Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Watchmen Caught In Legal Confusion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Watchmen Caught In Legal Confusion Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Watchmen Caught In Legal Confusion - 29/12/2008 10:57:31 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Curse you Fox! - 29/12/2008 10:57:31 AM   
The Comedian

First firefly, crap simpsons and now you pull this shit. Fucking wankers.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Rest of the World? - 29/12/2008 11:01:53 AM   
danbo1138

jUST RELEASE ROUND THE WORLD AND ONLINE IN AMERICA,STUFF FOX,EVERYONES WAITING FOR THE SPECIAL EDITION DVD/BLURAY WITH THE EXTENDED CUT ANYWAY.

Post #: 3
So the film's been in production for about 2 years... - 29/12/2008 11:13:43 AM   
Kmadden2004

...and Fox wait until now to claim a copyright interest?

It's all a bit pathetic really, isn't it?

Post #: 4
Bit early now is it? - 29/12/2008 12:39:44 PM   
dgribble

Man Fox must have some dumbass executives, first they cancel Futurama, then they cancel Family Guy (more than once, and after its been re-commisioned), then they release Alien VS Predator Requiem...NOW they've decided to start this crap, 3 months before Watchmen's meant to be released...arseholes!

Post #: 5
"THAT'S RATHER A PERSONAL QUESTION, SIR..." - 29/12/2008 12:58:52 PM   
Mopictures

The only question now is...HOW LONG IS IT?

If Fox decide to further cut down Watchmen, we may lose something very special. Not that I'm a mental Watchmen fanatic (Just an honest to godness fan of the book) but this film could be the first superhero film that treats itself like a Scorcese, not a franchise attention-seeker.

At the end of the day, since The Dark Knight, Warner Bros. is less likely to cut the shit of Watchmen. Fox has a bad record with this and we don't want a Live Free Or Die Hard neutering (Even though that film was strong enough to survive to the awesome "correct" DVD edition too!) with all the "think" moments taken out and the "freaks up front."

Believe me, I'm not an elitist, but the only person who should decide how long Watchemn is and what is in it, is the director.

Post #: 6
It's just a business folks......... - 29/12/2008 1:46:04 PM   
boredbluekoala

And with our worldwide super-suck economy at the mo, I guess every penny counts. Can't believe Warner Bros legal dept gave the go ahead on this pic if there were even a whiff of a rights issue that might hold back the movie. It's a quick fix actually, Fox should pony up some cash for billboards and posters, y'know the whole advertising thing, which costs like millions, and Warners could relinquish foriegn distribution rights which often amount to 50% of the final gross. Everybody wins, the fans get the movie on time, Fox shares some of the risk and Warners still gets to release domestically with their name on the poster, which would allow them to save a bit of rep. Don't think it's gonna be that simple do you? I'm sure that these huge companies, instead of making a movie and some money would far rather spend all their time and any profit that might be made, in endless legal battles. ( Bunch of bitchy little girls if you ask me)

Post #: 7
- 29/12/2008 1:49:16 PM   
Filmfan 2

Jesus, I really hope this gets cleared up so that everything can go ahead for the March 6 release.

Post #: 8
THIS IS AN APRIL FOOL JOKE? RIGHT.....?....... RIGHT?..... - 29/12/2008 2:17:43 PM   
ROTGUT

Isn't that just blinking typical! Now it seems the film will more than likely end up sitting on the shelf while the courts sort it all out - GOD FORBID! How long did it take before all that Spiderman kerfuffle was finally settled? 3 - 4 four years? James Cameron could have made 2 Spiderman films in that time! If Watchmen was being directed by Brett Ratner - none of this would be happening!

Post #: 9
Bite your tongue! - 29/12/2008 2:45:16 PM   
captainamazing

ROTGUT - I'm not a great fan of Watchman (not read it just because I haven't got around to it, no ill feelings), but would you really want Bret Ratner directing it for any reason?? You're sick...

Post #: 10
RE: BITE YOUR TONGUE - 29/12/2008 3:00:03 PM   
ROTGUT

Not sick ........... cynical.......
- if Brett Ratner was directing Watchmen - none of this court business would be happening because no one would go and see the film! Zack Synder seems to have some genuine talent - whereas Ratner - on the other hand -is a bit of a hack.

Post #: 11
If the film looked to be average then none of this woul... - 29/12/2008 4:40:41 PM   
Taz69

But it doesn't, going by the trailers and what I've seen of the production diaries this will be a definite five starrer, the best comic book movie ever, and Zack Snyder to be THE MAN in movies. He'd be the Michael Mann of the blockbusting variety. Both are visually astute, superb framing and story constructors, and with the aim to entertain. Mann going high brow-cool route and Zack the high concept, bombastic cool route.
And, of course Fox won at the federal court, Fox is of course close to the Bush administartion (or is that playgroup) and they own the judges.

Post #: 12
Fox are arseholes. - 29/12/2008 7:38:51 PM   
darko18

Yes, Warner Bros. shouldn't have made the film when Fox had the rights to it - but they had the rights for 20 years and did fuck all. If someone steals your bacon, you have the right to take it back. But if someone takes the bacon you haven't used for ages, makes a nice sandwich out of it, puts on some sauce, sits in their favourite chair, and *then* the person who legally owns the bacon jumps out and says "that's MINE!" then, well, that person is a greedy, scheming, money-grabbing dick.

Post #: 13
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 29/12/2008 8:41:19 PM   
Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: darko18

Yes, Warner Bros. shouldn't have made the film when Fox had the rights to it - but they had the rights for 20 years and did fuck all. If someone steals your bacon, you have the right to take it back. But if someone takes the bacon you haven't used for ages, makes a nice sandwich out of it, puts on some sauce, sits in their favourite chair, and *then* the person who legally owns the bacon jumps out and says "that's MINE!" then, well, that person is a greedy, scheming, money-grabbing dick.

And thats the reason for waiting until the sandwich were done before calling them lawyers out.
If the fryingpan were'nt even heated WB would only say "ups sorry". But now Fox can have a wall done sandwich without lifting a finger.

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 14
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 29/12/2008 9:15:25 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: darko18

And thats the reason for waiting until the sandwich were done before calling them lawyers out.
If the fryingpan were'nt even heated WB would only say "ups sorry". But now Fox can have a wall done sandwich without lifting a finger.

Great! Now i'm hungry and angry.

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 15
RE: BITE YOUR TONGUE - 29/12/2008 9:34:16 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROTGUT

If Brett Ratner was directing Watchmen - none of this court business would be happening because no one would go and see the film! Zack Synder seems to have some genuine talent - whereas Ratner - on the other hand -is a bit of a hack.

What are you talking about?

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 16
RE: BITE YOUR TONGUE - 29/12/2008 10:29:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

Maybe Fox will now actually make some money in 2009!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 17
Am I outta line? - 29/12/2008 10:40:37 PM   
robgordon23

Is it wrong for me want to shoot up a couple of boardrooms over hearing this? For god's sake...we just want to see the movie. How many of us really care which company gets the profits? I know it's not going to get a pool in my back yard. This is the movie I'm looking forward to this year and I think everyone will be FURIOUS if this gets pushed back over some stupid CEO squabble.

Post #: 18
tsk tsk tsk - 30/12/2008 12:45:18 AM   
coolieling

Good day for Fox studios...bad day for movie fans everywhere...what a travesty this turned out to be! Let's hope some studio exec realizes that there's more to movies than the bottom line.

Post #: 19
Only one way to fix this mess: Honey, go get my checkbo... - 30/12/2008 5:11:21 AM   
chewynewyork

I want to assume that the movie studios want to release this to everyone's joy. I really do. I want the question not to be "if", but "how much." I think the fans should rest assured. I think as long as the parties involved feel like they are getting a "fair share" of their cut in this, they will roll with it. Rejoice, movie-goers! A whole mess of people will be getting rich off this project...and you won't be one of them!!! lol

Post #: 20
Darn it! - 30/12/2008 6:06:59 AM   
geodude1990

This better not push back the release date because I was looking forward to how good this film was going to be.

Post #: 21
RE: Darn it! - 30/12/2008 9:13:18 AM   
BatFan

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51577

Fox want to delay the release of Watchmen.

Great.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to geodude1990)
Post #: 22
RE: Darn it! - 30/12/2008 9:30:43 AM   
Ghidorah

If Fox had their way, Watchmen would have a 90 minute time slot.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 23
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 10:55:21 AM   
Pigeon Army

Fox are idiots. The Hollywood Reporter made a good point in that they stand to make more money from a settlement than an injunction blocking the film's release, so either they think Joss Whedon's involved or they're arseholes. Possibly both.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 24
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 11:05:48 AM   
Rgirvan44

Fox are within their rights to do this - the fault is with Warners and the producers not crossing every t before the film went into production.

But its just something else that is giving the company bad publicity - there wouldn't be nearly the same outcry if Fox hadn't screwed over every franchise it had and was led by Rothman who seems like he would rather be a director (the stories from the Wolverine set suggest the usual tensions) than a studio head.

I would be amazed if Fox has the same people in place by the end of 2009 - Murdoch may want them to stay for the release of Avatar, which is far from a guarenenteed hit, before ejecting them. But I think Rothman and crew will be gone before the summer season. The internet reaction to this case may be directed at the wrong people, but it is just another example of how low the company has sunk in the eyes of people.

I would be amazed if this film didn't come out on the set date - Fox screwing over another studio like that would not be good politics. And lets be honest - they need the money.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 25
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 11:56:52 AM   
The Hooded Man

Fox are well within their rights to pursue this action. Put the blame at Warners for trying to pull a fast one.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 12:44:43 PM   
KeithM

Fuck blame.  I don't care which of them is at fault.  Whoever screws with us watching it is who we WILL blame however, whatever the legal 'rights and wrongs' (which as we well know, often bears no relation to moral right and wrong).

Greedy, petty arseholes, the lot of them.  Movies would be much better without studios, frankly.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 27
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 1:42:12 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

Fuck blame.  I don't care which of them is at fault.  Whoever screws with us watching it is who we WILL blame however, whatever the legal 'rights and wrongs' (which as we well know, often bears no relation to moral right and wrong).

Greedy, petty arseholes, the lot of them.  Movies would be much better without studios, frankly.

Drunk again, KeithM?

I want to see the movie as much as anyone but Fox did issue cease and desist notices well in advance of the film even having a release date. You can't flout the law and then moan when there are consequences.

As for greed.... of course they are. Movie studios are not a charity. All corporations are legally obliged to do the best for their shareholders and Fox are no different.

Let's say you owned the rights to Watchmen and someone else made it and despite your cease and desist notices were going to make hundreds of millions of dollars on it and you wouldn't see a penny of it, would you say "well, as long as the release date isn't affected, I'm happy to lose all of my money"?

Of course you wouldn't.

And whoever made that analogy about the bacon needs to get real. You would have a point if you were just talking about bacon but in reality, the 'bacon' is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Also, if it's your 'bacon' what business is it of anyone else's what you do with it? You want to leave it for 20 years uneaten? That's your right and privilege.

Man, I'm hungry!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 28
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 2:16:49 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Movies would be much better without studios, frankly.

Who would finance the movies then?

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 29
RE: Fox are arseholes. - 30/12/2008 2:20:19 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Movies would be much better without studios, frankly.

Who would finance the movies then?

The magical movie pixies that live in KeithM's brain!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Watchmen Caught In Legal Confusion Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI