock on Clift's face was annoying. The dilemma for Clift to not betray his priesthood is interesting but the ending right up until the last few lines seemed a bit out of place.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 587
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 12:20:17 PM   
Pigeon Army

15. Bad Day at Black Rock (1955, Sturges) - 4.5/5
Short, but infinitely engrossing, Bad Day at Black Rock is a film that takes the simplest of concepts - a man arrives in a backwater town to find another man, only to meet hostility from the town's residents - and makes it an enthralling tale that leaves you hooked to your seat and guessing up until the final minutes. It's entertainment at its purest, with fantastic performances - Spencer Tracey as the crippled war vet stepping into a suspicious town is magnificent - great writing, and oodles of tension. Add on to that the surprisingly confrontational central theme of the idiocy and danger of discrimination, especially in the name of patriotism, and you have a brilliant film indeed.

18. Death At A Funeral (2007, Oz) - 4.5/5
I was blown away by how laugh-out-loud funny this film was. Frank Oz wisely lets the script and the actors do all the work, Dean Craig's laugh-a-minute script being absolutely amazing with the way it deftly handles the various characters, running gags and subplots without ever losing sight of the main narrative, everything culminating in a heartwarming finale. Likewise, the actors are stunning - Matthew MacFadyen and Rupert Graves are excellent as the two couldn't-be-more-different brothers, and Ewen Bremner, Andy Nyman, Kris Marshall, Daisy Donovan, Jane Asher and Peter Vaughan all provide excellent support. The accolades, however, go to Alan Tudyk, who is given the showiest role in the film and takes it by the horns, and Peter Dinklage, a seriously underrated actor who proves once again, with his slightly unnerving turn, that he deserves more attention than he gets.

Performance List Additions (expanding my list to 50, I've decided) -

Spencer Tracey as John J. Macreedy (Bad Day at Black Rock, 1955)
28. Alan Tudyk as Simon (Death at a Funeral, 2007)
31. Peter Dinklage as Peter (Death at a Funeral, 2007)

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 588
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 12:32:43 PM   
Gram123

Beetlejuice! / impqueen (whoever did it first) - I saw your little introductory pics idea and decided to muscle in on the action...

I'm sticking to 100px square images, and I'm only going to do it for the top 5 performances - I think they'll change less frequently than the top 5 films...

So these are my top 5 performances viewed in 2009 so far:

<Edit: I'm going to do 10. Here's the list as it stands now...>

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 10/2/2009 11:38:37 AM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 589
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 1:10:03 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Beetlejuice! / impqueen (whoever did it first) - I saw your little introductory pics idea and decided to muscle in on the action...

I'm sticking to 100px square images, and I'm only going to do it for the top 5 performances - I think they'll change less frequently than the top 5 films...

I shamelessly stole it from Beetlejuice...

Yes, always.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 590
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 1:12:51 PM   
Lex Romero

First Viewing

5/5

01. The Wrestler

4.5/5

02. Slumdog Millionaire
03. Joint Security Area
04. Spring Summer Autumn Winter...And Spring

05. Kung Fu Panda

4/5

06. The Graduate
07. The Dark Knight
08. Chinatown

3.5/5

09. Kiwi!
10. Ghost in the Shell
11. The Postman Always Rings Twice

3/5

2.5/5

2/5

1.5/5

1/5

12. High School Musical 2

0.5/5

13. Skinned Deep

And so my winner for "worst film I've watched in 2009" arrives already.  Possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen. Some friends and I watched it in the hopes of it being hilariously bad, which is why it currently sits at 0.5 rather than zero as there was a little bit of humour to be got from this horrendous film.

It's a slasher film, the main villian is the "surgeon general" a man with a bear trap for a mouth and terminator style vision.  Warick Davis co-stars as "Plates".  An insane dwarf who throws plates as a weapon at people.  There's also a guy with a giant brain for a head who falls in love with the main girl.  When his head cracks open alphabet blocks fall out and spell "love".  We thought this might be a dream sequence but apparantly not.  Very lynch.

The main plot involves some family getting killed (the boy is slashed at by the surgeon, the boy says "you missed me!"...before falling apart into two pieces) and there is a sub plot involving some geriatric 80 year old bikers who get their heads blown off.  There's some other attempt at a plot with some person in control of the monsters and wanting to destroy the world but it's your typical "cheap DTV film attempting a complex that falls apart".

There budget seems to have been spent on the make up effects as some of them are pretty good quality for the monsters, but everything else is as cheap as you can imagine.  There's no tension whatsoever, terrible editing and filming and script.  The family are the weirdest dumbest family in any film ever.  Just terrible.

Films Viewed Per Decade - first / repeat viewings

2000s - 7  /  2
1990s - /
1980s -
0  /
1970s - 1  /
1960s - 1  /

1950s - 0  /
1940s - 1 /
1930s - 0  /
1920s - 0  /
1910s - 0  /
1900s - 0  /

English language films  - 8 / 2
Foreign language films - 3
/ 0

< Message edited by Lex Romero -- 4/2/2009 1:13:58 PM >

My Film list for 2009:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=39

(in reply to Lex Romero)
Post #: 591
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 3:01:01 PM   
elab49

12 Films from January that won't be placed until after they fall out of the Hall of Fame.

All the Presidents Men (Pakula, 1976)
The Court Jester (Frank, Panama, 1955)
Days of Heaven (Malick, 1978)
Dr Strangelove (Kubrick, 1964)
Hamlet (Branagh, 1996)
Infernal Affairs (Lau/Fai Mak, 2002)
Moolaade (Sembene, 2004)
Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001)
Once Upon A Time in America (Leone, 1984)
Singin' In the Rain (Kelly/Donen, 1952)
To Be or Not To Be (Lubitsch, 1942)
Until the End of the World (Wenders, 1991)

Until then, my list for January 2009

1. Il Divo (Sorrentino, 2008)
2. In the Electric Mist (Tavernier, 2008).
3. Hold Back the Dawn (Leisen, 1941)
4. Slumdog Millionnaire (Boyle, 2008)
5. Lift to the Scaffold (Malle, 1958)
6. The Escapist (Wyatt, 2008)
7. The Hill (Lumet, 1965)
8. Gomorra (Garrone, 2008)
9. C.R.A.Z.Y (Valleé, 2005)
10 The Visitor (McCarthy, 2007)
11 Blast of Silence (Baron, 1961)
12 Revanche (Spielmann, 2008)
13 Frozen River (Hunt, 2008)
14 Revolutionary Road (Mendes, 2008)
15 Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008)
16 The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, (Hosoda, 2006)
17 Frost/Nixon (Howard, 2008)
18 5000 Fingers of Dr T (Rowland, 1953)
19. I Walked With a Zombie (Tourneur, 1943)
20. Jagged Edge (Marquand, 198)
21 Timecrimes (Vigalondo, 2007)
22. Defiance (Zwick, 2008).
23. Hotel Reserve (Several, 1944)
24 Vargtimmen/Hour of the Wolf (Bergman, 1968)
25 Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008)
26. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (Allen, 2008)

Performance of the month – Toni Servillo in Il Divo. Anyone who has also seen Gomorra will see the amazing change and – screw you SFX Button – basically done by actual acting.

Il Divo – The story of Italian politican Guilio Andreotti. Wonderful visual style, sharply written with a wonderful lead performance. Some of the one-liners are better than most comedies claim to. Should easily have been Italy's submission for the Oscar.

Hold Back the Dawn – The unfairly all but forgotten Mitchell Leisen directing an expectedly sharp, amusing and often rather bitter script from Wilder/Bracket. Boyer has never been better.

Escapist – where exactly was Cox's deserved Bafta nom for this? Are they so in thrall to what the US has decided are the films of the year to think for themselves? It was a surprise first time round given how many poor British prison films there had been of late, and it held up to repeat viewings. Steven macIntosh is clearly what Tarantino was aiming for in From Dusk to Dawn – see what happens when a real actor plays the part?

The Hill – harsh tale of a brutal military prison camp in North Africa with some excellent performances with Ian Bannen particularly of note.

Gomorra – Good take on Saviano's often muddled but nevertheless fascinating and rather scary book. Some key characters have been included – Pasquale, Don Ciro, Franco all make an appearance. The method of killing the mother is used. Inexplicably Jolie turns into Johannsen. But if you have read the book it feels really limited. It dealt with all sides and looked at the external politics and policing as well. You don't get a character like Don Peppino in it facing up to the Camorra, just a snapshot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing – but it does feel like they've read the book, watched The Wire and tried to force one on to the other. Some of the dodgy ad lib dialogue particularly grates – the 2 young thugs and the scene at the hospital. And the links between levels of the System aren't remotely clear, particularly where Franco fits in (with Roberto, presumably, being based on the author himself).

But read the book – the links to businesses owned by them in the UK (Aberdeen really must have changed) is pretty frightening.

The Visitor The Wire's corrupt reporter is a pretty good director. I prefer Station Agent but this is a lovely character piece on a lonely plan played with a deserved Oscar nod by Richard Jenkins.

Blast of Silence – compact sleazy minimalist noir with a great voiceover from Lionel Stander. It is a pity Baron spent most of the rest of his career as a director for hire in US TV.

Revanche – decent Austrian thriller with a somewhat predictable turn of events once the cop and the robber first come into contact. Generally good performances – particularly from Alex and his grandfather. It feels rather odd in that it is clearly not as good as Gomorra but, then, given Gomorra's similarity to The Wire and US's inability to reward that show, perhaps Gomorra's lack of preference isn't surprising.

Frozen River – Leo's central performance is the real talking point in a pretty low-key film about people trafficking as she gets in deep trying to pay for a trailer. Misty Upham was unfairly overlooked in support by tickboxers for the bigger films.

Revolutionary Road – I admire rather than like the book and am pretty glad I never knew Yates clearly screwed up family. Mendes makes the film a little too stagey – the car scene at the start, e.g. And mucks about with the camera too much – Winslet is doing some great acting at the end but the camera moves behind her and stays there – poor decision. Shannon is excellent but surely this almost blink and you miss it role isn't enough for an Oscar? And including it is a bad choice – it almost felt like a constructed role just to shout at the characters what the reader is thinking. A poor type of exposition. DiCaprio – is it me or is beginning to act like a clone of Jack Nicholson? Winslet is excellent. It is a decent attempt at an adaptation though and the characters feel more real and 3D than most other films around last year. Oh – and oddly – although the office felt right – home never felt like a 50s period. Unlike the superior Far From Heaven.

Let the Right One In – superior to the book as it successfully cuts out the multiple side-stories that weigh it down and removes most of the paedophilia, dumps the flashbacks – the compact story presented here is much much better. It is pretty good in general and, particularly, the two child leads. It also removes the ambiguity about their relationship – where you could reasonably argue Eli is grooming Oskar in the book, the relationship between the two is clearer on film.

I am, though, a little surprised at the over-praise for it – perhaps the subject matter combined with a sort-of serious film is manna from heaven for genre fans. The idea that is it awardworthy seems a little oddWhere it falls down on the book is the casting of the pretty boy lead, which contributes to the bullying not working anywhere near as successfully. The scene that looked quite silly was the other child actors (who weren't so good) whipping Oskar's legs – as you could clearly see he was barely being held and wasn't being hit it just looked odd.

Frost/Nixon –  As an adaptation it pretty much isn't – Howard adds nothing to a play pretty much replicated scene for scene, line for line, on screen, just happening to be at a location rather than in the theatre. Many of the laughs from the stage production have gone as well – Howard drains the story of life – perhaps an American director couldn't deal with a story about Nixon any other way? He also trys hard to remove much of the build-up – on stage the asides with Reston, etc, take place with the main protagonists still facing each other down – you never lose that confrontation. But Howard – cutting away from the most dramatic period of the film to side rooms and side comments continually dissipates it. Only the towering performance from Langella as the questions come to an end, ably supported by Sheen, rescue it. The one advantage the film has there is the close-up – the power of the TV that Reston didn't initially understand.

Beyond that, again, the only changes serve to apparently weaken Frost in the run-up to make it a more conventional David and Goliath bout. A couple of his comebacks are cut from the play, I assume, to make his final pulling it together more impressive. I didn't see the point, frankly. Changing the opening question to an almost frivolous off-the-cuff when the play has it agreed in advance – no real impact to it. Spreading out the framing interviews from mainly Reston to all of the others including the insipid MacFadyen? Again, no real point except to try and pretend there is a difference in the film.

All in all, they might as well have put the camera in the theatre, IMO. Howard adds nothing, and takes too much away – he turns it into a rather banal boxing match rather than a piece of history. And much as I like the play it is inferior to another Nixon piece called Nixon's Nixon by Russell Lees which I highly recommend to anyone if it gets run again (the Comedy in London had it last time). It is based on the night referred to in the film – that Nixon and Kissinger spent together in the White House. Poignant, side-achingly funny and brilliantly written – everything this film could have been and isn't.

5000 Fingers of Dr T – slightly mad and psychadelic Dr Seuss adaptation.

Timecrimes – oddly the second Spanish SF film I've seen this year that could easily have done better as an hourlong Outer Limits episode. Predictable to start off with it does get better with each return through the handily located time machine.

Hour of the Wolf – Ullman and Von Sydow (up to the end) – excellent performances and interesting for the first 1/3rd but once you get to the party at the house game over for me. Ridiculously structured ideas of madness and reality, became near unwatchable. Oddly didn't ring a bell although I am positive I have seen this before. The 'undressing' at the table was quite chilling though.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button – What a pointless film. I am not surprised about the allusions to Gump – I thought so before checking out Roth – his writing with its obvious faux-profundity is a failure in pretty much all of this films.

The short story isn't a great one. The changes to it aren't particularly interesting here and some downright odd – no-one seems to know about the boy and his oddity, it is barely addressed in the film except with the stubbornly young looking Blanchett's repeated and tiresome complaints about being old. They just don't seem particularly interested in the central character.

But they try so desparately to make this seem important. The clichéd framing of a dying person and the story getting out – and what a cruel bitch she turned out to be, eh? Pointlessly bringing in Katrina. The pathetic affectation of calling her Daisy. Mr Cake's Burtonesque little opener.

As with many overpraised films it generally looks beautiful. But too often this seems to be accepted as a replacement for a good film – visual artistry is fine, but film is not simply a 1D visual medium. Something more is needed – whether it be plot, structure, an impartment of a time and place and emotion. Not just – look at the man rowing into the horizon – what a beautiful image – Athena could package it and we could all get posters. In fact, the image of the pier fading into the water – they already have.

And it is Gump all over again – instead of real events Roth uses 'characters' with Jared Harris giving one of the worst performanaces of his career (and I'm including Resident Evil here) and Swinton wasted so we can have a trademark throwaway Hallmark card motto on the TV later in the film.

Blanchett isn't far off Jenny mark 2 – little girl, then wanton, then together, then child. In character terms they are remarkably similar in their relationship. She has very little to do here and does it adequately. Pitt is not impressive. Taraji P Henson is unnoteworthy.

Effects clearly good but in a film this bad who cares? As for Fincher? Frankly it could have been a Zemeckis sequel for all the imprint he has on it. The only interesting part was the night attack at sea.

So – a bad film that has successfully made itself look faux-important and the Academy who voted for Gump might be about to make the same mistake again. Numptys.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/2/2009 3:17:40 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Lex Romero)
Post #: 592
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 3:02:15 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

It still bugs me that we watched The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser in school and for some reason didn't finish it.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 593
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 7:47:20 PM   
richCie

the long-time coming and much anticipated january list!
snow distracted me for a few days but here it is!

1. Peppermint Candy
2. Cloverfield
3. Hunger
4. Trainspotting
5. Chopper
6. The Wrestler
7. City of God
8. Full Metal Jacket
9. There Will Be Blood
10. Irreversible
11. A Tale of Two Sisters
12. Milk
13. In The Electric Mist
14. The Quiet Family
15. The Blair Witch Project
16. Insomnia
17. Blood Diamond
18. Bright Future

so there it is!
hope it was worth the wait:P

so far i'm having a bad month....only watched Ong-Bak so far, for my thoughts see above somewhere....

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 594
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 8:06:28 PM   
DCMaximo

New entries:

3. The Last Picture Show
(1971, Bogdanovich) 9/10
Poignant look at life in a small Texas town in the early 50's. A beautifully written film with realistic, fully-developed characters, it's also beautifully shot, benefitting immensely from Bogdanovich's decision to film in black-and-white. The cast is top notch as well, Chloris Leachman and Ben Johnson being well-worth their Oscar wins, while a young Jeff Bridges already has a naturalistic charm. Anchoring the film in Timothy Bottoms who brings genuine depth and sadness to his confused teen.

7. Once Upon A Time In The West (1968, Leone) 9/10
Highly stylish, classy western. Starting with a deliberately paced, engrossing opening scene, which is followed by another great scene to introduce the villain of the piece, Leone crafts one of the all-time great westerns over the following two and a half hours. The casting certainly helps- Henry Fonda, cleverly cast against type, is a cold,calculating bad guy, Jason Robards is endearingly unkempt as a charming rogue criminal, Cardinale is convincingly tough as a widow trying to seek vengeance for her husband and Charles Bronson, the film's standout, has very little to say, but speaks volume about his character with gestures and facial expressions.

11. Trading Places (1983, Landis) 8/10
Great comedy from the days when Eddie Murphy was still funny. Here's he's well-paired with Dan Ackroyd as opposite sides of a lifestyle swap. Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche excel as the scheming billionaires who cause the change in circumstances and director Landis carefully balances comedy with tragedy (Ackroyd's suicide attempt for example) so that neither feel out of place.

31. Uncle Buck (1989, Hughes) 7/10
When laid low with a cold, I turned to the perfect cure- revisiting Uncle Buck. While it could certainly be accused of being overly sentimental and a touch John Hughes-by-number is places, John Candy's lovable overbearing Buck still managed to improve my mood, if not my health.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

Post #: 595
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 9:21:22 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

the long-time coming and much anticipated january list!
snow distracted me for a few days but here it is!

1. Peppermint Candy
2. Cloverfield
3. Hunger
4. Trainspotting
5. Chopper
6. The Wrestler
7. City of God
8. Full Metal Jacket
9. There Will Be Blood
10. Irreversible
11. A Tale of Two Sisters
12. Milk
13. In The Electric Mist
14. The Quiet Family
15. The Blair Witch Project
16. Insomnia
17. Blood Diamond
18. Bright Future

so there it is!
hope it was worth the wait:P

so far i'm having a bad month....only watched Ong-Bak so far, for my thoughts see above somewhere....

Maybe this is the wrong place to post it, but moderators never go here, so.... anyways, I posted a review of Man Bites Dog in my top 20-thread. Knowing you had taken a liking to it, I was hoping you would read it and check out the film.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 596
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 4/2/2009 10:16:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

1. Peppermint Candy

Jasiri will be pleased  And it is good news that your long wait for the boxset was worth it.

I seem to have been doing a short Song Kang-Ho season so I may as well go through those 3 as well.

quote:

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 597
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 5/2/2009 12:03:48 AM   
Lex Romero

richCie - you liked cloverfield?  I mean, I really liked it (though I haven't seen it since I saw it in the cinema, and am worried a home viewing would ruin it) but seeing your other film opinions on the forum it just seems like a film you wouldn't care for. 

My Film list for 2009:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=39

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 598
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 5/2/2009 6:21:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Elab, I'm sure this wasn't the effect you were aiming for, but I'm looking forward to Benjamin Button even more now, what with its Gump-like status

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 5/2/2009 8:45:47 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 599
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 5/2/2009 8:11:23 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

quote:

1. Peppermint Candy

Jasiri will be pleased  And it is good news that your long wait for the boxset was worth it.

I seem to have been doing a short Song Kang-Ho season so I may as well go through those 3 as well.

Yup! Somehow as the Korean wave hit,Lee Chang-dong's films seem to have passed by largely unnoticed,which given the popularity of S. Korean drama is surprising.Think a large part of it could be because he took a break after Oasis (2002) and didn't make another film until Secret Sunshine (2007),so wasn't making films during the couple of years when S. Korean film was really expanding to a wider audience in the West.Of Lee's films Song Kang-Ho is only in Green Fish where he has quite a small role and he's in Secret Sunshine,where he gives a typically strong performance but that film's all about Jeon Do-yeon,she's just incredible.
Which Song Kang-Ho films have you been watching ? Don't see any in your list above.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI