Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Happy Birthday Jaws

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Happy Birthday Jaws Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 12/6/2012 5:52:52 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: goldleader

Going to watch this next Monday. Very excited but have to say im very disappointed that it isn't getting a very wide release. The Odeon website has it on their front page to book tickets and when you click its only showing at one of there cinemas in the whole country. What a joke!!!!!

Im off to see it at the Empire Cinema in Newcastle and even then its showing in the smallest screen ever with only about 20 seats. ANd its not a digital screen!!!!!

Cineworld seems to be the best place to go and have the most screenings but only digital in some cinemas. And they are not close to me!!!

Very upset.

Film > Digital.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 541
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 12/6/2012 10:15:23 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Tickets booked for Sunday 8:15 with Sharky (how appropriate) and Twisted Kitty!!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 542
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 12/6/2012 10:46:33 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

Going to watch this next Monday. Very excited but have to say im very disappointed that it isn't getting a very wide release. The Odeon website has it on their front page to book tickets and when you click its only showing at one of there cinemas in the whole country. What a joke!!!!!

Im off to see it at the Empire Cinema in Newcastle and even then its showing in the smallest screen ever with only about 20 seats. ANd its not a digital screen!!!!!

Cineworld seems to be the best place to go and have the most screenings but only digital in some cinemas. And they are not close to me!!!

Very upset.

Disappointed that hardly any chains are showing this in central london. I had expected at least a cineworld or odeon in the west end to show it, but nothing. Have to go to Vue.

Still going to be awesome.

I had Korean Barbecue for lunch - I cannot look at a Dr Moreau pigbaby.

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 543
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 13/6/2012 2:03:43 PM   
goldleader

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Very upset.

Film > Digital.

Please explain why?

Post #: 544
RE: Jaws - 13/6/2012 8:49:53 PM   
moviebuff73

loved jaws when i was a kid, but i watched it recently & didn't enjoy it half as much.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 545
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 14/6/2012 2:03:19 AM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very upset.

Film > Digital.

Please explain why?

Because JAWS was shot on film.

It is meant to be seen projected as film.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 546
RE: Jaws - 15/6/2012 12:29:39 PM   
nutteronabus

For any of you planning on catching it in London, the Empire Leicester Square are showing it in Screen 1 on Sunday at 2:30pm.

That'll be the one boasting one of the biggest (non-IMAX) screens in the country, and what is widely regarded as possibly the best sound system in the world.

So, if you're gonna see it...

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 547
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 15/6/2012 1:33:48 PM   
goldleader

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very upset.

Film > Digital.

Please explain why?

Because JAWS was shot on film.

It is meant to be seen projected as film.

Point taken but when you have no choice because the cheap ass multiplexes aren't all showing the film you have to go fo rthe best you can.

I'm still very upset that this isn't getting a wider release. It's not like there are loads of other big films out at the same time. I understand the companies fears that it's not worth it as only film fans will go and watch it. But come on this is Jaws.

Post #: 548
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 15/6/2012 2:30:55 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Tickets booked for Sunday 8:15 with Sharky (how appropriate) and Twisted Kitty!!

Yay! 2 more sleeps!   Just wish that when I booked the tickets, I followed the lead of the guys in front of me when I first saw it on its original release, and asked for tickets in the shallow end

Which reminds me that I read somewere of a special showing a few years ago in a swimming pool, where the audience watched from rubber rings in the water - how cool would that have been?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 549
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 15/6/2012 10:09:19 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm not long back from seeing it on the big screen....

And it was fucking AWESOME!!!!

Like seeing it for the first time. And I was quite literally on the edge of my seat come the finale!

Beautiful, crystal clear print, restored sound, and no morons talking through it. Fantastic!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 550
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 16/6/2012 1:54:12 AM   
Spaldron

Definitely going to see this in the next few days.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 551
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 16/6/2012 2:48:00 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

You said that about Prometheus and I'm still waiting!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 552
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 16/6/2012 2:13:46 PM   
Dark Knight

As a treat for myself on Father's Day, I have just booked the tickets for myself and my daughter to go and see it tomorrow morning. Cannot wait to see this on a big screen.....

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 553
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 16/6/2012 8:28:31 PM   
juanvasquez

Going to see this tonight. I've heard good things, but not getting my hopes up too high. It is a shark film after all...

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 554
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 16/6/2012 8:36:41 PM   
benmharper

Saw it this afternoon. It was like seeing the film for the first time. It looked and sounded amazing.

Edit - and some youths (14/15 years old ish) left with 30mins to go. They obs don't know what they are missing.

< Message edited by benmharper -- 16/6/2012 8:43:51 PM >

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 555
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 17/6/2012 11:56:16 AM   
juanvasquez

It was mega seeing this at the cinema. It's definitely better than watching it at home, enjoyed it a lot more and was great to hear the sound through a cinema system and can appreciate some of the shots a lot more. Plus, with the sound being as it was, I did jump a few times. The couple sat in front of me shat themselves at the Ben Gardner bit!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 556
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 17/6/2012 3:17:07 PM   
Dark Knight

Amazing. That is all!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 557
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 18/6/2012 7:43:43 AM   
jonson

Took my kids to see it yesterday.

"Is this the banana boat one?"
"No" I replied, "that's Jaws the Revenge"
"Aaaw"
"Is it the theme park one?"
"No" I replied again, "That's Jaws 3D"
"Aaaw"

That said, they both jumped a mile at all the right points.
Only the thrid time I've seen Jaws on the cinema, and it really is the best way to see it.
Fantastic fun, gripping, the sound was amazing, the additonal detail in the print is brilliant, it was almost like seeing the film for the first time to be honest.
Sadly, apart from me, the wife and the 2 kids, there were only 2 other people in the cinema. I thought it was the movie event of the summmer??

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 558
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 18/6/2012 8:16:14 AM   
great_badir

So, Thursday night, my local Vue announced that they had it. Saw it on Saturday.

As others have said - amazing. One quickly forgets that it's nearly forty years old.

Blade Runner may be my favourite overall film, but I still think Jaws is, probably, the most perfect film ever made - the script, the score, the acting, the cinematography, the effects (I'm sorry, but I STILL think Bruce doesn't look too bad), and the pace...that pace is pitch perfect. Also a stark reminder of just how terrible the book is.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
Took my kids to see it yesterday.

"Is this the banana boat one?"
"No" I replied, "that's Jaws the Revenge"
"Aaaw"
"Is it the theme park one?"
"No" I replied again, "That's Jaws 3D"
"Aaaw"

That said, they both jumped a mile at all the right points.
Only the thrid time I've seen Jaws on the cinema, and it really is the best way to see it.
Fantastic fun, gripping, the sound was amazing, the additonal detail in the print is brilliant, it was almost like seeing the film for the first time to be honest.
Sadly, apart from me, the wife and the 2 kids, there were only 2 other people in the cinema. I thought it was the movie event of the summmer??

Nine in ours (early afternoon showing, sadly in one of their smallest screens ), including me and my two mates, and all of us were film pricks studiously watching it with furrowed brows, stroking our chins. But fear not, jonson - my mate in Glasgow went to one of the late night showings on one of the big-big screens in their Cineworld and he informed me that that was completely sold out. I also see it's number 10 on this weeks top 10. Hopefully it'll creep up a bit more as more and more cinemas show it this week.

I really wish I could've taken my wife and daughter but the wife was busy with other plans and my little one's probably a bit too young (just over two)...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 559
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 18/6/2012 10:26:02 AM   
matty_b

Yep, truly amazing watching this on the big screen.

Even though you knew it was coming, the big shocks still made you jump and I think you got a real taste of what it would have been like to see this for the first time back in '75.

Would recommend everyone takes a couple of hours to see if, if there's a local screening near you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 560
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 18/6/2012 12:37:58 PM   
st3veebee

Fin-tastic! Though I was in a screening with an exquisitely annoying family that brought their 8-10 year olds to the bathroom 4 times and chatted amongst themsleves for the rest..nothing could stop me from being brought right back to my childhood. I was also surprised at just how well the jumpy moments hold up today.

I think I overall enjoyed my Jurassic Park experience last year a smidge more, perhaps a less annoying audience made the difference, but this was still a brilliant experience.

Nothing new, but that monolgoue by Quint surely must be one of the greatest moments in cinema history. Legendary.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 561
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 18/6/2012 9:24:27 PM   
Woger

This is a cool way to watch Jaws; good plot for a craptacular shark film too.
http://www.theman-cave.com/2011/05/bucket-list-jaws-on-lake-travis_18.html

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 562
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 19/6/2012 12:59:13 PM   
goldleader

Well the Mrs and I went to see this on Saturday night. And we both loved every minute of it.

Ended up going to the Cineworld in Middlesbrough and im glad we did as it wasn't one of the tiny screens but one of the medium size ones. I was a happy man. But as others have said the screening wasn't full. I would say about 1/3 full, but to be honest the whole cinema was dead and it was a Saturday night. Might have been busier on Orange Wednesday.

I have to agree with others it was like watching the film for the first time. Backgrounds came to life and some of the shoots looked amazing. ie Quint in the crows nest and the camera looking up at him and all you can see is his outline from the sun. And my fav dissolve in cinema, when they get the first barrel on and Quint is just stood at the front of the boat and the Chief is moaning that they need to go back and get a bigger boat, the dissolve happens even as the Chief is still talking. Love this as the sun is just setting and it just show how Quint is not listening to anything the Chief is saying therefore neither should the audience.

Im a little disapointed in the general public though to be honest not turning out in full to watch this classic. And most people who i talk to look at me like i have 2 heads when i say i have been to watch Jaws at the cinema. I think the sequels really have tarnished peoples view of great the first film is. Shame for them i guess, just hope if makes enough money for the studios to do this for more films.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 563
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 19/6/2012 1:32:19 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Backgrounds came to life and some of the shoots looked amazing.

Agreed.

Several things I've previously not noticed/have been obscured due to the quality of the previously existing print:
When Hooper turns up at the Brodys' with wine and the Chief opens up the red, he just pours it on top of what was left of his whisky;
Brody's inhaling Old Spice whilst chucking out the chum;
Quint (on the Orca) has a massive grin on his face as he's chugging by when the tiger shark is being displayed;
The positively awful reaction shot from the young guy when Hendricks discovers Chrissie's body

Brilliant.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 564
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 19/6/2012 1:56:39 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Backgrounds came to life and some of the shoots looked amazing.

Agreed.

Several things I've previously not noticed/have been obscured due to the quality of the previously existing print:
When Hooper turns up at the Brodys' with wine and the Chief opens up the red, he just pours it on top of what was left of his whisky;
Brody's inhaling Old Spice whilst chucking out the chum;
Quint (on the Orca) has a massive grin on his face as he's chugging by when the tiger shark is being displayed;
The positively awful reaction shot from the young guy when Hendricks discovers Chrissie's body

Brilliant.

I never noticed these as much before either. The other shot which stood out to me far more than usual was Quint and his gun's silhouette at the front of the ship  against the evening maroon sky was spectacular.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 565
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 20/6/2012 1:18:45 PM   
talpacino

We went to see this on Monday. There was a whole other person in there besides the 3 of us.

It's a shame that the people aren't going to see this, it's easily worth it. Was hoping to be in a busy screen with people who hadn't seen it so I could see their reactions but the missus and brother still squirmed and jumped a bit so it was ok.

Perfect film. Might have to go see it again before it leaves the cinema.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 566
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 20/6/2012 11:06:17 PM   
DazDaMan

I managed to see it again on Sunday after my initial showing on Friday. Took the girlfriend (who thought it was only "OK" on the small screen).

She thought it was better seeing it on the big screen, but it was still only a "good" movie, not a great one....

Anyway, I was yet again on the edge of my seat by the time Brody started climbing that mast - and I've seen the film HUNDREDS of times!!!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 567
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 21/6/2012 12:00:10 AM   
Spaldron

Caught this earlier today, only about 5 people in the screen which was fine by me. Loved the restoration, the film looks better than ever and sounds great, the dialogue has been cleaned up a lot I thought, at least compared to the dvd. Great noticing all the little details you don't get on the small screen. Quints speech seemed even more chilling on the big screen. Classic stuff.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 568
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 21/6/2012 12:30:49 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Maybe you could wait and go with me next time? Was gutted about today.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 569
RE: Happy Birthday Jaws - 21/6/2012 6:16:28 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Caught this earlier today, only about 5 people in the screen which was fine by me. Loved the restoration, the film looks better than ever and sounds great, the dialogue has been cleaned up a lot I thought, at least compared to the dvd. Great noticing all the little details you don't get on the small screen. Quints speech seemed even more chilling on the big screen. Classic stuff.

Aye, I noticed that, but there was one line in it that I thought sounded added in - it's where Hooper jumps down from the flying bridge of the Orca just after its engine burns out. He says "I gotta get my gear."

Now, it may well have been there all the time and I've just never heard it, but when I heard it, it kinda threw me a bit. When I originally saw the movie, I just liked the fact that he seemed not to say anything, he just jumped down to grab his shit before it got destroyed!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Happy Birthday Jaws Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI