Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 12:26:01 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

- The music from the very beginning is repeated when he buries his 'brother', which obvious as it may be, I hadn't noticed before. It's music you only hear when Plainview is digging, and I wonder if there's some significance there.

Do you have a copy of Jonny Greenwood's score, Homer? Absolutely masterful stuff, robbed at the Oscars.(Though I'm possibly a bit biased towards it.)

A great score, but it was Ratatouille's music that was robbed!

TWBB's soundtrack worked better as a standalone piece of music than Ratatouille, imo.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 211
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 1:46:50 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

TWBB's music works wonders in the film, there's not doubt about it, but Ratatouille delights in conjunction with and away from the film. Listening to Ratatouille, it brings back all the memories and delights from the film in a way that few scores can.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 212
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 7:09:18 PM   
Olaf

The only thing I'd say about it is that, minus the odd typical French instrument peppered throughout, Ratatouille's score is a bit interchangeable with the other Pixar scores. Greenwood's TWBB soundtrack could come from nothing else but TWBB. Like I said though, both are great scores.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 22/2/2009 7:12:07 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 213
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 10:18:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I stuck a CD of Arvo Part's music on in the car today. First track was Fratres. As soon as it started it transported me right back to the film. I wasn't sure which bit of the score was Part's music, because it blends so seamlessly, but it's brilliantly evocative of the film - almost as if it were written for it too.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 214
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 10:20:34 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I stuck a CD of Arvo Part's music on in the car today. First track was Fratres. As soon as it started it transported me right back to the film. I wasn't sure which bit of the score was Part's music, because it blends so seamlessly, but it's brilliantly evocative of the film - almost as if it were written for it too.

It was the sequence were Daniel beats Eli near the oil well.

Anyway, Arvo part is my favourite minimalist composer. I love his De Profundis (which I thinbk was heard in Dead Man's Shoes).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 215
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 10:24:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Spiegel im Spiegel is great too. And the piece Ludus is just awesome. It just builds and builds and leaves you nearly breathless by the end.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 216
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/2/2009 10:28:07 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Spiegel im Spiegel is great too. And the piece Ludus is just awesome. It just builds and builds and leaves you nearly breathless by the end.

Haven't heard Ludus. Spiegel im Spiegel is very moving though. Do you like Penderecki? Greenwood seems to have influenced himself quite a bit from him. Penderecki can be heard in Kubrick's The Shining and the final battle sequence in Children of Men.

He is more Avant-Garde though, and his music though very pleasent, is hardly pleasent.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 217
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/2/2009 5:37:13 PM   
davie_rfc

Finally got to see this. I absolutely loved it which I think was a forgone conclusion seeing as how I love all of PTA other films. I seem to be in the minority here but the only thing that bugged me about it was Jonny Greenwood's soundtrack. It just didnt seem right to me at all 

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 218
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/2/2009 6:00:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Haven't heard Ludus. Spiegel im Spiegel is very moving though. Do you like Penderecki? Greenwood seems to have influenced himself quite a bit from him. Penderecki can be heard in Kubrick's The Shining and the final battle sequence in Children of Men.

He is more Avant-Garde though, and his music though very pleasent, is hardly pleasent.

Not heard of Penderecki. Which bit in The Shining his his music?

On a related Kubrickian note, I never realised that the music from the beginning of A Clockwork Orange is Renaissance music, just played on some sort of synthesiser or electronic-type instrument. It was played on Radio 3 a few months back and it completely threw me until I realised where I'd heard it. It's amazing how hearing something played on different instruments, or a different arrangement, can be so hard to identify!

Davie_rfc, welcome to the thread! See, I think that Greenwood's score, whether it was written for the film or not (that weird titled piece Superhet Receiver or something) works perfectly for the film. Puts you that little bit on edge.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 219
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/2/2009 6:18:27 PM   
Olaf

Popcorn Superhet Receiver!! [/radiohead geek]

Post #: 220
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/2/2009 8:33:09 AM   
UTB

I finally saw this on Sunday.

Towering performance from Day Lewis, amazing set design and production, but something just wasn't right.

I don't often say this, but I didn't 'get' it. I understood what went on, I understood the plot, the characters etc, but something was missing.

I appreciate how well this film was made, and am generally a big PTA fan, but something didn't sit right.

I've also got to go against the grain and say that the score was jarring and distracting, and it wasn't just me who thought that either.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 221
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/2/2009 1:55:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Sorry to hear you didn't like the music. I'll agree that there is something about the music that jars: I just see that as a good thing, rather than a bad thing. I do know a few folk who, having disliked it the first time around, have completely reappraised it on a subsequent viewing.

After a week of not picking up Oil!, I'm starting to get into it now. The main protagonist is completely different not only in name (J. Arnold Ross) but also in character traits (an almost kindly man, not something that can be said of Plainview). But it was in chapter two where I was very surprised at how exactly it matches the film. In the scene where Plainview meets the townsfolk and gives his first "ladies and gentlemen, I've travelled over half our state to be with you today..." speech, the words Plainview says are nearly word-for-word what is in the novel. It was kind of unnerving hearing Day Lewis in my head as I read them!

Sinclair has a very mannered approach to writing, but it works. It's very of its time, but it's also very readable. I'll update when I've finished it next, so as not to litter the thread with spoilers of the book for those (GIMLI!) who are planning on reading it.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 222
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/2/2009 8:53:24 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Not heard of Penderecki. Which bit in The Shining his his music?

On a related Kubrickian note, I never realised that the music from the beginning of A Clockwork Orange is Renaissance music, just played on some sort of synthesiser or electronic-type instrument. It was played on Radio 3 a few months back and it completely threw me until I realised where I'd heard it. It's amazing how hearing something played on different instruments, or a different arrangement, can be so hard to identify!

Davie_rfc, welcome to the thread! See, I think that Greenwood's score, whether it was written for the film or not (that weird titled piece Superhet Receiver or something) works perfectly for the film. Puts you that little bit on edge.

Don't remember the sequences, but it featured greatly in the third act of The Shining. Here are the ones of Penderecki's composition used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLdbCQhzfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6sTdCW13X8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9d8OopJrhg&feature=related

The opening of  A Clockwork Orange is a synthesized version of Henry Purcell's Music for the Funreal of Queen Mary. The one of the opening theme was done by Wendy Carlos I think. Great music nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYQtNAHbX4

Just don't listen to the techno version......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UivQUSKIlDQ&feature=related

It's that one, come on, press it.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 223
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 15/9/2009 12:02:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

OK, so with just 3 months left of the noughties, I still reckon this is the film of the decade. Can anything eclipse it in the next 3 months? Has anything bettered it in your opinion? 

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 224
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 15/9/2009 12:32:30 PM   
Pigeon Army

Nothing else has inspired me to create this...

So in that sense, no. I still think there are a lot of better films made this decade, though, but this one is nonetheless amazing, and worthy of immense praise.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 225
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 15/9/2009 12:36:55 PM   
FritzlFan

I think so, with Mulholland Drive a close second.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 226
THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 8/8/2010 9:21:41 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I caught this film on BBC2 last night (actually, it was playing in the background whilst Snake-Eyes was packing some eBay sells). Weird film. I mean there were good performances by Day-Lewis who I've always had respect for and Paul Dano who I last saw in the excellent LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE and Ciaran Hinds is always a welcome addition but it wasn't what I'd expected. I've never actually been able to sit through a Paul Thomas Anderson film - they just bore me to be honest (yes, even BOOGIE NIGHTS). One of the notable and almost quirkier components of THERE WILL BE BLOOD was the score - how it was utilised; long stretches would pass with no music whatsoever and then when it did kick in, it was loud and almost annoying but perhaps that was the desired effect. Nice cinematography which captured the vast landscapes, almost like a Western. I didn't understand why all of a sudden Daniel just switches on his son when he's grown-up & married and says he wants to move away and start his own oil-business, calling him a 'Bastard from a basket'. If this was a 'I'm all old & alone and you're leaving me' thing it wasn't conveyed clearly unless there was a whole lotta stuff (bad blood) between father and son that took place before '1927' that we don't see (OTHER than the fact that the kid became deaf due to that oil well explosion).

Overall, worth a watch but nothing worth creaming up over.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 227
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 14/8/2010 8:55:30 PM   
Judge

The fact that Empire gave The Dark Knight film of the year in their 2008 review over this is frankly, a bit of a joke. The Dark Knight is a very good film, this is in an entirely different league. I very, very rarely call a film a masterpiece, but I can't think of enough superlatives for this film. I love it.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 228
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 14/8/2010 10:20:10 PM   
Finn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

The fact that Empire gave The Dark Knight film of the year in their 2008 review over this is frankly, a bit of a joke. The Dark Knight is a very good film, this is in an entirely different league. I very, very rarely call a film a masterpiece, but I can't think of enough superlatives for this film. I love it.

Totally agree with you. Both excellent films - but TWBB is on another level of excellence.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 229
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 17/8/2010 2:10:31 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I caught this film on BBC2 last night (actually, it was playing in the background whilst Snake-Eyes was packing some eBay sells). Weird film. I mean there were good performances by Day-Lewis who I've always had respect for and Paul Dano who I last saw in the excellent LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE and Ciaran Hinds is always a welcome addition but it wasn't what I'd expected. I've never actually been able to sit through a Paul Thomas Anderson film - they just bore me to be honest (yes, even BOOGIE NIGHTS). One of the notable and almost quirkier components of THERE WILL BE BLOOD was the score - how it was utilised; long stretches would pass with no music whatsoever and then when it did kick in, it was loud and almost annoying but perhaps that was the desired effect. Nice cinematography which captured the vast landscapes, almost like a Western. I didn't understand why all of a sudden Daniel just switches on his son when he's grown-up & married and says he wants to move away and start his own oil-business, calling him a 'Bastard from a basket'. If this was a 'I'm all old & alone and you're leaving me' thing it wasn't conveyed clearly unless there was a whole lotta stuff (bad blood) between father and son that took place before '1927' that we don't see (OTHER than the fact that the kid became deaf due to that oil well explosion).

Overall, worth a watch but nothing worth creaming up over.

Don’t really think you can enjoy it to its fullest potential unless you give it the full attention it deserves from the very first frame. But to be fair it is a very slow building piece that will not be to everyone’s tastes to say the least. For my money though, it’s one of only a handful of truly stunning works I have seen in the last decade. Fellowship of the Ring, Children of Men, Pans Labyrinth, There Will be Blood and now Inception all truly stunned me over the last decade or so.

Jonny Greenwoods score is truly amazing in the film. Just wonderful. Musically it is challenging, beautiful, confident and in places downright unsettling. It’s one of my all time favourite scores.

The ‘bastard from a basket’ remark comes from the fact that HW is not Daniel's son. We see his actual father killed within the first 20 minutes of the film. Daniel lifts him from the basket he is in immediately after his father’s death in the desert. Daniel essentially uses HW to project a false image of a trustworthy, family values orientated business man onto his clients. The sheer level of resentment would be the result (in Daniels eyes) of the fact that he took him in and schooled him in the oil trade only to have him essentially leave and become a competitor to Plainview’s oil monopoly. You can see how upset HW is even though the resentment should by all rights belong to him, for the way Daniel treats him after the gas explosion at the Derrick in Little Boston. The moment HW speaks still kills me to this day!

Upshot: The scale does not go high enough for There Will be Blood for me. Don’t really like using the term but what the hey. Whatever a masterpiece is, this is about as close to it as I’ve ever seen.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 230
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 2/11/2010 1:49:08 PM   
pete_traynor

Brilliant! Who wouldn't want to play this?

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/02/votd-video-game-version-there-blood/#more-91692

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 231
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 23/1/2011 12:42:28 AM   
Mr Grady

I can't really add to what's already been said, however did anyone else smirk at Plainview's delivery of ''We're just hunting for Quail?''  especially when he said it the second time.

Marvelous film, one of my all time favourites.

< Message edited by Mr Grady -- 23/1/2011 12:45:06 AM >

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 232
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 29/1/2011 12:27:06 AM   
Coyleone

I finally saw this on Sunday.

Towering performance from Day Lewis, amazing set design and production, but something just wasn't right.
quote:

I don't often say this, but I didn't 'get' it. I understood what went on, I understood the plot, the characters etc, but something was missing.

I appreciate how well this film was made, and am generally a big PTA fan, but something didn't sit right.

I've also got to go against the grain and say that the score was jarring and distracting, and it wasn't just me who thought that either.

I was going to write something along these lines but you put it better than i could of. Day Lewis was amazing, the cinematography was immense and i liked the score, but there wasn't anough to make me fully care about the characters, still very much worth watching. Maybe i need to watch it again actualy.

As for the best of the decade...I can name a lot that i thought where better than TWBB, It wasn't even my favorite film of the year TDK and No Country where more to my tastes, to each his own i supose. Pans Labyrinth, Return Of The King and Black Swan are the only ones i would consider to be Masterpieces.

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 233
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 30/1/2011 9:59:22 AM   
jobloffski

Thought it was okay first time, but knowing how it ends puts a whole new spin on many events (well, d'uh!)

From the moment he meets Eli, oh, dude, it aint gonna end well between you and Daniel...

The music worked better (mainly the sound of Daniels soul, I reckon, mainly like a misfiring machine, but when things are going his way, more trasitinally musical, and looked at that way, the sudden jolliness to the music after he doesn't let Eli bless the well is rather hilariou).

Found the ending a little abrubt first time but so git it more second time (invisitexted despite being rather obvious)

After using HW to exploit the sentimental view of 'family' others have, Daniel eventually starts to seem a little more human when his 'brother' turns up. This makes it seem for all his cynicism, he wants REAL family more than anything. This is highlighted when he takes H.W back and seems to transcend his use of the boy for gain, because this is the most real family bond he has. And the monster in him comes out when he finds out this brother is not real, and took the 'story' of the dead brother he never knew he had...Later, Eli makes what turns out to be a fatal mistake...while being bullied by Daniel...he says 'we're brothers! We're Brothers!!' Daniel can't tolerate this abuse of the idea of family.

Fake family is what Daniel sees in others, he exploits their sentimentality for gain, but there is a yearning in him for this belief in the idea of family, but there is a simulataneous rejection of sentimentality as weakness. And Daniel mocks others for theirs, but when his weakness of needing a connection is touched he momentarily shows a human side he normally denies, and the rage he feels when this is betrayed/rejected is relfected in his rejection of HW, and his murdering of his two 'brothers' Henry and Eli. Eli, for whatever wuss/arse he is, is Daniel's last longstanding connection to another human being (and putting on just as a much of a front as he is). The lack of of such connections eats him alive gradually for his whole life. And when he severs his last tie, he's already almost destroyed by his inability to embrace others, but severing that last tie to others is followed by belated honesty and self awareness; "I'm finished"

And because he can't have what he most craves, he can't bear anybody else to succeed, a psychological flaw common among people from 'broken homes' because in theory (not always in practice obviously) family allows you to take joy in the successes and joys of those you care for, and by itself that can make life seem worth living. If you cannot say well done to someone else, and you detest people in general so it means nothing if they say well done to you, where does that leave you?

Alone, digging the dark. As Daniel is literally at the start, and spiritually/emotionally/symbolically at the end.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 30/1/2011 10:12:02 AM >

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 234
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 11/7/2012 1:04:48 PM   
Vitamin F

Just watched this for the first time in about 3 years, and only my second viewing.

Was really impressed when I first watched it, but didn't know if I'd want to revisit it often, so didn't buy it until a week ago - got 2 disc dvd for quail prices on Amazon (£1 actually).

And I'm so glad I went back...what a film. Really works on a repeated viewing, so I'd suggest anyone that's only seen it once and quite liked it to give it another visit. I'll be watching it again tonight, and think this is now finally in my all time top 10. Such a compelling watch, Day-Lewis creates another landmark character who is totally convincing, beautiful cinematography, humour, tension, quotability, authenticity...it's all there in buckets.

Fantastic, and this thread needs bumped anyway.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 235
RE: THERE WILL BE BLOOD - 11/7/2012 1:39:33 PM   
UTB

I actually bought this on Blu Ray a couple of months ago and looking at my earlier post I'm interested to know what I'll think of it the second time round.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 236
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI