Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Jaws

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Jaws Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Jaws - 9/10/2009 7:59:38 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Love the video Daz 

For anyone interested in The Shark Is Still Working, tickets are now on sale.
It promises to be a great night

http://www.theunitedfest.com/london/

Nice one jonson! I'll have to try and snare a couple of tickets - I still haven't seen this documentary.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 91
RE: Jaws - 9/10/2009 6:34:20 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Love the video Daz 

For anyone interested in The Shark Is Still Working, tickets are now on sale.
It promises to be a great night

http://www.theunitedfest.com/london/

Man, I can't believe it's nearly 7 years since I was actually IN that tank!

I thought they were releasing The Shark Is Still Working on DVD?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 92
RE: Jaws - 9/10/2009 9:59:22 PM   
Quint

Gotta love it!

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 93
RE: Jaws - 9/10/2009 10:23:07 PM   
krudler

Took this in "Amity Island" in Universal Studios Orlando last year, the Jaws ride is tame but awesome at the same time

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 94
RE: Jaws - 14/10/2009 2:59:24 PM   
beezo

Hi,
Noob here hello everyone.

Loved reading this thread for me Jaws is my favorite film, in my eyes nothing comes close. From the opening credits to every single bit of dialogue that's already been mentioned here. just superb.

I did the Jaws exhibition in Liverpool when it was on, didnt take any pictures though which i regret now. I remember getting the Jaws games "the shark with snap up mouth and you had to take items out before it snapped shut" I dont even think id seen the film at this point but with the hysteria around Jaws i certainly knew about it. I remember the Buzz at the time around where I lived was all about Ben Gardners head popping out of his boat, it must have been a great feeling for Speilberg and the producers to hear people discussing it the way they did.

I took a number of stills of Jaws the ride in Orlando for anyone that hasnt seen it, its one of the busiest pages on my website 

The only thing missing is the bluray edition, i wish universal would get there heads together and make this a reality.

Cheers
Paul

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 95
RE: Jaws - 22/10/2009 3:22:05 AM   
Ezzieblue

I remember that after watching this, I was afraid to go to the beach. My timing was horrible because it was during a blistering summer and the pools were always crowded. It really sucked but this movie was great to watch. A classic in my opinion, and a long one at that.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 96
RE: Jaws - 22/10/2009 10:28:49 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: beezo

The only thing missing is the bluray edition, i wish universal would get there heads together and make this a reality.

Just a matter of time, along with Spielberg's other classics i.e. Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park...

(in reply to beezo)
Post #: 97
RE: Jaws - 20/12/2009 7:50:50 PM   
Sutty

still one of the greatest movies ever, ever , ever.

I hope they do what they did with An American Werewolf in London and bring it out on Blu Ray with the Shark is Still Working Doc and the other 2 hour doc on there too. Would be a must buy!!

"I'LL FIND HIM FOR 3. BUT I'LL CATCH HIM, AND KILL HIM... FOR 10."

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 98
RE: Jaws - 20/12/2009 10:38:00 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: beezo

Just a matter of time, along with Spielberg's other classics i.e. Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park...

It's started showing on Sky player, so I imagine an HD version isn't too far off.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 99
RE: Jaws - 20/12/2009 10:39:44 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm watching Jaws just now. Ted Grossman is about to buy it!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 100
RE: Jaws - 20/12/2009 10:57:37 PM   
DazDaMan

I do believe they'll need a bigger boat!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 101
Bruce lives! Well, kinda... - 4/6/2010 3:01:44 PM   
sharkboy

Fellow Jaws fans, there's a heartwarming tale of reunion to be found over at npr: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127370664

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 102
RE: Bruce lives! Well, kinda... - 6/6/2010 10:56:01 PM   
DazDaMan

Great article. Pity that the only remaining example of the shark is wasting away in the middle of a junkyard, though....

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 103
RE: Bruce lives! Well, kinda... - 7/6/2010 1:17:04 PM   
sharkboy

I agree.  You'd think that such an iconic piece of movie history would have been snapped up by Universal - it would be great to see it on display at the Jaws ride in Orlando!  But given the fact that the industry seemed happy to sit back and let the Hollywood sign itself fall into rack and ruin, I wouldn't hold much hope out for the last of the Bruces

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 104
RE: Bruce lives! Well, kinda... - 7/6/2010 1:50:54 PM   
DazDaMan

It WAS on display for some years at one of the parks, though (I forget if the article mentioned that).

All the remaining sharks from the sequels pretty much used the same body moulds - only the heads were changed to differentiate them.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 105
JAWS - 21/6/2010 7:30:04 AM   
Snake-Eyes

JAWS is 35!!!!

AICN have a load of cool behind-the-scenes pics -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45511

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 106
RE: JAWS - 21/6/2010 7:51:28 AM   
DazDaMan

Wow, I've never seen some of those before!!

Guess what I'll be watching tonight....!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 107
RE: JAWS - 21/6/2010 7:53:12 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Wow, I've never seen some of those before!!

Guess what I'll be watching tonight....!

I'm due a viewing also! Another thing I love about JAWS is that it's the same age as me. But I hit 35 in October. Any news on the blu-ray?

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 108
RE: JAWS - 21/6/2010 5:40:25 PM   
evil bill

Time i posted my review of this classic on it's own thread;

During the height of beach season, the Massachusetts resort town of Amity Island is terrorized one summer by surprise attacks from a great white shark. Three unlikely partners team up to hunt down the rogue and destroy it: the new chief of police from New York (Roy Scheider), a young university-educated oceanographer (Richard Dreyfuss), and a crusty old-time fisherman (Robert Shaw).

From the best-selling novel by Peter Benchley,Jaws, Steven Spielberg directed this thrill ride of terror.Jaws was very popular when released, it was the highest grossing film of 1975. It spawned three sequels, which were all inferior. In fact, no film about Sharks or any killer fish has been able to come close to the level of Jaws. The film shoot was notoriously difficult for the young Spielberg, who had directed only one other feature film Duel. The mechanical shark seldom operated correctly, and Spielberg was frequently forced to create the idea of terror without actually showing the shark. However,this is what added to the terror,along with,composer John Williams score, which has since become a well-known theme of impending doom.This is one of the greatest monster/horror films made,which i could never understand how it got a PG.The opening sequence is not only a classic, it's still frightening nearly three decades after it was made,it also has it's fair amount of blood and gore.Plus some truly shit your pants shocks,which are helped by the terrific character-driven story,with it's superb cast,who are all belivable characters.A really good reminder that, once upon a time, Spielberg used to make films for adults rather than infants and popcorn chewing braindead muppets.
Jaws was a lot more than one of the first mega big movie's,IE Blockbusters,it was part of a cycle of paranoia films released in the late 70's reflecting the Vietnam War, Watergate scandal, anti-authoritarianism, and political apathy(sounds familiar???)Don't belive me well well watch it again.Examples; The Mayor and his lackeys persuade Chief Brody that Shark attacks are always isolated, and that he is inexperienced in such matters, he grudgingly agrees to keep quiet,consequently, the shark kills again and again.Chief Brody eventually finds himself dealing both with his own moral guilt for agreeing to hush up the first shark attack which appears to be his sole responsibility,as the slime ball Mayor tries to shift blame.Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss, in the role that propelled him to stardom,as the oceanographer dispatched to Amity to lend his expertise,see's there is a real problem that the Mayor and co choose to ignore/cover up.Then along come's Robert Shaw's Quint as one of the greatest anti-heroes the movies have ever seen. He is funny, frightening and powerful yet fair, and his story of the tragic sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the  90 US Navy personnel who died from shark attack wounds,is one of the most chilling and unforgettable performances ever committed to film.Overall a true masterclass in suspense,that has you in it's grip right to the thrilling action packed finale,a true classic.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 109
RE: JAWS - 21/6/2010 6:01:12 PM   
Snake-Eyes

As always, a fine write-up bill.   At the very end of the film, after Brody has destroyed the Shark, there is a shot of him and Hooper paddling back home with the aid of some barrels.

BRODY: "I used to hate the water."

HOOPER: "I can't imagine why..."

This is not an ironic aside about the fact that they have just battled a Great White and were nearly killed in the process or the inherent fear of the ocean and of sharks that Brody (and we, the audience) has but just Hooper commenting that the ocean is infinite, beautiful and all we can do as humans is be in it's awe.

That's what I think anyway.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 110
RE: JAWS - 21/6/2010 6:24:37 PM   
evil bill

quote:

As always, a fine write-up bill.   At the very end of the film, after Brody has destroyed the Shark, there is a shot of him and Hooper paddling back home with the aid of some barrels.

This is not an ironic aside about the fact that they have just battled a Great White and were nearly killed in the process or the inherent fear of the ocean and of sharks that Brody (and we, the audience) has but just Hooper commenting that the ocean is infinite, beautiful and all we can do as humans is be in it's awe.

Unlike Brody i still hate the water,and it's noting to do with sharks,it's as Brody put it early on in the movie where he's wife says"he's afraid of the water"he replies,"no it's drowning"Like him i can't swim and don't want to either.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 111
RE: JAWS - 21/6/2010 6:45:26 PM   
DazDaMan

Ellen: "Martin hates boats. Martin hates water. Martin, Martin sits in his car when we go on the ferry to the mainland. I guess it's a childhood thing. There's a clinical name for it, isn't there?"

Brody: "Drowning. Listen, is it true that most people get attacked by sharks in three feet of water, about ten feet from the beach?"

Hooper: "Yeah."

B: "And that before people started to swim for recreation, I mean before sharks knew what they were missing, a lot of these attacks weren't reported."

H: "That's right."

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 112
RE: JAWS - 9/7/2010 9:48:15 PM   
Quint

Watched it again last night. Still as good as ever, and one thing I picked up on is just how incredibly good the acting is in it (I know it's obvious but it doesn't always get talked about). Show me a blockbuster now days that has this level of quality acting...I'll be surprised if you can...(setting myself up there). But the scene where Hooper tells Brody that the tiger shark that's been caught might not be the right one is awesome. Watch Scheider's face as he actually reacts ('that doesn't mean acting again' ) to whats being said, like he genuinely wasn't expecting it - as opposed to most actors who are essentially waiting for their turn to speak. There are plenty of moments like this, but I just love that particular scene for some reason.

Also, check out this tattoo!

http://www.zhippo.com/DanHenkTattoosHOSTED/images/gallery/jaws.jpg

I like how it borders the nipples...

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 113
RE: JAWS - 9/7/2010 10:09:07 PM   
DazDaMan

That tattoo is genuinely pretty awesome.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 114
RE: JAWS - 10/7/2010 11:29:47 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Great observation Snake!
The poster for this film was so simple,but so effective,it really got insdie your head.
There were people going to the local beach thinking:"we're gonna be eaten"-all sense of logic went out the window!
Top that Cameron!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 115
RE: JAWS - 11/7/2010 2:36:38 AM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

Ye gods.

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 11/7/2010 2:37:12 AM >

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 116
RE: JAWS - 11/7/2010 2:40:57 AM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

Ye gods.

Best tattoo ever.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 117
RE: JAWS - 17/7/2010 5:54:01 PM   
Sutty

Another couple of reasons why Jaws is still one of THE greatest movies EVER made...

Just watched it again this aafternoon for the first time in years and noticed a couple of things I hadn't before.

1. When Brody is walking through the town after the first attack (off to buy paint for the signs) there is a house with a sign outside that says "Vaughans Realty". Obviously the Mayors interest runs deeper still than just that of the towns welfare. We knew this anyway but I didn't realise that he owned Property in the town. Surely there would be "a conflict of interest"? Just another small indicator of the Mayors crookedness that isn't sledghammered home.

2. The Kintner boy was killed on june 29th. Quint, during his Indianapollis speech says that the shark attack on the Indianopollis happened on June 29th 1945. Pretty cool eh?

3. When the town meeting is held to discuss the closing of the beaches, the local reporter (I think played by Carl Gottlieb) is heard to say to the Mayor abouth the Kintner attack, something along the lines of "IT'S A SMALL STORY. I'LL BURY IT AT THE BACK OF THE PAPER WITH THE GROCERY ADS." Another indicator of the corruption and desperation of certain individuals in the town council. This and the fact they did not inform the coast guard.

4. Have noticed it before, but I just wondered if the two shooting stars had any particular meaning within the film or is it just Spielbergs "thing". Maybe it is a Cloverfield type thing!! Or maybe not...

Sorry if anyone finds this kinda sad and boring but these small realisations really opened the film up for me and renewed my interest much more.
Anyone else notice things in this movie that they didnt after earlier viewings?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 118
RE: JAWS - 17/7/2010 6:07:58 PM   
DazDaMan

I've never noticed, nor thought much about any of those, but yeah a lot of it makes sense. In the book, I'm sure it makes mention of Larry Vaughan being a realtor in the town - but then, of course, it also mentions his ties with the local Mob boss. A storyline that would have dragged the movie out longer than necessary.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 119
JAWS - 4/8/2010 9:07:49 AM   
Snake-Eyes

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Jaws Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI