Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 14/6/2009 10:44:11 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon
. I also said that the second was marginally superior; sue me, after watching the second again, the first is now marginally superior. Figures.

Hooray! Told you so

Great reviews btw, really enjoyable recap (though I still haven't seen Terminator Salvation).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 3421
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 14/6/2009 10:46:44 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Hooray! Told you so

Great reviews btw, really enjoyable recap (though I still haven't seen Terminator Salvation).

I know It took another rewatch, that's all. Honestly, I keep thinking about how great the first one was now, excellent film,

And thanks, I was gonna make it stuffy at first (see the opening paragraph for evidence) but realised it'd be much better if I talked about naked Arnie instead.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3422
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 14/6/2009 10:48:16 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Wow, EP, that's some metal-solid writing. I didn't know you were this good at reviewing. You really impressed me!

The Terminator saga, I'm not the biggest fan, but I find them to be a fun watch.

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 14/6/2009 10:49:05 PM >

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

Post #: 3423
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 14/6/2009 10:54:41 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Wow, EP, that's some metal-solid writing. I didn't know you were this good at reviewing. You really impressed me!

The Terminator saga, I'm not the biggest fan, but I find them to be a fun watch.

Thanks Dante, although please, if one more person calls me EP I'm gonna open a can of cyborg whoop ass
I just can't be bothered to review sometimes, it's my failing as a prospective writer - I get bored very quickly indeed.

I think it's very easy to interpret the Terminators as two different things entirely; one as these throwaway romps that are just good entertainment, and one for those who are willing to delve deep into the mythology of the whole thing, find themselves wrapped up in the timeline and really connect with those that are going through this hell on earth.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 3424
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 14/6/2009 11:13:17 PM   
paul_ie86

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (just about) > The Terminator >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines > Terminator Salvation

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 14/6/2009 11:20:46 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 3425
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 15/6/2009 2:39:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

A great film and I'm really pleased you liked it, but no mention of Springsteen?

Well, I've never heard the song. In fact, I don't think I could recognise any of his songs if I heard them. Stringbean however..

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3426
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 15/6/2009 5:07:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

4. The Long Day Closes (1st view, 1992, Terence Davies) - 5/5*
Not really sure what to say about this except that it's simply wonderful. A nostalgic biographical film from the director about growing up in Liverpool. The use of film quotes in the soundtrack, the beautiful gliding camerawork, the natural performances, the music, it all creates such a remarkable atmosphere. You know sometimes you can tell you'll love a film based on the first minute or so? This was one of them for me.

172. Top Gun (2nd view, 1986, Tony Scott) - 3/5
Just about everything that Tony Scott's has directed and Tom Cruise has starred in since is better than this, but it's still fun in a silly way. Best thing about it is Anthony Edwards.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3427
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 15/6/2009 11:21:13 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

172. Top Gun (2nd view, 1986, Tony Scott) - 3/5
Just about everything that Tony Scott's has directed and Tom Cruise has starred in since is better than this, but it's still fun in a silly way. Best thing about it is Anthony Edwards.

Although can you ever take Edwards seriously after watching Deadmeat in Hot Shots?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3428
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 15/6/2009 2:02:33 PM   
Pigeon Army

50. Detour (1945, G. Ulmer) - 4.5/5
Given the shitloads of hype this film gets around here, and given my love for film noir, I figured I had to see this, and see it I did. Detour takes a surprisingly long time to get going, given it's a seventy-minute film - it's not a good sign when one third of the film has passed before the film gets really interesting. However, once that first third has passed, Detour is amazing, a cunning thrill-ride that delivers exactly what the audience doesn't expect - it cleverly avoids what would've been a messy and painfully cliched noir plotline near the end in stunning fashion, for one - and does so in style. Tom Neal's performance as the put-upon everyman is suitably downtrodden and sympathetic, but his performance is nothing compared to the tour-de-force performance of Ann Savage as perennial femme fatale Vera. Her performance in this film is talked up, and for good reason - she's a force of nature, a vicious, biting, unpredictable maelstrom of menace and unnatural intellect, and Savage puts this across expertly without ever losing sight of the fact that Vera's just as human and just as up shit creek as her unwilling companion. Special mention must also go to Ulmer's blistering dialogue and to the cinematography, fantastic even with the lacklustre print I managed to pick up. A true noir classic with only a couple of flaws holding it back from being a masterpiece.

70. Hot Rod (2007, Schaffer) - 4/5
I can't remember if it was Piles or TRM who recommended this (I suspect TRM, seeing as Piles is developing an aversion to fun ), but whoever it was, thank you, because this was an excellent recommendation, if one that was full of flaws. It's quite clear that the main role wasn't written with Samberg in mind, and while he wrestles gamely with the character, a number of times you find yourself seeing Will Ferrell on screen instead of Samberg, and it's really a disservice to the man's talent. There's also the problems regarding Isla Fisher's and Sissy Spacek's characters in the film, who are underdeveloped and underused respectively, and there's the fact that it's not exactly a technically-accomplished film. But really, you're not here for the pretty pictures, and Hot Rod is excellent where it counts, being as it is a fricking hilarious ninety minutes. Be it the 'Stuntman' montage, the 'You're the Voice' sequence (John Farnham rocks ), the 'Cool Beans' sequence, Ian McShane generally, Richardson handing out flyers, or the 'Hwhiskey' exchange, among other sequences, Hot Rod is consistently hilarious, and it helps that it also has a number of good throwaway gags (the continuity error with the laundry and the Psyduck on Kevin's bed being my favourites, the latter because it reminds me of this forum ) and some excellent performances from all involved, particularly Samberg, McShane and Chris Parnell, that eternal legend. However, it should also be noted that, unlike many Ferrell vehicles, the lead character here is actually likable and not hideously obnoxious, and that makes all the difference - while Rod is still an emotionally-stunted manchild, he's a lot more emotionally developed than most of Ferrell's characters, to the point that you're actually rooting for him at the end. And what point's a comedy of this type if you can't root for the lead character?

Performance List Additions
Ann Savage as Vera (Detour, 1945)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 3429
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 15/6/2009 2:17:58 PM   
Pigeon Army

Right, finally, stats for May -

01.    Se7en (1995, Fincher) – 5/5**
02.    Fight Club (1999, Fincher) – 4.5/5*
03.    The Third Man (1949, Reed) – 4.5/5
04.    F For Fake (1974, Welles) – 4.5/5*
05.    Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (Spirited Away) (2001, Miyazaki) – 4.5/5
06.    When The Wind Blows (1986, T. Murakami) – 4.5/5
07.    Rope (1948, Hitchcock) – 4.5/5
08.    The Long Goodbye (1973, Altman) – 4.5/5
09.    Lat sau san taam (Hard-Boiled) (1992, Woo) – 4.5/5
10.    Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975, Weir) – 4.5/5

11.    The Darjeeling Limited (2007, Anderson) – 4/5
12.    eXistenZ (1999, Cronenberg) – 4/5
13.    Lost Highway (1997, Lynch) – 4/5
14.    Star Trek (2009, Abrams) – 4/5
15.    Xin jing cha gu shi (New Police Story) (2004, Chan) – 4/5
16.    Suspect Zero (2004, Elias Merhige) – 3.5/5
17.    Manhunter (1986, Mann) – 3.5/5
18.    Before Sunrise (1995, Linklater) – 3.5/5 
19.    Russkiy kovcheg (Russian Ark) (2002, Sokurov) – 3.5/5
20.    Ocean's Twelve (2004, Soderbergh) – 3.5/5

21.    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994, Shadyac) – 3.5/5
22.    Sleepless in Seattle (1993, Ephron) – 3.5/5
23.    Ying xiong wu lei (Heroes Shed No Tears) (1986, Woo) – 3/5
24.    Reservoir Dogs (1992, Tarantino) – 3/5*
25.    Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, Wrath of God) (1972, Herzog) – 2.5/5
26.    Angels & Demons (2009, Howard) – 2.5/5

SHORT FILMS
01.    Free Radicals (1979, Lye) – 4/5
02.    A Colour Box (1935, Lye) – 4/5
03.    Rhythmus 23 (1923, Richter) – 3.5/5
04.    Le retour à la raison (Return to Reason) (1923, Ray) – 3.5/5
05.    Un chien andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Buñuel) – 3/5
06.    Meshes of the Afternoon (1943, Deren & Hammid) – 1/5

Decade Breakdown
00s - 08
90s - 09 
80s - 03
70s - 05
60s - 00
50s - 00
40s - 03
30s - 01
20s - 03
10s - 00
1900s - 00

Top 10 Performances of May 2009
01.    Kevin Spacey as John Doe (Se7en, 1995)
02.    Elliott Gould as Phillip Marlowe (The Long Goodbye, 1973)
03.    Edward Norton as The Narrator (Fight Club, 1999)
04.    Orson Welles as Harry Lime (The Third Man, 1949)
05.    Joseph Cotten as Holly Martins (The Third Man, 1949)
06.    Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden (Fight Club, 1999)
07.    John Dall as Brandon Shaw (Rope, 1948)
08.    Sergei Dontsov as The Stranger (Russian Ark, 2002)
09.    Tony Leung Chiu Wai as Tony (Hard-Boiled, 1992)
10.    Rachel Roberts as Mrs. Appleyard (Picnic at Hanging Rock, 1975)

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 15/6/2009 2:37:19 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 3430
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 15/6/2009 3:59:18 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

Given the shitloads of hype this film gets around here, and given my love for film noir, I figured I had to see this, and see it I did. Detour takes a surprisingly long time to get going, given it's a seventy-minute film - it's not a good sign when one third of the film has passed before the film gets really interesting.

For some reason, I love the first fifteen minutes of Detour. I mean, really love. Perhaps it's the really cheesy song or the doomed romanticism or Tom Neal's pouting or the rawness of the hitch-hicking sequences or the great narration ("someone whistles something, or says a certain phrase, or you catch a whiff of perfume.... and you're licked again!" )but that stuff really gets to me. Glad you liked it though. Anne Savage scared me.

Hot Rod, on the other hand, was smug and unfunny- just like Ferrell's work, really.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 15/6/2009 4:22:28 PM >

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 3431
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 1:54:18 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

Given the shitloads of hype this film gets around here, and given my love for film noir, I figured I had to see this, and see it I did. Detour takes a surprisingly long time to get going, given it's a seventy-minute film - it's not a good sign when one third of the film has passed before the film gets really interesting.

For some reason, I love the first fifteen minutes of Detour. I mean, really love. Perhaps it's the really cheesy song or the doomed romanticism or Tom Neal's pouting or the rawness of the hitch-hicking sequences or the great narration ("someone whistles something, or says a certain phrase, or you catch a whiff of perfume.... and you're licked again!" )but that stuff really gets to me. Glad you liked it though. Anne Savage scared me.

Hot Rod, on the other hand, was smug and unfunny- just like Ferrell's work, really.

Tom Neal did pout a lot, didn't he? He puts my sister to shame in the pouting stakes.

Totally disagree with your assessment of Hot Rod, too, obviously - unfunny? That's subjective, even though you're so obviously wrong , but smug? Blades of Glory is smug. This is John the Baptist-humble in comparison, and it's actually pretty un-smug generally, because they don't necessarily treat the characters as a source of ultimate scorn because they're emotionally-stunted white-trash manchildren, they actually have sympathy for and make you root for the characters. And that, to me, doesn't ring of smug, "Ha look at these people we're so much better than them and we make awesome films" filmmaking.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 3432
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 2:06:17 AM   
TRM

Hot Rod must have been recommended by Piles. I havent ever seen it, but now it seems like im missing out. 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

Post #: 3433
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 2:33:59 PM   
Pigeon Army

136. The Hangover (2009, Phillips) - 4/5
While the ads and trailer don't necessarily do a whole lot to sell this (though there's something that I'll always find funny about a bus-stop ad with Zach Galifianakis with a baby strapped to him and a caption saying "Whose baby is this?"), I was already going to see it because I think Bradley Cooper's excellent and I keep hearing good things about Helms and Galifianakis. Luckily, it didn't disappoint - while it's by no means a revolutionary comedy (and very undeserving of its current place on the IMDB Top 250 - place 138, if you're interested), The Hangover is a very funny and surprisingly clever bringing to life of that age-old question after a night of hard drinking - "What the fuck happened last night?" Cooper, Helms and Galifianakis all play their parts well, Galifianakis getting most of the laughs, though that's mainly because his character's the overgrown manchild of the bunch ("I'm not supposed to be within 200 feet of a school." "Really?" "Or a Chuck'e'Cheese."). The film works its conceit well, and it does come with a number of great moments (Helms' Snoozing Tiger song was gold, and Rob Riggle's little part was just great), but all in all, it's fairly disposable entertainment.

147. Gwai wik (Re-Cycle) (2006, Pang Chun & Pang) - 4/5

A surprisingly atmospheric and visually striking film, this Hong Kong-Thailand co-production reminded me of Silent Hill, except there's actually substance here to go along with the impeccable visuals. Lee Sinje stars as Tsui Ting-Yin, a writer who is following up a trilogy of successful dramatic romance novels with a supernatural story called 'The Recycle'. After she ditches her original draft of her first chapter, strange and fucked-up things start to happen to her, culminating in her ending up in another world - dilapidated and full of things she and others have abandoned in their lives. The 'Recycle' land or whatever it's called is rendered in stunning form, and the visual effects here often rival the biggest Hollywood productions in terms of their effectiveness and aesthetic value. The film also has good performances and a decent story running through it, tying off with a fanastic ending. However, the message - never forget the things you've left behind and abandoned in your life, because they're likely living in some sort of recurring hell - is a little suspect, and when combined with some of the things they use to illustrate it, particularly SPOILERS abortion SPOILERS END, the film becomes a little unnecessarily political. Despite this, it's still a pretty effective horror film.

NB: Don't buy any version of the film put out on DVD by Force Entertainment. The subtitles are unqualified shit.

SHORT FILMS

02. More (1998, Osborne) - 5/5

From one of the directors of Kung Fu Panda comes this very different and much more downbeat claymation tale of a depressed little grey guy in a world of depressed little grey guys, who uses his time off from working at the 'Happy' factory to build a pair of 'Bliss Glasses' - essentially, rose-tinted glasses that make everything you see happy. However, in doing so, the glasses become an overnight success, and the little grey guy ends up sacrificing the special ingredient that helped him make the glasses in the first place in order to get to the top. It's a wonderfully-animated, resoundingly sad tale that is just incredibly affecting, and the final shot of the kids on the merry-go-round - a recurring motif symbolising our little grey guy's attempt to capture happiness in his ugly grey little world -is utterly heartbreaking. A must-see.

06. Duck Amuck (1953, Jones) - 4.5/5**

Aside from the sometimes archaic language that takes me out of it for some odd reason, Duck Amuck is a goddamned classic, and for good reason. Outrageously hilarious and inventive, but you already knew that.

10. Reach (2009, Randall) - 4.5/5

Like Kiwi! but with a robot, Reach tells the tale of a little white robot who comes to life, but soon finds that what he really wants - to meet the bird outside - is inaccessible to him because his life is limited by the power cord giving him life. It's not as effective as Kiwi!, but it's still definitely worth a look, beautifully animated and bittersweet.

13. The Bloody Olive (1996, Bal) - 4/5

A German short film parodying the excesses of film noir, as a couple, Mylene and Werner, preparing for Christmas are interrupted by the Werner's colleague, Sam, who knows Werner's been embezzling from his company and wants Werner to resign and give him the money - or else. Double-cross after double-cross ensues to great comedic effect. Visually, it's a pitch-perfect knock-off of so many classic noir films, and the acting all sells it wonderfully. It's a little one-note, but what a note it is.

14. Bunny (1998, Wedge) - 4/5

A surprisingly mature and moving animation from the creator of Ice Age, Chris Wedge's tale of a geriatric bunny getting annoyed by a moth is a very good look at death and how we deal with it. However, something just didn't connect with me, I don't know what, and that stops it from being better in my books.

31. The Boy Who Saw the Iceberg (2000, Driessen) - 4/5

Driessen's animation style is often quite hard to follow, but this cleverly-done split-screen tale of a boy with a wild imagination who goes on a cruiser trip is a bittersweet, ultimately sad tale of youthful innocence and how we always desire the opposite of what we have.

50. The Big Empty (2005, Chang & Thomas Sigel) - 3/5

Selma Blair's vagina is as vast and empty as the Arctic Tundra, and Elias Koteas' gynecological specialist exploits this emptiness for his own fame. Then shit happens. This short is beautifully-filmed and has some funny moments, and is complimented by an excellent performance from Elias Koteas and a funny supporting performance by Richard Kind (also, Hugh Laurie cameos as a gynecologist!), but it's ultimately let-down by some overwrought writing, an overly-twee score, and Selma Blair being as charismaless and emotionless as she possibly can be. A disappointment.

51. When the Day Breaks (1999, Forbis & Tilby) - 3/5

For an Oscar winning short, this animation certainly isn't all that shit-hot. While the animation is exceptional, and it starts off well, contrasting the two morning routines of an anthropomorphic chicken and an anthropomorphic pig, the film's ultimately let-down by being too superficial and caught up in how deep it wants to be to actually say anything of any substance.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 16/6/2009 2:34:45 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 3434
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:11:05 PM   
elab49

Aside from the sometimes archaic language that takes me out of it for some odd reason, Duck Amuck is a goddamned classic, and for good reason. Outrageously hilarious and inventive, but you already knew that.

And yet only 4.5. Did you remove the reason for the stars? And 0.5 less than something from the guy who made Kung Fu Panda?!? (A little unfair I know - did you catch it in the Youtube screening room? I've just watched it myself. I think it was a more deserving winner than Bunny, although I seem to recall seeing Canterbury Tales and thinking they were quite good - I can't find them for a rewatch though).

I think you're right on Robot though - they maker has definitely seen Kiwi. And tends to the pointless side of the argument, I think!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 3435
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:14:49 PM   
Piles

Gold Rush, the (1925, Charles Chaplin)
“The Gold Rush” stars Chaplin as his iconic character, the Little Tramp. Living in a hut during the gold rush in Alaska, he searches for gold with his rugged mining buddies and love in the form of Georgia, played by Georgia Hale. One of Chaplin’s downright funniest films, “the Gold Rush” plays host to some of his very best comedy set-ups. I don’t want to go into reeling them off, partly because you should discover them for yourselves and partly because there are too many to choose from, but I don’t know if there’s another Chaplin film that can rival “the Gold Rush” for sheer laughs. It’s also a bit different. In my full review of this film, I mention that the girls in Chaplin films are much of the same mould; sweet, desirable, and almost in as much of a jam as the tramp itself.  Here, Georgia is a high class socialite who only talks to Charlie to play and taunt him. It’s a great twist on a good formula, and it adds some much needed suspense to the film. It’s also heartbreaking, as all good Chaplin films often are. He’s always invested a fine mix of sweet (but not sickly) melodrama and comedy into his films, and “the Gold Rush” is no different. It invests emotion in its characters, particularly the Little Tramp, heightening the tragic plight that he’s in. There’s nothing in the movies that can induce a tear and a laugh at the same time like Chaplin dreaming about meeting his sweet Georgia and her friends on New Years Eve or the Little Tramp eating a shoe. But the tragedy in no way outweighs the comedy, and Chaplin accompanies the film with his usual happy ending. Everything is tied up in a neat little bow, and – unlike in some films – it’s all the better for it. Chaplin had a gift for making you smile and never feeling uneasy at a wholly happy ending, and this film is a testament to that. 5/5.

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992, James Foley)
“Glengarry Glen Ross” is a talky film about a group of salesmen (Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, and Alan Arkin) working for a small telecommunications firm. When an outsider (Alec Baldwin) comes in to give a speech on closing and efficiency, they’re told that only two of them will keep their jobs. “First prize is a Cadillac. Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize; you’re fired.” “Glengarry Glen Ross” has two major strengths. The first is its writing, which is just short of genius. Based on David Mamet’s play, which I haven’t seen but really want to, and converted into screenplay form by the same man. The witty banter flies across the screen like bullets, and Mamet sculpts a script that is cynical, funny, and highly intelligent. It’s incredible, really, that in a film with no real action and where so little happens, you never once feel anywhere near to being bored. The other strength is the acting. From such a strong ensemble cast, which also includes Kevin Spacey and Jonathan Pryce, you would expect wonders, and that’s exactly what you get. Spacey is brilliantly smarmy and equally sympathetic. Harris is angry, volatile, and utterly unlikable. Pacino is impressively impressive, putting across an aura of invincibility and of success, but an uneasy one at best. If there’s one salesman here who we wouldn’t like to meet, it’s him. Baldwin, in his highly regarded twenty minute cameo, is absolutely detestable but strangely inspiring. But the true star, undoubtedly, is Jack Lemmon, who manages to make this man – someone who we would hate to be on the phone with – incredibly likable and entirely sympathetic. He’s just trying to get by, feed his kids, and make his wife happy, but however much he tries he just can’t. And that, coupled with the fact that nobody will ever really like him, is ultimately heartbreaking. 4/5.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946, Tay Garnett)
This somewhat disappointing noir is the story of Frank Chambers (John Garfield), a drifter who stumbles upon a burger shop run by Cora Smith (Lana Turner) and owned by her richer, older husband Nick (Cecil Kellaway). Predictably enough, they fall in love, and then plot to do in Nick in his bath tub. As a noir, it’s not really up there with the best for me, but it certainly has something about it. There are some very nicely done moments, particularly the introduction of Cora. Shot in somewhat lighter tones than the rest of the shadowy film, Lana Turner is practically glowing. Her presence is almost angelic, and it does a good job of conveying the love (or lust) at first sight for Frank. The murders are suitably gritty, spontaneous, and flustered, putting across how hard it must be to actually kill someone a lot better than the stylish, casual killings of films today and – to be honest – of other noirs at the time. But for all its hard work, “the Postman Always Rings Twice” is an overly complicated, over-long, and overly melodramatic film that doesn’t follow up the good moments with anything worthy of note. The court scene is ridiculous; a frantic, silly mess of a scene that doesn’t really make much sense. It’s also overly repetitive. Cora and Nick fall in and out of love more times than I could care to count, and sometimes I just wished that they would get on with it. The performances are solid, particularly from the lovely Lana Turner, but the characters are so utterly irredeemable that you find yourself cheering for poor old Nick… a man who is, in reality, actually quite decent, and who didn’t deserve any punishment at all, let alone death. 3/5.

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977, Lewis Gilbert)
Roger Moore’s Bond is back with his third Bond film, after the decent but silly “Live and Let Die” and the rubbish but silly “the Man With the Golden Gun”, and here he’s on the hunt for some stolen nuclear missiles. Stalled away on submarines, Bond enlists the help of a KGB agent, Anya Amasova (Barbara Bach), whose lover he killed. For me, Bond films always fall into one of three categories. The first is the ones which are actually quite good, like the first three, “Casino Royale”, “OHMSS” and “Goldeneye”. The second is the ones that are cheesy, a little bit rubbish, but really quite watchable, like “For Your Eyes Only” and “A View to a Kill”, or pretty much ever one that Moore starred in. The third are the ones that take themselves seriously and are, in reality, a load of old tosh, like “Die Another Day” and “Quantum of Solace”. I was previously undecided whether “the Spy Who Loved Me”, helmed by “Alfie” director Lewis Gilbert and one of the few films that Stanley Kubrick was involved in (he oversaw lighting under the condition that nobody would ever know he did… clearly the secret got out), fell into the first or the second category. It’s one of my personal favourites, and definitely Moore’s best effort, but after a re-watch I do think it’s one of the films that are really enjoyable, have their moments of brilliance, but are actually a little bit rubbish as well. Starting with a great stunt and not really letting up from there, “TSWLM” is a rollercoaster ride of action, guns, sex, and quips. Moore’s 007 is in his element, his eyebrows going into overdrive and relishing some of the best one-liners in the whole series (“I’m keeping the British end up, sir”). The villain, Curd Jurgens’ Karl Stromberg, is a little bit rubbish, but he’s accompanied by one of the all-time iconic henchmen, Jaws (the humongous Richard Kiel). By “Moonraker”, he may have become little more than a running joke, but here he’s imposing and dominant, and when we first see him – shrouded by shadow amongst Egyptian pyramids – it’s just about one of the best character introductions of the whole series. One that I can re-watch time and time again, despite all of its flaws. 3/5.

Family Plot (1976, Alfred Hitchcock)
Probably the worst film Hitchcock ever made, “Family Plot” is a light hearted thriller about a fake medium named Blanche Tyler (Barbara Harris) and her taxi driver boyfriend George Lumely (Bruce Dern). They’re hired by a wealthy, dying woman to locate her one and only heir; Arthur Adamson (William Devane), who is running a kidnap and ransom scam with his girlfriend, Fran (Karen Black). As with all Hitchcock films, there is always some good stuff going on. It’s suspenseful, even for a film this bonkers, and at times it’s even darkly hilarious. But, unfortunately, this particular Hitchcock film is weighed down by overwhelming negatives. The acting is poor at best, particularly from Blanche Tyler, who is just about the most annoying character Hitchcock ever brought to the big screen. The villains are clichéd, two-dimensional caricatures, which probably accounts to why William Devine and Karen Black (who was brilliant in “Five Easy Pieces”) get away relatively unscathed. They aren’t stretched by any means, but they manage to be mysterious and creepy enough to get by. And, despite the fact that it’s only just over two hours long, it’s well too long. “Torn Curtain”, a film of similar length, gets by because – in parts – it’s actually quite gritty and it’s always relatively gripping, but “Family Plot” is something you can easily drift in and out of without missing anything or gaining anything. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but this film was made by the master of cinema himself. Hitch gets his reputation because his films are so awesomely gripping (I challenge anyone to drift off whilst watching “Rear Window”, or even something like “Rope”), and here he’s just squandering what was once an immaculate talent. This was the last film he’d ever make, and it’s a shame that he had to go out on what – compared to the rest of his oeuvre – is a weak film at best. 2/5.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3436
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:15:57 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

And yet only 4.5. Did you remove the reason for the stars? And 0.5 less than something from the guy who made Kung Fu Panda?!? (A little unfair I know - did you catch it in the Youtube screening room? I've just watched it myself. I think it was a more deserving winner than Bunny, although I seem to recall seeing Canterbury Tales and thinking they were quite good - I can't find them for a rewatch though).

I think you're right on Robot though - they maker has definitely seen Kiwi. And tends to the pointless side of the argument, I think!

The reason is the language. It really takes me out. I cringe whenever I hear Bugs Bunny goes "Ain't I a stinker?", just because it sounds like something a five-year-old in a diabetes-inducingly-sweet cartoon would say today. It seems trivial, but it just really dates the short for me.

And More is definitely better - so what if Osborne went on to make Kung Fu Panda? At least he didn't go on to make Ice Age, like the real Oscar winner did.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3437
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:17:36 PM   
elab49

I'd say I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda in the same way I did Ice Age, to be honest. And Panda never had a Scrat - and I loved him.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 3438
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:22:08 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I'd say I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda in the same way I did Ice Age, to be honest. And Panda never had a Scrat - and I loved him.

I enjoy KFP over Ice Age, because, even without a Scrat, I was actually surprised by how clever and funny KFP was, and it really saved Dreamworks from a seemingly neverending drought of mediocrity because it was quite good. KFP's such a waste of a good voice cast, though - Jackie Chan has what, four lines total?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3439
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:27:04 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

I enjoy KFP over Ice Age, because, even without a Scrat, I was actually surprised by how clever and funny KFP was, and it really saved Dreamworks from a seemingly neverending drought of mediocrity because it was quite good. KFP's such a waste of a good voice cast, though - Jackie Chan has what, four lines total?

I would say I enjoy Ice Age more because it stars the stars of two of my favourite programs, and also the awesome John Leguiziamo. I love the witty banter between those three... it really makes the film. Throw Queen Latifah into the mix, though, and it loses a lot of its charm, as we all know. Kung Fu Panda is good too, though, and the fight choreography is quite brilliant. It does waste Chan and David Cross, though, in favour of the less talented Jack Black...

Post #: 3440
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:37:49 PM   
Rinc

Piles have you been YouTubing?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 3441
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 3:42:31 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

02. More (1998, Osborne) - 5/5
From one of the directors of Kung Fu Panda comes this very different and much more downbeat claymation tale of a depressed little grey guy in a world of depressed little grey guys, who uses his time off from working at the 'Happy' factory to build a pair of 'Bliss Glasses' - essentially, rose-tinted glasses that make everything you see happy. However, in doing so, the glasses become an overnight success, and the little grey guy ends up sacrificing the special ingredient that helped him make the glasses in the first place in order to get to the top. It's a wonderfully-animated, resoundingly sad tale that is just incredibly affecting, and the final shot of the kids on the merry-go-round - a recurring motif symbolising our little grey guy's attempt to capture happiness in his ugly grey little world -is utterly heartbreaking. A must-see.

I don't profess to have seen many shorts but I really love this one, I've read a few interpretations, none I fully agreed with because it's such an enigmatic little film, but it does have different layers to it. 

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 3442
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 4:43:01 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I love TSWLM, 3 is way too low. I prefer Ice Age to Kung Fu Panda but both are great fun if little else. And I actually like Ice Age 2.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 3443
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 6:15:15 PM   
jamesbondguy

We go from Serge Daney and debates on the nature of reality in film-making to talking about Kung Fu Panda and Ice Age?!

Both films are turds, by the way. Although Kung Fu Panda did have some nice animation. But still, they both so disposable I can barely be bothered to write about them.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 3444
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 6:20:47 PM   
elab49

Nice disdain. Some of us quite enjoy the odd disposable film.

quote:

Post #: 3445
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 6:24:48 PM   
Piles

quote:

Piles have you been YouTubing?

Not with the last update, actually. I own those five on DVD. But in my last update I put "Cluny Brown" and "Monte Carlo" up, both of which I saw on YouTube. I was about to go on it to watch a couple DW Griffiths films, as that was spoken to a page or so back. It's a wonderful thing, this YouTube, although it will never catch on...

I'm also reeeeally considering splashing out on "Histoire du Cinema" based on JBG's high recommendation. At only £16.48 on amazon, it's a serious consideration...

Also, I'm gonna watch soome Truffaut tonight, so I need some help with selection. I have the following unseen Truffaut on DVD...

The Bride Wore Black
Stolen Kisses
Mississippi Mermaid
The Wild Child
The Story of Adele H
The Man Who Loved Women

What do we think?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 3446
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 6:25:55 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

So do I, but dull and disposable are a bad combination.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3447
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 6:28:03 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I'm also reeeeally considering splashing out on "Histoire du Cinema" based on JBG's high recommendation. At only £16.48 on amazon, it's a serious consideration...

Do it. Don't ever consider it. Just do it.

quote:

Also, I'm gonna watch soome Truffaut tonight, so I need some help with selection. I have the following unseen Truffaut on DVD...
The Bride Wore Black
Stolen Kisses
Mississippi Mermaid
The Wild Child
The Story of Adele H
The Man Who Loved Women

What do we think?

Go for Stolen Kisses. I know you like The 400 Blows, so it's certainly worth a shot. Can't beat Jean-Pierre Leaud, really.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 3448
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 7:35:47 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

So do I, but dull and disposable are a bad combination.

Agreed. That said, I did rouse myself to post a review of Une femme mariee instead of just dismissing as not worth the bother

quote:

Post #: 3449
RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 - 16/6/2009 8:23:44 PM   
jamesbondguy

Like it or not, Une Femme Mariee is probably worth writing about. I say probably because I still haven't seen it. I don't think you can really say the same about Kung Fu Panda or Ice Age. To go back to Godard, he said it was always hard to think of anything to say about a certain kind of British film- in the same way, it's hard to think of anything to say about a certain kind of CGI animated film. PA's claim of Panda somehow saving Dreamwork's animator output isn't the first time I've heard something like that said. I thought it was the opposite- it just shows the huge grap in skill and quality between them and Pixar. And I'm hardly Pixar's biggest fan.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3450
Page:   <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Wathced This Year: 2009 Page: <<   < prev  113 114 [115] 116 117   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI