Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scrooged - 27/12/2008 6:44:59 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 27/12/2008 6:44:59 PM   
PureAinmhi

Good film to start off the Christmas celebrations. Definitely not Murray's best by a long shot. Decent enough remake of the Dicken's classic but I think it lacks Jim Henson's puppets. Some cheap laughs here and there especially with the opening scene of Santa and his elves exchanging gunfire with enemies.

Dialogue at times is pretty weak and at the end, extremely over the top.

Worth a watch.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 27/12/2008 6:56:17 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

My favourite Christmas movie, and it's no surprise why!

Very funny when it needs to be, with superbly witty dialogue... and not without it's sweet moralising centre... and with excellent turns from Murray, Allen, Goldthwait, Glover, Forsythe and Mitchum... just solid Christmas gold!

5/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to PureAinmhi)
Post #: 3
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:06:09 PM   
Kazuya

Saw this again the other day on the TV, it definitely wasn't as good as I remember. Several awkward and mannered moments, strange lead performance from Murray and zero emotion. And God, do I fucking hate Bobcat Goldthwait.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 4
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:11:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya
And God, do I fucking hate Bobcat Goldthwait.

Woah woah!

I shall say good day to you Sir.

Love this movie to death! Classic 80s comedy and always makes me feel good.

Caught it on Christmas Day and glad I did.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 5
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:19:00 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

and zero emotion.

As the one movie to almost make me well up recently, I'll have to disagree there

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 6
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:19:51 PM   
Starscream

Love this as well along with National Lampoons ChristmasVacation. Both are Films which I must watch every Christmas

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 7
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:20:36 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

And God, do I fucking hate Bobcat Goldthwait.

Woah woah!

I shall say good day to you Sir.

Love this movie to death! Classic 80s comedy and always makes me feel good.

Caught it on Christmas Day and glad I did.

Aww, take it easy, we're still friends, right?

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 8
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:21:26 PM   
punchdrunk

Even though it was the censored version it was still great, my head filled in the blanks. It's almost a shame that he becomes nice at the end albiet at gunpoint.

Bobcat is great as is the Ghost of Christmas Present psychotic fairy of groin kicking pain and blowing belly rasberries.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 9
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:22:07 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

and zero emotion.

As the one movie to almost make me well up recently, I'll have to disagree there

Well, you know what they say, different strokes...

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 10
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:24:41 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

Love this as well along with National Lampoons ChristmasVacation. Both are Films which I must watch every Christmas

Definitely agree with Christmas Vacation, extremely funny.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 11
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:27:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

You're that rare person who likes James Cameron's Titanic, of course we're good.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 12
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:28:23 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

and zero emotion.

Well, you know what they say, different strokes...

...was an overrated tv show?

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 13
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:29:11 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

You're that rare person who likes James Cameron's Titanic, of course we're good.

C'mere you! I do like Karen Allen in Scrooged, for the record. Good score too.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 14
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:42:52 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

quote:

This was the first time I realised she was smoking a joint in the bath on the christmas day flash back/visit to the past. Seeing her bark like a dog is pretty hot in a bizzare kind of way.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 15
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 5:50:27 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

quote:

quote:

quote:

This was the first time I realised she was smoking a joint in the bath on the christmas day flash back/visit to the past. Seeing her bark like a dog is pretty hot in a bizzare kind of way.

Yeah me too, probably a good thing we didn't catch that when we were kids, huh?

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 16
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 8:23:41 PM   
punchdrunk

Couldn't have done more damage to us...

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 17
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 10:15:53 PM   
hatebox

It's got quite an effectively ominous atmospehre to it, but overall it's a wasted opportunity.

The main problem, as with so many of these kind of stories, is that Murray's eventual transformation isn't really believable and goes too far.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 18
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 10:16:29 PM   
hatebox

It's got quite an effectively ominous atmospehre to it, but overall it's a wasted opportunity.

The main problem, as with so many of these kind of stories, is that Murray's eventual transformation isn't really believable and goes too far.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 19
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 10:20:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

Don't buy that.

It's a screwball comedy, you can't expect deep character studies.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 20
RE: Scrooged - 28/12/2008 10:42:37 PM   
punchdrunk

Scrape them off Tech, If you want to save someone... save yourself.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 21
RE: Scrooged - 29/12/2008 1:37:35 PM   
Geldart

Would you PLEASE, stop the god damn HAMMERING!!!!! (lol)

there is no "I" in T.e.a.m!

LOVE this fucking film.

Post #: 22
RE: Scrooged - 29/12/2008 5:26:50 PM   
hatebox

quote:

quote:

Don't buy that.

That'd be all well and good if the film thought of itself as nothing more than a 'screwball comedy', but in the last scene it clearly tries (and fails) to be something a little more profound because we have no reason to believe this guy would do such a quick 180. And if it was merely going for laughs it wasn't even that funny. But Murray is always watchable, I give it that.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 23
RE: Scrooged - 29/12/2008 6:55:48 PM   
HughesRoss

Coulld'nt agree more about Scrooged, my favourite Christmas movie of them all.  I reckon Karen Allen is hot in the movie (strange I know) 
Love National Lampoons as well and for some strange reason Christmas wont be the same without
Uncle Buck and The Great Outdoors.

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 24
RE: Scrooged - 29/12/2008 7:32:07 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't buy that.

That'd be all well and good if the film thought of itself as nothing more than a 'screwball comedy', but in the last scene it clearly tries (and fails) to be something a little more profound because we have no reason to believe this guy would do such a quick 180.

I think you're over-analysing a film that opens with Santa's grotto being atatcked by gun-toting baddies and Lee Majors showing up.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 25
RE: Scrooged - 31/12/2008 11:40:15 AM   
hatebox

Hmm... I think the problem is that I don't really buy into the whole "oh it's just a silly comedy therefore none of the characters in it have to make any emotional sense." I mean, tonally this film isn't much different to Groundhog Day (with the 'It's A Wonderfil Life' scenario) but clearly Groudhog Day is more effective because Phil's motivations are nurtured far more diligently.

The crux of the matter is that the last scene of the film wants us to engage with it emotionally. That's not me 'over-analysing' it, that's really just how I see it, plain and simple. Otherwise what's the point in it, becuase it isn't especially funny?

I don't want to make it sound like this is really a big deal to me. My initial statement concerning this film was a couple of off the cuff remarks.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 26
RE: Scrooged - 31/12/2008 6:33:18 PM   
rupert303

I love this movie. Specially the bit when he tells the prop guy to staple the antlers to the mouse...always thought that so mean (but the kind of schmucko attitude a TV exec would have)>

Bill Murray is a genius...all we need now is a Chevy Chase revival and my work here is done.

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 27
Wonderful, uplifting Christmas movie - 5/1/2009 9:39:55 AM   
Workshed

I used to love this film as a kid and caught it on Christmas day and it was every bit as good as I remember. It's verry witty, warming and uplifting and Bill Murray is on top form as the lovebale bastard. I love the whole exchange between him and his former boss, the ghost of x-mas present and the ghost of x-mas past. It's great example of the type of '80s screwball comedy that don't get made anymore.

Post #: 28
- 12/11/2011 9:08:45 AM   
bbX1138

Hilarious and touching film, with a sharp quotable script and packed full of great performances by old- and new-school actors. Dickens' super-happy ending works wonderfully here and balances the film.

Post #: 29
RE: - 12/12/2012 7:26:26 PM   
Phubbs

Scrooged (1988)

I can't believe this was made in 88! my god that's a long time ago and I remember when it came out haha!. We all know the plot here I should think, the classic Dickens tale revamped and 'modified' for the modern era...well the 80's.

Straight of the bat this is a classic film based around a classic tale. Like the 'Muppet Christmas Carol' its one of the best versions of Dickens fable around and really gets you in the Xmas spirit. I always loved the title for a start, such a simple idea yet really original in the way its been slightly tweaked.

I never knew that Danny Elfman did the musical score for this either, as I watched this again recently and the film started you hear this typical Elfman score, 'Batman Returns/Beetlejuice' type of thing. You know what I mean...that kind of spooky, gothic, halloween-ish tune accompanied by a young choir to give that crispy old English Xmas atmosphere. These days that typical Elfman score is a bit samey I'll admit but it always works.

The film is so so dated now but you gotta love that 80's look n feel right?. The old 'Gordon Gecko' style high flying business corporate world with its glossy offices, greasy suits and large plastic looking technology hehe. Murray is the perfect cast for this concept, the film was made for him (probably was) as he uses his dead pan, wry, dry stinging humour to really create a sleazy, immoral, disreputable, executive suit wearing Scrooge.

Of course he's not called Scrooge here, the whole film doesn't really mention or use any wording that refers to the old tale (well if you don't count the in-movie plot). This is merely a clever little recreation using the basic story but setting it in the business world. Whats really great is the effects and general visuals still hold up today, they aren't hugely over done effects but simply utilizing makeup and the odd bluescreen. The three main ghosts really add to the film with their performances. 'The Ghost of Christmas Past' (Johansen) easily being the best for me as a dirty, grumpy, pug ugly NY cab driver who shouts abuse at other road users, smokes, probably drinks and generally acts as if he's just sobering up.

'The Ghost of Christmas Present' (Kane) is close behind with her fantastic performance as a sort of bitchy, spoilt, pixie sized fairy with violent tendencies. Despite her delicate appearance in a kind of little girls halloween pink fairy costume complete with tiny wings and lots of sparkly glitter, she acts like a bully. The swing from softly spoken fairy to a swift kick in the balls is quite amusing if childish.

'The Ghost of Christmas Future' is a nice bit of visualisation and simple effects. A large 'man in a suit' approach with some puppet work and a TV screen for a face, to make him seem more modernised I guess. Didn't really see enough of this guy I reckon and he could of been a bit more creepy really, but the sequence where his large hooded face looms up behind 'Frank' across his multiple TV screens is brilliantly done. There he looked good.

The best ghost visually is probably 'Lew Hayward' who is 'Frank's' old boss who comes back to warn him of his pending situation. A great bit of makeup and prosthetic work which really does look real haha loved his snapping arm moment complete with plumes of dry dusty decomposition.

Alongside many other quirky characters there is Glover as 'Brice Cummings' who epitomises the image of an 80's office type and complete arse kissing suck up, love it!. You know he afters 'Frank's' job and that makes him such a good character.

The end to the film does get a bit too vomit inducing for me, never really liked how it all gets so mushy  and almost turns into a 'behind the scenes' piece. 'Frank' breaks the fourth wall in the end and it kinda spoils the film even though its a unique thing to do in a major movie. Up to the very end the film is really enjoyable and chock full of spine tingling atmosphere with great performances, its just a shame the finale goes off track...in my opinion.

'Yule love it!'

(in reply to bbX1138)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Scrooged Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI