PHEW!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> PHEW! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PHEW! - 29/12/2008 12:59:12 PM   
VPchild

Thank god for that, I really did not have high hopes for Dawntreader!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Disney Bails On Third Narnia Film - 29/12/2008 8:27:12 PM   
Crinblanca

Too bad!!

Prince Caspain was one of the very few great film of 2008, and probably the one good live-action-Disney films of these days...
I really liked it.
Both Disney Narnia films were absolutely great.

Now I am worried about the third film.
Though, the book is fantastic by the way.

"Hey! do you love me, Im untouchable darkness!"

(in reply to Jayseph)
Post #: 32
RE: Disney Bails On Third Narnia Film - 29/12/2008 9:32:21 PM   
Sphinx

It's to be expected, how many books are there, five? It's all about the box office people, I think a lot of series/trilogies are gonna end up this way - it shouldn't be allowed, it's like publishing an unfinished book!!

The Golden Compass for example being a dead duck is also a pity

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Jayseph)
Post #: 33
RE: Disney Bails On Third Narnia Film - 1/1/2009 1:31:55 AM   
freekedoutfish

What about the Harry Potter books and films?

Those started out pretty bad and started off just riding the excitement of the books and were very childish to begin with. But they progressively got better and the last one was really good. The actors have grown up and learnt how to act, the special effects obviously pay off, everyone is just sure of their characters and parts in the story and the maturity of the films have improved.

Those started out very childish and almost hard to swallow, but have gotten darker and darker, more mature which has added a realm of realism to them and have there for got much better to watch.

There is absolutely no reason why the same thing cant work with the Narnia books.

Caspian (whether it was close to the book or not, as I havent read them) was a step in the right direction with its maturity and there is no reason why it cant continue to improve. I have to admit I dont really know anything about the Narnia books or how many there are, but I would be willing to go see them all at the cinema (even at 26) if they continued in the direction Caspian was going.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 34
RE: Disney Bails On Third Narnia Film - 1/1/2009 1:40:57 AM   
freekedoutfish

I meant to also add this bit (cant find the edit button), about the Golden Compass!

That film was a complete distaster purely because of how it was directed and cut. I have never read the GC books, and I was completely lost and annoyed during most of the film as a result. They jumped between so many storylines or points in the film without any explanation of how they reached that point, that it was frustrating.

A perfect example of this is the bit where the young girl is at the dock and  starts talking to the cowboy. The cowboy for absolutely NO reason tells the girl to go look for the pola bear because she is on an adventure. From what I remember, the girl at NO point mentions being on an adventure or needing an armored pola bear to help.

There is other bits where the girl and the pola bear seem to develop this deep, emotional attachment to one another, to the point where he lets her ride him into the deep snow. When did that happen in the film? It didnt! The rushed through that entire thing, and one minute the bear hates the girl and the next they are close friends.

You also have the rushed bit where the women tells her that she is her mother! Absolutely no build up, or story point to reach such an important moment what so ever. She just blurts it out near the end and thats it. That is one aspect where some deap, emotional acting is required. It was handled better in Star Wars!!!

Thats why the GC compass film sucked to high heaven.

Caspian on the other hand (whether it was close to the book I dont know) was well structured and well cut and made perfect sense from point A-B-C-D-onwards! It had good character development, emotional development and you actually know what was going on, why it was happening and you had somewhat of an attachment to the characters.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 35
RE: Disney Bails On Third Narnia Film - 1/1/2009 8:03:58 AM   
horatio hornblower

i think like most other teen fantasy book adaptations in recent memory the movies were rushed and ill conceived in nature trying to get the harry potter or lord of the rings audiences money
this was Disney's almost cynical response to that trend and come across as such
if they were serious and wanted to build a franchise then they should have hired a good director and put in extra effort to ensure the films were made to last

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

(in reply to freekedoutfish)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> PHEW! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI