Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 3:53:28 AM   
King_Bard

Be quiet Malta boy.

PA, Donovan has just died.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5761
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 3:55:27 AM   
Deviation

Damn that loser PA, is this true?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 5762
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 3:56:15 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 5763
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 7:19:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I am in the right thread for this post, right?

238. Sunset (1st view, 1988, Blake Edwards) - 2/5*
Bruce Willis stars a Tom Nix, the silent film star, famous for appearing in westerns. One film project sees him play Wyatt Earp, and the actually Earp (James Garner) is hired as an advisor. The two soon get involved in the murder of a prostitute, which leads to a conspiracy between local police and the studio. It's a nice idea overall, and James Garner is always good value for money. Still, the crime subplot is predictable, Bruce Willis looks uneasy, almost the entire cast, except Garner, manages to be worse then he is, and the film would have worked better as a straight comedy. The film earned Blake Edwards a Razzie for directing, and it's easy to see why.

September list here!

1. District 9 (1st view, 2009, Neill Blomkamp) - 4/5*
2. The Last Legion (1st view, 2007, Doug Lefler) - 4/5*
3. JVCD (1st view, 2008, Mabrouk El Mechri) - 4/5*
5. The Incident (1st view, 1990, Joseph Sargent) - 3/5*
6. Frozen (1st view, 2005, Juliet McKoen) - 3/5*
7. The Baker (1st view, 2007, Gareth Lewis) - 3/5*
8. Surrogates (1st view, 2009, Jonathan Mostow ) - 3/5*
9. Bronson (1st view, 2009, Nicolas Winding Refn) - 3/5*
10. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (4th view, 1976, Blake Edwards) - 3/5

11. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1st view, 2008, Scott Derrickson) - 3/5
12. The Hurt Locker (2008, Kathryn Bigelow) - 3/5*
13. Hunger (1st view, 2008, Steve McQueen) - 3/5*
14. Step Brothers (1st view, 2008, Adam McKay) - 3/5*
15. Mirrors (1st view, 2008, Alexandre Aja) - 3/5*
16. Doomsday (1st view, 2008, Neil Marshall) - 3/5*
17. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa(1st view, 2008, Eric Darnell/Tom McGrath) 3/5*
18. Stop Loss (1st view, 2008, Kimberly Peirce) - 3/5*
19. Drillbit Taylor (1st view, 2008, Steven Brill) - 3/5*
20. The Lookout (1st view, 2007, Scott Frank) - 3/5*

21. A Shot In The Dark (3rd view, 1964, Blake Edwards) - 2/5
22. The Pink Panther (3rd view, 1963, Blake Edwards) - 2/5
23. Sunset (1st view, 1988, Blake Edwards) - 2/5*
24. Observe and Report (1st view, 2009, Jody Hill) - 2/5*
25. Revenge of the Pink Panther (3rd view, 1978, Blake Edwards) - 2/5*
26. Gamer (1st view, 2009, Mark Neveldine/Brian Taylor) - 2/5*

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 2/10/2009 4:54:10 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 5764
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 7:21:44 AM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I'm not sure.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 5765
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 7:46:39 AM   
impqueen

quote:

It's dated a bit. Don Johnson is no Paul Newman and they ramped up the sex side quite a bit - but I like Judith Ivey and Jason Robards and, even though it tends more to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof than Faulkner and a couple of dodgy moments aside, I still found it pretty watchable.

It's amazing what you can stumble across scrolling through channels though - Romantica isn't exactly one I have on my favourites, but it is a series I really enjoyed being able to watch again and compare to the impressions I had of it. I found the 2nd version of Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 on True Movies as well

Is that the version with Adama and Vincent D'Onofrio? I think I prefer that version to both the remake and the original...I'm obviously swayed by my love for BSG and D'Onofrio but there we go, that and I found the remake pants and though I really like Matthau I couldn't shake the feeling that Robert Shaw was a Dalek in the 1974 film.  

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/9/2009 7:58:00 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5766
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 9:39:18 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Is that the version with Adama and Vincent D'Onofrio? I think I prefer that version to both the remake and the original...I'm obviously swayed by my love for BSG and D'Onofrio but there we go, that and I found the remake pants and though I really like Matthau I couldn't shake the feeling that Robert Shaw was a Dalek in the 1974 film.  

A dalek? DALEK!?! The man swam with sharks - daleks couldn't even get up the gangplank

I wondered if you'd like the D'Onofrio version. Me, I think it suffers from going to much towards a darker thriller and loses the humour and ambience of the original that makes it stand out. And D'onofrio - often interesting actor though he is - just isn't Robert Shaw, for me.

I was looking at D'Onofrio's IMDB and I think it's sad how few decent things he's been in - too many 'interesting' roles with inexperienced filmmakers where the cracks really show. Last good film might well have been Happy Accidents, IMO. Maybe both those fall out from where he's been wasting his time for 8 years.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5767
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 11:57:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

He's not been wasting his time

I want to see that version of Pelham even more now.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5768
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 1:00:09 PM   
MOTH

August Entries in my list

7. Stardust Memories - 9/10
19. In the Loop - 8/10
30. River's Edge - 7/10
32. Let the Right One In - 7/10
65. Force of Evil - 6/10
68. Che Part II - 5/10
72. Watchmen - 5/10

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 5769
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 1:04:57 PM   
elab49

quote:

He's not been wasting his time

I want to see that version of Pelham even more now.

Sorry Gimli. I checked my Sky + and it is True Movies that have been showing it - and they tend to repeat movies a lot. I'll close off my August list when I add that and another couple (including a In the Loop rewatch - so yay! for the high placing on Moth's list)  - then the normal trouble trying to put them in order

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 5770
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 1:54:44 PM   
TRM

August:
7. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958, USA) -
14. Howl's moving castle
(Hayao Miyazaki, 2004, Japan) -

15. Spirited away
(Hayao Miyazaki, 2001, Japan) -

31. The thing
(John Carpenter, 1982, USA) -
32. Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1997) -
42. Raging bull
(Martin Scorsese, 1980, USA) -
45. The sting
(George Roy Hill, 1973, USA) -
46. Moon
(Duncan Jones, 2009, UK) -

49. The time traveler's wife
(Robert Schwentke, 2009, USA) -
53. Drunken master 2
(Chia-Liang Liu, 1994, Hong Kong) -
68. Repast (Mikio Naruse, Japan, 1951) -
Spring, summer, autumn, winter and spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003, South Korea/Germany) -
Volver (Pedro Almodovar, 2006, Spain) -
97. Chasing Amy
(Kevin Smith, 1997, USA) -

98. Somebody up there likes me
(Robert Wise, 1956, USA) -

101. Paris Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984, West Germany/France, UK) -
Bob the gambler (Jean Pierre Melville, 1956, France) -
JCVD (Mabrouk El Mechri, Belgium/Luxembourg/France, 2008) -
Inglourious basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009, USA/Germany/France) -
127. The thing from another world (Christian Nyby, 1951, USA) -
Manhattan (Woody Allen, 1979, USA) -
Mesrine: Killer instinct (Jean Francois Richet, 2008, France/Canada/Italy) -
Rome open city (Roberto Rossellini, Italy, 1945) -
Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1992) -
Stranger on the third floor (Boris Ingster, 1940, USA) -
Matchstick men (Ridley Scott, USA, 2003) -
Ocean waves (aka - I can hear the see, Tomomi Mochizuki. 1993, Japan) -
Green fish (Lee Chang Dong, 1997, South Korea) -
Ong bak (Prachya Pinkaew, 2003, Thailand) -
Priceless (Pierre Salvadori, France, 2006) -
193. The hurt locker (Kathryn Bigalow, 2009, USA) -
Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965, UK) -
202.The grifters (Stephen Frears, USA, 1990) -
208. Lars and the real girl (Craig Gillespie, 2007, USA) -
209.Antichrist (Lars Von Trier, Denmark/Germany/France/Sweden/Italy/Poland, 2009) -
245. My Winnipeg (Guy Maddin, 2007, Canada) -
266. Jay and Silent Bob strike back (Kevin Smith, 2001, USA) -
Hulk (Ang Lee, USA, 2003) -
Shorts (Robert Rodriguez, 2009, USA/United Arab Emirates) -
The final destination (David R. Ellis, 2009, USA) -  

< Message edited by TRM -- 1/9/2009 1:56:03 PM >

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 5771
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 2:24:33 PM   
Pigeon Army

46. The Philadelphia Story (1940, Cukor) - 4.5/5
I don't think I've laughed quite so hard at a film in a while. Based on what is probably a sublime play by Phillip Barry, given the film it produced, David Ogden Stewart's screenplay may not be as fast nor as frantically energetic as the same year's His Girl Friday (which I watched a couple of days ago), but it damn sure has a much better hit-rate with the jokes in my opinion. From Stewart's pitch-perfect drunken rambling ("CK Dexter Haven I want to talk to yoooou") to the kid sister's show for the reporters, from the fantastically lecherous Uncle Willie to the librarian to Ruth Hussey in general - almost everything about this film drips with hilarity, and it has the kind of hit-rate most modern comedies dream of one day seeing on the distant horizon as their guts are pecked out by ravens. The performances are all fantastic, particularly Stewart as the snobbish writer Macauley Connor and Hussey and Young as Connor's partner-in-crime Liz and Uncle Willie respectively. The design is lavish and impeccable, and the direction, while not flashy, suits the film well. But, most important, is the script - the hilarious, brilliant script. Funny in all the right places, The Philadelphia Story nails the romantic side of the equation perfectly, and the whole thing comes together in what is probably one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen.

211. Une femme est une femme (A Woman is a Woman) (1961, Godard) - 3.5/5
I've gotta stress before I even start this review - I go into every Godard wanting to like it. Really, I do. This is no vendetta - I really, really want to like everyone of his films. I give him so many second chances, because I constantly think, "this'll be the one, this'll be the one that I love". Such thoughts motivated my selection of Une femme est une femme to watch today at the uni library, and such thoughts left me slightly disappointed with the film, as seems to be the usual. Une femme opens abysmally - music that cuts in and out for seemingly no purpose other than to piss me off, a 'musical number' that only serves to show how weak a singing voice Karina has, a choppy and haphazard introduction of the characters - but, thankfully, it does get better. Michel Legrand's score is an impeccable channelling of 1930s and 1940s Hollywood musicals, and even when its use in the film seems a bit misjudged, it still manages to make any scene at least 27% better (scientifically-proven fakt, that). As usual, Godard's playful and assured use of the camera and colour is excellent, particularly when one looks at Angela's and Emile's apartment, a fantastically-designed structure. Brialy and Belmondo give great performances, and while Karina is inconsistent in her role, when she does shine, she's absolutely radiant. The majority of the New Wave meta-humour comes across as hopelessly smug (though the 'dark glasses' is a hilarious reference to Varda's short film Les fiances du pont Mac Donald), but the actual humour humour is often quite funny (the shower is fantastic). However, as an ode to and interrogation of Hollywood musicals, it falls a little flat, and as a film dealing with Godard's constant themes of how difficult people find it to relate to each other and relationships on paths of mutually-assured destruction, it feels more obvious and slightly less effective than in, say, Pierrot le fou, Bande a part or Breathless. At the end of the day, Une femme seems to prove that of all the people Godard finds it hard to relate to, it's himself he finds it hardest to.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5772
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 3:47:42 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

Une femme est une femme (A Woman is a Woman) (1961, Godard) -

I love Une Femme est Une Femme, but oddly enough I find what I love about it changes with each viewing, in particulars. Well with a few exceptions- the collection of small details are pure magic (Karina's wink to the camera at the start), the cinematography, Belmondo-Brialy's double-act and the bit where Belmondo headbutts a wall. Mainly I just like it because it looks great and by george, it's joyous (perhaps the only joyous film he ever made, really). It is a minor picture, of course, but I prefer it to the other minor films of the period- Bande A Part, for example. I  particularly like the fragmentary nature of the filming and editing, it chimes exactly with what I like in film a lot of the time- little snatched bits of 'reality', each one revealing something and offering something.

quote:

a 'musical number' that only serves to show how weak a singing voice Karina has

What a closing-shot that sequence has, though. Brilliant close-up.

quote:

music that cuts in and out for seemingly no purpose other than to piss me off,

At first I felt the same, but with re-watches not only have I become more sympathetic to the formal experiments with the music, but also the fact that the film has sound design which is close to a more aggresive Tati, in some ways- watch the scenes where people are outside multiple times (particularly the scenes in daytime) and the inter-play and repeating of sound-effects, voices and snatches of music become much clearer. Indeed, what you called the 'misjudgement of placing' when it comes to music could be seen as explicit commentary on the form's lack of ability to accurately add to or create emotional moods or turns. Godard called it 'a Bazinian musical', but the sound design counters such in some ways- it's highly manipulated and adds to the humour of the film.

quote:

However, as an ode to and interrogation of Hollywood musicals, it falls a little flat,

Also, I don't think it's fair to treat this element so flippantly. I'm not sure how in-depth of your experience of Hollywood Musical-Comedies, Lubitsch etc is, but I think it works very well in it's complete taking apart of the format, or if you prefer, the blurring of the genre. The use of music is just one part of this, but the film, along with it's formal experiments, feels very much like a Hollywood musical comedy transported into the real world, or rather a constant clashing of the two forms- almost neo-realism and frothy Donen-Fosse-Lubitsch film-making.

Also, no mention of the sublime Aznavour-record/ Karina-close-up sequence?

Anyway, a review of Playtime (which I just saw at the cinema) soon.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 5773
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 3:53:35 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Still

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 5774
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 4:24:42 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

Une femme est une femme (A Woman is a Woman) (1961, Godard) -

I love Une Femme est Une Femme, but oddly enough I find what I love about it changes with each viewing, in particulars. Well with a few exceptions- the collection of small details are pure magic (Karina's wink to the camera at the start), the cinematography, Belmondo-Brialy's double-act and the bit where Belmondo headbutts a wall. Mainly I just like it because it looks great and by george, it's joyous (perhaps the only joyous film he ever made, really). It is a minor picture, of course, but I prefer it to the other minor films of the period- Bande A Part, for example. I  particularly like the fragmentary nature of the filming and editing, it chimes exactly with what I like in film a lot of the time- little snatched bits of 'reality', each one revealing something and offering something.

quote:

a 'musical number' that only serves to show how weak a singing voice Karina has

What a closing-shot that sequence has, though. Brilliant close-up.

quote:

music that cuts in and out for seemingly no purpose other than to piss me off,

At first I felt the same, but with re-watches not only have I become more sympathetic to the formal experiments with the music, but also the fact that the film has sound design which is close to a more aggresive Tati, in some ways- watch the scenes where people are outside multiple times (particularly the scenes in daytime) and the inter-play and repeating of sound-effects, voices and snatches of music become much clearer. Indeed, what you called the 'misjudgement of placing' when it comes to music could be seen as explicit commentary on the form's lack of ability to accurately add to or create emotional moods or turns. Godard called it 'a Bazinian musical', but the sound design counters such in some ways- it's highly manipulated and adds to the humour of the film.

quote:

However, as an ode to and interrogation of Hollywood musicals, it falls a little flat,

Also, I don't think it's fair to treat this element so flippantly. I'm not sure how in-depth of your experience of Hollywood Musical-Comedies, Lubitsch etc is, but I think it works very well in it's complete taking apart of the format, or if you prefer, the blurring of the genre. The use of music is just one part of this, but the film, along with it's formal experiments, feels very much like a Hollywood musical comedy transported into the real world, or rather a constant clashing of the two forms- almost neo-realism and frothy Donen-Fosse-Lubitsch film-making.

Also, no mention of the sublime Aznavour-record/ Karina-close-up sequence?

Most civil Godard discussion ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 5775
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 4:54:14 PM   
elab49

Rewatch - In the Loop (Ianucci, 2009)

As good 3rd time round with some fantastic deleted scenes on the DVD, particularly the face-off between Gina McKee's character - also the only one to stand their ground against Malcolm (while not being insance) - and Jamie. And the long hard disciplinary committee. Genius.

Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 (Alcala, 1998)

Poor TV remake of the 70s original - in particular the writing is atrocious. Each of the hijackers has to have a 'thing' - their own dreary little predictable story. 2 characters become woman but all they do with it is an offensive little lets make the psycho woman with gun go all gooey over babies crap. The direction makes the scenes feel bitty and muddled with no real balance to the story either in the hijacked car or the control room and all the humour has gone from the story.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5776
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 5:01:21 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I think I can top it.

Godard's rather good isn't he, Devi?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5777
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 5:07:34 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

I think I can top it.

Woah, no need to be so aggressive. Blimey.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 5778
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 5:13:42 PM   
rick_7

quote:

238. Sunset (1st view, 1988, Blake Edwards) - 2/5*
Bruce Willis stars a Tom Nix, the silent film star, famous for appearing in westerns. One film project sees him play Wyatt Earp, and the actually Earp (James Garner) is hired as an advisor. The two soon get involved in the murder of a prostitute, which leads to a conspiracy between local police and the studio. It's a nice idea overall, and James Garner is always good value for money. Still, the crime subplot is predictable, Bruce Willis looks uneasy, almost the entire cast, except Garner, manages to be worse then he is, and the film would have worked better as a straight comedy. The film earned Blake Edwards a Razzie for directing, and it's easy to see why.

I think that might be the only movie I actually hate. Review:

quote:

Bruce Willis is cast as Tom Mix, the star of '20s westerns, who teams up with legendary marshal Wyatt Earp (James Garner) to solve a murder. From that terrific premise comes a film that's not only utterly witless – Willis smirks and gurns his way through the film, saying "Amigo" at the end of every sentence – but also unbelievably offensive. Never have I seen a film that's so blasé about rape, throwing it in as a plot catalyst no fewer than four times. Sunset also features that rarity: an awful performance from Malcolm McDowell. He plays an evil silent clown (imagine a cross between Chaplin and Satan), with bleached spiky hair and a really unconvincing stunt double. The film's two virtues, Garner's affable turn and Henry Mancini's excellent score, barely register.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 5779
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 5:15:08 PM   
elab49

Films Reviewed in August

1. An Actor's Revenge (Ichikawa, 1963)
2. Shop on Main Street (Kadar/Klos, 1965)
3. Journey into Fear (Foster/Welles, 1943)
4. Ponyo on the Cliff (Miyazaki, 2008)
5. My Neighbour Totoro (Miyazaki, 1988)
6. Pygmalian (Asquith, 1938)
7. Strong Room (Sewell, 1962)
8. Victim (Dearden, 1961).
9. Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 (Sargent, 1974)
10. Dr X (Curtiz, 1932)
11. Allegro Non Troppo (Bozzetto, 1977)
12. Porco Rosso (Miyazaki, 1992)
13. Millions Like Us (Gilliat&Launder, 1943)
14. Road House (Negulesco, 1948)
15. Kansas City Confidential (Karlson, 1952)
16. The Birdpeople in China (Miike, 1998)
17. On Dangerous Ground (Ray, 1952)
18. The Window (Tetzlaff, 1949)
19. Friend (Kwak, 2001)
20. Narrow Margin (Fleischer, 1952)
21. Storm in a Teacup (Dalrymple/Saville, 1937)
22. Born to Kill (Wise, 1947)
23. My Fair Lady (Cukor, 1964)

24. Red Dust (Hooper, 2004)
25. That Obscure Object of Desire (Bunuel, 1977)
26. Empire of the Wolves (Nahon, 2005)
27. Danger: Diabolik (Bava, 1968)
28. The Phantom of Liberty (Bunuel, 1974)
29. Accidental Tourist (Kasdan, 1988)
30. Darby’s Rangers (Wellman, 1958)
31. Daytime Drinking (Noh, 2008)
32. Brideshead Revisited (Jarrold, 2008)
33. Knowing (Proyas, 2009)
34. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Spielberg, 2008)
35. Bug (Hay/Manfredi, 2002)
36. Urban Legend (Blanks, 1998)
37. Ten Inch Hero (MacKay, 2007)
38. One Missed Call (Vallette, 2008)
39. One That Got Away (Baker, 1957)
40. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Bunuel, 1972)
41. Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 (Alcala, 1998)
42. Skinwalkers (Isaac, 2006)
43. Passengers (Garcia, 2008)
44. Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian (Adamson, 2008)
45. Tuesday (Bennett, 2008)
46. Dead Space: Downfall (Patton, 2008)

Shorts - in no order.

Love on the Wing (McLaren, 1938)
A Diary for Timothy (Jennings, 1945)
Bottles (Harman, 1936)
A Colour Box (Lye ,1935)
Rainbow Dance (Lye ,1936)
Trade Tattoo (Lye ,1937)
The H.P.O (Reiniger ,1938)
The Tocher (Reiniger ,1938)
Doggone Tired (Avery, 1949)
Begone Dull Care (McLaren/Lambart, 1949)
Sufferin’ Cats (Hanna-Barbera, 1943)
Fine Feathered Friends (Hanna-Barbera, 1942)
Bowling Alley-Cat (Hanna-Barbera, 1942)

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 5780
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 5:17:23 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

quote:

I think I can top it.

Fuck you, Melville-boy. Or I'll aggresse your face off.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5781
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 5:29:24 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

quote:

I think I can top it.

Fuck you, Melville-boy. Or I'll aggresse your face off.

Bring it, Godard guy (ugh, apologies for that awful pun). You wanna aggress? Let's aggress!

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 5782
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 6:04:34 PM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Still

I was kind of expecting a worse response. I didnt think it was terrible or anything, actually it was a well made film. Technically speaking I can have no complaints. The thing was that I did find there were large protions where although I liked the fact Maddin did something very different here, I couldnt help but find my concentration kept going so I couldnt put it any higher than that.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5783
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 6:18:03 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

It's been sitting around for 2 years now and I'm just getting around to watching it this week (hopefully). Tati has really given me a good chuckle the last few weeks, hence the sig.

Oh, and I really liked Une Femme, despite feeling the same way as PA at first about that opening where the music goes on and off and drowns out the dialogue (almost), but I got over that, it's a delightful film but I still prefer Bande a part, for some reason that film put me in such a good mood.

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 5784
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 7:55:36 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

A dalek? DALEK!?! The man swam with sharks - daleks couldn't even get up the gangplank

I wondered if you'd like the D'Onofrio version. Me, I think it suffers from going to much towards a darker thriller and loses the humour and ambience of the original that makes it stand out. And D'onofrio - often interesting actor though he is - just isn't Robert Shaw, for me.

I was looking at D'Onofrio's IMDB and I think it's sad how few decent things he's been in - too many 'interesting' roles with inexperienced filmmakers where the cracks really show. Last good film might well have been Happy Accidents, IMO. Maybe both those fall out from where he's been wasting his time for 8 years.

I like Shaw a lot and I have much time for Jaws and other such ventures (The Sting, Robin and Marian) however in Pelham every time he opens his mouth I want to shout EXTERMINTE! I agree that the television remake isn’t great but I find it an enjoyable enough way to pass the time, though I do think Matthau is superb in the 1974 film and I love the ending.

I have an awful habit of liking actors who fail to get the good parts or are not given the opportunities I believe they deserve; Ralph Fiennes was buggering about for a while (okay he was doing theatre but I live in South Wales...) fortunately he has now stepped up in the last few years. Unfortunately as much as I like Law and Order Criminal Intent it’s not the same as a really decent film. Though the exception is as you pointed out Happy Accidents a fantastic film but that was almost ten years ago, D’Onofrio was (I thought) superb in Thumbsucker too, though he didn’t get a lot of screen time not being the film’s primary focus. It’s a shame because he has been great in a fair few things during his career (Full Metal Jacket, The Player, Household Saints, The Whole Wide World, Men in Black, Guy, Claire Dolan and The Salton Sea...) and yet now he’s fifty.    

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5785
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 7:58:04 PM   
elab49

Grief - it doesn't seem any time at all ago that he was a big dumb idiot in Mystic Pizza

I've just realised that I've officially gone past the 300 film mark too - 309 reviewed (and about 20 others not yet). Wonder if I can hit 500 by the turn of the year.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5786
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 8:01:26 PM   
TRM

I was thinking I had a chance of watching the most on here until I saw Piles was over 450 already but your 309 is ahead of me as well. Only 291 features for me this year so far.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5787
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 8:07:05 PM   
impqueen

quote:

Grief - it doesn't seem any time at all ago that he was a big dumb idiot in Mystic Pizza

I've just realised that I've officially gone past the 300 film mark too - 309 reviewed (and about 20 others not yet). Wonder if I can hit 500 by the turn of the year.

21 YEARS!  

I’m seriously down on my viewings, 288 as opposed to around 350 this time last year.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5788
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 8:08:30 PM   
elab49

And I now feel very verrrry old

Course it means when I watch films like Ten Inch Hero above, I've got the experience to know its ripping off Mystic Pizza.Not sure how good a thing that is.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/9/2009 8:09:40 PM >

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5789
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 1/9/2009 8:33:13 PM   
Dantes Inferno

-is somehow proud of his 130-

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5790
Page:   <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  191 192 [193] 194 195   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI