Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:25:07 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

quote:

72. Lost Highway (1997, Lynch) – 6/10
Not Mulholland Drive.

And thank fuck for that.

Let me ask you a question that is a bit more serious in its nature than the ongoing conversation: if you took away the ending of Mulholland Drive, what would you think of the film (ignoring the obvious continuity lapses)?

Both MD and LH is very similar in tone, but I just found the latter to be a bit lacking. The explaination does make me he film a bit better, but I found MD fully capable of standing on its own feet even if you didn't know what the hell just happened, and LH not so much so.

Define 'ending'. Give me a point where the 'ending' of Mulholland Dr begins, and I'll answer your question.

Oh, sorry. I suspected that might a problem.

* * spoilers for Mulholland Drive * *

What I meant was the final waking up sequence, which I know you dislike. I guess it's too long to be called the ending, so points for you there. So I guess what I am asking is this: what did you think of the film before Naomi Watts wakes up?

I do agree that certain aspects with Lost Highway is both intriguing and thrilling (Lynch really knows how to create tension), but it spent a bit too long with the car mechanic guy and too little on Bill Pullman.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 3991
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:27:43 PM   
rawlinson

Post #: 3992
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:29:30 PM   
elab49

Something Wild (Garfein, 1961)

Baker and her husband, Garfein, were clearly committed to the material as they produced this.  A student is raped on her way home from college. Unable to deal with it she withdraws completely from her old life and enters a day to day existence with a mundane job and avoiding all contact. After being 'rescued' from suicide she is held prisoner by a disturbed mechanic and forced to confront her reaction to her rape.

Baker and Meeker are superb in the film. It is a tremendously well done character piece pretty advanced for its day, IMO. Not the best actress this is clearly the best thing Baker has every done - the nuances of her performance are very convincing of a rape victim wholly unable to deal with what happened to her. The idea of finally confronting it and how is equally interesting. The ending? Is difficult. Although you don't seek a happy ending the idea you have to believe that either she didn't really succeed and is still punishing herself, thinking she can do no better. Or perhaps it is a damaged persons only way of assuming control. And while I do think Meeker is excellent his part is to much of a catalyst, really without enough context to feed into the final scenes.

But if you can see it, I'd recommend you give it a go.

Surveillance (Lynch, 2008)

After her last awful outing it is something of a surprise to see Lynch behind the camera again. And some of the themes of obsession actually come with her. As a film? It is interesting at times - you do want to see how it progresses. But it is pretty obvious what is going on upfront and Pullman, who I normally have a lot of time for, doesn't quite seem to know what he wants to do with his buttoned up FBI man and even the duality of his roles doesn't explain how overboard his performance gets. Ormond - the lesser of the two - actually isn't bad.

But overall the film is obvious, not particularly well-written, the antics of the road cops go beyond laughably absurd. Although French Stewart is interesting casting.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3993
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:31:07 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

72. Lost Highway (1997, Lynch) – 6/10
Not Mulholland Drive.

And thank fuck for that.

Let me ask you a question that is a bit more serious in its nature than the ongoing conversation: if you took away the ending of Mulholland Drive, what would you think of the film (ignoring the obvious continuity lapses)?

Both MD and LH is very similar in tone, but I just found the latter to be a bit lacking. The explaination does make me he film a bit better, but I found MD fully capable of standing on its own feet even if you didn't know what the hell just happened, and LH not so much so.

Define 'ending'. Give me a point where the 'ending' of Mulholland Dr begins, and I'll answer your question.

Oh, sorry. I suspected that might a problem.

* * spoilers for Mulholland Drive * *

What I meant was the final waking up sequence, which I know you dislike. I guess it's too long to be called the ending, so points for you there. So I guess what I am asking is this: what did you think of the film before Naomi Watts wakes up?

I do agree that certain aspects with Lost Highway is both intriguing and thrilling (Lynch really knows how to create tension), but it spent a bit too long with the car mechanic guy and too little on Bill Pullman.

It was alright, I guess. Nothing spectacular - it started off great, had a few good moments (any time Justin Theroux or the cack-handed assassin were on screen in that first half, it was great), but once it started to come together in my head, it just got less and less intriguing. Not to mention the film seemed to slide in quality generally for me.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR LOST HIGHWAY

I do agree with that criticism of Lost Highway to an extent, but I still think it serves a greater purpose in showing just how close Pullman's character is to losing himself in his delusions of innocence.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 3994
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:41:32 PM   
elab49

My Bloody Valentine (Lussier, 2009)

Apart from my desire to see every film ever released - no, I don't know why I watched it either. And I can't really think of anything remotely redeeming about a film that spends most of its time throwing things pointlessly at the screen to capitalise on 3D - and I'm assuming the early boob shot was one of the things thrown.

The Black Swan (King, 1942)

Smarter than your average swashbuckler and a tad dialogue heavy - unsurprising with Hecht at the typewriter - it is a decent enough way to spend your timing staring in wonder at the cast. Not Power - average enough as usual - or O'Hara who rarely amounted to anything and their 'wooing' which tips over rather heavily to repeated sexual assualt - ah , Maureen - what power of good did you ever bring to the woman's movement .

But ignoring them - easy enough - you get to watch the number of amazing miscastings. Cregar as a defiantly Welsh pirate king Henry Morgan (we know he's Welsh, he 'look yous' occasionally) who never looks overly piratish although fits Restoration costume perfectly. Thomas Mitchell apparently playing Smee. And a completely unrecognisable George Sanders under layers of red beard stuff playing the bad pirate. And astonishing set-up really. And great fun. Some of the shots are gorgeously colourful and the final ship battle is a brilliantly shot affair. Much better than any of the Error Flynn rubbish.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 3995
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:44:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

My Bloody Valentine (Lussier, 2009)

Apart from my desire to see every film ever released - no, I don't know why I watched it either. And I can't really think of anything remotely redeeming about a film that spends most of its time throwing things pointlessly at the screen to capitalise on 3D - and I'm assuming the early boob shot was one of the things thrown.

Not as good as the original then?

quote:

But ignoring them - easy enough - you get to watch the number of amazing miscastings. Cregar as a defiantly Welsh pirate king Henry Morgan (we know he's Welsh, he 'look yous' occasionally)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3996
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 3:57:00 PM   
elab49

Feed the Kitty (Jones, 1952)

Possibly the most absolutely cutest short Jones ever made as Mark Anthony finds a tiny kitten and brings him home only to worry that the edict not to bring anything else in includes little kitty. Double takes and the sheer horror he suffers as he thinks the kitten is lost makes this more than just one long aaaaahhh and should be watched by absolutely everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcTniTyFcEA

City Streets (Mamoulian, 1931)

Possibly the real star of the 1930s was Sylvia Sidney whose star inexplicably wained with the turn of the decade. Most now seem to know her as the old dame in Beetlejuice and Grandma in Mars Attacks but there is a fair chance she'll be in many of my top 10s for the 30s and sometimes more than once (in 1931 she also stars in Street Scene).

Nan is a streetwise girl, brought up by a racketeer, in love with a sap who shoots at a fairground. Cooper fortunately doesn't have that much to do here (and spends most of it in some odd kind of make-up), but Sidney is the star. Taking the fall after Pops kills the boss she gets out of prison only to find they've seduced The Kid into the gang. And then the big boss takes an interest in her.

Mamoulian makes the most of this story from Hammett (the trick with the cigar clearly comes from him) and the prison scenes are particularly impressive, as is the lead up to the initial killing. The camera spends much of its time rightly focussing on the highly expressive face of Sidney and her reactions to what is going on around her.

An exceptional film of its time it is sad so few people now seem to have seen it.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3997
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 4:50:49 PM   
elab49

A Nous La Liberte (Clair, 1931)

If PA is reading this he might be interested to see another clear influence on the chap who did the animation More. Anyone else might be more interested in the scene that caused them to sue Chaplin when it was reused almost exactly in Modern Times. Chaplin claimed he hadn't seen it - but it was Oscar nominated.

Emile escapes the regimentation and mundane work of prison (with the help of his cellmate who doesn't make it out) and ends up in charge of a vast corporation where 'work is freedom' and mundane work is regimented and overseen by uniformed foremen. When Louis escapes he becomes a fly in the ointment - messing up the production line quite spectacularly, falling in love and seducing Emile back to his old life.

Alsace aside, France was broadly agrarian at a time when most of the other major European nations had become increasingly industrialised and this changed through the 20s in pretty short order and objection to this is one of the themes in Clair's film. The pursuit of money overriding all over aspects of life and work overtaking all. Louis is picked up for daring to laze happily in a field. The late speech promoting the themes of the Revolution is ignored in the actual pursuit of cash. And France was ever aware of the thread from her neighbour - the similarity of the work is freedom slogan and arbeit mach frei seems a tremendous coincidence. But not as much as the uniformed foreman and his little moustache lording it over the workers.

But this is overtly a comedy. In a kind of half way house between silent and talkies much of the dialogue is sung (like The Million, earlier that year). Emile and Louis are a wonderful double act and Louis's calamitous attempt to join the production line is a great sequence to copy. A note also to the expressionist camerawork, particularly the broad shots of the prison inside and out at the start making the structure stark and oppressive.

And Then There Were None (Clair, 1945)

My favourite adaptation of Christie's book. As usual the film changes the ending (oddly kind of kept in the Korean Paradise Murdered which bears some general similarities). An almost joyful approach to the work as there is a seemingly lightheated take on each new killing as if it is all some kind of game. Clair repeatedly focuses in on individuals to help the audience chose the killer almost interactively.

The selling point is the great cast. Barry Fitzgerald, Walter Huston. The great 'Mrs Danvers' Judith Anderson really not caring a jot for what is going on. Roland Young as a detective, although I'll always remember him as Topper. My favourite is Richard Haydn as Rogers the butler, who gets all the best lines. His voice is easily recognised - either from Ball of Fire or the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland. He scares the guests more than the killer at one point by threatening not to serve the food! Although his attempt to serve is easily the best scene in the film.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 6/7/2009 12:28:49 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3998
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 5:00:46 PM   
TRM

Well it really is an excellent sequence and you wouldnt blame Chaplin for wanting to use it in his film. At the time, the production line would have been a massive thing and obviously taking into account what Chaplin wanted to do with his film, it is easy to think that he might not have seen A nous or even known about that sequence. What I am curious to know though is if they were friends/if Chaplin was a fan of Clair at the time. With the lawsuit, didnt Clair Refuse to be a part of it because of his admiration of Chaplin? Its just that if they were friends at all, you would assume Chaplin would have at least heard about the sequence.

Edit: I forgot about the influence to More.

< Message edited by TRM -- 5/7/2009 5:03:20 PM >

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3999
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 5:13:37 PM   
rawlinson

From what I understand everyone at the studio denied ever seeing the film. I can understand Chaplin missing it, but surely someone working at the studio must have done and had the opportunity to warn Chaplin?

quote:

And Then There Were None (Clair, 1945)

My favourite adaptation of Christie's book. As usual the film changes the ending (oddly kind of kept in the Korean Paradise Murdered which bears some general similarities).

The Russian adaptation from the late 80s keeps the ending. Very good film. Even though it adds one scene that really wasn't needed.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4000
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 5:41:58 PM   
elab49

I've still not seen it but I've still got a note of it on my 'to see's from your list.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4001
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 8:37:47 PM   
elab49

Reviewed in June 2009

1. You, The Living (Andersson, 2007)
2. Blessed Event (Del Ruth, 1932)
3. The Sleeping Car Murders (Costa-Gavras, 1965)
4 DeUsynlige (Poppe, 2008)
5 I Wake Up Screaming (Humberstone, 1941).
6 Advise and Consent (Preminger, 1962)
7 The Best Man (Schafner, 1964)
8 That Uncertain Feeling (Lubitsch, 1941)
9 Encounters at the End of the World (Herzog, 2009)
10 Kamikaze Girls (Nakashima, 2004)
11 Compromising Positions (Perry, 1985)
12 Unman, Wittering and Zigo (MacKenzie, 1971)
13 Saltwater (McPherson, 2000)
14 Colorado Territory (Walsh, 1949)
15 High Sierra (Walsh, 1941)
16 Felidae (Schaak, 1994)

17 King Kong (Jackson, 2005)
18 The Naked Truth (Zampi, 1957)

19 Straight Story (Lynch, 1999)
20 Boyz n The Hood (Singleton, 1991)
21 Desk Set (Lang, 1957)
22 Buchanan Rides Alone (Boetticher, 1958)
23 O'Henry's Full House (Various, 1952)
24 5 cm Per Second (Shinkai, 2007)
25 Antarctic Journal (Yim, 2005)
26 I Died a Thousand Times (Heisler, 1955)
27 I Went Down (Breathnach, 1997)
28 Reversal of Fortune (Shroeder, 1990)
29 City of Ember (Kenan, 2008)
30 The Well (Popkin/Rouse, 1951)
31 Suspect (Boulting Bros, 1960)
32 Kick the Moon (Kim, 2001)
33 Watchmen (Snyder, 2009)
34 Bolt (Howard/Williams, 2008)
35 Impact (Lubin, 1949)
36 FBI Story (LeRoy, 1959)
37 Barefoot Contessa (Mankiewicz, 1954)
38 Dead Bodies (Quinn, 2003)
39 Lost (Green, 1956)
40 Baby Mama (McCullers, 2008)
41 Hors de Prix (Priceless) (Salvadori, 2006)

Film of the Month - You, The Living

Shorts watched in June 2009

The Madagascar Penguins in A Christmas Caper (Trousdale, 2005)
The Song-Catcher (Vaucher, 2001)
The Sandman (Berry, 1992)
Cavallette (Grasshoppers) (Bozzetto, 1980)
Special delivery (Weldon, 1978)
Hasta Los Huesos (Castillo, 2001)
Cordell Baker - The Cat Came Back (1988) , Strange Invaders (2002)
When the Day Breaks (Tilby/Forbis, 1999)
Famous Fred (Quinn, 1996)
Bunny (Wedge, 1998)
More (Osborne, 1998)
Billion Dollar Limited (Fleischer, 1942)
Morto the Magician (Vernon, 2001)
The Chubbchubbs (Armstrong, 2002)
Harpya (Servais, 1979)
A Work in Progress (Ball, 2002)
Poultry Paradox (Pedroza, 2001)
Fifty Percent Grey (Robinson, 2001)
Katedra (Bajinski, 2002)
Give Up Yer Aul Sins (Gaffney/O'Connell, 2002)
Jolly Roger (Baker, 1998)

< Message edited by elab49 -- 6/7/2009 8:34:34 AM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4002
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 8:42:09 PM   
Dantes Inferno

You reviewed deUSYNLIGE? Can't remember that, even though I've read much of this thread. What did you think of it?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4003
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 8:46:01 PM   
elab49

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=116&key=

about half way down. There should also be a thank you for the recommendation

quote:

Post #: 4004
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 9:00:15 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Glad you liked it! True, there might be some coincidences, but it's a film that tries a lot of themes, so I kind of ignore it too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4005
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 5/7/2009 11:10:04 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

After what seems like an age away from film watching, finally 3 new entries. Can't be bothered to write anything about them, levels of apathy are too high.

207. Prime (1st view, 2006, Ben Younger) - 3/5*
215. The Ice Harvest (1st view, 2005, Harold Ramis) - 2/5*
219. Vital (1st view, 2004, Shinya Tsukamoto) - 2/5*

July list

1. Thicker Than Water (1th+ view, 1935, James W. Horne) - 5/5
2. Triumph Of The Will/Triumph des Willens (1st view, 1935, Leni Riefenstahl) - 4/5*
3. Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs (1st view, 2009, Carlos Saldanha/Mike Thurmeier) - 4/5*
4. Public Enemies (1st view, 2009, Michael Mann) - 4/5*
5. Inkheart (1st view, 2008, Iain Softley) - 4/5*
6. Children of a Lesser God (1st view, 1986, Randa Haines) - 4/5*
7. Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince (1st view, 2009, David Yates) - 4/5*
8. He Got Game (1st view, 1998, Spike Lee) - 3/5*
9. The Tin Drum (1st view, 1979, Volker Schlöndorff) - 3/5*
10. The Iceman Cometh (1st view, 1973, John Frankenheimer) - 3/5*

11. Coach Carter (1st view, 2005, Thomas Carter) - 3/5*
12. Prime (1st view, 2006, Ben Younger) - 3/5*
13. Secuestro Express (1st view, 2005, Jonathan Jakubowicz) - 3/5*
14. Licence to Kill (2nd view, 1989, John Glen) - 2/5*
15. The Ice Harvest (1st view, 2005, Harold Ramis) - 2/5*
16. Click (1st view, 2006, Frank Coraci) - 2/5*
17. Vital (1st view, 2004, Shinya Tsukamoto) - 2/5*
18. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1st view, 1975, Pier Paolo Pasolini) - 2/5*

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 31/7/2009 11:42:28 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 4006
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 8:34:11 AM   
elab49

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist (Sollett, 2008)

The funniest thing about this film is that it seems to think it is cool and kooky and indie when all it is is another attempt to ape John Hughes, same as films like Get Over It. While also borrowing the lost idiotic friend subplot from Adventures in Babysitting. It isn’t particularly funny and most of the stereotypes are pretty obvious and not notably well done (ex boyfriend and girlfriend) although the leads have a certain charm. At times it seems little more than an excuse to let us all know what’s on the directors ipod but most of it was wallpaper indie stuff which tried to inject cool with Dusty and I recognised Richard Hawley in there as well.

Where it really fails is the title. For any of us who understand the reference the arrogance of trying to align the writing here to one of the screen’s greatest comic partnerships simply makes the writers seem like arrogant twonks.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4007
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 11:12:13 AM   
Gram123

In June I only saw a paltry 6 films (my lowest for at least a couple of years), so this month I'm going to make a concerted effort to see more. I began by renting 4 dvds of big (as in successful) films from 2008. Of the first two, the first I found to be better than expected, the second, worse:

030) Gran Torino  (Clint Eastwood, USA / Germany / Australia, 2008) - 7.0
Starring Eastwood as Walt Kowalski, an aged, grumbling, racist and curmudgeonly veteran of the Korean war, the last white man in a now multi-ethnic neighbourhood. An incident in which he scares off some gang members and his own semi-estrangement from his own sons, sees him develop an unlikely fatherly role in the life of his young Hmong-Chinese neighbour Thao.
The success of the film comes primarily from Eastwood's portrayal of the Kowalski character - despite being set in his ways, the casual (and constant) racial slurs he utters, he has an inherent good side and softens somewhat as he becomes immersed in his neighbours familial situation.

It's quite a simple little film, and with a lesser actor in the lead role, it could have fell flat, particularly as some events are a bit too heavily signposted, and the acting from from some characters is pretty weak (on a sliding scale, Christopher Carley as the priest > Ahney Her as Sue > Bee Vang as Thao / Toad). But quite enjoyable overall.

040) Slumdog Millionaire  (Danny Boyle & Loveleen Tandan, UK, 2008) - 6.5 
I had some knowledge of the film's structure prior to watching, of how as each question was asked, it would show how Jamal came to know the answers, and whilst it didn't quite work like that in practice, this wasn't an issue.
However, the film simply didn't live up to the hype, for me.

I thought the first section, with Jamal and Salim as very young kids was good, but as it went on I found myself getting more dissapointed in it. I found I couldn't believe in the love story between Jamal and Latika (they spent a little time together as young kids, one day together as slightly older kids, and then as young adults they were automatically in love).

I didn't take to Anil Kapoor as Prem, but thought perhaps that was due to the limitations of having to act as a TV presenter. His character improved a little from the bathroom incident onwards. More importantly, I found Dev Patel's underplayed acting for much of the film quite annoying and was much more impressed with his childhood counterparts.

I also have to say, the music irked me. Not particularly for the actual songs (though the MIA track felt kind of inappropriate), but for the volume. They were far too loud in the mix, so every song that came on completely took over, and took me right out of the film rather than complementing the visuals.
On the postive side, it was beautifully shot, even when showing the seens of dereliction.

Performance list addition:
12) Clint Eastwood - "Walt Kowalski"  (Gran Torino, 2008)

And one I missed:
26) Gene Hackman - "Royal Tenenbaum"  (The Royal Tenenbaums, 2001)

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4008
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 11:29:07 AM   
elab49

Too Many Crooks (Zampi, 1959)

Lesser British caper comedy but nonetheless enjoyable – the coffin chase is pretty well known. Terry-Thomas sleazes for England as an arms dealer and tax evader initially glad that a team of incompetents accidentally kidnap his wife then worried he'll be charged with her murder (again, slight hints of Ransom of the Red Chief here). She, on the other hand, decides to get her own back. Hardly a surprise – you're never going to believe Brenda de Banzie as weak and timid if you grew up with her in Hobson's Choice. Cole is the incompetent leader of the gang of crooks who end up turning to DeBanzie for plans – Sid James (inexplicably below Bresslaw in the cast list – and has any other actor ever played characters with their own given name more often than Sid James?) also appears and there are nice turns from John le Mesurier as a severly dischuffed JP and even Terry Scott as an aggrieved cop. This and the fire scene are the high points of the film.

quote:

040) Slumdog Millionaire  (Danny Boyle & Loveleen Tandan, UK, 2008) - 6.5 

The romance bit is the bit that works least for me was well.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 4009
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 11:40:11 AM   
Rinc

June was a good month for me, i watched 38 and only one was a dud:

2. Back To The Future (Zemeckis, 1985) - 9
7. Return To Oz (Murch, 1985) - 8
11. Back To The Future Part II (Zemeckis, 1989) - 8
16. *In the Heat of the Night (Jewison, 1967) - 8
21. Back To The Future Part III (Zemeckis, 1990) - 7
25. *Walkabout (Roeg, 1971) - 7
27. *Straw Dogs (Peckinpah, 1971) - 7
32. *Wuthering Heights (Wyler, 1939) - 7
36. *Stalag 17 (Wilder, 1953) - 7
37. *Kramer vs Kramer (Benton, 1979) - 7
41. *Chaplin (Attenborough, 1992) - 7
46. *Viridiana (Bunuel, 1961) - 7
65. *The Man Who Knew Too Much (Hitchcock, 1956) - 7
70. *La Grande Illusion (Renior, 1937) - 7
73. *Grizzly Man (Herzog, 2005) - 7
75. *Hud (Ritt, 1963) - 7
79. *Detour (Ulmer, 1945) - 7
82. *Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh, 1993) - 6
84. *Arsenic And Old Lace (Capra, 1944) - 6
85. *Gallipoli (Weir, 1981) - 6
91. *Forbidden Games (Clement, 1952) - 6
92. *My Own Private Idaho (Van Sant, 1991) - 6
93. *Destry Rides Aagin (Marshall, 1939) - 6
97. Glengarry Glen Ross (Foley, 1992) - 6
102. *The Gold Rush (Chaplin, 1925) - 6
103. *The Lady Eve (Sturges, 1941) - 6
107. *End Of Summer (Ozu, 1961) - 6
108. *The Innocents (Clayton, 1961) - 6
109. *Gomorra (Garrone, 2008) - 6
110. *White Sun of the Desert (Motyl, 1970) - 6
113. *West Side Story (Wise/Robbins, 1961) - 6
120. *Meeting People Is Easy (Gee, 1998) - 6
126. *The Day The Earth Caught Fire (Guest, 1961) - 6
133. *Frankenstein (Whale, 1931) - 6
138. *Bride of Frankenstein (Whale, 1935) - 6
144. *The Man Who Knew Too Much (Hitchcock, 1934) - 6
145. *Mrs Miniver (Wyler, 1942) - 6
154. *The Omega Man (Sagal, 1971) - 5

Decades
20's: 1
30's: 6
40's: 4
50's: 3
60's: 7
70's: 5
80's: 4
90's: 6
00's: 2

New Viewings: 138
Repeat Viewings: 32

--------------------------------------

* First viewing

Ratings:

10. Perfect in every way
9. Absolutely brilliant
8. Fantastic
7. Very good
6. Good
5. Ok
4. Poor
3. Very poor
2. Terrible
1. One of the worst films ever
0. An abomination of cinema/humanity

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 4010
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 11:42:35 AM   
elab49

Did you put up a review of Day the Earth Caught Fire, Rinc?

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 4011
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 11:47:16 AM   
impqueen

I only watched four films last week, luckily three were superb, unfortunately the other made my eyes bleed and I find it wholly responsible for my current illness.  I have the flu, a throat infection, an ear ache and my wisdom teeth feel like there's a pneumatic drill constantly at work on my face.

004: Chimes at Midnight (Welles, 1965) FR/SPN/SUI (? View)
065: Touch of Evil (Welles, 1958) USA (12th View)
083: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Anderson, 2004) USA (10th View)

211: Transformers (Bay, 2007) USA (2nd View, 4th Attempt)

< Message edited by impqueen -- 6/7/2009 11:48:11 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4012
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 11:50:48 AM   
elab49

Flu  Combined with wisdom tooth stuff

Love the '4th attempt' bit - perfectly understandable. You know if you and Prof vote in the 1965 consensus Chimes will probably get a top 10 spot

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 4013
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:00:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Its possible, but never rule out "those magnificent men in their flying machines"... now come on elab, all together... "they go up, diddley up up, they go down, diddley down down....."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4014
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:01:36 PM   
elab49

upty up up and down de down down, surely?

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4015
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:02:08 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Did you put up a review of Day the Earth Caught Fire, Rinc?

Alas i didn't. I've been really poor with film reviews for the last few months.

I did enjoy The Day The Earth Caught Fire despite it's relatively low placing in June's list. The shots of a deserted London are brilliant and the way the government plays out the weapons testing is very interesting. To be honest i didn't really care for the characters and it was the potential doomsday i was more interested in. The newspaper setting is good though - clueless people trying to find out the truth is how it would probably happen. And i love an ambiguous ending!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4016
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:04:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

you are not diddley-ing enough elab.... I wasn't sure of the lyrics, but that was the first hit I got on Google :-D

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4017
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:05:48 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Its possible, but never rule out "those magnificent men in their flying machines"... now come on elab, all together... "they go up, diddley up up, they go down, diddley down down....."

If that's a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or a Mary Poppins reference, I might just kill someone.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4018
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:13:37 PM   
elab49

Oddly enough PA it's a those "magnificent men in their flying machines" reference

I don't know if you saw the review I did above - have you ever seen A Nous La Liberte? wrt More - that animation you reviewed before me.

Rinc - I know you mark, well, harsher isn't fair but slightly lower than me so the mark seemed pretty impressive

Prof - this song leaves my head by 1pm or I will not be happy!

quote:

Post #: 4019
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 6/7/2009 12:17:48 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Rinc - I know you mark, well, harsher isn't fair but slightly lower than me so the mark seemed pretty impressive

I think if i had the same marking system as most other people nearly all the films i see would be an 8 or 9.

I'm also harsher with marking films the first time i see them. Usually with a second viewing a film will go up, and i can see The Day The Earth Caught Fire definitely going up. I could watch those matte paintings all day.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4020
Page:   <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  132 133 [134] 135 136   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI