Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 12:56:27 AM   
Horror Nut

I have a real craving to watch this now......will try and stick it on at some point tommorow.....good way to get in preperation for the festivities.

"Give me the blood, Lord, and let me get away!!!".

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 31
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 5:38:03 AM   
Lydia_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

"And if I have no teeth than I will gum you!" It's just a ridiculous line, delivered in a ridiculously over the top way, that just works perfectly.

Heh, you're right

I have to rush out tomorrow and buy a new dvd player. I think I'll break it in with There Will Be Blood

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 32
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 6:19:21 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

Oh, and who else wants that pic in the first post on a T-shirt? I sure as hell do!

As do I!

I want this one!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 33
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 9:05:36 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

It does just burrow under your skin doesn't it?

One of the most fascinating exchanges, and pivotal in our understanding of Plainview, is the conversations he has with his 'brother', about hating people. It gives some insight into the final scene. In addition the scene when Eli asks Plainview for his £5000 and Plainview scraps with him and stuff his face with oil, is a precursor to that final face off, I think.

Could well be. I'm sure at some point he says he wants to make enough money to get away from everyone. Basically, he doesn't like people  I find that the tension becomes almost unbearable, but it starts from literally the SECOND the film starts. The opening 15 minutes is just SO incredibly tense,and to pull that off with no dialogue is a work of genius. The scene where the oil catches fire is also both one of the scariest, and most beautiful scenes of the year. Johhny Greenwood should also be praised for his truley breathtaking score

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 34
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 11:05:53 AM   
homersimpson_esq

That relentless musical rhythm that starts when the oil first gushes just doesn't let up until they blow the hole in the next morning. I do wonder if that scene, with the oil coming in big and HW being deafened, all in one scene, isn't the moment where perhaps Plainview starts his descent to the final scene. Consider: that moment is when his fortunes change - he has made it big, with the first major 'ocean of oil' that is his. It's made him, as an oil man. But at the same time that which he has ostensibly used - his adopted son - now provides a major burden on this new journey. It's clear from some scenes that Plainview does have some semblance of feelings for HW (the one where HW returns from his school later on, for instance) but at this moment two parts of his life diverge: his son and his oil. That the injury of one is caused by the other is perhaps something that Plainview never quite justifies in his mind (and his subsequent explosion at Eli for his inability to cure HW, even though he knows he can't, also supports this idea). His life's work has destroyed the closest thing to family he has. And that's important too - throughout the film Plainview is alone, familially speaking. His son is adopted, and his brother is false. 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 35
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 11:24:57 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

While I thought Daniel Day Lewis was bloody amazing and the film undoubtedly an all round quality job there's a coldness to it that prevented me from really loving it.

The final scene however is simply stunning and one of the most insane pieces of cinema I've seen ever, lurching back and forth from absurdity to dark drama. You just have to laugh at the bravura performance from Day-Lewis, hold your hands up and acknowledge one of the greatest actors of all time totally on fire.

Post #: 36
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 11:33:37 AM   
Pigeon Army

"YOU'RE JUST A BASTARD IN A BASKET! A BASTARD IN A BASKET!" 

Love this film. I personally think Dano is better than Day-Lewis in this, mainly because DDL gets a little moustache-twirling pantomime villain at the end, but it's technically perfect and only let down by some crappy supporting performances (I hate Plainview's fake brother, and not because the character's a spineless fraud).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 37
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 12:35:11 PM   
homersimpson_esq

"I'm your brother... from another mother..."

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 38
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 3:10:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

The film is as much a great drama as it is a dark comedy.

I love Anderson, don't think I'll ever see a bad film from him.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 39
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 4:58:22 PM   
richCie

i need to watch this again (its on my christmas list...) but it was awesome.
also has the most intriguing trailer i'd ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3THVbr4hlY
i could not get that out of my head for days so had to go see the film.
Stunning cinematography and soundtrack aswell.

yes i REALLY need to see this again.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 40
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 5:59:55 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

While I thought Daniel Day Lewis was bloody amazing and the film undoubtedly an all round quality job there's a coldness to it that prevented me from really loving it.

Really? I found it to be quite emotionally engaging.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 41
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 6:37:27 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

First time I saw it, it was at a small, soon-to-be-demolished arthouse cinema with eight or so friends (it was one of their birthdays), and there were, like, five other people in the cinema.

Me and all my friends cracked up laughing at that line, and the old people two rows in front looked at us disapprovingly. It was great.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 42
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/12/2008 11:10:16 AM   
no1psh

Just watched it again last night and the scene near the end where H.W comes to see Plainview in his house is just amazing. You can see Plainview's utter disgust with H.W because he's just not anything like him, he's a good person who's doing well with his life and it justs eats Plainview alive. Plainview is full of hatred and you can see it pouring out of him. It's an amazing scene, just so powerful and Day-Lewis just owns the screen from start to finish. Brilliant!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 43
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/12/2008 11:35:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Helluva film for Christmas Eve! I like your style!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 44
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 25/12/2008 11:47:52 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Really? I found it to be quite emotionally engaging.

Yeah I agree with The Stew. I was watching Mark Kermode's review of the year thingy on iPlayer, and he played back the scene from your avatar, and he goes from that whisper and everything in that is amazing. When he breaks and starts yelling my whole body goes cold. Its an amazing moment.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 45
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 12:29:38 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

I would argue that Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the few big name directors who brings emotion and humanity to his movies. Where someone like Christopher Nolan can come across as quite cold and distant (with the possible exception of The Dark Knight)

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 46
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 2:34:33 AM   
Lydia_H

I watched it again today and my opinion improved a bit. Suppose I had different expectations. Still think Plainview is a pretty fragmented performance, but Day-Lewis does wonders in individual scenes even if maybe they don't link up too neatly. Anyway what really stood out and impressed me on this viewing was the soundtrack! One of the finest I've heard for a long time, it didn't really register on my first viewing.

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 47
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 10:31:17 AM   
tftrman

I watched this on Christmas Eve, it gets better with repeat viewings. After the baptism I'm intrigued to know what Plainview said to Eli, you can't hear it but whatever it is puts Eli at ease. I also enjoyed Dano's performance a bit more this time, the way his faith is actually arrogance. Love this film.

"I'm finished."

Post #: 48
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 4:09:04 PM   
impqueen

There Will Be Blood is second only to No Country For Old Men in my Top Films of 2008 and currently lies in 3rd place in my Films of the 21st Century (behind NCFOM and Jesse James) but I can see it leapfrogging the Coen’s sublime film because out of the two it‘s the one I find myself wanting to watch more. I haven’t seen NC since January (my first and only viewing) and I have resisted TWBB since my second viewing in March.

I found when watching TWBB the second time it evoked similar emotions as to when I watch Hitchcock’s Vertigo, unpleasant feelings of impending doom, I can feel the tension running through the film and my body, slowly building up until the pressure is almost unbearable and you just do not want to see what is going to happen (even though you already know) when that unstable pressure is released, it’s quite a viewing experience, which I love.

Err so yeah I like the film too.

Yes, always.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 49
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 5:08:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

I watched this on Christmas Eve, it gets better with repeat viewings. After the baptism I'm intrigued to know what Plainview said to Eli, you can't hear it but whatever it is puts Eli at ease. I also enjoyed Dano's performance a bit more this time, the way his faith is actually arrogance. Love this film.

"I'm finished."

I thought quite the opposite. I thought it was Plainview telling Eli the real reason why he agreed to be baptised, and what a sham the whole ceremony had effectively been. That Plainview had just duped Eli and allowed him to get the pipeline. It looked to me like more of a dawning realisation of horror on Eli's face, if memory serves, rather than a putting at east. I may be misremembering it, mind. Guess I'll have to watch it again!

Anyone else notice how we all seem to refer to Daniel Plainview by his surname and Eli Sunday by his first name? Maybe it's because there's a Paul Sunday too, but maybe it's indicative of how we view the characters too.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 50
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 5:17:06 PM   
tftrman

quote:

quote:

"I'm finished."

I thought quite the opposite. I thought it was Plainview telling Eli the real reason why he agreed to be baptised, and what a sham the whole ceremony had effectively been. That Plainview had just duped Eli and allowed him to get the pipeline. It looked to me like more of a dawning realisation of horror on Eli's face, if memory serves, rather than a putting at east. I may be misremembering it, mind. Guess I'll have to watch it again!

Anyone else notice how we all seem to refer to Daniel Plainview by his surname and Eli Sunday by his first name? Maybe it's because there's a Paul Sunday too, but maybe it's indicative of how we view the characters too.

He has kind of a look of shock on his face but then starts smiling so I can see why you'd think that too. It's an interesting question regarding the forname/surname issue, perhaps it's because Plainview is such a monster by the end.

Post #: 51
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 26/12/2008 6:21:34 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

"I'm finished."

I think i agree with you on the whispering too. I can't imagine, considering how Plainview is, that he would sugar coat anything and lie about it once he got his own way. But, due to the fact its a whisper, its left to us to make our own interpretation of it

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 52
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 27/12/2008 10:13:14 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

That relentless musical rhythm that starts when the oil first gushes just doesn't let up until they blow the hole in the next morning. I do wonder if that scene, with the oil coming in big and HW being deafened, all in one scene, isn't the moment where perhaps Plainview starts his descent to the final scene. Consider: that moment is when his fortunes change - he has made it big, with the first major 'ocean of oil' that is his. It's made him, as an oil man. But at the same time that which he has ostensibly used - his adopted son - now provides a major burden on this new journey. It's clear from some scenes that Plainview does have some semblance of feelings for HW (the one where HW returns from his school later on, for instance) but at this moment two parts of his life diverge: his son and his oil. That the injury of one is caused by the other is perhaps something that Plainview never quite justifies in his mind (and his subsequent explosion at Eli for his inability to cure HW, even though he knows he can't, also supports this idea). His life's work has destroyed the closest thing to family he has. And that's important too - throughout the film Plainview is alone, familially speaking. His son is adopted, and his brother is false. 

I think you're right! Up to this point, he's still quite vicious, but vicious to get his work done prperly and sell himself to get the job. He's then very agressiive in how he sells himself to the town where he will dig, and to the family who's ranch he wants, he's agressive, but very suttle about it. Once his son is deafened, it does all change, and his hatred for people intensifies to breaking point

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 53
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 27/12/2008 7:29:56 PM   
no1psh

quote:

quote:

"I'm finished."

I think it's the stature of the elder statesman why we just use his second name. It's more powerful, if we started calling him Daniel it would not have the same impact. Whereas 'Eli' is just a boy and it's easier too refer to him as such. In my opinion anyway.

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

Post #: 54
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 27/12/2008 10:48:27 PM   
richCie

i got it for christmas! (arrived today) yay.
watch it next week i expect.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 55
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/12/2008 2:41:10 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I would love to join this club. TWBB blew me away. A friend of mine said it was shite but I watched it anyway. Next day, I slapped that friend of mine. It was f***** brilliant (TWBB I mean, but slapping my friend was also quite brilliant)

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 56
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/12/2008 9:58:58 AM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

I would love to join this club. TWBB blew me away. A friend of mine said it was shite but I watched it anyway. Next day, I slapped that friend of mine. It was f***** brilliant (TWBB I mean, but slapping my friend was also quite brilliant)

You should've thrown wooden skittles at him!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 57
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/12/2008 3:03:50 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

"I'm finished."

I thought it was "I told you I would eat you! I told you I would eat you up!"

Or am I mistaken?

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 58
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/12/2008 6:03:01 PM   
W.R Learmont

banana avatar" border=0 align="absmiddle" width="100" height="100" />

i remember watching the end of the film in an almost empty cinema and deciding it was a masterpiece. im a complete fan of the film and love discussing it with friends. such a powerful film that needs to be seen by all film fans.

Post #: 59
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 28/12/2008 9:46:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

"I'm finished."

I thought it was "I told you I would eat you! I told you I would eat you up!"

Or am I mistaken?

Sort of. He says that at the end, which is perhaps a reference to this scene since we don't hear him say that anywhere else.Which would mean he is saying 'I will eat you' which if nothing else is potentially misleading...!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI