Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 19/1/2009 4:19:43 AM   
Lex Romero

quote:

ORIGINAL: forbidden_planet

quote:

ORIGINAL: batcountry84

I felt sorry for HW at the end but still rooted for Plainview! 

At the end I just felt more happy for HW because he wasnt blood related and how much of a better man he was than Daniel. Its a very sad and powerful scene though how Daniel looks at HW with such disgust and you realise how hateful Daniel has really become, when at one time he loved HW as his own.

Interesting, I viewed the scene as Plainview's kindest act, he wanted HW to be succesful but at the same time part of him felt threatened by the prospect of competition.  The kindest act Plainview could perform was to tell him he wasn't his son, essentially freeing him and perhaps giving him some of the anger he needed to make his business a success.

My Film list for 2009:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=39

(in reply to forbidden_planet)
Post #: 181
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 19/1/2009 7:58:23 AM   
forbidden_planet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

quote:

quote:

At the end I just felt more happy for HW because he wasnt blood related and how much of a better man he was than Daniel. Its a very sad and powerful scene though how Daniel looks at HW with such disgust and you realise how hateful Daniel has really become, when at one time he loved HW as his own.

Interesting, I viewed the scene as Plainview's kindest act, he wanted HW to be succesful but at the same time part of him felt threatened by the prospect of competition.  The kindest act Plainview could perform was to tell him he wasn't his son, essentially freeing him and perhaps giving him some of the anger he needed to make his business a success.

An interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps he was trying to be kind and give HW the anger that had made Plainview successful.

"Robert Ford would only lay on the floor and look at the ceiling, the light going out of his eyes before he could find the right words"

"How many times do I have to tell you John, I always have a plan"

(in reply to Lex Romero)
Post #: 182
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 19/1/2009 10:14:00 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

quote:

quote:

An interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps he was trying to be kind and give HW the anger that had made Plainview successful.

Ooh, I like that interpretation. Returns a smidgeon of humanity to this otherwise emotionless beast that Plainview has become by the end.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 183
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 19/1/2009 10:44:07 PM   
richCie

it's an interesting interpretation, but im not sure i agree with it, with the scene with HW he does seem entirely distanced from any shred of humanity he once inhibited. he seems dangerously aloof and distant from what is going on, and seems to seek any possible confrontation that he can.
yet with Eli he seems to have a far better grasp of things, although only temporary. to be honest i still feel inclined to believe that Mr Daniel has in fact, totally lost it.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 184
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/1/2009 2:21:58 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Saving this from second page hell, I got a note that the local library had got my copy I'd ordered. Should be watching it again before Tuesday, woop woop!

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 185
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/1/2009 7:39:11 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Saving this from second page hell, I got a note that the local library had got my copy I'd ordered. Should be watching it again before Tuesday, woop woop!

wat?

you don't own this?
you of all people?!?!

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 186
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/1/2009 4:53:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

True, I thought he'd have camped out the day before its release

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 187
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/1/2009 10:05:54 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I have the Region 1, 2-disc, super-nice, cardboard, slip case edition that was released back in April last year.  Unfortunately my folks (where I'm currently residing) don't have a R1 DVD player. Believe me, I've googled but this DVD-recorder/VHS player combi unit thingy they have is unhackable as far as I can see.

As for camping out, I did campaign (almost an anagram there!) for it as a birthday present (successfully!), if that counts...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 188
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/1/2009 5:00:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Curiosity in overdrive!

Has anyone hear read Oil!? I bought it almost a year ago but still not got round to opening it

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 189
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 12:35:15 AM   
matthewforan

It's the best made movie since the Godfather. Two great performances, Lewis is probably at career best not sure if it's better than Gangs of New York but still a fantastic performance. Looking forward to what Paul Dano has to offer in the future.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 190
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 1:03:22 AM   
forbidden_planet

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

It's the best made movie since the Godfather. Two great performances, Lewis is probably at career best not sure if it's better than Gangs of New York but still a fantastic performance. Looking forward to what Paul Dano has to offer in the future.

Dano was definately understated in the press and since after really. His performance was brilliant. After Little Miss Sunshine, which is still very good, I never saw Dano being able to pull off this sort of character and do it so well.

Just to make you all jealous, my local art house theatre is showing TWBB in a few weeks time. You can predict where I will be!
Will be wondeful to see it all again on the big screen. I remember the first time I saw it and when the credits rolled I was speechless.

"Robert Ford would only lay on the floor and look at the ceiling, the light going out of his eyes before he could find the right words"

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 191
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 1:09:21 AM   
matthewforan

I think it was when Lewis won the Bafta he singled out Dano........i'll try to find it on youtube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8LSFoQlIE3o

He doesn't single him out but still a nice moment.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 192
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 4:11:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

It's the best made movie since the Godfather.

It's much better than The Godfather, but there have been better films since then.

Much more better!

Post #: 193
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 11:14:28 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

It's the best made movie since the Godfather.

It's much better than The Godfather, but there have been better films since then.

True there have been many great films made since the Godfather but few had the impact on the world of cinema like the two films did. By that I mean the box office success, mixed with the awards and just the films in general. The music, the characters and just the overall fantastic plot.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 194
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 11:45:35 AM   
forbidden_planet

quote:

I think it was when Lewis won the Bafta he singled out Dano........i'll try to find it on youtube.

Good video. Its hard to see Plainview in Lewis, by the way Lewis speaks and looks out of character. He is truely a fantastic actor to dive so deeply into the character he is playing.

Post #: 195
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/1/2009 11:50:01 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

quote:

Good video. Its hard to see Plainview in Lewis, by the way Lewis speaks and looks out of character. He is truely a fantastic actor to dive so deeply into the character he is playing.

Yeah I know he's such a genteel guy and yet he's played some right bastard of characters.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 196
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 27/1/2009 4:07:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Watched this again yesterday, and despite it being about the sixth or seventh time I've seen it I still noticed things I hadn't noticed before.

- There's an early scene in which Plainview and HW are talking to the couple, trying to sell their services, and the wife asks Plainview where his wife is. Day-Lewis does this brilliant bit of acting where he looks at the wife, looks down, and looks up again. In the moment when he looks down, the personable facade is dropped momentarily and there's a look of utter disgust on his face. When he looks back up, the facade is back, and carries on with the conversation. It ties in neatly with Plainview's later assertion that he 'hates most people'.

- The music from the very beginning is repeated when he buries his 'brother', which obvious as it may be, I hadn't noticed before. It's music you only hear when Plainview is digging, and I wonder if there's some significance there.

- The Brahms Violin Concerto 3rd movement bookends Plainview's successful career. It plays the first time as the derrick is started, and the second time right at the end.

- The idea that Plainview was being kind in his own distinct way at the end by distancing himself from HW by revealing HW's true parentage doesn't hold water under scrutiny. He says in his earlier conversation with Henry that he hates to see other people succeed - he wants to be the only successful person. That ties in with his decision to see HW as a competitor (love the way he says 'competitor') rather than a potential business partner. It also clarifies the information he gives to Eli about Paul at the end: In case there was any doubt that Plainview is spinning Eli a load of old bollocks (the fact he says he gave Paul $1000 at the start should have rung alarm bells as to the veracity of Plainview's story) then Plainview's desire to see others fail would make his apparent contentedness at knowing Paul is a successful oilman (and therefore also a competitor) a complete falsity.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 197
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 27/1/2009 4:26:00 PM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

information
quote:

That ties in with his decision to see HW as a competitor (love the way he says 'competitor') rather than a potential business partner.

"That would make you my COM-PET-A-TOOOOORRR"

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

Post #: 198
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/1/2009 4:52:59 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

It also clarifies the information he gives to Eli about Paul at the end: In case there was any doubt that Plainview is spinning Eli a load of old bollocks (the fact he says he gave Paul $1000 at the start should have rung alarm bells as to the veracity of Plainview's story) then Plainview's desire to see others fail would make his apparent contentedness at knowing Paul is a successful oilman (and therefore also a competitor) a complete falsity.

So Paul isn't successful at all, or he is and Plainview's just putting on a show to hurt Eli?

Much more better!

Post #: 199
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/1/2009 10:39:33 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I don't think that Plainview a) knows what Paul is doing by 1927 or b) cares. What he does care about is crushing Eli is fully as possible. And to help this he makes up a story about the estranged brother, whom Eli had realised earlier in the film had sold out the family. By creating this story about Paul's success he shows Eli how pathetic and wasted he is, even more so in the shadow of his brother. And it allows that great line "you're the afterbirth", and the dripping malice with which Day-Lewis says it. 

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 200
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 8/2/2009 11:47:23 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

I watched TWBB for the first time a couple of days: a wonderful film! Sign me up .

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

Post #: 201
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 8/2/2009 9:02:45 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Welcome Mr Bond... (Hard not to say that in a funny voice...)

You've only just seen it you say? Any thoughts?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 202
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 8/2/2009 9:06:35 PM   
Olaf

quote:

- The music from the very beginning is repeated when he buries his 'brother', which obvious as it may be, I hadn't noticed before. It's music you only hear when Plainview is digging, and I wonder if there's some significance there.

Do you have a copy of Jonny Greenwood's score, Homer? Absolutely masterful stuff, robbed at the Oscars.(Though I'm possibly a bit biased towards it.)

< Message edited by Olaf -- 8/2/2009 9:07:25 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 203
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 9/2/2009 4:35:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Do you have a copy of Jonny Greenwood's score, Homer? Absolutely masterful stuff, robbed at the Oscars.(Though I'm possibly a bit biased towards it.)

A great score, but it was Ratatouille's music that was robbed!

Much more better!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 204
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 9/2/2009 10:05:10 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

Welcome Mr Bond... (Hard not to say that in a funny voice...)

You've only just seen it you say? Any thoughts?

Well, I'd seen the quote "I drink your milkshake" etc. around the forum, so I was listening out for that, partly to hear how epic it sounded . Day-Lewis was excellent, confirming he's still a powerful force in the acting world. At the moment I can't think of anyone who could better him. The opening was great - no dialogue - just action, establishing Plainview's character. The score was wonderful, full of discordant music (very Shining-like). Paul Dano was good, but I felt he was a tad too comedic. Plainview, as a character, was a right bastard! ("Bastard in a Basket!!" etc.) Great script too. Probably one of the best films of the decade - and the film will be remembered as a highlight of the decade, I'm sure. Good to see so many Westerns of the last few years!

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

Post #: 205
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 9/2/2009 10:33:30 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

Paul Dano was good, but I felt he was a tad too comedic.

I thought the same on first viewing. Now after a few more times I've found his performance really fits the character. Eli is a showman who compensates for his lack of faith through overblown performances in church. But TWBB is also blackly comic at times too, usually in the scenes between Plainview and Eli so again I think it fits quite well.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 206
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 10/2/2009 12:34:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I've just borrowed Oil! from the library which I'll be reading once I finish my current book (nearly done). From the spiel on the back it looks like it'll be very dissimilar to the film, but should be interesting nevertheless.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 207
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 11/2/2009 4:34:20 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I've just borrowed Oil! from the library which I'll be reading once I finish my current book (nearly done). From the spiel on the back it looks like it'll be very dissimilar to the film, but should be interesting nevertheless.

Ages ago you asked me if I could let you know what the book was like compared to the film. I still haven't read it!

Much more better!

Post #: 208
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 11/2/2009 12:05:08 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Well here's an opportune, um, opportunity... I just finished my other book so I'll be starting Oil! later today. It seems to be trading off the success of TWBB by having DDL on the cover and a bar saying "the inspiration for the film..." or some such, despite it not being that similar from what I've read about it.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 209
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 21/2/2009 11:46:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

There Will Be Blood is premiering on Sky Movies this week. It's on Sky Movies Premiere on Sunday night at 21.45 and on Monday evening at 17.20.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI