Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 6:42:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

It's funny how a film like Robocop could never get made these days.

Probably have to be a indie film.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 61
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 6:56:32 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Not sure, a film like 300 proved that extremely bloody, violence extravaganzas can be greenlit on a big budget, and make a shitload of money. Then again, if the script for RoboCop, as it was filmed, was handed into a studio now, it would most likely be stripped of all edge. The remake/reboot will probably try to popularize the character again, bring it to a wider audience, which means a softer rating. I can definitely understand why they'd want to reboot the character, since it's so fucking good, but I'm extremely apprehensive nonetheless.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 62
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 6:59:44 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya
The remake/reboot will probably try to popularize the character again, bring it to a wider audience, which means a softer rating. I can definitely understand why they'd want to reboot the character, since it's so fucking good, but I'm extremely apprehensive nonetheless.

I dunno, remember this is Darren "The Fountain" Aronofsfky.

I'd love to see them bring back Weller and explore the notion of Robocop's human side aging.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 63
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:04:54 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

The remake/reboot will probably try to popularize the character again, bring it to a wider audience, which means a softer rating. I can definitely understand why they'd want to reboot the character, since it's so fucking good, but I'm extremely apprehensive nonetheless.

I dunno, remember this is Darren "The Fountain" Aronofsfky.

I'd love to see them bring back Weller and explore the notion of Robocop's human side aging.

It's definitely an asset to have a director like him attached, a rather strange choice, but not unappealing. That said, studios with dollar signs in their eyes can fuck up even the most bold vision, or re-vision, in a heartbeat.
I'd like to see Weller in the role again, in fact I'd love it, but I can't see it happening.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 64
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:07:30 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

I'd like to see Weller in the role again, in fact I'd love it, but I can't see it happening.

Don't write it off too quickly, Aranofsky isn't the type of filmmaker to spend 2-3 years of his life making a standard stuido product, and there is a trend at the moment to bring back 80s action heros.

And Weller isn't as expensive as Stallone/Ford/Murphy/Willis.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 65
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:16:26 PM   
Kazuya

Well, anything's possible

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 66
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:18:53 PM   
Tech_Noir

There are always... possibilities.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 67
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:25:06 PM   
Kazuya

Just out of curiosity my friend, who would you pick for the role of Alex Murphy if Weller doesn't get the shot?

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 68
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:29:36 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Just out of curiosity my friend, who would you pick for the role of Alex Murphy if Weller doesn't get the shot?

Search me, but not to sound too "Lucas" but CGI could be a way to get the Weller look.

Alterntaives are many, Aaron Eckhart?

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 69
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:33:02 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

Search me, but not to sound too "Lucas" but CGI could be a way to get the Weller look.

Alterntaives are many, Aaron Eckhart?

I was actually thinking a bit about that too, to be honest..probably ain't gonna happen though.

Eckhart is definitely not a bad choice, he would be able to portray the strong, as well as the emotional side.
I think someone like Patrick Wilson could be a good fit too.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 70
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 7:35:02 PM   
Tech_Noir

Peter Weller shouldn't be that difficult to source, the man was doing lectures for the National Film & Television School here in the UK.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 71
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 25/12/2008 10:45:20 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Talking about the ending, I love it. He says his name and the film suddenly ends with a huge Robocop on the screen with Poledorius great soundtrack in the backround. It is perfect.

Kinda a strange contradiction, Murphy finally rediscovers who he is (the emotional core of the film), he says his name then suddenly his OCP product name is flung in our face.

Movie finished.....thar was credits sequence.....me not listening......

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 72
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 1:23:38 AM   
krudler

I love Robocop, its just sheer fucking balls out, dont make em like they used to , darkly comic, ultraviolent 80's genius, SO many quotable lines including my faves:

"Mind if I.......zip this up?"

"Bitches leave"

" Oh fuck Dick Jones!"

"I want a car! something that goes really fast and gets really shitty gas mileage!"

And of course the more remembered ones, Robocop 2 has one of my favourite lines in movies in it, when Robo and Caine are battering the shit out of each other and the head of OCP yells "BEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVE YOURSELVES!"  it has me in fucking stiches every time I hear it

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 73
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 11:19:06 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

I love Robocop, its just sheer fucking balls out, dont make em like they used to , darkly comic, ultraviolent 80's genius, SO many quotable lines including my faves:

"Mind if I.......zip this up?"

"Bitches leave"

" Oh fuck Dick Jones!"

"I want a car! something that goes really fast and gets really shitty gas mileage!"

And of course the more remembered ones, Robocop 2 has one of my favourite lines in movies in it, when Robo and Caine are battering the shit out of each other and the head of OCP yells "BEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVE YOURSELVES!"  it has me in fucking stiches every time I hear it

The film is a fucking horn of plenty of quotes, excellent choices

Also,

"You're gonna be a bad motherfucker."

I love Ferrer's performance in this film too.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 74
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 11:21:08 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

"And no matter how it turns out I want my old job back!" Fucking hilarious.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 75
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 11:54:49 AM   
krudler

Just read through the rest of this thread, totally agree about the great sound effects for Robo's steps and ED-209's growl, I love when he falls down the stairs it was ballsy of the filmmakers to show the movies villain in a comedic moment without cheapening how threatening ED is, gotta love that ending too, Robo stabbing Boddicker in the neck and being fucking showered with blood is something you'd never see in a movie today

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 76
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 12:11:53 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Just read through the rest of this thread, totally agree about the great sound effects for Robo's steps and ED-209's growl, I love when he falls down the stairs it was ballsy of the filmmakers to show the movies villain in a comedic moment without cheapening how threatening ED is, gotta love that ending too, Robo stabbing Boddicker in the neck and being fucking showered with blood is something you'd never see in a movie today

"Sayonara, RoboCop!"

Guess not, Clarence

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 77
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 6:11:57 PM   
mrsumner

quote:

I think the sound effects in this film often get overlooked.

Hmm, the movie got a special achievement award for sound effects editing in 1988

By the way, everything great about the film has been said... Keep that thread very alive ! Never there has been a better amalgam of pure entertainment and social commentary and the fact this was released in a decade often considered as dull, mindless, consumerism-obsessed makes this gem more fabulous. I don't remember in which year exactly Robocop's plot is set, but the bit with the TV news announcing former US presidents' - including Ronald Reagan's - houses being flooded is quite un-PC, especially in the years that saw Rocky triumphs over the East and misinterpretation of Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA". Only a director of the vein of Paul Verhoeven, the guy who shocked his homeland Netherlands with flicks like Turkish's Delights, The Fourth Man or Flesh and Blood could dare committing such an act. And kudos as well to Orion Pictures, the now defunct company which produced the movie (which had also previously produced The Terminator and went on later producing the likes of Total Recall or Silence Of The Lambs), for their audacity in general.

Concerning Robocop's "reboot" and despite being a big Darren Aronofsky fan (Pi is my favorite 'cult' movie), I still think a man like David Fincher could have handled the material a bit better. I mean Fincher is largely competent at dealing with dark mood or black comedy (more the case here), which he proved throughout Fight Club.

And what if Robocop had been a precursor of Fight Club in terms of irreverent look at society's frenetic consumerism ?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 78
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 6:14:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrsumner

quote:

Hmm, the movie got a special achievement award for sound effects editing in 1988

I meant generally speaking.

(in reply to mrsumner)
Post #: 79
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 26/12/2008 6:24:13 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

By the way, everything great about the film has been said... Keep that thread very alive ! Never there has been a better amalgam of pure entertainment and social commentary and the fact this was released in a decade often considered as dull, mindless, consumerism-obsessed makes this gem more fabulous. I don't remember in which year exactly Robocop's plot is set, but the bit with the TV news announcing former US presidents' - including Ronald Reagan's - houses being flooded is quite un-PC, especially in the years that saw Rocky triumphs over the East and misinterpretation of Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA". Only a director of the vein of Paul Verhoeven, the guy who shocked his homeland Netherlands with flicks like Turkish's Delights, The Fourth Man or Flesh and Blood could dare committing such an act. And kudos as well to Orion Pictures, the now defunct company which produced the movie (which had also previously produced The Terminator and went on later producing the likes of Total Recall or Silence Of The Lambs), for their audacity in general.

Concerning Robocop's "reboot" and despite being a big Darren Aronofsky fan (Pi is my favorite 'cult' movie), I still think a man like David Fincher could have handled the material a bit better. I mean Fincher is largely competent at dealing with dark mood or black comedy (more the case here), which he proved throughout Fight Club.

And what if Robocop had been a precursor of Fight Club in terms of irreverent look at society's frenetic consumerism ?

Good post, and don't worry man, I'll do everything I can to keep the thread alive and kicking
It's nice too see another pure blood Verhoeven fanboy like myself, and you're right, one of the major assets of RoboCop is the acid laced satire, the coal-black humour, in-your-face provocation is what the Dutch master does best.

"Nukem. Get them before they get you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSSVt7Mfkk

Btw, RoboCop is set "Sometime in the near future", which is perfect for the social commentary, the blatant ridicule of consumerism.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to mrsumner)
Post #: 80
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 27/12/2008 9:07:52 AM   
mrsumner

Thanks Kazuya ! And I now know what you mean, Tech

Yes, that "Nukem" ad is hilarious ! And the talking heads you see in the movie seem to be carbon copies of them Fox News presenters

On another note, I remember a still photograph taken from the gas station scene which is often discussed for its satirical aspect and irony, but can't find it on the net : you see Robocop emerging from huge flames after an explosion took place at the Shell gas station in question, and the "S" from the Shell sign is concealed by one of the said flames, so that you can read "HELL" above Robocop's head.

THIS SCENE OWNS.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 81
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 27/12/2008 1:48:40 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Thanks Kazuya ! And I now know what you mean, Tech

Yes, that "Nukem" ad is hilarious ! And the talking heads you see in the movie seem to be carbon copies of them Fox News presenters

On another note, I remember a still photograph taken from the gas station scene which is often discussed for its satirical aspect and irony, but can't find it on the net : you see Robocop emerging from huge flames after an explosion took place at the Shell gas station in question, and the "S" from the Shell sign is concealed by one of the said flames, so that you can read "HELL" above Robocop's head.

THIS SCENE OWNS.

I've looked for the pic as well, but alas, no dice. But I agree that the scene is awesome.

"We killed you, we killed you!"

Yeah, the Nukem ad is hilarious, no wonder some excutives had a hard time with it's inclusion

Also, this Magnavolt ad from the sequel is pretty funny too, black humour in the extreme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ismEjTFI4

"And it won't even run down your battery."

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to mrsumner)
Post #: 82
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 27/12/2008 3:37:38 PM   
Zaphod121

Fucking love RoboCop, it has everything an action film can want, I wish Verhoveon (sp?) would come back to teh action genre. As far as the sequel pt 2 is pretty good (though I haven't seen it in ages) but pt 3 is just UTTER balls, god I hate that movie. Never seen the Tv series or any of the Tv movies either.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 83
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 27/12/2008 3:43:20 PM   
Tech_Noir

How they went from violent adult satire to ultra kiddy-friendly in such a short amount of time is still amazing

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 84
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 27/12/2008 3:48:55 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Fucking love RoboCop, it has everything an action film can want, I wish Verhoveon (sp?) would come back to teh action genre. As far as the sequel pt 2 is pretty good (though I haven't seen it in ages) but pt 3 is just UTTER balls, god I hate that movie. Never seen the Tv series or any of the Tv movies either.

Fuckin' A it does, as far as I'm concerned the film is utterly flawless. Not only is it stylized violence of the highest order, it's sharp as a razor too. On the dvd Verhoeven talks about when the project was first brought to him, he thought it sounded ridiculous, but thankfully he accepted and saw the chance to take it to another level entirely. Some critics complained it was too bleak, but that's the whole fuckin point. I agree that Verhoeven should do more action/sci-fi, hopefully he will some day. I've never seen the tv show either btw, I just pretend it doesn't exist, like the third "film".

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 85
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 29/12/2008 4:31:24 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Forgot to mention Emile harassing the nerd in the petrol station - that bit always cracks me up

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 86
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 29/12/2008 4:40:29 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Forgot to mention Emile harassing the nerd in the petrol station - that bit always cracks me up

"You think you can outsmart a bullet?"
Cracks me up too, I love the way the nerd reacts, just shaking his head, scared out of his fucking mind.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 87
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 29/12/2008 4:56:37 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Or directed by Darren Aronofsky.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004716/

Why Aronofsky?  

Why?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 88
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 29/12/2008 5:03:25 PM   
Deviation

I thought Aronofsky would be a guy who would respect works of art.............

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 89
RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread - 29/12/2008 5:12:14 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I thought Aronofsky would be a guy who would respect works of art.............

Apparently it's more of a continuation, a reboot, rather than a straight remake. Still massively apprehensive about it though.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: State of the Art Bang Bang - The RoboCop Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI