Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Santa Brought Me...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Santa Brought Me... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 28/12/2011 1:45:10 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Doctor Who Monopoly, Pointless board game, Digital camera, pretty much the complete works of JD Salinger, a book about political rivalries, a Nigella cookbook, Halo Anniversary,The Guardpost, White christmas and the Peep Show boxset on DVD, Touch of Evil on Bluray, a couple of Jeremy Paxman books, socks, pants, hairspray, a nice shirt, a couple of ties, smelly stuff etc

I am so so jealous. What did you get? I was given strict instructions by my parents not to send them out for weird stuff (ie, stuff they had never heard of) but I would have loved if they bought me some Salinger. I currently own Catcher, For Esme and Raise High The Roofbeams and I want to get Franny and Zooey but the green cover edition to go with my others.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 211
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 28/12/2011 2:37:08 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

quote:

Doctor Who Monopoly, Pointless board game, Digital camera, pretty much the complete works of JD Salinger, a book about political rivalries, a Nigella cookbook, Halo Anniversary,The Guardpost, White christmas and the Peep Show boxset on DVD, Touch of Evil on Bluray, a couple of Jeremy Paxman books, socks, pants, hairspray, a nice shirt, a couple of ties, smelly stuff etc

I am so so jealous. What did you get? I was given strict instructions by my parents not to send them out for weird stuff (ie, stuff they had never heard of) but I would have loved if they bought me some Salinger. I currently own Catcher, For Esme and Raise High The Roofbeams and I want to get Franny and Zooey but the green cover edition to go with my others.

I got given Raise the Roof Beam/Seymour, the book of Nine short stories (which has For Esmé in it) and a new copy of Catcher in the Rye, because my copy was being lent out to my ex when we split (I should have known better, as that Beatles song says) so I may well never see my copy again, it was pretty battered and read anyway. My mum clearly knew how much I loved that book, so that's quite nice. I think I just need Franny and Zooey as well really now.

In an update to the original post, I also got some money, and I spent it on the sales yesterday on How To Be A Domestic Goddess, A Gene Kelly boxset, a proper CD copy of Let England Shake, Forza 4 and the Indiana Jones Soundtracks

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 212
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 28/12/2011 3:02:51 PM   
Olaf

I gotted a Kindle, Scrabble, some Dostoevsky novels, two books of short stories (F Scott Fitzgerald + a recent republishing of the junior cert short stories book), copy of Bob Dylan's Chronicles vol. 1 (read it before but never had a copy, so pleased with that), The Uncanny by Freud, Tree of Life dvd, couple of Jacques Brel albums, chocolate and a bit of cash. On a related note, Christmas dinner was SO AMAZING.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 213
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 28/12/2011 9:38:24 PM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

quote:

I got given Raise the Roof Beam/Seymour, the book of Nine short stories (which has For Esmé in it) and a new copy of Catcher in the Rye, because my copy was being lent out to my ex when we split (I should have known better, as that Beatles song says) so I may well never see my copy again, it was pretty battered and read anyway. My mum clearly knew how much I loved that book, so that's quite nice. I think I just need Franny and Zooey as well really now.

In an update to the original post, I also got some money, and I spent it on the sales yesterday on How To Be A Domestic Goddess, A Gene Kelly boxset, a proper CD copy of Let England Shake, Forza 4 and the Indiana Jones Soundtracks

I know there a bunch of shorts of Salingers that were published in The New Yorker but never re-published. I would kill for an edition of his New Yorker publications. Also when he died he had a house full of unpublished manuscripts apparently. Can you imagine all those stories unpublished?! I wonder if he wrote any more about the Glass'. That would be amazing. I love Salinger so so much.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 214
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 28/12/2011 9:42:56 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know there a bunch of shorts of Salingers that were published in The New Yorker but never re-published. I would kill for an edition of his New Yorker publications. Also when he died he had a house full of unpublished manuscripts apparently. Can you imagine all those stories unpublished?! I wonder if he wrote any more about the Glass'. That would be amazing. I love Salinger so so much.

I would presume that some canny publisher will get their hands of those manuscripts eventually, yeah, that'd be really exciting. He was a genius for sure, I used to read and reread Catcher obsessively, I can't wait to get into the short stories and stuff.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 215
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 11:07:19 AM   
Rgirvan44

I got....

Rome (Blu Ray)
The Univerisal Monsters Collection (BR)
Blade Runner: 30th Anniversay (BR)
Last of the Mohicans (BR)
Matrix Trilogy (BR)
Zombie Flesh Eaters (BR)
Cabin in the Woods (BR)
Godfather (BR)
The Raid (BR)
Revolution (BR)

Generation X-Box - book about the relationship between movies and games
The MASSIVE Kubrick Napoleon book.

Three shirts
New shoes
Three bottles of wine
Two bottles of whiskey
100 quid

And I am in Belgium so the holiday also totally counts!

Happy Christmas everyone!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 216
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 12:26:39 PM   
impqueen

White Fisherman’s Jumper
Black Jumper with Gold Skull Design
Orange DMs
Jack Daniels Fudge
Three Boxes of Chocolates – Lindt, Throntons and Ferrero Rocher

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 217
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 12:51:08 PM   
vad3r

Cashmere 2500 double bed with 600TC linen and new duvet/pillows
AKG K550 Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones
Shit load of TV DVDs and blu rays
Ralph Lauren V-necks and long sleeve polos
Levi's Jeans
Barbour jacket
Timberland shoes
Fudge hair paste

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 218
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 12:55:16 PM   
Rebel scum

-2 Lego Lord of the Rings sets
-The Cabin in the Woods
-1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
-Skittles!
-A bunch of vouchers
-Some bookmarks
-Pocket Pint
-Assorted random stuff

Not a bad haul.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 219
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 1:00:39 PM   
Hood_Man

Pyjamas, socks, dressing gown, smellies, Olympics Blu Ray, QI Board Game.

Oh, and a Kindle

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 220
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 1:02:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

So far vouchers and alcohol.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 221
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 1:11:38 PM   
Pigeon Army

I got a new File Folder, some lollies, a magnet that doubles as an address book, a $25 bookstore voucher, and Seasons One and Two of The Tudors on DVD.

It was a subdued Chrimbus.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 222
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 1:30:17 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

-1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

That book is awesome. There's a few dubious entries in both the editions I have, but everything pre-90 or thereabouts is solid. It's pretty much my movie bible.

For Christmas, apart from a bout of sickness that is still raging right now I got a new bed, the Dark Knight trilogy boxset, a new T-shirt and that's about it for now. There's still a lot of relatives I haven't received gifts from yet but I'm not fussed.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 223
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 1:53:11 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Unfortunately, Kristen Wiig didn't come around to the house to boff me senseless this Christmas. But I'm holding out hope for next year's...

Still no luck in this department, but I did get, among other things, The Thick of It complete boxset, The Dark Knight Rises and a calendar featuring my beloved Kelly Brook. I also got a t-shirt with 37? on it. It took me a while to get the reference. (it's from Clerks)

Still, no sexy time with Kristen Wiig. : (

Merry Christmas, bitches.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 25/12/2012 2:05:38 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 224
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 6:20:42 PM   
Sway

- Top Gear dvd
- James May t-shirt with 'Oh cock' written across it.
- Green toy soldier bookends.
- A book on tanks
- PJs/socks/tights/slippers
- Vouchers for Boots, Next, & the hairdressers
- Make up & perfume
- Money

Been pretty spoiled - all the vouchers and money add up to a shitload, so I feel really guilty.

Family had bit of bad luck on the dvd front this year. My oldest brother who has lived out the country for years, didn't know what to get me so bought me Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Which is awesome and totally appreciated, but I've had BoB for years, and I didn't rate The Pacific. My middle brother bought me Ice Age 4, which I happened to buy myself just last week, and The Dark Knight Rises - which I thought was pretty tedious and wasn't planning on watching ever again.

Still, I hadn't asked for any dvds this year, so I appreciate they got me them, they didn't need to get me anything at all.

< Message edited by Sway -- 25/12/2012 6:21:28 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 225
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 6:37:11 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Needless to say I'm both chuffed and slightly overwhelmed.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 5/1/2013 2:32:09 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 226
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 25/12/2012 9:08:52 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Cashmere 2500 double bed with 600TC linen and new duvet/pillows
AKG K550 Closed-Back Reference Class Headphones
Shit load of TV DVDs and blu rays
Ralph Lauren V-necks and long sleeve polos
Levi's Jeans
Barbour jacket
Timberland shoes
Fudge hair paste

Very fackin nooooice, I imagine you might be able to craft all this into something that means you might lose that virginity of yours. Seriously though, that bed looks amazing.

This year I got a navy blue shirt which I was going to buy from a cheapo place but moms got me the real deal with a nice pattern on. Maybe I might buy a blazer too but I need to think about it. I also got a dark green/black patterned jumper with a tiger or a leopard on the front and some Savile Row spray which ive not yet opened. Ive been indulging in a bottle of Cap'n Morgans since last night, nearly finished so im happy enough really.

I could have done with some reading material, but I told the rents to leave that and ill get it when I need them. Merry xmas everyone. Enjoy the jollies. Ive read on certain threads people arent having the best of times, but chin up, look ahead and keep going All the best for new years (Inlcuding you vad3r, with that cheeky cheeky bed).

aw yea, forgot another box of ben sherman socks lol

< Message edited by kumar -- 25/12/2012 9:09:48 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 227
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 26/12/2012 3:59:24 PM   
darthbane

The Dark Knight Rises Steelbook Blu-Ray
Prometheus 3D Blu-Ray
The Raid Blu-Ray
E.T. Blu-Ray
A Batman Belt
Smellies
Chocies
Wine

I'm a happy boy

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 228
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 26/12/2012 4:26:14 PM   
sanchia

A Tassimo coffee machine and accoutrements (I am presently wired on coffee and about to try a latte).

A leather jacket (similar to the biker jacket in Captain America).

Gotham Central - Books 1-4.

Criminal Deluxe Graphic novel.

The Raid Blu Ray.
Dune Blu Ray
The Frighteners Blu Ray
The Untouchables Blu Ray
and a few more which slip my mind at the moment.

A Kelvin Multi Tool.

A few more things.

Oh and Kristen Wiig came round and boffed me senseless.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 26/12/2012 4:29:40 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 229
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 26/12/2012 4:51:55 PM   
steffols

A video camera
Elizabeth Arden Red Door perfume - I always remember this perfume being on my Grandmas dressing table with a perfume spritzer and I thought it was the height of fancy. It looked so elegant and ladylike! I was in awe when I opened this. I am now fancy!
Brave DVD
Tardis mug!
A Sgt Pepper peppermill :D
Oor Wullie annual (as per childhood tradition)
A cardigan
Handbag
Pyjamas
Slippers
Olympics DVD

A good haul!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 230
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 26/12/2012 5:16:07 PM   
indysgill

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 231
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 26/12/2012 7:35:40 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Hitman Absolution
Homeland Season 1
The Simpsons Season 15
Led Zeppelin Legendary Performances
The Amazing Spider-Man
From the Ground Up: U2 Photobook
007 aftershave
Pyjamas
Homer Simpson slippers
Next T-Shirt
FCUK/Lynx Body Lotion

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 232
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 29/12/2012 12:30:37 PM   
JessFranco

Lots of books. Alberto Moravia's Contempt, Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky's Letter Killers Club, Hannah Berry's Adamtine and The M To M Of M/M Paris. The Early Works of Peter Greenaway and Ilya Khrzhanovsky's 4 on DVD. A toaster oven from my parents and a load of amazing stuff from my girlfriend including a whisky tasting class.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 233
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 29/12/2012 12:38:47 PM   
Hood_Man

As of last night, a Jedi bath robe and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy & Hobbit soundtracks

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 234
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 29/12/2012 3:08:33 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

As of last night, a Jedi bath robe and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy & Hobbit soundtracks

Great items all! Whoever got them for you has good taste. If you asked or them you have good taste also

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 235
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 30/12/2012 3:24:42 PM   
JV

Not the most exciting haul for me. Due to my precarious job situation I asked for money or gift vouchers this year, plus I didn't really want anything specific. So I got £120 in cash and £80 in Marks & Spencer vouchers (cos I really need clothes... or maybe I could just run riot in their food hall!). My family give each other stockings so I got a whole heap of daft/useful/nice things too, and my sister gave us Scattergories.

Anyway due to work disaster being (hopefully) avoided, I spent a large chunk of my Christmas money going with my husband yesterday to see The Hobbit in IMAX 3D followed by a mulled wine in Nottingham's Old Market Square followed by a meal at an Indian restaurant we'd been recommended. Due to my new job paying a lot less than my old one we have to batten down the hatches so it's probably our last big treat for a while, although my husband is saving his Christmas money to take us out for a meal at our favourite pub in a few weeks' time. Money well spent, in my opinion!

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 236
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 30/12/2012 3:31:48 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Great items all! Whoever got them for you has good taste. If you asked or them you have good taste also

A little bit of A and a little bit of B I asked for the soundtracks, but the robe was a very nice surprise. And SO WARM!

Post #: 237
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 30/12/2012 8:34:25 PM   
Mister Coe

A Really nice Epson printer / scanner.

'Inside Game Of Thrones'... a nice, lavish book.

New / recent albums by Muse, Marillion and Madness... three of my favourite bands!

TED on DVD... the funniest film I've seen in years...

Arnie's autobiography, TOTAL RECALL...

Various American chocolate bars... God I love Butterfingers!

A couple of really nice shirts...

A litle bottle of Jack Daniels!

A ticket to WAR HORSE at the Salford Lowry next November.

And the usual Lynx gift package / Terrys Chocolate Orange / joke gifts that it wouldn't be Christmas without...

I'm happy with that little haul....

Say what now?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 238
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 31/12/2012 5:51:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

A little bit of A and a little bit of B I asked for the soundtracks, but the robe was a very nice surprise. And SO WARM!

I got one last year, it's really cosy. I love it!

Much more better!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 239
RE: Santa Brought Me... - 3/1/2013 1:46:56 PM   
AxlReznor

This/last year, Santa brought me...

The Dark Knight Trilogy BluRay Box Set
Assassin's Creed 3 - Join Or Die Edition (Xbox 360)
Dishonored Special Edition (Xbox 360)
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving
Apocalypse Now Collection BluRay
Jurassic Park Trilogy BluRay Box Set
Batman: The Black Mirror Hardcover
1001 Videogames You Must Play Before You Die
A weird looking CD rack that cost £1 on eBay

And... £1,000 cash

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Santa Brought Me... Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI